It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
hedwards: It's not an either or situation. We had DRM free and region-free pricing here until GOG decided to sell us out and change that to get games that quite honestly were already coming here.
Sure, with older games and self-published indie releases that have no (or limited) physical retail releases. Such games also have worldwide pricing and are usually also available DRM-free elsewhere (e.g. Humble Widgets/Store, Desura, IndieGameStand).

But with bigger, major titles, it is at present (and will be for the forseeable future) impossible to get the publishers to drop regional pricing. Not until retail is sufficiently dead to have basically no influence.

vampiro13: Well, GOG argues that they can only bring these titles on board because of contracts with retailers. I don't necessarily see why publishers would agree to publish on GOG because they can now have regional pricing. Why would they give up on DRM?
GOG has said basically what I've been saying - that they can only bring them here because of accepting regional pricing, due to arrangements developers have with publishers and that publishers in turn have with local distributors/retailers in various regions of the world. They can't undercut the local prices agreed with retailers around the world as otherwise those retailers will cry foul. The alternative I guess is giving everyone the most expensive price anywhere in the world (which would then lead to cries of "WTF GOG? Why charge so much more than Steam? / I can get this so much cheaper at retail!", very poor sales and possibly also a lot of "rage piracy").

DRM is almost totally a choice on the publisher's part, they aren't forced to use it by distributors/retailers. It's used partly due to fears over piracy, partly as a means to retain control post-sale. GOG needs to convince them that going DRM-free won't increase piracy and will in fact make result in more sales - and in turn more revenue.

Also, the titles are not a huge argument (as it might have seemed when reading the announcement). Two titles were known to go on GOG already, at least AOW3 was financed on Kickstarter, Witcher is from the sister company, none of the 3 games comes from a big publisher and, to be honest, only The Witcher is AAA.
I completely agree here - the revealed titles are a massive disappointment. The way they were talking about them in the original announcement, with all the secrecy and hype, as if they were some huge breakthrough, set expectations that they just could not meet. I don't consider them worth dropping the worldwide pricing policy, but what's done is done... I just hope that GOG is right about being able to use them to help bring bigger titles here as a result.

I don't quite get what external arrangement you are referring to. It is usually the publishers who a) decide on DRM and b) make the contracts with the retailers, that is part of their job. I am not convinced that if a publisher refused to go the path of regional prices, that a retailer would not put the game on their shelves - as long as they can still make a profit, of course.
Look at it from a retailer's point of view. The publisher offers you a game with a retail price of €39.99 (€33.33 pre-tax, sold to you at a rate of €23.33 per copy allowing you up to €10 profit if you sell at the full price. Accounting for VAT, the minimum you can sell at in order to break even is €28). You buy in a load of stock, it occupies warehouse and shelf space, and then the publisher goes ahead and offers it with a regular price of €29.99 online through digital distributors. Would you be happy with that? Would you want to deal with that publisher again?

I am not convinced that dropping regional pricing would significantly hurt retail sales, some shops would still offer the product. In addition, lots of the retail customers would then go for the digital version (if no physical copy was available in their country) - and there is a much greater profit margin for the publisher. Hence, even if retail sales dropped completely from 40% to 0, the increased profit from online sales would surely make up for it.
It would hurt retail sales because the retailers would refuse to stock the publisher's products knowing that they'll be undercut online, or that the profit they'll make will barely cover the costs of running their business.

Don't underestimate physical retailers- a lot of countries have poor communications infrastructure making retail copies far more attactive. Then there's the lazy way regional pricing is often implemented online, leaving some regions with insanely high digital prices compared to retail. And then there are the people who just like to have something physical, even if it's little more than a cheap box+disc. Or people that buy the physical release & use a cracked/pirate copy, with the physical copy acting as a "proof of purchase" that can't just be taken away like on Steam etc.

I disagree, I think sticking to core principles is more important than a vague hope of a step forward in the DRM-war, which I honestly do not see with the announced games (neither with the games themselves nor the games being major door openers, such as a major title from EA or Ubisoft might have been).
Again, I agree that the announced games aren't worth it and I'm also struggling to see how they could be used to convince the major publishers (except TW3 of course)... but if GOG doesn't compromise, then in my view it's very unlikely that any further progress will be made with either the DRM or regional pricing issues for a long time.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by adamhm
high rated
So I guess it is time to throw my 5 cents into room of textual representations of so many thoughts, emotions and opinions.

