It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are two things that matter to all of us gamers: the games we play and the friends we play them with. But as more titles come with dedicated launchers and clients, our games and gaming buddies become scattered in between them. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms!

As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client,” Karwowski adds. “GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.

Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. All new library and friends features apply to your GOG.COM games and enhance your experience. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

Experience GOG GALAXY 2.0 yourself — sign up for the closed beta at www.gogalaxy.com and be among the first to get access to it!

Learn more about our vision.
Main features and what to expect once GOG GALAXY 2.0 officially launches.

Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.

Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

Your Friends.
Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.

No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.

See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.

See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.

We’re not spying on data from your computer.

With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Your GOG Client.
All new library management and friends features take your experience to the next level.

The best way to run and update your GOG games.

Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.

The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.

More
Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.

Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 will be available for Windows and Mac for free.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by elcook
synfresh: Don't you think GoG looks at numbers like that and then considering the fact that their development/support team is a fraction of what Valve's is, you can understand why they are not ready to put out a Linux client.
lolplatypus: Speaking of limited resources, keep in mind that neither Itch nor Gamejolt have a problem providing their client on Linux. Meanwhile GOG announced Galaxy for Windows, Mac and Linux five years ago!. Not to mention, having effectively a relaunch in 2.0, at some point there had to be the question whether to go for additional features for 98%+ of their userbase or equal treatment of 100%. They chose the former.

Now if that's the direction GOG want to take, cool. I am quite happy for the majority that gets to benefit and I personally don't mean to shit on anyone's parade here.

That said, a small minority here are intentionally treated as second class customers. Can't fault anyone for getting a bit cranky over that, either.
I'm not familiar with itch nor gamjolt clients but are either of them have the many features of Galaxy. This is not even talking about version 2.0 which IMO is very ambitious (almost too much). It feels more and more that perhaps the biggest mistake GoG made was announce they were releasing a Linux version 5 years ago. I can imagine a scenario where they really believed they were be able to release a support a feature rich client on 3 different platforms (there's ambitious again) and then fell into the Galaxy black hole where they are constantly trying to make sure what you already have is working before you start working on something else. Now they are trying again to be ambitious and I cannot see how they are going to release a linux client in the middle of all that. They kind of put themselves in a corner by announcing it for Linux because now I don't think they want to say that it's not going to happen. So it just becomes this open ended promise that probably won't get fulfilled or it'll get done when the average GoG user doesn't care anymore (if they already don't).
GameRager: Thaks for the added clarification, but if I may ask: How does not having galaxy for linux stop GOG from releasing tested/already made linux versions of newly released titles through offline/site installers?
Kyousuke.: GOG has been a mixed bag linux support wise from many years, due to the way the situation evolved. If I recall correctly (or anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) GOG wasn't interested that much on linux at first, but after steam started the steamOS initiative back in the day and increased the number of steam games with linux native support, GOG wanted to add linux support. The problem is that already before galaxy, the linux support was very lacking on drm-free games, although you can find linux support on the steam version of the same game.

=================================

To add insult to the injury, GOG made an agreement with ubuntu, which is debian based, so the installers and games for linux here, could have issues with some distros which differentiate from it.

================================

Keep in mind to take all that I've said with a grain of salt, as I'm not a linux user (yet), but I try to be more knowledgeable on the matter.

What worries people is that, with GOG leaving so behind galaxy for linux, they may lower native linux support for many games to come, due to the team being 100% focused on windows only.

A last time, if anything I've said is false/wrong, feel free to correct me :)
1. If they added linux support/versions to GOG games after steam did then i'm guessing they did it for the same reasons they made/update galaxy.....i.e. to be like steam and draw some of it's userbase.

2. Not to sound rude but....proof of this claim(it has me intrigued a bit)?

3. Thanks for the info/replies and keeping it civil...it is refreshing compared to some of the more emotional/childish repliers that I deal with here.
synfresh: I'm not familiar with itch nor gamjolt clients but are either of them have the many features of Galaxy. This is not even talking about version 2.0 which IMO is very ambitious (almost too much). It feels more and more that perhaps the biggest mistake GoG made was announce they were releasing a Linux version 5 years ago.
IMHO their mistake was not going gradually for all platforms at once. I.e. first release incremental updater. Then work on multiplayer and stuff. Having it for many platforms wouldn't have been hard if they would have developed for all at the same pace and with clear milestones. No idea why they didn't do it. My only guess - their management handles Linux support very reluctantly and they don't care if Linux users will need to wait for years even for minimal features.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by shmerl
ticklingyou: With the amount of Linux users on here it really must be the year of Linux desktop.
shmerl: The number of Linux gamers is gradually growing, which includes GOG I suppose, though GOG don't publish OS usage stats. And it's only natural then to see Linux users complaining, when our platform is ignored while being one of the officially supported by GOG.
The number is growing, but the number is still very small and not attractive enough for GOG to provide more than bare bones support for(sadly).

