It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are two things that matter to all of us gamers: the games we play and the friends we play them with. But as more titles come with dedicated launchers and clients, our games and gaming buddies become scattered in between them. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms!

As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client,” Karwowski adds. “GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.

Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. All new library and friends features apply to your GOG.COM games and enhance your experience. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

Experience GOG GALAXY 2.0 yourself — sign up for the closed beta at www.gogalaxy.com and be among the first to get access to it!

Learn more about our vision.
Main features and what to expect once GOG GALAXY 2.0 officially launches.

Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.

Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

Your Friends.
Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.

No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.

See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.

See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.

We’re not spying on data from your computer.

With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Your GOG Client.
All new library management and friends features take your experience to the next level.

The best way to run and update your GOG games.

Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.

The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.

More
Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.

Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 will be available for Windows and Mac for free.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by elcook
GOG made only 7.8k in profit last year. I don't understand why I'm supposed to be mad about them only supporting Windows and Mac, when they may not have the resources to make a Linux version. Valve has billions so they can work on what they want to.
tfishell: GOG made only 7.8k in profit last year. I don't understand why I'm supposed to be mad about them only supporting Windows and Mac, when they may not have the resources to make a Linux version. Valve has billions so they can work on what they want to.
Really? That surprises me a bit. I assume you got that number from some official source.

Then again, GOG has done a number of boneheaded things the last few years that burned through a ton of goodwill.

EDIT: Or did you mean 7.8m? Still not very much.
Post edited May 26, 2019 by hedwards
I could see HALO Master Chief Collection listed as one of the games being showcased. I really do hope that this is a hint that the game is indeed coming to GOG.
GOG.com: GOG GALAXY 2.0 will be available for Windows and Mac for free.
It would be nice if this information was available at the Beta sign up site. I had to go looking for this news post to learn if Galaxy was finally going to be supporting Linux or not.
tfishell: GOG made only 7.8k in profit last year. I don't understand why I'm supposed to be mad about them only supporting Windows and Mac, when they may not have the resources to make a Linux version. Valve has billions so they can work on what they want to.
You can assume exactly nothing about what that 7.8k profit means without knowing quite a bit about the accounting involved and how money was spent. The short version; you know that Amazon made no profit for most of its existence, right? And not because it was making mistakes, and not because it was a bad market to be in.

Revenue is often reinvested into a business. There can be carryovers of past losses to current years. There can be all kinds of complicated (but still ethical) bookkeeping.

And generally speaking, reports like that to shareholders and the SEC are often very pessimistic for various legal reasons (it's better to be conservative than to be optimistic in such things -- they are not marketing documents, and there are legal consequences).
hedwards: Really? That surprises me a bit. I assume you got that number from some official source.

Then again, GOG has done a number of boneheaded things the last few years that burned through a ton of goodwill.

There was a discussion here and here on Reddit, but should I have said net profit instead? They certainly made millions in the year (I think this year or a previous one they made something equivalent to 34 mil USD total?) but I guess spent a lot on R&D and Gwent issues? (so net profit was only 7.8k) Sorry it's late so I'm not doing much research now. (I wouldn't be surprised if GOG is starting to lose some income because people are realizing new games are at risk of being abandoned here, unfortunately all around.)

But in any case I look at that and I can't be mad at GOG for not spending money on such a small fraction of the userbase at least until they start bringing in more money.

faroot: You can assume exactly nothing about what that 7.8k profit means without knowing quite a bit about the accounting involved and how money was spent. The short version; you know that Amazon made no profit for most of its existence, right? And not because it was making mistakes, and not because it was a bad market to be in.

Revenue is often reinvested into a business. There can be carryovers of past losses to current years. There can be all kinds of complicated (but still ethical) bookkeeping.

And generally speaking, reports like that to shareholders and the SEC are often very pessimistic for various legal reasons (it's better to be conservative than to be optimistic in such things -- they are not marketing documents, and there are legal consequences).
Okay, good info for me to keep in mind.
Post edited May 26, 2019 by tfishell
tfishell: You can assume exactly nothing about what that 7.8k profit means without knowing quite a bit about the accounting involved and how money was spent. The short version; you know that Amazon made no profit for most of its existence, right? And not because it was making mistakes, and not because it was a bad market to be in.

Yep. In terms of sales revenue, there was nothing wrong with last year:

GOG 2016 sales revenue: 134M PLN (Net profit: 5M PLN)
GOG 2017 sales revenue: 170M PLN (Net profit: 16M PLN)
GOG 2018 sales revenue: 144M PLN (Net profit: 30k PLN)

They invested significantly more than before on development (of Galaxy, presumably, maybe on the webshite?):

GOG 2016 development expenditures: 2M PLN
GOG 2017 development expenditures: 7M PLN
GOG 2018 development expenditures: 24M PLN

Note how 2018 expenditures are more than the previous three years' net profit combined.
Post edited May 26, 2019 by clarry
tfishell: You can assume exactly nothing about what that 7.8k profit means without knowing quite a bit about the accounting involved and how money was spent. The short version; you know that Amazon made no profit for most of its existence, right? And not because it was making mistakes, and not because it was a bad market to be in.

clarry: Yep. In terms of sales revenue, there was nothing wrong with last year:

GOG 2016 sales revenue: 134M PLN (Net profit: 5M PLN)
GOG 2017 sales revenue: 170M PLN (Net profit: 16M PLN)
GOG 2018 sales revenue: 144M PLN (Net profit: 30k PLN)

They invested significantly more than before on development (of Galaxy, presumably, maybe on the webshite?):

GOG 2016 development expenditures: 2M PLN
GOG 2017 development expenditures: 7M PLN
GOG 2018 development expenditures: 24M PLN

Note how 2018 expenditures are more than the previous three years' net profit combined.
Yes, the real questions are how much of that 24M are spent on Linux, how much could be spent on Linux and how much should be spent on Linux.

