It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
The community wishlist entry is approaching 100 votes: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_armello_drm_free_edition_from_the_catalog_please
high rated
BKGaming: Seriously this shit is number 22 on the popular list?
There are probably a lot of people just visiting the game's store page directly and are skipping the forum, so they have no idea. The top reviews that are marked as most useful were written before this whole announcement of the "DRM-Free Edition", so there are probably people who see the sale, maybe read a review or two, and they just don't know what this version truly is.

There's not much that can be done to reach those people who don't even read the reviews, let-alone the forums, but we can certainly get the information more visible on the store page for the game by voting up any good reviews that you see which do mention that you shouldn't buy the game on GoG.

Another thing to consider is that the current star rating is 3/5 on the Armello store page here on GoG. We all know there are people who only look at the end score of a review, and don't want to read anything. So, if you happen to already own the game, and you're one of the people that were unhappy about this, then nudge that star rating down a bit so that maybe someone will see it, and head down to the review section to find out why, instead of just clicking "add to cart" without realizing. The star rating is right underneath the name on the store page, and it requires no scrolling down to see, so there's a much better chance of making someone weary before completing their purchase, even if they're not as information-driven as the rest of us.

If LoG doesn't care about the bad press, and nothing that we say will reach them, then it's our fellow community members that we need to make sure we're looking out for. Whether Armello continues to exist on the storefront or not, we can still make a difference by making sure that the information that LoG didn't put on Armello's store page about this version is still available on its store page anyway, and the more visible we make it through the star rating and reviews, the better.
Post edited September 02, 2016 by Irenicus73
Good idea the matter of reviews, Irenicus73 :)

Bye!
high rated
I think the most idiotic thing to happen here is calling the game "DRM-free Edition". Just read it a few times and look at the website you are browsing right now. The game title gets dumber every time you read it. :D
Kristian: The community wishlist entry is approaching 100 votes: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/remove_armello_drm_free_edition_from_the_catalog_please
97 votes now :D
high rated
This case make it clear that is even less safe to purchase new games on GOG. We cannot be sure a game will be supported in the future and we cannot trust GOG in guarantee it. They'll mostly sell us another good news.
Better focusing only on old games at this point.
MIK0: Better focusing only on old games at this point.
Like Postal 1 and Postal 2? Or maybe like Knights of the Old Republic 2?

Not even old games are safe anymore.
high rated
The news has spread to Gaming On Linux: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-developers-of-armello-are-facing-a-bit-of-a-backlash-over-the-dlc-not-coming-to-gog.7989
Post edited September 02, 2016 by Kristian
MIK0: Better focusing only on old games at this point.
Grargar: Like Postal 1 and Postal 2? Or maybe like Knights of the Old Republic 2?

Not even old games are safe anymore.
Ok, I anticipated that but I wanted to sound optimistic. We are ALMOST safe with old games. At least the one that doesn't need support anymore. For those we only require that GOG bring the best possibile version and make it work on modern system without cutting feature, compressing audio, ect.

Ok, we are not that safe, I agree.
by the way, Armello is also available on Humble Store both as Steam and DRM Free (or that's what the icons are suggesting)

In the past, i already got DRM-Free versions of games on HB/HS that i already had on GOG or that i bought again later when finally released on GOG and there were sometimes little differences.

One difference was the update rate.. I often had the case when I would et an update on Humble before GOG got same patch.

I'm curious about the Humble "DRM-Free" version of Armello, but right now, there is no way in any circumstances on this time and place of existence that I would GIVE 14 more bucks to LoG. Also, sale/tech support from Humble is beyond awfully crap !

But if someone around here happens to have their vetsion, i'll be very curious to have this person to keep us informed of how it works and whenever updates are released.

Also, "at least for same price you get two versions at once, a steam key and a supposedly drm-free autonomous version, for your personnal use"... so... in a way, people purchasing Armello on humble are way less ripped off than us on GOG: even if their DRM-free version get discontinued/dropped they still have the game in the other platform (not that i would care about the steam key, afaic, but...)
Djaron: by the way, Armello is also available on Humble Store both as Steam and DRM Free (or that's what the icons are suggesting)

In the past, i already got DRM-Free versions of games on HB/HS that i already had on GOG or that i bought again later when finally released on GOG and there were sometimes little differences.

One difference was the update rate.. I often had the case when I would et an update on Humble before GOG got same patch.

I'm curious about the Humble "DRM-Free" version of Armello, but right now, there is no way in any circumstances on this time and place of existence that I would GIVE 14 more bucks to LoG. Also, sale/tech support from Humble is beyond awfully crap !

But if someone around here happens to have their vetsion, i'll be very curious to have this person to keep us informed of how it works and whenever updates are released.

Also, "at least for same price you get two versions at once, a steam key and a supposedly drm-free autonomous version, for your personnal use"... so... in a way, people purchasing Armello on humble are way less ripped off than us on GOG: even if their DRM-free version get discontinued/dropped they still have the game in the other platform (not that i would care about the steam key, afaic, but...)
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/search/armello

No DLC sale on there too . So it's same with GOG except Steam key .
high rated
Glad I read the comments. I'm skipping this title. If the devs want to treat us like crap, they don't deserve my money.
GOG.com: Becoming a slightly inferior kitty.
I don't get it. Why would they want to do this ? How could they not make their DLC work with gog ?
And also, why would you allow them to make gog seem inferior to steam ?
high rated
Djaron: by the way, Armello is also available on Humble Store both as Steam and DRM Free (or that's what the icons are suggesting)
When Humble says they're selling a DRM free version, then it is that but just that. I doubt they'll ever sell Armello DLC. It would be infinitely odd if they did that over there and not here.

Humble has always been slow to update, even with free content. To my knowledge, they e.g. never updated "Dex" with its Enhanced Edition (at the very least, they hadn't six months after the free update arrived on Steam).

The Armello developers are indeed backtracking on their clear cut Kickstarter promises here. And they've factually admitted that in the Kickstarter comments:

As the Usurpers Hero Pack DLC grants access to new heroes, players accounts are verified to confirm they have purchased the content. This is explicitly and specifically a DRM service, so is incompatible with our DRM-free build available through GOG. To be perfectly clear, we are still updating The DRM free edition of Armello and will continue to do so up until mid way next year BUT we can and will only implement features that are DRM-free compatible.

I hope this makes sense. It's not that we don't want to, it's that we can't.
I don't want to fire up the outrage machinery too much here, but this means "GOG doesn't have Steamworks integration so we can't sell DLC there", no more no less. This means Our DRM free build was never meant to support DLC, hence "Our present build was never meant to be DRM free".

And the developers should hand back those 300,000 Australian dollars back to their backers immediately.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by Vainamoinen
high rated
Tyrrhia: Umm . . . isn't that normal for a game sold on GOG, to be DRM-free? Why put that in the title, then?
It's been missing patches for a while now so this rebranding is actually pretty significant. This is not the same version of Armello sold elsewhere and it never will be.

Good thing I waited, I'd have been ringing my bank to get a chargeback if I'd been screwed like this. Consumer law in a lot of countries allows users refunds for products that don't do what they're advertised to do, and simply renaming the product doesn't change that people bought what is now a functionally impaired game. Should be refunds for everyone