It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cavalary: There are still codes around, from those who already had it. See 3 in the Community Giveaway at the moment.
Thanks for the tip.

I read all of the rather long rules at post #1, so I presume I went to the right place and did it right.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_community_giveaway_gog_edition_redux/post1363
Post edited December 17, 2019 by Timboli
Just finished The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley and as it stands, I'd have to go 4/5 stars. Absolutely loved it, and can't wait to get through Blue Sword now!
angine: Just finished The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley and as it stands, I'd have to go 4/5 stars. Absolutely loved it, and can't wait to get through Blue Sword now!
She's a great author. I read most of her books many years ago.
★★★ The War of the Worlds / H.G. Wells
★★★ Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results / Stephen Guise
★★☆ Meditations / Marcus Aurelius
★☆☆ Getting Things Done / James Fallows David Allen
★★★ Python Tricks / Dan Bader
★★☆ Broad Peak. Niebo i piekło / Bartek Dobroch, Przemyław Wilczyński
★★☆ Kult / Łukasz Orbitowski
★☆☆ Ograć nawyki / Jadwiga Korzeniewska
★★☆ Route 66 nie istnieje / Wojciech Orliński
★★☆ Głosy. Co słyszał morderca? / Dionisios Sturis, Ewa Winnicka
★★☆ Sierżant Cuff / Krzysztof Komander, Kinga Krzemińska
★☆☆ Cień Bafometa / Stefan Grabiński

List of all books read in 2019.
xa_chan: I was worng, I still had time to read a bit! ^_^

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
I read that several years ago and quite enjoyed it, though to be honest I prefer Pratchett's own books in most cases.

Not much of his I haven't read now, just the last couple of Disc World and the Long Earth series and Dodger I think ... and some of his more recent short story collections.

Now that he has passed on I am savoring each of those.
Finally read Foundation by Isaak Asimov (only the first book so far). Not very impressive by modern standards, but it's quite clear how this exact book influenced modern sci-fi and pushed the limits of story complexity and scale.
LootHunter: Finally read Foundation by Isaak Asimov (only the first book so far). Not very impressive by modern standards, but it's quite clear how this exact book influenced modern sci-fi and pushed the limits of story complexity and scale.
That is definitely on my 'To Read' list. I've read many of his robot stories and novels, and enjoyed them greatly.
Keep reading, it gets better.
Just started a new author I came across a couple of weeks ago - CRAIG A. FALCONER. His 'The Contact Trilogy: Books 1-3' had been promoted to me by BookBub, and I liked the sound of the hugely best selling series, so bought it for $0.99 AUD.

He has just released Book 4 in the series, which is 40% discounted at the moment, so I thought I better make a start with reading the trilogy. I hope it is as good as it sounds.

My reading list for 2019

The Contact Trilogy at Amazon

P.S. By the way, if you join his email list you get to download a short story prequel to the series for free.
Post edited December 21, 2019 by Timboli
Warbreaker

It's unusual for me to even be able to stand a person, and next to impossible to actually like one, so finding characters infuriating, human or human-like ones in particular, tends to be the norm. Therefore, coming from me, it's high praise to find it hard to name a character I disliked, and even more so to have actually been quite fond of most, seeing them as worth supporting and cheering for and simply wanting to know more about them, for them to be featured more prominently. There was probably Treledees, and the God King's priests in general, but nowhere near the level one would expect, and of course there are things to be said about that as well. And yes, Vivenna was frustrating much of the time, but I could understand her as well, see where she was coming from and how she was developing. The others, whether intended as heroes or villains, if one could even tell which was which, gave me few reasons for complaint, and the exchanges between Lightsong and Blushweaver were quite delicious.
Otherwise, Sanderson does what he does best, creating and explaining detailed magic systems that are much closer to a form of science than one would generally expect. In addition, despite being a single book and therefore needing to focus on what is directly relevant, Warbreaker doesn't do a bad job of explaining the important elements of the world it takes place in, and even finds space for some philosophy and wisdom. And it definitely keeps you on your toes, at first with some smaller twists and turns, but eventually turning everything around a few different times, in ways that are likely to baffle at first but which definitely make sense in hindsight.
There are some things about the ending that seem somewhat forced though, yet that and the fact that it is, at least at the moment, a single book and therefore can't offer nearly as many details as the world and the systems, and also the characters, would deserve are pretty much the only complaints I have.

Rating: 4/5
Post edited December 21, 2019 by Cavalary
I finished Sins of Empire.

I was hoping to get through Wrath of Empire as well before the year finished, but a cold has stopped me from enjoying myself.
Sadly none. I've been meaning to finish book 10 of The Wheel of Time but couldn't find the time. Definitely need to finish the series this year.
I'm sorry not to update more. The tablet that I used for reading ebooks are given to a cousin of mine who needed it more.

Hope 2020 is better and I can buy a new cheap tablet for reading ebooks and mangas later.
INCLUDE ME

My list with subjective ratings (based on how much I enjoyed the book) from 0 to 5.

A Mirror for Observers (1954) by Edgar Pangborn 2.5

David Copperfield (1850) by Charles Dickens 4.5

Gladiator-At-Law (1954) by Frederik Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth 4

Brain Wave (1954) by Poul Anderson 3

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954-55) Used to be a solid 5, but it seemed a bit "thinner" now that I reread it for the first time in more than ten years.

The Broken Sword (1954) by Poul Anderson 4

Shadow Watch (1999) by Jerome Preisler 3

The Chrysalids (1955) by John Wyndham 3.5

The End of Eternity (1955) by Isaac Asimov 4.5

The Long Tomorrow (1955) by Leigh Brackett 3

Martians, Go Home (1955) by Fredric Brown 3

The Crystal Shard (1988) by R. A. Salvatore 1.5

Double Star (1956) by Robert A. Heinlein 4

The Shrinking Man (1956) by Richard Matheson 2

Moby Dick (1851) by Herman Melville 2

The Stars My Destination (1956) by Alfred Bester 4.5

The Door into Summer (1956) by Robert A. Heinlein 4.5

The City and the Stars (1956) by Arthur C. Clarke 3.5

The Naked Sun (1956) by Isaac Asimov 4

The Death of Grass (1956) by John Christopher 3.5

The Seedling Stars (1956) by James Blish 3.5
Post edited January 01, 2020 by PetrusOctavianus
PetrusOctavianus: ...
Welcome on board and thanks for joining us! :D

Are you reading in some sort of chronological order or it's just a coincidence how your list looks like? :)

Please, consider also joining the new 2020 thread.