The Linux community is under the impression that one minor feature or change after another have unnecessarily been prioritized higher than Linux support. The impression Linux users get is that GOG considers nearly everything more important.

Edit:

I did the math, a $50k Linux port would be 0.2% of that $24M development budget. Far from out of proportion to the Linux user base.

Edit2:

Oops, GOG of course uses PLN and not USD. So the math is a bit different.But while the a port cost of $50k might come closer to the proportion of Linux users we could expect on GOG, it still would not be higher than than number.
Post edited May 26, 2019 by Kristian
low rated
Fate-is-one-edge: It's easy to forget what you would be talking about, when barely anyone considers you worth talking to.
Oooooh, sick burn dude!
Do you have anything of substance to say or have you dedicated your life to the purpose of following me around reciting nonsense?
hedwards: Really? That surprises me a bit. I assume you got that number from some official source.

tfishell: There was a discussion here and here on Reddit, but should I have said net profit instead? They certainly made millions in the year (I think this year or a previous one they made something equivalent to 34 mil USD total?) but I guess spent a lot on R&D and Gwent issues? (so net profit was only 7.8k) Sorry it's late so I'm not doing much research now. (I wouldn't be surprised if GOG is starting to lose some income because people are realizing new games are at risk of being abandoned here, unfortunately all around.)

But in any case I look at that and I can't be mad at GOG for not spending money on such a small fraction of the userbase at least until they start bringing in more money.
I knew what you meant, but whether it's in the thousands or the millions it's still a tiny amount of money to have after covering costs. I wasn't sure if you'd meant an m rather than a k, which would have been plausible given that they're so close on the keyboard.

I do think that GOG is paying the price for the various missteps they've taken in how they interact with their customer base. I know that I have been buying fewer games as I haven't really appreciated some of things they've been doing and it's really cut into the amount of effort that I've been willing to put into contributing to the community.
hedwards: I do think that GOG is paying the price for the various missteps they've taken in how they interact with their customer base.
I think so too, thought this is likely impossible to measure.

I know that I have been buying fewer games as I haven't really appreciated some of things they've been doing and it's really cut into the amount of effort that I've been willing to put into contributing to the community.
I'm certainly buying fewer games these days and I'm not enthusiastic about how GOG's handled some things.. though it's hard for me to say how big of a factor that is. There's another factor, which is that I don't have much time to play games, I don't enjoy games, and I have too many games. Go figure.
hedwards: I do think that GOG is paying the price for the various missteps they've taken in how they interact with their customer base.
clarry: I think so too, thought this is likely impossible to measure.

I know that I have been buying fewer games as I haven't really appreciated some of things they've been doing and it's really cut into the amount of effort that I've been willing to put into contributing to the community.
clarry: I'm certainly buying fewer games these days and I'm not enthusiastic about how GOG's handled some things.. though it's hard for me to say how big of a factor that is. There's another factor, which is that I don't have much time to play games, I don't enjoy games, and I have too many games. Go figure.
Unless I'm mistaken, GOG isn't a publicly traded corporation, so we're not likely to get much official information on these things.

My suspicion is that if their profit was that low that it's by design. I would assume that in Europe it's legal to use R&D to reduce your tax bill. Probably with some restrictions. If they were legitimately running that close for other reasons, I would assume they'd either axe galaxy or focus on just providing bug fixes until that got sorted out.

I have no clue as to the extent to which other folks are slowing their purchases here, but with the addition of those new Blizzard games, I can't imagine them not being able to do substantially better than $8k if they wanted to.

Then again, wasn't it the Kindle Fire that wound up selling only 500 total units, despite a multimllion dollar ad campaign? I thought that was the one, but I know for a fact that there was a high profile cellphone flop a few years back where they didn't even manage to sell a thousand units.
GOG is owned by CD Projekt which IS publucally traded and they DO have GOG related info in their financial statements.
low rated
SirPrimalform: Denial of what? I forgot what we were talking about.
Fate-is-one-edge: It's easy to forget what you would be talking about, when barely anyone considers you worth talking to.
Dude, SPF isn't starting with you so why belittle him so much?
Kristian: I did the math, a $50k Linux port would be 0.2% of that $24M development budget. Far from out of proportion to the Linux user base.

Edit2:

Oops, GOG of course uses PLN and not USD. So the math is a bit different.But while the a port cost of $50k might come closer to the proportion of Linux users we could expect on GOG, it still would not be higher than than number.
How did you come to the estimation of the port costing around $50k? I assumed it would be significantly more costly.

hedwards: I do think that GOG is paying the price for the various missteps they've taken in how they interact with their customer base. I know that I have been buying fewer games as I haven't really appreciated some of things they've been doing and it's really cut into the amount of effort that I've been willing to put into contributing to the community.
I know if I bought new games I wouldn't buy them on GOG because of the potential for abandonment, and I wouldn't be surprised if a reputation for that is catching on (I've seen this fact pop up on r/games a few times with link to the 2nd class citiz thread). (As an aside, I still feel like I should try to promote Pajama Sam Vols here because Turnipslayerr - presumably - did me a solid by bringing those after I did some help figuring out game rights, but it can be rough b/c Retroism/Humongous doesn't seem to care about the GOG versions.)

Or it could be folks owning all they want from GOG ("I have all the classics I want from GOG") or whatever. Just theorizing of course.
Post edited May 27, 2019 by tfishell