It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
A lot of creativity went into this. Thanks.
200 pages, 4000 posts
viral
I wonder how many people have actually argued against Regional Pricing already?

After all, it only takes 1,500 signatures on a petition to get something the public wants on the agenda.

How many do we need to get to convince GOG.com to at least do a survey on Regional Pricing first?

(PS. 4,000th post! Wicked!)
Davane: I wonder how many people have actually argued against Regional Pricing already?

After all, it only takes 1,500 signatures on a petition to get something the public wants on the agenda.

How many do we need to get to convince GOG.com to at least do a survey on Regional Pricing first?

(PS. 4,000th post! Wicked!)
Well, we're at 1275 at the moment (http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/ban_all_regional_pricing_from_gog_stick_with_your_principles), not that I think it'll matter one way or the other. GOG are probably too busy implementing region locking to bother with petitions.
Post edited February 27, 2014 by mrkgnao
Fabulous. I laughed my ass off. Thanks. I even stole it off You Tube. I hope you don't mind. I couldn't help myself.
This is so well executed, thanks!
dirtyharry50: Fabulous. I laughed my ass off. Thanks. I even stole it off You Tube. I hope you don't mind. I couldn't help myself.
Yeah I grabbed it too.
dirtyharry50: I laughed my ass off.
jfanno: Yeah I grabbed it too.
What !!!?
I grabbed the video off youtube silly :-)
jfanno: Yeah I grabbed it too.
Potzato: What !!!?
Priceless xD
Novotnus: I can't be bribed with shiny things!
but you know what I like, right?
point and click and horror, combined if possible
never hurts to make an offer, hm?
:)
JudasIscariot: You know... I was going to make a quip here as I usually do when talking to some of the veteran members here but I am afraid my words will be used against me soooo <insert quip here> I guess :/
You knew about it!
sidenote: OK, I'm bribed :)
JudasIscariot: You know... I was going to make a quip here as I usually do when talking to some of the veteran members here but I am afraid my words will be used against me soooo <insert quip here> I guess :/
Novotnus: You knew about it!
Hue hue hue :P
Novotnus: You knew about it!
JudasIscariot: Hue hue hue :P
Yeah, yeah, joke's on me...
Now go play some Deadly Premonition :)
Davane: I think that you will find that it is naive to think that GOG won't put DRM in their games. Few people thought that GOG would change their Worldwide Prices policy, but here we are now.

If GOG can't be trusted to stick to their principles over Worldwide Prices, why should people expect them to stick to their DRM-Free policy either?
Gandos: Because DRM-free isn't just a matter of principles; there are business reasons why GOG can't afford to drop DRM-free The fact of the matter is that DRM-free is the one thing that differentiates GOG from competing DD services. If they dropped that, they would have practically nothing going for them. As a result, users would have no reason to use GOG over the competition, especially since that competition does games with DRM better.
I completely agree that GOG has in recent years fashioned themselves around being DRM-free. However, realize that a good portion of the gamers that learned about GOG pre-2012 still views them as a site to get classic games that run on modern machines, so even if GOG isn't "Good Old Games" anymore they'd be stupid to try to sweep that branding under the rug in favor of only being known for their DRM-free stance.

I could be wrong but I suspect GOG has been very successful by bringing back popular games not available anywhere else. Obviously one can't expect this to continue, but it's worth considering as a point of success I think. (I mean, look at the catalog - the majority of the bestselling titles either aren't available on Steam or were on GOG before they appeared on Steam, such as virtually all the EA titles.)

Also remember that various other distributors have DRM-free games - Humble Bundle, GamersGate, etc. - but besides DotEmu I imagine GOG is the only one where ALL the games are DRM-free.
I won't buy any games from you if you cheat European customers with more expensive Euro prices.

So long ...