1. I always wonder that discussions here at GoG compared to other forums even on emotional loaded topics stay constructive, that says a lot about the customer base GoG has. And that GoG can be proud to have such a customer base.

2. Saying in a competitive market that it would not be fair to sell games without regional pricing because competitors do sounds quite odd and a lot like a constructed argument. GoG has found it's own niche I am not sure that stepping into competition on AAA titles with the "big" players is a smart move, you will lose a lot of loyal customers - me included.

3. I bought not only games because I "wanted" them, I also bought games to support the idea of GoG - DRM free, one price.
vampiro13: Exactly :)

Well, about retail. I actually think publishers, in the long run, want to get rid of retail. The big publishers will want to publish on their own online plattform (Origin, Battlenet, Ubishitplay) in order to increase their profit.

As for the costs to do retail, we can't really sell. After all the 3 companies are based in Europe, so u'd actually expect them to be cheaper in Europe (less transportation costs, no toll). Yet, that is not the case. Do they all come from China? But then again, why is it cheaper in Norway than in Bulgaria?
I wonder if console retail factors into it too, since these publishers publish to all platforms. Just a thought.

I don't know. According to that list in that other thread, Norway and Switzerland have lower prices compared to the rest of Europe. Why? I have no idea. I would have thought that Australia and New Zealand would have got hammered by this, but they didn't. Their retail prices are through the roof.

I think we would need to research it a little to find some answers. There was another member posting in this thread that sounded like he knew the business and what he was talking about, but I can't remember who it was.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Okay guys, I think I have spent more than enough time in this and other related threads since Friday. If anyone replies to one of my posts I will probably not see it. I think my feelings about this development are clear and from now on it is time to vote with my wallet.
hedwards: *snip*
Wishbone: OT: I like your new avatar, hedwards ;-)
Somebody else posted a link in one of these threads for it. But, once I saw it, I thought it might be time for an avatar change as really people are going to see the avatars, even if they don't read every single post in the thread.
Alexrd: Really? How so? If GOG ever puts DRM in their games, it makes them no different than its competition, therefore making them obsolete and eventually "deceased".

Here we are now, with an higher chance to get those games (and newer ones) the community has been asking for, DRM-free. I'll take that.
Elmofongo: And not only that I remember DRM Free being the reason now, like everyone was complaining about DRM being a terrible thing happening to PC gaming (or gaming in general) and people raging against Diablo 3, Simcity 2013, and Ubisoft's Always Online, and EA with Spore. Not once I have heard from anyone saying the fair price was the absolute reason. So because of that GOG assumes that everyone wanted DRM free more than fair price.

I be surprised once a game like say Morrowind comes out people will forget this ordeal.
People didn't need to say it, because when you get something like this right, there's not really much to talk about. Mr. Gog himself has spent a lot of time raging against region pricing, switching now just feels a bit like being stabbed in the back.

Pricing policy is something that people were raging about when Mr. Gog started letting games in here that weren't either $5.99 or $9.99 though.
hedwards: It's not an either or situation. We had DRM free and region-free pricing here until GOG decided to sell us out and change that to get games that quite honestly were already coming here.
adamhm: Sure, with older games and self-published indie releases that have no (or limited) physical retail releases. Such games also have worldwide pricing and are usually also available DRM-free elsewhere (e.g. Humble Widgets/Store, Desura, IndieGameStand).

But with bigger, major titles, it is at present (and will be for the forseeable future) impossible to get the publishers to drop regional pricing. Not until retail is sufficiently dead to have basically no influence.
I'd be fine waiting. One of my great disappointments with GOG is that they weren't content to release new games as they became old. In large part because most new games are shit in any era and you get a bit of perspective after a few years. What's more, by waiting a few years the cost of the computer necessary to run the game decreases substantially as well.

Not to mention that the patches that are going to be made are made, so patching is minimal.

