It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are two things that matter to all of us gamers: the games we play and the friends we play them with. But as more titles come with dedicated launchers and clients, our games and gaming buddies become scattered in between them. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms!

As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client,” Karwowski adds. “GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.

Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. All new library and friends features apply to your GOG.COM games and enhance your experience. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

Experience GOG GALAXY 2.0 yourself — sign up for the closed beta at www.gogalaxy.com and be among the first to get access to it!

Learn more about our vision.
Main features and what to expect once GOG GALAXY 2.0 officially launches.

Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.

Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

Your Friends.
Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.

No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.

See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.

See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.

We’re not spying on data from your computer.

With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Your GOG Client.
All new library management and friends features take your experience to the next level.

The best way to run and update your GOG games.

Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.

The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.

More
Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.

Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 will be available for Windows and Mac for free.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by elcook
Kristian: I did the math, a $50k Linux port would be 0.2% of that $24M development budget. Far from out of proportion to the Linux user base.

Edit2:

Oops, GOG of course uses PLN and not USD. So the math is a bit different.But while the a port cost of $50k might come closer to the proportion of Linux users we could expect on GOG, it still would not be higher than than number.
tfishell: How did you come to the estimation of the port costing around $50k? I assumed it would be significantly more costly.
It could certainly costs more, but I doubt it would be significantly more costly. But that also depends on what you mean by "significantly". I just doubt it will be in the millions or even several 100k.

But one way of thinking about this would be that $50k is a pretty typical goal for a yearly salary and many Linux ports have been done by a single person over a few weeks or months while that person has had other projects on their plate.

Edit:

So while a programmer might make or strife to make more than $50k the fact that the project might be some fraction of a man year could compensate for that, even considerably so.

Also what would indicate that Galaxy could be on a relatively simple end of ports is that all known building blocks and middleware used in it is cross platform combined with the fact that it already has a Mac version.
Post edited May 27, 2019 by Kristian
GOG.com: Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.

Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.
I hope it has that purpleglow around, customization is very important. (The theme of the galaxy is my favorite)
Kristian: So while a programmer might make or strife to make more than $50k the fact that the project might be some fraction of a man year could compensate for that, even considerably so.
Considering the salaries in pooland, $50k isn't low-ball for a year of FTE.
Also what would indicate that Galaxy could be on a relatively simple end of ports is that all known building blocks and middleware used in it is cross platform combined with the fact that it already has a Mac version.
Indeed. There's no reason to believe it should be a big and expensive project.
ShawnHopscotch: *Does Origin have a backup/restore tool?

No.

*Does Uplay have a backup/restore tool?

No.
Actually, they technically do. Both include a locate game folder option. So you simply copy the game folder, click locate files and they will verify them rather than re-downloading. Still need internet but they do have a "backup" feature of sorts. Similar to how Galaxy 1.0 restores games (if you don't use the offline installers).

ShawnHopscotch: If GOG Galaxy 2.0 is going to scan our computers to consolodate all of our games (including those from Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Microsoft, Arc, etc.) into one library managed by GOG Galaxy 2.0, could the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client include a backup tool to back up everything added to the consolodated video game library onto removable media (CD/DVD/BluRay)?
Probably not, especially when these other services have DRM which would prevent that most likely. GOG Galaxy 2.0 doesn't handle the installation or verify any game files for third party services. These other clients still have to handle the games, what Galaxy 2.0 does it put everything in a convenient location so that you can easily launch everything from one central hub and still have access to stats and friends. When you click on a game from say Steam, Steam will still launch in the background and Steam will still handle updates, cloud saves, etc.

Even if Galaxy 2.0 was to say backup a game from Steam, Steam would probably still be needed to verify the files (meaning you would still have to launch Steam and have internet) before Steam would even recognize the game.

Then their are games like those from the MS Store which are UWP and are sandboxed. Making them hard to work with.
Kristian: 22211 votes as of this writing: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/release_the_gog_galaxy_client_for_linux

I wonder what the threshold is for GOG to make it a priority.

Edit:

They completed number 2, 4, 5, 6 and a bunch of others before number 1: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#order=votes_total

I suggest that when Galaxy 2.0 has launched with the full feature set they are advertising for it, they do not add any new features until number one can be marked "complete".
If that number is overrepresented to a similar degree as linux crashes/support requests are then that amounts to only about 111 windows votes. ;)
paladin181: They also won't be able to offer a back-up utility for legal reasons.
clarry: That's just not true. There's nothing illegal about offering backup utilities, and plenty of companies do.
Not going to argue with you, just stating that copyright laws could be drawn into play and it wouldn't be worth it for them to develop such a system, nor defend it in court against those who don't want their files to be backed up. Whether they are legally right or not, they're not going to piss off VALVe or Epic or EA or anyone or any publishers they do business with in order to be "right".
erbello: After releasing of the Galaxy 2, will Galaxy 1 stay as the Galaxy Classic with it's own updates?
I wouldn't imagine so. Assuming that Galaxy 2.0 does everything that Galaxy 1.0 does, is there a particular reason you'd want them to keep going with 1.0?
Kristian: 22211 votes as of this writing: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/release_the_gog_galaxy_client_for_linux

I wonder what the threshold is for GOG to make it a priority.