As for GOG supporting linux....we all know why they did it......i.e. more sales and profit/word of mouth advertising from linux users. :\
"not attractive enough for GOG to provide more than bare bones support for(sadly)."

How can anyone say something like this in the absence of knowledge about the cost of porting Galaxy to Linux? Until the opposite is proven I will assume that GOG's decisions in this regard are based on assumptions and guesswork.
GameRager: The number is growing, but the number is still very small and not attractive enough for GOG to provide more than bare bones support for(sadly).
Apparently, and GOG avoided explaining that.
Johny.: We're sorry if it's something important for you, and for others.
ThumbtackJake: That came off as very condescending.
How is saying one is sorry condescending? Also, it's better than them basically acting like Dick Cheney as a Walmart Greeter.

Kristian: "not attractive enough for GOG to provide more than bare bones support for(sadly)."

How can anyone say something like this in the absence of knowledge about the cost of porting Galaxy to Linux? Until the opposite is proven I will assume that GOG's decisions in this regard are based on assumptions and guesswork.
We have some knowledge though.....the numbers of Linux users vs other OS users on average, for starters(and this would likely be a key deciding factor when choosing whether to make such decisions to further support linux users). To say we don't have ANY knowledge and/or that such ideas about GOG's inner workings are seemingly automatically wrong is misleading and just feeding one's own cognitive dissonance, imo.

GameRager: The number is growing, but the number is still very small and not attractive enough for GOG to provide more than bare bones support for(sadly).
shmerl: Apparently, and GOG avoided explaining that.
To be fair the ones explaining anything are low level staffers who either have no information/have a set script of replies to read from/make replies from or they have the info but cannot share it because higher level staff forbid it. :\
Post edited May 24, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: We have some knowledge though.....the numbers of Linux users vs other OS users on average, for starters(and this would likely be a key deciding factor when choosing whether to make such decisions to further support linux users). To say we don't have ANY knowledge and/or that such ideas about GOG's inner workings are seemingly automatically wrong is misleading and just feeding one's own cognitive dissonance, imo.
General numbers aren't very useful, since gaming market is different form global one. The only clear number of sales percentages we have is from Humble Bundles. And they are pretty good for Linux there, i.e. higher than Steam survey numbers on average.

GameRager: To be fair the ones explaining anything are low level staffers who either have no information/have a set script of replies to read from/make replies from or they have the info but cannot share it because higher level staff forbid it. :\
True, and it's the higher ups who are very dodgy and don't like answering such questions.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by shmerl
There are apparently enough Linux gamers for Valve, for Sega, for 2K Games, for Unity to have Linux support for their engine, for the Godot Engine to support their etc etc. Even for GOG so sell Linux games on Galaxy. Even for GOG to initially promise Linux support for Galaxy. There is no more reason to think that GOG's decision to not port Galaxy to Linux is based on accurate information than there is to think those other decisions by GOG and others were based on accurate information.
GameRager: We have some knowledge though.....the numbers of Linux users vs other OS users on average, for starters(and this would likely be a key deciding factor when choosing whether to make such decisions to further support linux users). To say we don't have ANY knowledge and/or that such ideas about GOG's inner workings are seemingly automatically wrong is misleading and just feeding one's own cognitive dissonance, imo.
shmerl: General numbers aren't very useful, since gaming market is different form global one. The only clear number of sales percentages we have is from Humble Bundles. And they are pretty good for Linux there, i.e. higher than Steam survey numbers on average.

=============================

GameRager: To be fair the ones explaining anything are low level staffers who either have no information/have a set script of replies to read from/make replies from or they have the info but cannot share it because higher level staff forbid it. :\
shmerl: True, and it's the higher ups who are very dodgy and don't like answering such questions.
Imo general numbers ARE useful in this case/instance because the number overall is such a low percentage to start with, and also because the number of actual linux desktop gamers is less than that.