It's not like the games they were releasing were massively old either. Some of them were from the '80s, but a lot of them were from this millenia as well.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by hedwards
Wishbone: OT: I like your new avatar, hedwards ;-)
hedwards: Somebody else posted a link in one of these threads for it. But, once I saw it, I thought it might be time for an avatar change as really people are going to see the avatars, even if they don't read every single post in the thread.
Elmofongo: And not only that I remember DRM Free being the reason now, like everyone was complaining about DRM being a terrible thing happening to PC gaming (or gaming in general) and people raging against Diablo 3, Simcity 2013, and Ubisoft's Always Online, and EA with Spore. Not once I have heard from anyone saying the fair price was the absolute reason. So because of that GOG assumes that everyone wanted DRM free more than fair price.

I be surprised once a game like say Morrowind comes out people will forget this ordeal.
hedwards: People didn't need to say it, because when you get something like this right, there's not really much to talk about. Mr. Gog himself has spent a lot of time raging against region pricing, switching now just feels a bit like being stabbed in the back.

Pricing policy is something that people were raging about when Mr. Gog started letting games in here that weren't either $5.99 or $9.99 though.
adamhm: Sure, with older games and self-published indie releases that have no (or limited) physical retail releases. Such games also have worldwide pricing and are usually also available DRM-free elsewhere (e.g. Humble Widgets/Store, Desura, IndieGameStand).

hedwards: I'd be fine waiting. One of my great disappointments with GOG is that they weren't content to release new games as they became old. In large part because most new games are shit in any era and you get a bit of perspective after a few years. What's more, by waiting a few years the cost of the computer necessary to run the game decreases substantially as well.

Not to mention that the patches that are going to be made are made, so patching is minimal.

It's not like the games they were releasing were massively old either. Some of them were from the '80s, but a lot of them were from this millenia as well.
Now I asked a question on the any new developments because I was not paying attention.

Is GOG going to change the prices of the old PC games here like Ultima? Is GOG still going to sell new Classic PC games yet to come (like Fallout) with a fair/ non region price?
Elmofongo: Now I asked a question on the any new developments because I was not paying attention.

Is GOG going to change the prices of the old PC games here like Ultima? Is GOG still going to sell new Classic PC games yet to come (like Fallout) with a fair/ non region price?
All the prices have been changed and from what I read in the post from the DM, they're a fixed rate that appears to have been rounded to something convenient for them. But, it's completely left open as to what the extent of it's going to be in the future as that's largely up to the publishers to decide.

It's not as bad as 1 dollar is 1 euro for the titles that are already here, but it is still region pricing that leaves the door open for more of it in the future. I think right now the difference is only like 23 cents.
hedwards: I'd be fine waiting. One of my great disappointments with GOG is that they weren't content to release new games as they became old. In large part because most new games are shit in any era and you get a bit of perspective after a few years. What's more, by waiting a few years the cost of the computer necessary to run the game decreases substantially as well.

Well, you'd be waiting a very long time. Asking publishers to drop DRM is simply asking them to drop one policy (and one that is ultimately of little consequence to their day to day business)... asking them to adopt worldwide pricing is asking them to change a big part of their business model and restructure their companies accordingly. They won't go along with that unless and until they are forced to do so.

Dropping worldwide pricing to bring newer games here now should help to weaken retail - on the odd occasion that I want to buy a new AAA game (of which I agree most are shit, which is partly why it's not something I do very often) I'll buy the retail version as it'll be a lot cheaper... and it'll still end up locked into Steam anyway, which greatly reduces the amount I'm willing to pay. It's very unlikely I'll be willing to pay the full price for such releases on Steam... although I'd much rather pay the full price to have a DRM-free copy here than the lower retail price for a DRM'ed copy. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Patching doesn't really bother me that much. I prefer manual patching anyway as it gives me more control and allows for rolling back to a prior version should a patch introduce any issues... I just don't like it when a large patch comes along and GOG decides to roll it into a new installer forcing a redownload instead of having a set of patches.

Elmofongo: Now I asked a question on the any new developments because I was not paying attention.

That's mentioned in GOG's letter:

So, what is going to happen with classic games then?

