It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
deleted
high rated

As the Usurpers Hero Pack DLC grants access to new heroes, players accounts are verified to confirm they have purchased the content. This is explicitly and specifically a DRM service, so is incompatible with our DRM-free build available through GOG. To be perfectly clear, we are still updating The DRM free edition of Armello and will continue to do so up until mid way next year BUT we can and will only implement features that are DRM-free compatible.

I hope this makes sense. It's not that we don't want to, it's that we can't.
Vainamoinen: I don't want to fire up the outrage machinery too much here, but this means "GOG doesn't have Steamworks integration so we can't sell DLC there", no more no less. This means Our DRM free build was never meant to support DLC, hence "Our present build was never meant to be DRM free".

And the developers should hand back those 300,000 Australian dollars back to their backers immediately.
in fact, what they are saying is very hyppocrit anyway... Yes, sure, THEIR dlc need verification ? and that's not compatible with DRM free ? Ok, fine...
Now tell me what's about all the devs/publishers who have games here whith available DLC to purchase ? how did they manage such sorcery ?

As you said, it's clearly admitting "we are lazy, we relied heavily upon steamworks from the very start, and are clueless and not skilled enough to tailor our game in a way that allow DLC implementation despite the platform"
That's said, other developpers DO manage to make DLCs that work perfectly fine in DRM-Free environment.

So basically they are saying customers "screw you, we don't care, we don't bother", to the KS backers "ok, we got the money now so we dont care about our false claims of the campaign" and also "we are lazy unskilled devs"... quite a good combo in a few lines
GOG.com: Becoming a slightly inferior kitty.
Faenrir: I don't get it. Why would they want to do this ? How could they not make their DLC work with gog ?
And also, why would you allow them to make gog seem inferior to steam ?
they don't manage to make gog looking inferior to steam... only to let them appear for what they are: liars, frauds and lazy unskilled as well...

Other devs do manage to make games with DLC that works even on GOG. Maybe they could ask CD Projekt Red to teach them some basics anyway ? :)
Post edited September 03, 2016 by Djaron
high rated
This needs to go into books as example of really bad PR.

I usually buy old games here on gog, and new modern games on steam.
LOG business decision just left bad taste in my mouth. I had plans to buy Armello on steam because it looked like well thought and made game, but after reading this announcement I will probably just buy some other game here or on steam.

Vote with money people, and support developers that care.
Just my 2 cents, cheers.
what kills me - game has majority positive steam reviews - despite it being a chest/key shop and breaking kickstarter promises. Well, different audiences I suppose
The irony in all this is that I already was debating whether to buy Shadow Warrior 2 or Original Sin 2 on GoG or Steam since I felt that GoG release might not be as well supported as the Steam version (update frequency, DLC availability, etc.). Of course the games are cheaper on GoG, but I'd much rather have a 'complete' experience and pay a bit more than save a couple dollars and get shafted later.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by orbitallogic
orbitallogic: The irony in all this is that I already was debating whether to buy Shadow Warrior 2 or Original Sin 2 on GoG or Steam since I felt that GoG release might not be as well supported as the Steam version (update frequency, DLC availability, etc.). Of course the games are cheaper on GoG, but I'd much rather have a 'complete' experience and pay a bit more than save a couple dollars and get shafted later.
thats the price of being free from drms, and I 'm ready to pay it
I am all for DRM-Free, though for me it is not a priority. I began using GoG services due to the fact that they are owned by CD Projekt of Witcher fame, and I enjoyed CD Projekts quality and honesty, so I wanted to support their other ventures as well. And while I will continue purchasing games on GoG, it appears that I will have to err on the side of caution for newer releases and pre-purchases by acquiring them on the Steam platform, at least if GoG cannot guarantee that these sort of tactics will either prohibited, or that any 'missing' features/release differences will be clearly marked. Honestly, I am amazed that have not done so already.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by orbitallogic
high rated
Sthef: This needs to go into books as example of really bad PR.
How about trying to sell an expansion to a game that's still in early access and behind schedule?

Or selling a $60 demo...

Or perhaps converting all your games/assets to pachinko machines?

