It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
GE0DZ: and I also can no longer find the link for the Offline installer (though that may be my search engine DuckDuckGo).
Not quite sure how your search engine would come into play here. Click on a game in your library, offline installers are on the bottom left of the card that just popped up.
low rated
I'm still actually boycotting. I bought one game for someone else in the Secret Santa thread and also received one that was unexpected (but welcome!) since I'd signed up as an Elf. That was partially in response to people saying GOG said they were going to focus more on DRM-free and partially because I regretted pulling out last year when I decided to start boycotting.

Krogan32: With this group getting smaller and smaller, Time4Tea admitting that he is not actually engaging in a boycott, and a sheer multitude of offtopic shenanigans going on throughout this thread, I formerly request moderators finally close this embarrassment of a thread. The self admitted faux outrage from these "boycotters" (yet not actually boycotting) has gone on long enough.
Not sure why you should get to decide if someone else's thread gets closed even if you do do it "formally". I am not in "faux outrage". I'm unhappy that GOG aren't sticking to the DRM-free principles that made me want to shop here in the first place. Once they confirm exactly what DRM-free means to them and if they are against it or not I will decide how much shopping I want to do here.

It seems to me that all of the people complaining about the boycott must be worried it's causing GOG trouble otherwise it seems like a huge waste of time for you to keep reading this thread and complaining about it.
low rated
EnforcerSunWoo: Boycotts are 100% or nothing, there is no other percentage that is viable. You either are boycotting or you're not, it is just that simple. If "Goodwill purchases" or whatever nonsense you can come up with helps you sleep at night then go ahead and lie to yourselves. You cannot have it both ways, it only makes the people doing it hypocrites. Do it right or at least have the balls to pull your name off the list if you're still making purchases. This is just sickening.

BTW, I see that I was listed as being sympathetic, please remove me from that as well as it means nothing if the people listed as boycotting aren't 100% following through.
No problem, I have taken you off the list. Your arguments to me make no sense. You are basically saying that 80%/90% may as well be 0%, because it is not 100%. It's either 100% or nothing - a simple case of a black and white fallacy.

Frankly, you seem to be another example of someone who didn't truly buy in to the boycott in the first place, who seems to care more about semantics than the cause we are protesting about.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by Time4Tea
low rated
HappyPunkPotato: I'm still actually boycotting. I bought one game for someone else in the Secret Santa thread and also received one that was unexpected (but welcome!) since I'd signed up as an Elf. That was partially in response to people saying GOG said they were going to focus more on DRM-free and partially because I regretted pulling out last year when I decided to start boycotting.

Krogan32: With this group getting smaller and smaller, Time4Tea admitting that he is not actually engaging in a boycott, and a sheer multitude of offtopic shenanigans going on throughout this thread, I formerly request moderators finally close this embarrassment of a thread. The self admitted faux outrage from these "boycotters" (yet not actually boycotting) has gone on long enough.
HappyPunkPotato: Not sure why you should get to decide if someone else's thread gets closed even if you do do it "formally". I am not in "faux outrage". I'm unhappy that GOG aren't sticking to the DRM-free principles that made me want to shop here in the first place. Once they confirm exactly what DRM-free means to them and if they are against it or not I will decide how much shopping I want to do here.

It seems to me that all of the people complaining about the boycott must be worried it's causing GOG trouble otherwise it seems like a huge waste of time for you to keep reading this thread and complaining about it.
Your "boycott" doesn't mean a damn thing as you are all still buying stuff from GOG, thus it's not actually a boycott. Again, it's all faux outrage. This thread needs to be closed down on that simple fact alone.
low rated
Time4Tea: Frankly, you seem to be another example of someone who didn't truly buy in to the boycott in the first place, who seems to care more about semantics than the cause we are protesting about.
Following your own twisted logic of "partial boycott" I'm sure many of us formerly on the sympathetic list were boycotting just as much as you are now. I was. Hell, with this "boycott by percentage" I could argue I still am. I won't because words mean something and I don't throw them around lightly.