Classic content accounts for about 80% of our catalog, so yes, this is a super important topic. We've mentioned here above that we can’t control prices for new games, but we do have a lot of influence when it comes to classic games. GOG.com is the store that made this market visible and viable digitally, and we're the ones who established the prices we charge. We believe that we have a good record to argue for fair pricing with our partners.

So let's talk about the pricing for classics that we're shooting for. For $5.99 classics, we would like to make the games 3.49 GBP, 4.49 EUR, 199 RUB, and $6.49 AUD. For $9.99 classics, our targets are 5.99 GBP, 7.49 EUR, 349 RUB, and $10.99 AUD. This is what we’ve got in mind at the moment. We’ll do our best to make that happen, and we think it will. How? Well, we have made our partners quite happy with GOG.com's sales for years - thanks to you guys :). We have created a global, legal, successful digital distribution market of classics for them. This market didn't exist 5 years ago. By (re)making all those games compatible with modern operating systems for MAC and PC, we've made forgotten games profitable again. When it comes to classic games, we can tell them that we know more about this market than anyone. :) Being retrogaming freaks ourselves, we know that 5.99 EUR or GBP is crazy expensive for a classic game (compared to 5.99 USD). We have always argued that classic games only sell well if they have reasonable prices. Unfair regional pricing equals piracy and that’s the last thing anybody wants.
Davane: I think that you will find that it is naive to think that GOG won't put DRM in their games. Few people thought that GOG would change their Worldwide Prices policy, but here we are now.

If GOG can't be trusted to stick to their principles over Worldwide Prices, why should people expect them to stick to their DRM-Free policy either?
Because DRM-free isn't just a matter of principles; there are business reasons why GOG can't afford to drop DRM-free The fact of the matter is that DRM-free is the one thing that differentiates GOG from competing DD services. If they dropped that, they would have practically nothing going for them. As a result, users would have no reason to use GOG over the competition, especially since that competition does games with DRM better.

It's not like we haven't seen what has happened to DD services that tried to compete with Steam on its terms. Eventually, all of them either became Steam key resellers or remained restricted to the titles of the publisher who owned the service. Considering GOG has been doing well on account of being an alternative to Steam and since there is more money to be made that way, there is absolutely no logical reason for GOG to go down that route.

Granted, just because it would be dumb to do so doesn't mean that a company isn't going to do it; companies are run by people and people can make stupid decisions (and the decision to drop flat pricing may or may not turn out to be one of them). But as things currently stand, even from a pure self-interest standpoint, GOG has no reasons not to stick to their DRM-free policy; if anything, failure to stick to it would spell financial doom for them.

As disappointing and questionable their decision to drop flat pricing may be (and it is VERY disappointing and questionable), you can at least make a case as to why GOG might benefit from regional pricing, including games coming out on/near original release, making the service more attractive to large low-income markets like Russia and removing a stumbling block in their negotiations with publishers.

Oh and before someone decides to chime in with something along the lines of "allowing DRM would also remove a stumbling block in their negotiations with publishers", read again what I said above. That particular stumbling block is not one that they can get rid of.

adamhm: Well, you'd be waiting a very long time. Asking publishers to drop DRM is simply asking them to drop one policy (and one that is ultimately of little consequence to their day to day business)... asking them to adopt worldwide pricing is asking them to change a big part of their business model and restructure their companies accordingly. They won't go along with that unless and until they are forced to do so.

Dropping worldwide pricing to bring newer games here now should help to weaken retail - on the odd occasion that I want to buy a new AAA game (of which I agree most are shit, which is partly why it's not something I do very often) I'll buy the retail version as it'll be a lot cheaper... and it'll still end up locked into Steam anyway, greatly reduces the amount I'm willing to pay. It's very unlikely I'll be willing to pay the full price for such releases on Steam... although I'd much rather pay the full price to have a DRM-free copy here than the lower retail price for a DRM'ed copy. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Patching doesn't really bother me that much. I prefer manual patching anyway as it gives me more control and allows for rolling back to a prior version should a patch introduce any issues... I just don't like it when a large patch comes along and GOG decides to roll it into a new installer forcing a redownload instead of having a set of patches.
And how long do we wait if we just cave for such silliness? Physical retail is effectively on the way out already, allowing publishers to set such stupid pricing is just prolonging the inevitable.