Edit:

They completed number 2, 4, 5, 6 and a bunch of others before number 1: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#order=votes_total

I suggest that when Galaxy 2.0 has launched with the full feature set they are advertising for it, they do not add any new features until number one can be marked "complete".
Xjph: If that number is overrepresented to a similar degree as linux crashes/support requests are then that amounts to only about 111 windows votes. ;)
It seems that was false: https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/1082360256204865541
Xjph: If that number is overrepresented to a similar degree as linux crashes/support requests are then that amounts to only about 111 windows votes. ;)
Kristian: It seems that was false: https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/1082360256204865541
You should've kept reading the thread: https://twitter.com/bgolus/status/1082358874080866304

That said, I made my prior post rather tongue-in-cheek. A linux client would be nice to see.
Post edited May 27, 2019 by Xjph
Xjph: You should've kept reading the thread: https://twitter.com/bgolus/status/1082358874080866304

That said, I made my prior post rather tongue-in-cheek. A linux client would be nice to see.
This...it would please a good number of people and net GOG some much needed PR.
clarry: That's just not true. There's nothing illegal about offering backup utilities, and plenty of companies do.
paladin181: Not going to argue with you, just stating that copyright laws could be drawn into play and it wouldn't be worth it for them to develop such a system, nor defend it in court against those who don't want their files to be backed up. Whether they are legally right or not, they're not going to piss off VALVe or Epic or EA or anyone or any publishers they do business with in order to be "right".
It wouldn't piss them off because all those companies are well aware that it's firmly established by case precedent that it's not illegal. It would amount to a frivolous lawsuit.

Now it's true that, in the U.S. at least, anyone can sue anyone any time for any reason, but (A) if a judge determines that a lawsuit is legally frivolous, there can be unpleasant consequences decided by the judge, (B) that would also result in negative publicity for the company, and (C) it's not all that relevant -- you could pick *any* topic and say "a company could sue over that" -- since they could sue over anything at all.

Bottom line, pretty much clarry is in the right here, and indeed it's not worth arguing with them over it -- but because there isn't any real argument to be found.
paladin181: Not going to argue with you, just stating that copyright laws could be drawn into play and it wouldn't be worth it for them to develop such a system, nor defend it in court against those who don't want their files to be backed up. Whether they are legally right or not, they're not going to piss off VALVe or Epic or EA or anyone or any publishers they do business with in order to be "right".
faroot: It wouldn't piss them off because all those companies are well aware that it's firmly established by case precedent that it's not illegal. It would amount to a frivolous lawsuit.

Now it's true that, in the U.S. at least, anyone can sue anyone any time for any reason, but (A) if a judge determines that a lawsuit is legally frivolous, there can be unpleasant consequences decided by the judge, (B) that would also result in negative publicity for the company, and (C) it's not all that relevant -- you could pick *any* topic and say "a company could sue over that" -- since they could sue over anything at all.

Bottom line, pretty much clarry is in the right here, and indeed it's not worth arguing with them over it -- but because there isn't any real argument to be found.
Cite the case precedent if you would be so kind.
erbello: After releasing of the Galaxy 2, will Galaxy 1 stay as the Galaxy Classic with it's own updates?
SirPrimalform: I wouldn't imagine so. Assuming that Galaxy 2.0 does everything that Galaxy 1.0 does, is there a particular reason you'd want them to keep going with 1.0?
It would make no sense. If you don't want integration with games/players from other platforms, just don't add them to the client and stay with the ones from GOG. That's the advantage of a flexible client.
I want to install Galaxy 2. It will be amazing. My ask was just asking ;)
Yeah, there's a vicious circle here: crappy hardware drivers because the manufacturers are not releasing the needed low-level documentation => various issues in various apps => bigger headaches for software manufacturers => less linux support => smaller linux user base => crappy hardware drivers etc etc etc. Add to this the big number of distros each with it's small changes in package names. libs or paths and you end up where we are right now.

From my personal experience:
For a while I could not work on .NET core projects on my laptop running openSUSE because the packagers changed the name of the libicu library and added suse to it's name. It took a while to get the package lookup in .NET enhanced to support openSUSE's different name of the library. And this change has not reach all projects using it (like the Razor extension in Visual Studio Code).
It also took more than a year to have my ASUS ROG laptop fully functional in openSUSE Tumbleweed (keyboard ROG functions and backlight were not working). I also had to move to Tumbleweed with the risks involved in running a rolling release just to have access to all the Ryzen goodies in the latest kernel version.

But still, I am personally interested in cross-platform software and I already invested some money in comercial software running on both linux and windows and having user-based license. I'd just wish there were more high quality commercial software targeting linux.

Btw, is 2.0 released yet? I powered yesterday my Win gaming rig for a 'Dead in Vinland' session and no update to GOG Galaxy 2.0 was presented.
Post edited May 28, 2019 by ShivaSi