It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
MIK0: I disagree. Lack of a drm-free version is always a concern on kickstarter.
Vainamoinen: It thankfully is, mostly, but unfortunately this concern can easily be ignored. To me it feels like no one should ever back a game project that doesn't provide DRM free installers both to their backers and regular customers, but my feelings are pretty damn irrelevant.
I agree unfortunately.

Vainamoinen: Developers and publishers try to weasel out of the promise all of the time. Backers reliably raise the question in the comments, yes, but they are often ignored. And when they're ignored, it's not as if those backers leap off the project.
True, most still want to see the project to be released.

Vainamoinen: Then there's the question of defining DRM, with developers releasing a Steam exclusive "DRM free" version, or – like Application Systems has recently done with Nelly Cootalot 2 – redefining clear cut wikipedia approved cases of DRM as "we don't think it's DRM".
This is an issue as some author believe they can have personal belief about a clear definition and bend it to their will. Also proving that they ignore what backers think. It's without a doubt that Steam is drm regardless the way it is implemented. It control your access to the product and have limitation that doesn't allow you to be sure to be Always able to access you product.
I had a similar experience with Pier Solar. They promised a drm-free version but when they released the game they did only on steam. When confronted they asserted that Steam is not drm and then later rephrased it saying that they have to protect their game on release and later release the drm-free version. Completly missing the point of why people asked of the drm-free version and enforcing the wrong belief that drm equals more sales.
This to me would be enough to ask refund and fine the developers with a 6 month sospension from working in that market, but unfortunately I'm not the one to make the rules.
If you get money on a promise, you have to stay truth to that otherwise that money shouldn't be in your possess.

Vainamoinen: As much as it hurts me to say, Armello isn't a particularly special case. Armello has been available for quite some time, keeping the DRM free promise in principle. But where was the outrage when e.g. Koch Media pressed Steam on the backer and consumer versions of Broken Sword 5? Well, there was enough to make Cecil hand out alternative discs, to those who explicitly asked of course.
I know, backed BS5 myself. Their issue is that they let the distributor decide over their backers, the ones that allowd them to make the game in the first place. That should never happens. And they paid the costs.

Vainamoinen: Kickstarter and generally crowd funding still is, in my opinion, a great venue to ensure that games come out DRM free. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
I agree. Everytime you have to check if they have done something behind you back, change their mind and not delivering what they promised.
MIK0: This is an issue as some author believe they can have personal belief about a clear definition and bend it to their will. Also proving that they ignore what backers think. It's without a doubt that Steam is drm regardless the way it is implemented. It control your access to the product and have limitation that doesn't allow you to be sure to be Always able to access you product.
This is no less a personal perception as using Steam as DRM is by no means required for devs which is why Witcher 3 and others are DRM-Free on Steam as well. Can it be used for that? Absolutely. But so can Galaxy. Both do it, though the latter only does it for multiplayer.
high rated
@GOG

Better put your foot down and get rid of this mess the world is watching what you do, if you allow such sub treatment of the drm free versions more games will follow the same route its time to take a moral stand on such stuff rather than money one.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-developers-of-armello-are-facing-a-bit-of-a-backlash-over-the-dlc-not-coming-to-gog.7989

http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-is-offering-refunds-on-the-drm-free-edition-of-armello/

http://kotaku.com/the-drm-free-version-of-armello-wont-be-getting-dlc-aft-1786076835
high rated
liquidsnakehpks: @GOG

Better put your foot down and get rid of this mess the world is watching what you do, if you allow such sub treatment of the drm free versions more games will follow the same route its time to take a moral stand on such stuff rather than money one.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-developers-of-armello-are-facing-a-bit-of-a-backlash-over-the-dlc-not-coming-to-gog.7989

http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-is-offering-refunds-on-the-drm-free-edition-of-armello/

http://kotaku.com/the-drm-free-version-of-armello-wont-be-getting-dlc-aft-1786076835
You forgot https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/01/armello-no-dlc-on-gog/
and the first to report the news http://techraptor.net/content/armello-developer-wont-support-dlc-on-gog-because-of-their-drm-free-policy with the followup http://techraptor.net/content/gog-is-now-offering-refunds-for-armello