I'm willing to accept new games being here, but not new games that have this region based pricing bullshit. All the shops that used to specialize in software went bust years ago around here. I think the local Office Depot has just about the best selection of computer games I've seen lately, and even that's pretty anemic.
Davane: I think that you will find that it is naive to think that GOG won't put DRM in their games. Few people thought that GOG would change their Worldwide Prices policy, but here we are now.

If GOG can't be trusted to stick to their principles over Worldwide Prices, why should people expect them to stick to their DRM-Free policy either?
Gandos: Because DRM-free isn't just a matter of principles; there are business reasons why GOG can't afford to drop DRM-free The fact of the matter is that DRM-free is the one thing that differentiates GOG from competing DD services. If they dropped that, they would have practically nothing going for them. As a result, users would have no reason to use GOG over the competition, especially since that competition does games with DRM better.

It's not like we haven't seen what has happened to DD services that tried to compete with Steam on its terms. Eventually, all of them either became Steam key resellers or remained restricted to the titles of the publisher who owned the service. Considering GOG has been doing well on account of being an alternative to Steam and since there is more money to be made that way, there is absolutely no logical reason for GOG to go down that route.

Granted, just because it would be dumb to do so doesn't mean that a company isn't going to do it; companies are run by people and people can make stupid decisions (and the decision to drop flat pricing may or may not turn out to be one of them). But as things currently stand, even from a pure self-interest standpoint, GOG has no reasons not to stick to their DRM-free policy; if anything, failure to stick to it would spell financial doom for them.

As disappointing and questionable their decision to drop flat pricing may be (and it is VERY disappointing and questionable), you can at least make a case as to why GOG might benefit from regional pricing, including games coming out on/near original release, making the service more attractive to large low-income markets like Russia and removing a stumbling block in their negotiations with publishers.

Oh and before someone decides to chime in with something along the lines of "allowing DRM would also remove a stumbling block in their negotiations with publishers", read again what I said above. That particular stumbling block is not one that they can get rid of.
DRM free was one of the things that differentiated GOG from other sites, but at this point it's the only thing that they haven't dropped in the pursuit of growth. Considering that the same logic they used to dump region free pricing applies to DRM as well, I'm not sure how much confidence I have in them to do the right thing.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by hedwards
hedwards: And how long do we wait if we just cave for such silliness? Physical retail is effectively on the way out already, allowing publishers to set such stupid pricing is just prolonging the inevitable.
A bit longer at least, depends how many would-be retail buyers can be brought over to here. Allowing regional pricing here at least opens an alternative for people that otherwise would buy retail (propping up retail stores and strengthening the influence of retailers on the regional pricing issue) or on Steam (where regional pricing is allowed anyway and which accounts for most digital sales). At the very least it will help kill off DRM and at the same time weaken physical retailers a bit.

When physical retail dies off publishers will have no excuse to gouge buyers with regional pricing, which will make it much easier for us to fight.

I'm willing to accept new games being here, but not new games that have this region based pricing bullshit. All the shops that used to specialize in software went bust years ago around here. I think the local Office Depot has just about the best selection of computer games I've seen lately, and even that's pretty anemic.
That's not true in all countries though, or even all regions of some countries.

Funny thing is. PC games are rarely sold in actual retail stores here (and where they are they have a poor selection, and they're even overpriced quite a lot of the time)... but it's *much* cheaper to order the retail copies online and have them delivered.
Davane: I think that you will find that it is naive to think that GOG won't put DRM in their games.
Alexrd: Really? How so? If GOG ever puts DRM in their games, it makes them no different than its competition, therefore making them obsolete and eventually "deceased".

Davane: Few people thought that GOG would change their Worldwide Prices policy, but here we are now.
Alexrd: Here we are now, with an higher chance to get those games (and newer ones) the community has been asking for, DRM-free. I'll take that.
It cannot be argued that we have a better chance to get new games by this change. So far, we have got the Witcher 3, Divinity 3: Original Sin, and Age of Wonders 3. At least two of these games would come to GOG.com anyway - and despite the notion of NDA's, these titles had already been revealed before Regional Pricing raised it's ugly head.

