It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sand in the Wind (Robert Roth)

Continuing my rereading the best books from my teen years program. I read this when I was 13 and never forgot it. Reading it again now, it's still close to one of the best stories I've ever read. Robert Roth was a College graduate that enlisted in the US Marines and went to Vietnam with the intention of writing a fictional story. Sand in the Wind is his story about a College graduate that enlists in the US Marines and goes to Vietnam to write a book. It's not an autobiography, it's totally fictional- but feels extremely authentic. Though it is not credited anywhere, I'm certain many scenes from this book were inspirational for the movie "Platoon", some scenes are just too similar to be coincidence.
Chasse Royale - Rois du Monde II-I / De meute à mort - Jean-Philippe Jaworski

Yeah, the title is long, it's because the real title is the last part, "De meute à mort" (From herd to death). Chasse royale (Royal Hunt) is the title of the series, and Rois du Monde II-I (Kings of the World II-I) means it's the first part of the second volume of the "Rois du Monde" part of the series. It's complicated. ^_^

It's complicated but it's very good, even if you will certainly have to read French to read it, because I don't think it has been translated.

So, it's the following of the book I've read last year, and we still follow the adventures of Bellovese, a Celt warrior of royal ascend, who got cursed, and came back from the dead. Lots and lots of politics, magic and action in what is a tale of political change, betrayal and alliances. The descriptions are gripping, Jean-Philippe Jaworski (who also wrote several table role-playing games) know how to bring you in his world. If you can read French, it's a must read, I think.

So far in 2020: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/books_finished_in_2020/post9
Take a heavy dose of Robert A. Heinlein's novella Universe
[IMG]
(which totally blew me away when I first started reading SF in English),
a lighter dose of A. Bertram Chandler's Giant Killer
[IMG]

and mix the generation ship gone wrong, the mutants, the reverting to a lower tech level and to superstition, the Giants, the clever mutated rats, and add some clever twists of your own, and you have Brian W. Aldiss' first novel Non-Stop (1958) : 4/5
[IMG]

Reading chronologically I consider Aldiss "the most promising new writer" of the second half of the 1950's, and he didn't disappoint with his first novel, even though the plot was very derivative, and the prose not as ambitious as in many of his short stories but more like Heinlein's. The protagonist - Roy Complain - is not very Heinleinian, though. He's neither named after an American hero, nor is he a Competent Man, but rather a follower who has doubts about himself. But he has hidden qualities.

I read this novel some decades ago, but didn't remember much of it now except that there was twist at the end, and that I didn't think it was nowhere near as good as Universe. Now I think it may be objectively better, but it misses that illusive quality called Sense of Wonder that Universe had. But of course much has to do with timing and the order in which you read the stories.

Aldiss' novel has a more complex plot and his starship a more complex ecology with "ponics" covering most of the ground and growing very fast, and escaped animals living in it. And there's mutations, but it's explained in a different way than the usual radioactivity (which by 1958 was known not to cause such mutations). There's a nod to Joe-Jim Gregory from Universe:
‘What about the Forwards people?’ the boy asked. ‘Do they have green faces?’
‘We are coming to them,’ Fermour said, lowering his voice so that the youthful audience crowded nearer. ‘I have told you what happens if you keep to the lateral corridors of the world. But if you can get on to the main corridor you get on to a highway that takes you straight to distant parts of the world. And then you may arrive in the territory of Forwards.’
‘Have they really all got two heads?’ a little girl asked.

Aldiss was still a neophyte when it came to writing "spicy" stuff:
Sweat stood out on Complain’s face, and he noticed Vyann’s blouse sticking to her breasts; for him they were the sweetest fruits aboard the ship.

I thought this was funny, and it's getting more applicable every day:
Periodically among the tribes witch-hunts were held; but the suspects, when carved up for examination, always had hearts and lungs. The Outsiders invariably escaped detection – but everyone knew they were here: the very fact that witch-hunts took place proved it.