=========================

Agreed

Kristian: There are apparently enough Linux gamers for Valve, for Sega, for 2K Games, for Unity to have Linux support for their engine, for the Godot Engine to support their etc etc. Even for GOG so sell Linux games on Galaxy. Even for GOG to initially promise Linux support for Galaxy. There is no more reason to think that GOG's decision to not port Galaxy to Linux is based on accurate information than there is to think those other decisions by GOG and others were based on accurate information.
They both likely do it for money, and Steam does it better because they have more time/money/etc to throw at it to make it work & can likely attract more gamers to their store(due to their size/scope).

You/others can argue against the obvious facts that they want to make money until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't make such any less true....and to deny such is naive at best.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by GameRager
I think I demonstrated conclusively in "edit2" to this post that business make irrational decisions ALL the time: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/bgog_galaxy_20b_all_your_games_and_friends_in_one_place_copy3_f000a/post582

Only by irrational decision after irrational decision after irrational decision can DirectX dominate instead of having its rightful market share of 0%.

Edit:

I am not denying that a company like GOG wants to make money. I am not claiming that there is anything wrong with wanting to make money either. I AM however denying that GOG is omniscient about which business decisions would lead to the most profit.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by Kristian
GameRager: 1. If they added linux support/versions to GOG games after steam did then i'm guessing they did it for the same reasons they made/update galaxy.....i.e. to be like steam and draw some of it's userbase.

2. Not to sound rude but....proof of this claim(it has me intrigued a bit)?

3. Thanks for the info/replies and keeping it civil...it is refreshing compared to some of the more emotional/childish repliers that I deal with here.
1) This is rather unlikely as they have been already... upfront through their news of galaxy 2.0 (I mean, cmon, replying tho linux users that they are sorry for them since they hoped to have news linux side...);

2) This is both speculation and reasoning, I've also talked with some linux users and they share their discontent toward GOG (and you can't blame them, I mean, even if they want to support GOG, they can't find the linux version here, despite there is one on steam).

If you are interested, there is where it all started GOG wise: https://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_now_supports_linux.

I could understand if GOG started to support linux a year or so ago, but everything kinda went downhil from there...

3) Np. I kind of understand them though: this is getting tiresome, and they are forced to use another platform despite the games they want are here, but limited to windows.
synfresh: I'm not familiar with itch nor gamjolt clients but are either of them have the many features of Galaxy. This is not even talking about version 2.0 which IMO is very ambitious (almost too much).
Honestly, they probably don't, though I am not familiar with them, either. But that's actually precisely the point. They've decided to go for these features instead of gradually building the client up like shmerl suggests.

See, the thing about that is, GOG's taking a cut from all sales and last I checked I pay the same price for a game as a Windows user would, yet do not receive the same service. I don't want to go as far as to say I outright don't care whether the market segment is profitable for GOG, but at some point I have to ask why I pay the same for less. Maybe there's a good reason, but "it's not profitable" ain't it.
Kristian: Only by irrational decision after irrational decision after irrational decision can DirectX dominate instead of having its rightful market share of 0%.

===========================

Edit:

I am not denying that a company like GOG wants to make money. I am not claiming that there is anything wrong with wanting to make money either. I AM however denying that GOG is omniscient about which business decisions would lead to the most profit.
Question: Why do you dislike DirectX so much(besides it being proprietary code/MS/etc)?

=======================

Agreed...they have made some poor choices lately. Their one to add SOME linux support is still a valid one, though(imo).....is has brought some linux users/sales, after all.
Kristian: Only by irrational decision after irrational decision after irrational decision can DirectX dominate instead of having its rightful market share of 0%.

===========================

Edit:

GameRager: Question: Why do you dislike DirectX so much(besides it being proprietary code/MS/etc)?

=======================

Agreed...they have made some poor choices lately. Their one to add SOME linux support is still a valid one, though(imo).....is has brought some linux users/sales, after all.
"Question: Why do you dislike DirectX so much(besides it being proprietary code/MS/etc)? "

There is no aside here. DirectX being a propietary API that only supports Windows keeps developers locked in to Windows.

"
Agreed...they have made some poor choices lately. Their one to add SOME linux support is still a valid one, though(imo).....is has brought some linux users/sales, after all."

So would porting Galaxy to Linux or making others efforts to improve Linux support.