Right now you're not only being a hypocrite, you're also turning crusty and mean against people who used to support you because they dare hold you accountable. You have no one but yourself to blame. Don't take it out on others, acting like you have some moral high ground. A very poor show, old chap.

Sidenote: I also counted myself "sympathetic" to the boycott because the quality of arguments brough against it was so abysmal I couldn't help but want to express my oposition to such despondently woeful level of discourse. But now, when the arguments of the boycotters are reaching the same level of farcicality, I have no desire to support anyone in this showdown of illogic.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by Breja
low rated
Krogan32: Your "boycott" doesn't mean a damn thing as you are all still buying stuff from GOG,
Just want to quickly point out that the bolded part is incorrect. That's a weird ass thing to bring up, to begin with, since there's a rather high risk to be wrong about it and tbf it's not even needed for your argument to have legitimacy.
low rated
Krogan32: Your "boycott" doesn't mean a damn thing as you are all still buying stuff from GOG, thus it's not actually a boycott. Again, it's all faux outrage. This thread needs to be closed down on that simple fact alone.
It's not "outrage" and it's not "faux". I'm not "still buying stuff from GOG". I bougt one thing for someone else because I promised to last year before I started my boycott. Let's go back to the vegan analogy again. I was vegan for 5 years then I bought one sausage a year ago and it won't happen again. By you're logic, at what point could I say I was vegan again and why do all of the animals I didn't eat suddenly count for nothing?

I could call this my second boycott, if you prefer.
low rated
Do we really need to start this again, this definition discussions that leads to nothing?

Yes, language and precision matters, but I think especially in the first postings it's very easy to see and explained what's all about. People are for different reasons unhappy about GOG and therefore changed their buying behavior. Some drastically by buying anything, others in drastically reducing their expanses. We can now all sit together and find the exact definition for this, but at the end it's quite easy, this thread describes the lost of trust and goodwill of many due to many different reasons combined with still hope that something could change. GOG and we could use this thread as feedback, as a starting point about what is broken and how it could be fixed so people like me and many others feel more comfortable again to buy anything or more here again. I personally said exactly for that reason in the beginning I don't boycott but sympathize with it, because in my case the lack of trust resulted in a change in my goodwill and my buying behavior that will miss GOG much more money in the long run as maybe just a boycott - after a boycott many people will likely catch up their missed sales, but people like me who had many impulse buys due to goodwill ("hey, it's DRM-free and my money goes to the right people, it's fine adding more stuff to my cart and backlog as planned") will still still check every purchase in detail.

Btw, to add something to the list of criticism, while I was updating/rebuilding my mac backups (I needed to move to the new ARM platform and so old 32bit mac installers become obsolete for me, which are btw only on the product page and not in the library) I realized again that GOG did not update the changelogs for a very long time, instead you need to check "the what's update? thread" where the community collects the changelogs from different sources. Also while browsing the library I see more and more this stupid bundles that let you rebuy stuff you already own (as example Retro First Friday Collection, BloodRayne Absolute Bundle) while on the other hand there was just one bundle (Paradox) in the Winter Sale that gave a higher discount by buying more games from the bundle. In that case even Steam is more fair to his customers, as in some cases it excludes the owned games from the bundles and gives a lower price.

Combined with all the other problems I feel I need to check many things before I buy here, which means in short I feel not comfortable. GOG need to start communicating, be more transparent, be more precise what DRM means to them today and start to fix their infrastructure.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by DukeNukemForever
low rated
Krogan32: Your "boycott" doesn't mean a damn thing as you are all still buying stuff from GOG, thus it's not actually a boycott. Again, it's all faux outrage. This thread needs to be closed down on that simple fact alone.
HappyPunkPotato: It's not "outrage" and it's not "faux". I'm not "still buying stuff from GOG". I bougt one thing for someone else because I promised to last year before I started my boycott. Let's go back to the vegan analogy again. I was vegan for 5 years then I bought one sausage a year ago and it won't happen again. By you're logic, at what point could I say I was vegan again and why do all of the animals I didn't eat suddenly count for nothing?