I want to point out that without folloup like this GOG users wouldn't even know that they could ask a refund for Armello, as GOG never post the official statement in the news.
high rated
MIK0: I want to point out that without folloup like this GOG users wouldn't even know that they could ask a refund for Armello, as GOG never post the official statement in the news.
Such things are relegated to back-channel posts that quickly disappear in the chatter. The bullhorn is the sole properly of the GOG Marketing Division.
high rated
rtcvb32: Not the Armello - F U Edition ?
Nope, that one lacks the Good news™ positive spin.
Post edited September 10, 2016 by Lemon_Curry
high rated
rtcvb32: Not the Armello - F U Edition ?
Lemon_Curry: Nope, that one lacks the Good news™ positive spin.
What about Armello "F U, Kindly" Edition, then? :P
Tyrrhia: What about Armello "F U, Kindly" Edition, then? :P
It gets the stamp of approval! :D
high rated
Lemon_Curry: Nope, that one lacks the Good news™ positive spin.
Tyrrhia: What about Armello "F U, Kindly" Edition, then? :P
Would you kindly go and buy our F U edition? (Bioshock reference)
high rated
The developers ought to seriously reconsider their choice of company name (either that or take a selfie on Mars and let Curiosity the rover do the programming... and the PR.).
First time I've seen this happen. :P
high rated
MIK0: I disagree. Lack of a drm-free version is always a concern on kickstarter.
Vainamoinen: It thankfully is, mostly, but unfortunately this concern can easily be ignored. To me it feels like no one should ever back a game project that doesn't provide DRM free installers both to their backers and regular customers, but my feelings are pretty damn irrelevant.

Developers and publishers try to weasel out of the promise all of the time. Backers reliably raise the question in the comments, yes, but they are often ignored. And when they're ignored, it's not as if those backers leap off the project.

Then there's the question of defining DRM, with developers releasing a Steam exclusive "DRM free" version, or – like Application Systems has recently done with Nelly Cootalot 2 – redefining clear cut wikipedia approved cases of DRM as "we don't think it's DRM".

As much as it hurts me to say, Armello isn't a particularly special case. Armello has been available for quite some time, keeping the DRM free promise in principle. But where was the outrage when e.g. Koch Media pressed Steam on the backer and consumer versions of Broken Sword 5? Well, there was enough to make Cecil hand out alternative discs, to those who explicitly asked of course.

Kickstarter and generally crowd funding still is, in my opinion, a great venue to ensure that games come out DRM free. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Oh yeah, oh yeah. Remember BannerSaga II as well. (there were folks that pledged for the trilogy and would have only recieved Part I DRMfree...)
I hope the problem here dissolves as fast as that one did---about a week later the outcry was strong enough to move them to release it DRM-free on here, although their previous quotes sounded like they´d never do this.

Developers and publishers try to weasel out of the promise all of the time. Backers reliably raise the question in the comments, yes, but they are often ignored. And when they're ignored, it's not as if those backers leap off the project.

Then there's the question of defining DRM, with developers releasing a Steam exclusive "DRM free" version, or – like Application Systems has recently done with Nelly Cootalot 2 – redefining clear cut wikipedia approved cases of DRM as "we don't think it's DRM".

As much as it hurts me to say, Armello isn't a particularly special case. Armello has been available for quite some time, keeping the DRM free promise in principle. But where was the outrage when e.g. Koch Media pressed Steam on the backer and consumer versions of Broken Sword 5? Well, there was enough to make Cecil hand out alternative discs, to those who explicitly asked of course.

Kickstarter and generally crowd funding still is, in my opinion, a great venue to ensure that games come out DRM free. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
RadonGOG: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Remember BannerSaga II as well. (there were folks that pledged for the trilogy and would have only recieved Part I DRMfree...)
I hope the problem here dissolves as fast as that one did---about a week later the outcry was strong enough to move them to release it DRM-free on here, although their previous quotes sounded like they´d never do this.
The only hope is to make it reach the news everytime something similar happens. Unfortunately something like this doesn't even reach the front page of GOG and when it does is worded in misleading ways.
MIK0: The only hope is to make it reach the news everytime something similar happens. Unfortunately something like this doesn't even reach the front page of GOG and when it does is worded in misleading ways.
Sure, developers are moved by outrage, but it really doesn't seem the fair way to me. Particularly not for indie developers (a good anti-Valve or anti-Apple outrage I'll take most days :p ).

And the wishlist entry, well, it seems like a good bit of an overreaction to me. There have been more blatant examples of DRM free neglect from much more popular developers before (as Radon has shown), but as Catnip stated, none of them generated this kind of reaction. And I do wish all that could be toned down. The developer HAS received the message without doubt (though it's hardly a coherent one).

I admit though, the "selfies on mars" / "infinite resources" crap really took the cake with a vengeance. Not even Electronic Arts would have risked that. :)
Post edited September 11, 2016 by Vainamoinen
deleted