Does this mean that GOG already planned on implementing Regional Pricing in order to attract these games in the first place? I don't think so - I think these games were always coming to GOG.com. So, the number of new games attracted by Regional Pricing is 0.

I MAY change my attitude if we get some really good games coming along to GOG.com, but they had better be bloody good. I am talking the likes of Command & Conquer, Morrowind, Warcraft III, and The Sims here. You know, the genre defining blockbusters from the BIG companies.

However, GOG doesn't even have the original Fallout games back from Bethesda, let alone anything new. Anyone notice a connection between the sudden change to Regional Pricing for classic games, and Bethesda receiving the rights to the iconic games GOG has been selling from the start? I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda is one of the developers pushing GOG to implement Regional Pricing.
hedwards: DRM free was one of the things that differentiated GOG from other sites, but at this point it's the only thing that they haven't dropped in the pursuit of growth.
And since there is no growth to be had by dropping DRM-free, they're unlikely to do so (unless they decide to be stupid).

GOG's line of thinking seems to be that DRM-free is the primary thing that differentiates them from the competition and that all of their efforts should be focused on that, even if it means dropping the other values they once held to help further that goal. Whether or not that mentality is justified remains to be seen; personally, I can see merit in arguments provided by both sides of the debate and think that it can go either way. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.
hedwards: DRM free was one of the things that differentiated GOG from other sites, but at this point it's the only thing that they haven't dropped in the pursuit of growth.
Gandos: And since there is no growth to be had by dropping DRM-free, they're unlikely to do so (unless they decide to be stupid).

GOG's line of thinking seems to be that DRM-free is the primary thing that differentiates them from the competition and that all of their efforts should be focused on that, even if it means dropping the other values they once held to help further that goal. Whether or not that mentality is justified remains to be seen; personally, I can see merit in arguments provided by both sides of the debate and think that it can go either way. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.
There's tons of games that they could have here if they drop the DRM, and probably the same can be said about dropping the one price policy.

It's still very much the case that the same line of reasoning used to justify this could be used to justify that as well. Considering how strongly they felt about the other things they dropped, I'm not sure how much confidence I have in them sticking to the DRM-free policy as well.
hedwards: There's tons of games that they could have here if they drop the DRM, and probably the same can be said about dropping the one price policy.
I really can't think of many games that would be possible to release here by dropping the DRM-free policy but keeping worldwide pricing policy. Also, all the ones I can think of are indies; the major titles from the bigger publishers/developers would all still remain locked out due to requiring regional pricing.

It's still very much the case that the same line of reasoning used to justify this could be used to justify that as well. Considering how strongly they felt about the other things they dropped, I'm not sure how much confidence I have in them sticking to the DRM-free policy as well.
I'll just repeat again what I've said before:

I'm sure GOG would never start to allow DRM. If they did then they'd offer absolutely nothing over Steam and therefore be unable to compete. Either that, or they'd have to become merely yet another Steam key reseller. And then what would differentiate them from the many other Steam key resellers out there?

What would they have to gain from that? DRM-free is their #1 unique selling point. How many other stores insist that all of the games they sell must be DRM-free? Sure GOG might be able to "sell" more games if they allowed DRM or started just selling Steam keys... but then, to whom? They built up their userbase first and foremost on the DRM-free aspect of their business, it is their identity; it's been given as the main motivation behind almost every change in policy they've made so far. When I recommend GOG to people and whenever I've seen others recommend GOG it's always the DRM-free aspect that's mentioned as the main reason to buy here (the other being compatibility, when older games are involved). GOG have always been about DRM-free first and foremost and if they ever dropped that then they'd also be throwing away almost their entire userbase. It would be suicide for them.

Here's a hypothetical scenario- If GOG decided to adopt DRM (by selling Steam keys, as it would be pointless to try any other DRM scheme) and kept worldwide pricing. What do you think would change? How would that help them? Answer: not at all. They wouldn't get any more signficant titles. Certainly none of the major titles, as those would still be bogged down with retail agreements mandating regional pricing. All that would happen is you'd start to see indie developers selling only Steam keys here, that they would also be selling elsewhere at the same price through e.g. Humble Widgets on their own site.