It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ciemnogrodzianin: ★☆☆ Learning Jupyter / Dan Toomey
JamesssssSmith:
The problem with the book is that it's not exactly about Jupyter. If I remember correctly, it covers a lot of python and R, some programming subjects, but on the other hand it does not explain some useful unique features of Jupyter itself (like e.g. cell magic). Perhaps it's a matter of my expectations. I use Jupyter Lab every single day and I hoped I'll learn something new - especially that I'm aware there are interesting features I don't fully use.
PetrusOctavianus: Regarding the classics, Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist and David Copperfield (but not Pickwick Papers), Tolstoi's War and Peace and Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility are still quite readable IMO, with W&P having the most interesting subject matter and S&S easily the least interesting.
Well some do transcend the times a bit. And often it is about the relationship you have with an author, that rarely dissipates over time. Just like many find it easier to start a story by an author they know, than a new one.

PetrusOctavianus: Much harder to read is stuff like Ivanhoe and The Worm Ouroboros due to the archaic language being used, but being Norwegian I didn't personally have much problems since olde English is closer to Norwegian than modern English is, so I found these two books very enjoyable.
Want a challenge, try The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson, if you haven't ... now that's archaic, but a brilliant story never-the-less. WARNING - There is an abridged version that modifies the archaic element to be more reader friendly.

PetrusOctavianus: I found Moby Dick vastly overrated, since 2/3 of the book are like essays about whales and whaling and the first person narrator Ishmael after the first chapters kind of disappears as a character.
Can't disagree with you. And while some (or many) struggle with The Lord Of The Rings, they should try Moby Dick first, as that may increase their appreciation of the LOTR ... make it a breeze comparatively.

PetrusOctavianus: Overall I've found the old mainstream classics, and also the works by Edgar Allan Poe and Arthur Machen, to be quite enjoyable.
For me, as I have said, it is all about mood and approach, and while there may be exceptions to some degree, amongst the classics, modern books are almost always (the good ones) much easier to read.

Like old movies, that used suggestion more than dishing everything up to you, you often had to expand upon things like character yourself, going by various clues you were given. Some people are clearly better at that than others, and much is about being immersed in the period, where there was a different way of looking at many things. Many of those things, can seem forced now, as has been said, but I rarely thought that way 30 to 45 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then ... women's rights, gay movement, racial discrimination, basic human rights even, mental issues, child abuse, veganism, etc etc. It means the consideration and approach to many things now, is very different. Basically a very different mindset in many ways.

You could equate it to Black & White TV versus Color. While I of course prefer Color, I don't have an issue with B&W. Not so for most younger people I know, as they can't stand B&W. I was about 9 when we got our first TV, and Color was unheard of at that point, and we never got a color TV until I was in my mid to late teens. Up until then, color was only something you saw at the Cinema etc. B&W did not stop me enjoying movies etc on TV. And I can revisit now easily, without a problem. It's part of my mindset. I know that younger people, once they immerse themselves in a B&W world for a while, do adjust to the point of virtually not noticing or caring.
Post edited September 14, 2020 by Timboli
The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm translated by Jack Zipes

Princes and princesses abounds in this large volume. From the commoners winning a kingdom, to the princess blessed with gifts. Old women in forests are to be avoided, they are witches.
I liked The Fisherman and his wife, for the outlandish descriptions of the soldiers and monarch's ceremonial dress.
Most Black Humorous story: The Dog and the Sparrow
Surprisingly, there are animal welfare stories, encouraging to treat your animals right.
There is a religious section supposedly for kids, but I found it depressing.

Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand by Samuel Delany

Alien cultures clash with each other.
A man named Korga is RATted(Radical Anxiety Treatment; critical thinking mind zapped) to be a slave on a desert world, Rhynon. Korga miraculously survived possible Culture Fugue(self world suicide; referred to throughout the book) but alien ships were found present. He is saved by the Web, an small? elite stellar (galactic internet?) organization. His mind is treated by artifact rings from a long dead empire despot.
A man named Marq Deth, an industrial diplomat from Velm meets Korga. They instantly fall in love with each other. Apparently soulmates, I guess.
But news of Korga's survival spreads fast, becomes a celebrity in Velm. But Korga's celebrity becomes a liability because reasons. The Web moves Korga off Velm. Alien ships again were found around Velm and left.
What I found interesting was the stellar background. The galaxy is pretty much decentralized. Few planets have world governments.
It's not for everyone. Samuel writes about homosexuality in this book.
Post edited November 04, 2020 by DavidOrion93
DavidOrion93: Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand by Samuel Delany

[...]
It's not for everyone. Samuel writes about homosexuality in this book.
This brought to mind a short story by Samuel S. Delany. One published in 2017, after a long spell without writing SF.
The Hermit of Houston. Very good, but not for everyone.

It was published in Fantasy and Science Fiction. Later it has been antologized. Really recommended to give it a shot.

This is what Locus online said about the story.
Post edited September 17, 2020 by Carradice
Include me

Back from the Dead - Nick Kyme
Galaxy In Flames - Ben Counter
Nightbringer - Graham McNeill
Xenos - Dan Abnett
Malleus - Dan Abnett
Skyward - Brandon Sanderson
Soul Hunter - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Vernon Subutex - Virginie Despentes
Earlier today I finally finished To Kill a Mockingbird, I didn't care much for the POV character so I found the book a little bit dull, but some parts were very good.

Since the last time I posted here I also read three (really, really short) poetry books by Alejandra Pizarnik.

I'm still reading (slowly) a bunch of stuff and recently added this to my list:
Narrative of a Voyage to Senegal in 1816 by J. B. Henry Savigny and Alexander Corréard.
Random_Coffee: ...
Welcome on board!
Soul Hunter - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

This is hands down one of the best Warhammer 40K novels I've read. The prose and imagery is really something else, and it's as brutal and ultra-violent as you expect 40K to be. It's about the Night Lords traitor legion (best described as goth space pirates), and the wacky, insane characters make this a greatly entertaining journey through the immaterium! My e-reader died while reading this, so I had to read the rest of it on my phone. It's kind of a crude way to read books, but I might start the next book soon, Blood Reaver if I'm desperate enough for more.

Vernon Subutex - Virginie Despentes

This book was recommended to me by a French backpacker I invited into my house for beer and shelter one summer evening, and it did not disappoint. A tale of sex, drugs and rock n roll set in present day Paris. I loved the style it was written in, and the Norwegian translation was excellent. There's a lot of different characters, all of them wildly different and with their own quirks. There's a lot of topical themes in here as well. All around really great stuff. I started VS2 right away after finishing this.

Random_Coffee: ...
ciemnogrodzianin: Welcome on board!
Thank you!
Timboli: Want a challenge, try The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson, if you haven't ... now that's archaic, but a brilliant story never-the-less. WARNING - There is an abridged version that modifies the archaic element to be more reader friendly.
Partly upon your recommendation I borrowed this book at the library a couple of days ago. My initial reaction:
"So I started reading The Night Land, which has been praised both here and on GOG. But after one chapter I'm not sure I can take another 300 pages of a story without a single line of dialogue, and the weird syntax being used which reminded me of my horror when I tried to read Samuel R. Delaney's Dahlgren. It's not nearly as extreme, though, and I quickly got used to it, but still the style really grates on me.
And the protagonist reminded me of James Bond of all characters; they way he's lucky enough to be able to demonstrate his superior alpha manliness to the beautiful Lady Mirdath when she's attacked by three footpads. And I had to laugh at the "have you been working out?" moment when she gasps in astonishment because it's "so great and hard". "

There's a slightly childish feel to the way the story is told, except the style is admittedly quite poetic, but lack of any dialogue and 300 pages is just to much of a turn-off.
So I think I'll try The House on the Borderlands instead.
PetrusOctavianus: There's a slightly childish feel to the way the story is told, except the style is admittedly quite poetic, but lack of any dialogue and 300 pages is just to much of a turn-off.
Well I did say it would be a challenge. It's not an easy read for a few reasons, but once you get in far enough to grasp enough, there is a unique magic about it with a sort of Gothic Horror Religious SciFi Fantasy Eerie feel.