And while the protagonists in Universe revered the ship manual or something, in this novel it's a more advanced religion, but with a very different Holy Trinity:
The Teaching warned him that his mind was a foul place. The holy trinity, Froyd, Yung and Bassit, had gone alone through the terrible barriers of sleep, death’s brother; there they found – not nothing, as man had formerly believed – but grottoes and subterranean labyrinths full of ghouls and evil treasure, leeches, and the lusts that burn like acid. Man stood revealed to himself: a creature of infinite complexity and horror. It was the aim of the Teaching to let as much of this miasmic stuff out to the surface as possible. But supposing the Teaching had never gone far enough?
It spoke, allegorically, of conscious and subconscious. Supposing there was a real Subconscious, a being capable of taking over the mind of a man? Had the trinity been down all the slimy corridors? Was this Subconscious the madman who screamed inside him?

So an entertaining read, which I would have rated higher had it been more original.

And it would have made a great computer game, or at least the ship would have made a good setting for a TC for Unreal Tournament or something. Well, for all I know, it may have already been done.
Post edited June 09, 2020 by PetrusOctavianus
I have read and liked both Universe and Non-Stop :-) I agree about the sense of wonder in Heinlein's novella but it is not very strong literature as I found out when I re-read it many years later.
The generational ship is a trope of SF as much as first contact stories or ruined world stories. Give the man Aldiss a break. As you may know, Heinlein did not invent the concept. The idea had been dealt with seriously since at least 1918 (Goddard). There have been so many treatments of this.

Aldiss made an intriguing world of lush vegetation and eventually some feelings that are unmistakably British in the way of living in an island. No need to compare this book to anyone else's. Even if the concept was not even remotely new, he managed to make the world and the story unique enough.
Post edited June 10, 2020 by Carradice
Carradice: The generational ship is a trope of SF as much as first contact stories or ruined world stories. Give the man Aldiss a break. As you may know, Heinlein did not invent the concept. The idea had been dealt with seriously since at least 1918 (Goddard). There have been so many treatments of this.

Aldiss made an intriguing world of lush vegetation and eventually some feelings that are unmistakably British in the way of living in an island. No need to compare this book to anyone else's. Even if the concept was not even remotely new, he managed to make the world and the story unique enough.
Which is why I gave it 4/5.

Anyway, AFAIK Heinlein did invent the generation ship gone wrong trope, and both Chandler's story, Frank M. Robinson's The Oceans Are Wide and Aldiss' story are heavily inspired by Heinlein's story. Aldiss himself said in an interview that Non-Stop was a reaction to Universe/Orphans of the Sky, which he thought lacked emotion. It's more than just using the concept of a generation ship.

Personally I think it's very interesting too see how SF developed and who influenced who.
Some writer have good ideas, but squander them with bad prose and flat characters, while others are good at perfecting the tropes. Aldiss was good at both original ideas, polishing, and writing good prose in a variety of styles.
Post edited June 10, 2020 by PetrusOctavianus

Anyway, AFAIK Heinlein did invent the generation ship gone wrong trope,
No need to write in bold. It does not diminish Heinlein's merit that he was not the first writing about the concept.
Proxima Centauri, by Murray Leinster (1935). This story appears in Asimov's Before the Golden Age.

Short stories. The lifeblood of SF. Most SF ideas start there.

Anyway, AFAIK Heinlein did invent the generation ship gone wrong trope,
Carradice: No need to write in bold. It does not diminish Heinlein's merit that he was not the first writing about the concept.
Proxima Centauri, by Murray Leinster (1935). This story appears in Asimov's Before the Golden Age.
A story I skipped, but from a synopsis it's not about a generation ship, but about a ship traveling close to the light speed. But it does have a mutiny, though, and was an inspiration for Heinlein's Universe.

Short stories. The lifeblood of SF. Most SF ideas start there.
Amen.
Tarzan and the Lost Empire, by ERB. This has a bit in common with the previous book, but while that book featured Tarzan encountering a lost Crusader kingdom, this one is about Tarzan finding a lost outpost of the ancient Romans. Tarzan is searching for the son of a friend, Erich von Harben (ERB was apparently feeling charitable toward Germans around this time), who's gone missing. Erich ends up being captured by one lost Roman city, while Tarzan gets caught by that city's rival at the opposite side of the valley.

On one hand, the book features more of Tarzan in action compared to the last one. Von Harben is a likable but not very dynamic hero, so you don't get as much of his adventures in impressing his Roman hosts and he mostly ends up being a hostage. OTOH, I kind of preferred the flow of the prior book. There's a good deal of Tarzan sitting in prison cells, waiting and plotting for what he's going to do when he's forced to compete in gladiator games (now I've got this urge to go watch Gladiator for the first time in a while).