Or releasing a game in a highly downgraded or perhaps obviously different state than the promised trailers?
vemin: what kills me - game has majority positive steam reviews - despite it being a chest/key shop and breaking kickstarter promises. Well, different audiences I suppose
The base game itself (the one we have on GOG) is quite good and fun. The reviews may simply be based on this, and not on the microtransaction shenigans.
There is Galaxy here. Why can't the developers create a version that will work with Galaxy? Maybe GOG and the developers could offer a deal to get the complete version if you install Galaxy. I don't use Galaxy, but make me an offer that will get me to try it. Can't anyone think well???
Sthef: This needs to go into books as example of really bad PR.
rtcvb32: How about trying to sell an expansion to a game that's still in early access and behind schedule?

Or selling a $60 demo...

Or perhaps converting all your games/assets to pachinko machines?

Or releasing a game in a highly downgraded or perhaps obviously different state than the promised trailers?
i saw what you did there :)

also, marketing with phrases like "Erotic Violence" ? (warning, explicit but desserved lyrics)
Djaron: by the way, Armello is also available on Humble Store both as Steam and DRM Free (or that's what the icons are suggesting)

In the past, i already got DRM-Free versions of games on HB/HS that i already had on GOG or that i bought again later when finally released on GOG and there were sometimes little differences.

One difference was the update rate.. I often had the case when I would et an update on Humble before GOG got same patch.

I'm curious about the Humble "DRM-Free" version of Armello, but right now, there is no way in any circumstances on this time and place of existence that I would GIVE 14 more bucks to LoG. Also, sale/tech support from Humble is beyond awfully crap !

But if someone around here happens to have their vetsion, i'll be very curious to have this person to keep us informed of how it works and whenever updates are released.

Also, "at least for same price you get two versions at once, a steam key and a supposedly drm-free autonomous version, for your personnal use"... so... in a way, people purchasing Armello on humble are way less ripped off than us on GOG: even if their DRM-free version get discontinued/dropped they still have the game in the other platform (not that i would care about the steam key, afaic, but...)
OMG, I hate Humble Store's customer service, too; horrible. I do agree the smartest thing to do is to buy the Humble Store version with both DRM and DRM-Free versions. At this point it may be the best thing to do, but I still think they can offer the full version on GOG by using Galaxy's Cross-Play. It makes no sense to me and I think the developers are just locked into an agreement with Steam which is usually the case.
Post edited September 04, 2016 by BrokenBull
high rated
BrokenBull: There is Galaxy here. Why can't the developers create a version that will work with Galaxy? Maybe GOG and the developers could offer a deal to get the complete version if you install Galaxy. I don't use Galaxy, but make me an offer that will get me to try it. Can't anyone think well???
Even if they make it work using Galaxy and make it a requirment, it would be drm. I would like to avoid that.
Also Galaxy is an awful software an barely useful.
BrokenBull: There is Galaxy here. Why can't the developers create a version that will work with Galaxy? Maybe GOG and the developers could offer a deal to get the complete version if you install Galaxy. I don't use Galaxy, but make me an offer that will get me to try it. Can't anyone think well???
MIK0: Even if they make it work using Galaxy and make it a requirment, it would be drm. I would like to avoid that.
Well I don't necessarily mean that it would be a requirement to use Galaxy to play the game as if it is DRM, but make an offer for users to try it with Galaxy and still have the option to play it DRM-Free. At least have the extra features because they have Cross-Play. If Galaxy is not as good as you think then maybe that is the main problem.
high rated
MIK0: Even if they make it work using Galaxy and make it a requirment, it would be drm. I would like to avoid that.
BrokenBull: Well I don't necessarily mean that it would be a requirement to use Galaxy to play the game as if it is DRM, but make an offer for users to try it with Galaxy and still have the option to play it DRM-Free. At least have the extra features because they have Cross-Play. If Galaxy is not as good as you think then maybe that is the main problem.
If the issue is that they won't allow DLC they can't check online (so DRM) then even with Galaxy they won't accomplish anything as it must stay DRM free.
Galaxy is renown for not being a good software. Also it is already required to use some feature that could be implemented without it. For instance the multiplayer component could be a separate module that can be used by the game without the need of the Galaxy Client. It could also be made available to third party so that developer develop with it making multiplayer something that could be sharable on most service. But they preferred to force it in the Galaxy Client, a software that doesn't even allow you to filter games properly.