Not sure how old you are, but if you are less than 30, you would have additional issues relating etc. Hell, even someone born in the 80s would struggle with the style and approach. Not saying it is much easier for those born in the 70s either or even earlier. It does help though, if you are familiar with stories that contain Thees and Thous and so on.

Don't know if you checked the author out, but he was just getting into his stride when he was killed in 1918 during the First World War. And the style of the Night Land was a once off for him, to try and capture an archaic sort of alternate reality kind of feel much like what you get with the works of E.R. Eddison (Worm Ouroboros etc).

The period he was writing in had a much simpler view on life and very religious, which no doubt comes across a bit childish these days. And of course an author to be successful back then, had to be clever with their limited target audience. The world back then had very set stereotypes of what a true man and woman were, and strong notions on chivalry and honor and romantic love and sacrifice and dedication. We live in an extremely different world now.

William Hope Hodgson

The Night Land (1912)

Project Gutenburg downloads

PetrusOctavianus: .... the weird syntax being used which reminded me of my horror when I tried to read Samuel R. Delaney's Dahlgren. It's not nearly as extreme, though, and I quickly got used to it, but still the style really grates on me.
I remember trying to read Dahlgren back in the late 70s or early 80s, and I couldn't finish it. Not because of the style as such, which I don't recall any difficulty with, but because the main character turned out to be a male homosexual, and I was quite anti-Gay back then. I'd actually been enjoying the story up to that point, so it was a kind of conundrum for me, but fear of corruption and a strong dislike of being put into the mind of a Gay person, eventually won out, and I stopped reading. I have a notion I should go back and try that novel again, now that I have a much more enlightened modern view of Gay people. The irony I suppose in some way, is that I was probably reading Jerry Cornelius novels by Michael Moorcock back in that period or maybe slightly later. I only recall stopping a book due to Gayness, on one other occasion during my life, which was the first book in a series by the author Elizabeth A. Lynn I think.

I'm not usually someone who doesn't complete what I start reading, so I could probably count on one hand, maybe two, the occasions where that has occurred. Generally I am pretty good at judging a book before I read it. I also have this fundamental belief in respecting an author where it is apparent they have worked hard and been diligent, and many stories are slow burners, especially back in the day.

And now for a funny related story about The Night Land.

I bought the novel as new, though pretty sure it was on a sales table, and I eventually got around to reading it. It was a thick paperback novel, and as I got to the end, I realized there had been a publishing error and the last portion of the novel was missing. I was horrified, and to some degree the story was spoiled for me ... first reads like first watches and listens are vitally important to my mind. Things are rarely the same when you revisit or break for too long. I am the sort of person who wants to watch a good movie from start to finish without interruption, and definitely a must for first watch. I am also like that the first time I listen to an album by an artist I love ... I isolate myself somewhere, usually the car for the first listen. I guess I should say 'used to do that', because it is much harder these days to achieve it.

Anyway, back to the book. I could not find another copy anywhere, not even at a library. I eventually found a crappy poor quality second hand copy of the Lin Carter abridged version, and had to make do with that to finish the story. In the end, I worked out the last 100 pages roughly were missing from my flawed copy. In all my years of reading, that is the only time something like that has happened to me on that scale. I've had the odd missing page or chapters or paragraphs out of order, but that's it.

I never have read the complete unabridged version of The Night Land, though as soon as it became available as an ebook at The Gutenburg Project I grabbed it, along with all the other available stories by that author, most still unread by me. I am unlikely to ever read The Night Land again, too much hard work in an era of so many easier reads ... and I have an ever growing huge backlog. It is a classic though, and I am glad I read it, because I liked it overall. In some way it also reminds me a touch of Out Of The Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis and Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake, though they are much easier reads by comparison, and written much later. If I recall rightly, they were fans of William Hope Hodgson, as was Michael Moorcock and many other newer authors, Tolkien included.

P.S. There is something else I recall about that Lin Carter abridged version. He published it in two parts, and I got the second part only in poor condition. You might find the abridged version a better read, as it modifies the archaic style text to be more familiar or readable by modern standards. To me though and many others, the archaic style is integral, and I have never been tempted to find a complete abridged copy. I missed that element when reading the modified version.
Post edited September 27, 2020 by Timboli
Timboli: Not sure how old you are, but if you are less than 30, you would have additional issues relating etc. Hell, even someone born in the 80s would struggle with the style and approach. Not saying it is much easier for those born in the 70s either or even earlier. It does help though, if you are familiar with stories that contain Thees and Thous and so on.