This book does have one of my favorite villain names ever: Fulvus Fupus. It just sounds repulsively gross.
The Witches of Wenshar by Barbara Hambly
Sun Wolf and Starhawk came down south to the desert looking for mage teachers to train Sun Wolf. They hire on with an alcoholic king with a self proclaimed White Witch in his household. I have 2 other related books by Barbara Hambly, haven't read them in years. I barely remember Sun Wolf and Starhawk, but I enjoyed these books.
PetrusOctavianus: ...
That collection of stories is worth checking. They are the ones that impressed Asimov more when he was a kid. Not one fails to entertain. Very recommended.
DavidOrion93: The Witches of Wenshar by Barbara Hambly
Sun Wolf and Starhawk came down south to the desert looking for mage teachers to train Sun Wolf. They hire on with an alcoholic king with a self proclaimed White Witch in his household. I have 2 other related books by Barbara Hambly, haven't read them in years. I barely remember Sun Wolf and Starhawk, but I enjoyed these books.
So you like it? I hear wonders about Dragonsbane. It seems she has a penchant for antiheroes in fantasy. What is her writing like?
Post edited June 12, 2020 by Carradice
DavidOrion93: The Witches of Wenshar by Barbara Hambly
Carradice: So you like it? I hear wonders about Dragonsbane. It seems she has a penchant for antiheroes in fantasy. What is her writing like?
Yes, I do. Her writing is a bit gritty and detailed in emotions. Does that help?
I'll have to look up Dragonsbane, thanks. I can get lucky and find some good reading gems in Goodwill stores.
PetrusOctavianus: ...
Carradice: That collection of stories is worth checking. They are the ones that impressed Asimov more when he was a kid. Not one fails to entertain. Very recommended.
Really?

I have Before the Golden Age already in my Calibre library, and I've read about half of them.
The only one I really liked was Old Faithful. Sidewise in Time, Born of the Sun and Parasite Planet were pretty good too. The rest I either didn't care for or can't even remember much about.

But Asimov missed some of the better stories from that era IMO, like A Martian Odyssey by Stanley Weinbaum, which IIRC Asimov recognizes in the foreword, and there's not a single story by David H. Keller, who was IMO the most interesting SF writer of that era.
John Wyndham also had some decent stories.
A personal favourite of mine is The Martian by A. Rowley Hilliard. It's like a prototype of ET, and quite moving.

I'm not so sure if I would recommend the book for the stories. But it's probably worth it for Asimov's generous comments. That's one thing I like about Asimov; he loved talking about himself, his stories and how they came about, making his collections automatically more interesting than most. I really enjoyed The Early Asimov, for example, even if there's lots of stinkers, especially the "Half-Breed" stories.
Carradice: So you like it? I hear wonders about Dragonsbane. It seems she has a penchant for antiheroes in fantasy. What is her writing like?
DavidOrion93: Yes, I do. Her writing is a bit gritty and detailed in emotions. Does that help?
I'll have to look up Dragonsbane, thanks. I can get lucky and find some good reading gems in Goodwill stores.
Yes, it helps. Thank you! I had heard only about the anti-heroics and irony. I think I will go for it. There are sequels, but no idea about them. If it works for me, then I might check the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books as well (apparently, The Ladie sof Mandrigyn is the first, and The Witches of Wenshar the second).
DavidOrion93: Tai-Pan by James Clavell
I found, read Shogun and loved it years ago. I was happy to find Tai-Pan. It seems to mean great lord in chinese.
It takes place in 1841 South China. Hong Kong, a barren island has been awarded to Great Britain after a war. A group of international traders, with British military support, is eager to colonize Hong Kong.
James Clavell engages in drama and suspense, with a cast of numerous characters with their conflicts and motivations. I look forward to finding more books by James Clavell.
Since you liked Shogun, maybe, maybe you might like this one:

James Webb. The Emperor's General.

Set in the last stages of WW2 in the Pacific, and the inmediate aftermath. In the Philipines and Japan. An aide of MacArthur offers his view about some events historical events in which he gets to participate. It has a little for everyone. You will get to like general Yamashita. Also, you will learn about the ambiguity of the title. A page turner.

The author is also a former Navy officer, Secretary of the Navy, senator. He knows his chops about writing, plus his knowledge about the military and political struggles shows.
Post edited June 13, 2020 by Carradice