I could call this my second boycott, if you prefer.
Whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. However, the fact is you engaged in a faux boycott because you bought something. Trying to justify that you are engaging in a "second" boycott just means it's only a matter of time before you engage in a "third", and a "fourth", and a "fifth", etc... Your convictions are faux.
Krogan32: Your "boycott" doesn't mean a damn thing as you are all still buying stuff from GOG,
lolplatypus: Just want to quickly point out that the bolded part is incorrect. That's a weird ass thing to bring up, to begin with, since there's a rather high risk to be wrong about it and tbf it's not even needed for your argument to have legitimacy.
When someone follows an individual who claims to boycott GoG, yet publicly stated that he is not boycotting GoG as he is still buying games from GoG, then that person better be prepared to be lumped into the leader's fakery.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by Krogan32
low rated
It seems correct to say this: at first, I was in with the boycott. I asked to be moved in the sympathetic list when things started to improve -although there is still much to do to recover for certain lows- and I bought Mechanicus, one of the very few purchases I made last year.

Now I asked to be removed altogether because, despite still thinking GOG needs a proper kick in the groin, I find my priorities on the matter divergent to what is stated in the OP. That's it.
low rated
Krogan32: Whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. However, the fact is you engaged in a faux boycott because you bought something. Trying to justify that you are engaging in a "second" boycott just means it's only a matter of time before you engage in a "third", and a "fourth", and a "fifth", etc... Your convictions are faux.
Nope, I'm not trying to justify anything, just pointing out how stupid your logic is. You're so concerned with me buying one game while boycotting but not concerned with GOG selling a game with DRM when they said they wouldn't? I'm starting to think the problem here is actually you needing to make yourself feel better because you see others with conviction and lack your own.

Why exactly are you so desperate to prove we're not boycotting? You must be feeling some genuine outrage!
low rated
Krogan32: When someone follows an individual who claims to boycott GoG, yet publicly stated that he is not boycotting GoG as he is still buying games from GoG, then that person better be prepared to be lumped into the leader's fakery.
So your claims being blatantly wrong don't matter, because someone else's claims are, too, and those are bad and yours aren't. Because this in fact isn't a bunch of different people with different critiques and motivations as has been claimed pretty much from the start, but a cult with a leader everyone else is following.

I'm glad that's cleared up. Almost fooled myself there.

Enebias: It seems correct to say this: at first, I was in with the boycott. I asked to be moved in the sympathetic list when things started to improve -although there is still much to do to recover for certain lows- and I bought Mechanicus, one of the very few purchases I made last year.

Now I asked to be removed altogether because, despite still thinking GOG needs a proper kick in the groin, I find my priorities on the matter divergent to what is stated in the OP. That's it.
To be honest I'm not having a lot of overlap with the OP, myself. GOG has just become more and more unattractive to me due to several points that are barely covered in the OP. I just wanted on the list when Hitman released, because that was egregious and related enough that I felt this needed a boost. GOG addressed that, so with the next game I'm buying I'll be off the list again. I just failed to purchase anything so far, because
lolplatypus: GOG has just become more and more unattractive to me due to several points that are barely covered in the OP.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by lolplatypus
low rated
I committed myself 100% to the boycott for the entirety of 2021, but when the Hitman debacle ended with them removing it from the store, I decided to give GOG one last chance. If they could manage to make it to the new year without fucking up, I would revise my position and make some very limited, high-discount-only purchases of things I had no alternative source for.

I asked in PM to be moved to the sympathetic list a week ago, but that didn't get a reply, so I'll ask again here. Either move me to sympathetic, or remove me overall, your call. I'm not sure if it matters at this point either way however, as now that I've been made aware that the thread creator can't abide by his own rules, this whole thing has been irrevocably damaged, a house of cards just waiting to fall.

I feel like a fool for thinking there were some legitimate convictions behind this whole affair. Words matter, a protest involving not buying product is not a percentage and your words are hollow if your boycott comes with an asterisk. Furthermore, thanks to this show of hypocrisy, you've not only crippled the legitimacy of the protest, but for anyone who's seen it, the possible perception of whatever protests may follow.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by ReynardFox
low rated
Krogan32: Whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. However, the fact is you engaged in a faux boycott because you bought something. Trying to justify that you are engaging in a "second" boycott just means it's only a matter of time before you engage in a "third", and a "fourth", and a "fifth", etc... Your convictions are faux.
HappyPunkPotato: Nope, I'm not trying to justify anything, just pointing out how stupid your logic is. You're so concerned with me buying one game while boycotting but not concerned with GOG selling a game with DRM when they said they wouldn't? I'm starting to think the problem here is actually you needing to make yourself feel better because you see others with conviction and lack your own.

Why exactly are you so desperate to prove we're not boycotting? You must be feeling some genuine outrage!
What GoG has or has not done is irrelevant. YOU said were boycotting them. YOU went against your own boycott by buying games from GoG. YOU are the one justifying your faux boycott by saying "I'm engaging in a second boycott." Your attempts at deflection have failed. Anyways, since you've sufficiently destroyed your own stance and credibility, there's nothing left to discuss with you on this topic.
low rated
rjbuffchix: What is the "harm" in some of us using a term you don't like us using? Shouldn't you be hounding GOG to define the term DRM-free and for them to get rid of DRM/DRM-like/online connection requirements in games here?
lolplatypus: To be fair, while I generally agree with you and your prior post about application, the point of all this isn't (shouldn't be, at least) to communicate within our little subgroup, but to communicate something to GOG. Unfortunately those channels are very limited to begin with. What we're communicating is that a subset of the userbase is dissatisfied with some things GOG has been doing. But how this is prioritized is already very vague. Arguing the definition of 'boycott' furthermore makes consequences very vague.

I get the criticism. Imagine you're GOG. Some people don't like some things and maybe they spend less money. This is difficult to act on and maybe even difficult to justify acting on.
Thanks for honest engagement with this point. It probably got lost in the shuffle but I believe I have actually addressed what you're bringing up. If we step back and look on a broad level, this Boycotting topic is full of various individual demands and perspectives, some outright contradictory with one another which is where difficulty would occur on GOG's side of things. However, I think GOG could look at certain demands as "low-risk" in the sense that to make changes on these points would bring certain customers back while not turning off others.

An example I gave previously is the "My Rewards" cosmetic content in Cyberpunk which is currently locked behind a Galaxy requirement; this would be "low-risk" to fix and make accessible to offline installer users, considering that no one (besides GOG/CDPR) is insisting the content must stay locked behind the client requirement. I would think a couple other relatively "easy" fixes would be for GOG to offer more detailed explanation about the situation with Devotion and the situation with the Hitman DRMed release. Perhaps we should keep brainstorming and ask for easy fixes first.
ReynardFox: I'm not sure if it matters at this point either way however, as now that I've been made aware that the thread creator can't abide by his own rules, this whole thing has been irrevocably damaged, a house of cards just waiting to fall.

I feel like a fool for thinking there were some legitimate convictions behind this whole affair. Words matter, a protest involving not buying product is not a percentage and your words are hollow if your boycott comes with an asterisk. Furthermore, thanks to this show of hypocrisy, you've not only crippled the legitimacy of the protest, but for anyone who's seen it, the possible perception of whatever protests may follow.
Again, if one's own rules are "boycott, with exceptions" there is no violation by engaging in the exceptions. Enough of this gatekeeping please. I commend those who have fully boycotted (some even earlier than 2021). But this has devolved into some weird contest with some of you folks where only the most pure boycotters are supposedly allowed. Can we detract "tr00 boycotter points" if you are not doing everything in your power to spread the word on social media, commenting on GOG youtube videos, telling people you know in daily life to raise awareness?

At the end of the day this topic is a bunch of people dissatisfied with GOG. I think that much is clear. How about we remain united in our demands regardless of whose boycott is the truest? Surely that is more productive at getting GOG's attention to fix them. The only thing getting their attention now is the increasing amount of off-topic posts arguing linguistics and dictionaries, which is likely to result in the topic being locked. I humbly ask you and any other definition prescriptivist to dial back such discussion and return to the issues GOG should be fixing.
Post edited January 08, 2022 by rjbuffchix