Don't know if you checked the author out, but he was just getting into his stride when he was killed in 1918 during the First World War. And the style of the Night Land was a once off for him, to try and capture an archaic sort of alternate reality kind of feel much like what you get with the works of E.R. Eddison (Worm Ouroboros etc).
I'm over 50, and I've already read and enjoyed Ouroboros, as well as Ivanhoe and Tolkien's Lost Tales, so I'm not adverse to an archaic style. But Hodgon's style looks a bit "phony" to me.

I actually have more problems with a story where characters interact having no dialogue at all. That's what I meant by "childish"; the way everything is told in a linear "I did that, and then I did that and so on" kind of style.
PetrusOctavianus: I'm over 50, and I've already read and enjoyed Ouroboros, as well as Ivanhoe and Tolkien's Lost Tales, so I'm not adverse to an archaic style. But Hodgon's style looks a bit "phony" to me.

I actually have more problems with a story where characters interact having no dialogue at all. That's what I meant by "childish"; the way everything is told in a linear "I did that, and then I did that and so on" kind of style.
They call that Journal style, and it was something kind of more common at that time than now. I don't see it as being childish, just more like something very personal you might see in a diary. What was more evident to me when I read it, was the outdated view on love and gender roles, which would be seen as sexist and simplistic, even childish in today's terms. But that's how most were back then, especially in the 1700 setting the book opens in.

His archaic style is reminiscent of that period, plus something all his own, to give it a weird unique flavor. It makes it hard to read initially, until you get used to it, and it does give an 'other' worldly feel to it. It has been speculated it was his first book, though published much later, and though his imagination is strong, his skill seems amateurish ... which is so often the case with a first book.

P.S. I read it about 30 years ago, in my early 30s.
If anyone is interested in all things Night Land, it has a few followers, and none more so than fan fiction authors I guess, which can be found via this site - https://nightland.website/

William Hope Hodgson also did an abridged novella version of his book, called The Dream of X

That is not the abridged version I read part of.

There is also a Public Domain audiobook
James Stoddard is an author with a few accolades, and gets a pretty good wrap for his retelling of The Night Land.

The Night Land, A Story Retold

Apparently he does more than just retell the story without the archaic element, but also improves upon characterizations etc.

I was impressed enough by the sound of it, to purchase the ebook just now at Amazon.

And if anything, the author John C. Wright and his book Awake In The Night Land, get an even better wrap, so I bought that too.

P.S. Some of those free Night Land stories I linked to in my previous post, seem to read okay too.

EDIT
There is also this translated to modern English version, that has some of the longer passages trimmed.

The Night Land: from the Future-Archaic by John Swapceinski & William Hope Hodgson.
Alas, Babylon (1959) by Pat Frank :3.5/5

One and a half years after Sputnik, which was the start of the Space Age and which also caused some panic in the US, the premise of this novel is that the Russians also have a lead in the capacity for nuclear war and that they will use the advantage before the Americans can catch up with them.

So basically a combination of The Day After, Earth Abides, On The Beach, John Wyndham's "cosy catastrophes", The Death of Grass, and with the ending [spoiler]like Robert Bloch's Daybroke.[/spoiler]

Judging from the description of his first novel - Mr. Adam - about the last fertile man in the world, I had my doubts about Pat Frank, who was not part of the SF community, but worked mainly as a journalist.
But it's a good read, even if it doesn't break much new ground.
The beginning is the best and most original, with multiple POVs of quite fleshed out characters, and some exciting scenes from the world of the fly boys. But gradually most of the characters fade into the background, things revolve more around Randy Bragg, the leader of a community of survivors in Florida, and except for locale (I can't think of many stories taking place in Florida) I felt I had already read most of the story in Earth Abides and Death of Grass.
I'm sure it would have made a bigger impact on me if I hadn't already read most or all of the classic (post) apocalyptic novels.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by PetrusOctavianus