It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
hedwards: There's tons of games that they could have here if they drop the DRM, and probably the same can be said about dropping the one price policy.
adamhm: I really can't think of many games that would be possible to release here by dropping the DRM-free policy but keeping worldwide pricing policy. Also, all the ones I can think of are indies; the major titles from the bigger publishers/developers would all still remain locked out due to requiring regional pricing.
The rest of the Assassin's Creed games, the rest of the Simcity games, the rest of the Civilization games. Probably all the Fallout games. Not to mention all the iD games now that they're no longer independent.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a crapload of quality games that aren't here in large part because GOG doesn't do DRM software. And considering that they've given up on every one of their values except for the worldwide availability and DRM-free gaming, I'm not sure how much faith I have in them to keep that one as well.
hedwards: There's tons of games that they could have here if they drop the DRM, and probably the same can be said about dropping the one price policy.
If customers have no reason to use their service, then it hardly matters how many more games they can get if they drop DRM-free (which, again, is perfectly illustrated by what happened to the other DD services with DRM). They wouldn't be able to compete with Steam in terms of sheer quantity of games, anyway.

Like I said, there is no growth to be had for GOG by dropping DRM-free.
Alexrd: Really? How so? If GOG ever puts DRM in their games, it makes them no different than its competition, therefore making them obsolete and eventually "deceased".

Here we are now, with an higher chance to get those games (and newer ones) the community has been asking for, DRM-free. I'll take that.
Davane: It cannot be argued that we have a better chance to get new games by this change. So far, we have got the Witcher 3, Divinity 3: Original Sin, and Age of Wonders 3. At least two of these games would come to GOG.com anyway - and despite the notion of NDA's, these titles had already been revealed before Regional Pricing raised it's ugly head.

Does this mean that GOG already planned on implementing Regional Pricing in order to attract these games in the first place? I don't think so - I think these games were always coming to GOG.com. So, the number of new games attracted by Regional Pricing is 0.

I MAY change my attitude if we get some really good games coming along to GOG.com, but they had better be bloody good. I am talking the likes of Command & Conquer, Morrowind, Warcraft III, and The Sims here. You know, the genre defining blockbusters from the BIG companies.

However, GOG doesn't even have the original Fallout games back from Bethesda, let alone anything new. Anyone notice a connection between the sudden change to Regional Pricing for classic games, and Bethesda receiving the rights to the iconic games GOG has been selling from the start? I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda is one of the developers pushing GOG to implement Regional Pricing.
That wouldn't surprise me either. They're using the same 1 dollar = 1 euro policy for their latest MMO. And I know Microsoft does it, too.
Unfortunate that they're not going to give store credit with Witcher 3 and Divinity 3... I would've been interested in both of those games if they did give store credit, as was the case with Witcher 2. Now I'm just going to wait until they're on sale (unless there's a better dollar-to-euro conversion for those 2 games, definitely not buying at 1:1).
hedwards: The rest of the Assassin's Creed games, the rest of the Simcity games, the rest of the Civilization games. Probably all the Fallout games. Not to mention all the iD games now that they're no longer independent.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a crapload of quality games that aren't here in large part because GOG doesn't do DRM software. And considering that they've given up on every one of their values except for the worldwide availability and DRM-free gaming, I'm not sure how much faith I have in them to keep that one as well.
I see that they use regional pricing for those games on Steam and elsewhere. Also what makes you so sure it's just the DRM issue keeping Bethesda, Take-Two etc. away?

What reason would there be to use GOG if they started adopting DRM? Even if they were cheaper than Steam they'd find it difficult to get buyers - unless they were selling Steam keys. In which case they'd be just another Steam key reseller like all the others, with no differentiating features. This would make no sense at all, especially after having worked so hard to build up their userbase first and foremost on everything here being DRM-free (I understand that some users here are here first and foremost for the worldwide pricing, but that's never been what GOG has actively and consistently promoted as their "main mission" during all of their prior policy changes and I'd wager not what brought most of their users here, myself included).

Why would those publishers want to agree to worldwide pricing when none of the other big stores require it and when GOG's offering nothing special to their users? Also what makes you think that even if they did agree to worldwide pricing, they wouldn't just set the "worldwide" price to match the highest regional price anywhere?

They might eke out a few more sales, but I'm doubtful if it would be that many... most of those games have already been pretty damn cheap during sales on Steam and elsewhere with DRM, so they'd have very low sales potential here unless they were DRM-free. For example. I already have Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and the Elder Scrolls series elsewhere (mix of retail + Steam). If GOG could offer those with worldwide pricing here but DRM, there would be exactly 0 incentive for me to buy them (and there would still be no incentive for people who have previously been avoiding them completely due to the DRM). If I want those games cheap and with DRM I can get them anywhere, it's just a matter of waiting for one of the many, frequent deep-discount sales to come around. But getting a DRM free copy at *any* price? Currently impossible. So if they were to release them here DRM-free but with regional pricing? Instabuy. I wouldn't even care about waiting for a discount (although GOG would most likely talk them into having some launch discount to maximise sales).

At least with GOG adopting regional pricing they'll be offering something other platforms don't (i.e. DRM-free versions), even if the price is the same.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by adamhm
Well, there are (Steam) key stores around the world which allow circumventing regional rip-off pricing. And there is still the option to buy boxed games from international sellers, if you can wait a buch of days for airmail arrival..

So why should anyone buy region-expensive games at full price on GOG?
The thing that makes me resign is that I know that we can complain all we want - it won't change anything.

Let's face it, it all comes down to profit. We are just those who are allowed to pay and play along the rules the publisher make.
And GoG does not skip the opportunity to make some extra money by playing along with the publishers games.

I understand that profit is what makes a company go round but is it really worth it? Especially if it seems like it worked out before.

I think probably it will be a neutral win/loose situation for GoG in the end. They will loose some and gain some customers. But that result will probably be seen as a win-scenario because after that, all or most of the skeptics are gone and a following change of the ToS won't cause that much rumble.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by Fakum12
high rated
<span class="bold">Business strategy meeting at GOG.com headquarters.</span>
I'll probably end up getting a good VPN, like hidemya$$
Fakum12: The thing that makes me resign is that I know that we can complain all we want - it won't change anything.
That's true, although complaining can have the effect of making the person doing the complaining feel better. But yes, with their actions since Friday, they've made it clear all the complaining in the world won't change anything.

But there is something that can change things. If you're willing to do it. I am.

*Bows to the master*

Well done sir! (or madam)!

That's funny stuff right there. That's CLASSIC.

"You said that the people were so obsessed with "no DRM" that they'd swallow this hook. line, and sinker!"

Turns out that's only true of some, not all.
Post edited February 26, 2014 by OldFatGuy
Keep mentioning The Wticher 2 and I'll have a heart attack! *wishful thinking* Please let it be The Witcher 3, repeat, rinse...
Fakum12: The thing that makes me resign is that I know that we can complain all we want - it won't change anything.
I'm not someone, who makes the effort to complain, I speak with my wallet.

My policy for new releases: Steam key included or no deal. Every other shop has these, even Humble Store.
"Explain how we're selflessly doing this to make "AA+" titles available to them! They can't possibly know how much money we've already made, so plea to poverty! Add some human interest by telling them that otherwise we'd have to fire everyone!" LOL!!!!
"I have a spin or two you rookies don't even know of! Why is it "regional pricing" anyway? It should be "fair local pricing" to confuse those disloyal #!$%s!" HAHAHA!!!!
Post edited February 27, 2014 by jfanno
EPIIIIC!
https://secure.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing