It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Elmofongo: Well that is what Jim Sterling said in one of his vids.
I didn't remember that one... but I'm a fan of Mr. Sterling :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YsS9508fQ
high rated
groze: I've read all of the blue posts and nowhere in them did I find substance to all the speculation you all have been trying to pass out as fact and things that undoubtedly will come to pass.

You talk a lot about values and core principles, but apparently only when it comes to companies. Consumers that only care about price and money and go all bitchy when this happens, foreshadowing the worst possible outcome, giving GOG no chance and engaging in conspiracy theories, hypothetical reasoning and fear leverage spreading, dressing it as "pragmatic worries", going to buy a DRM version of a game on some other digital distributor sure are very morally entitled to talk about values and core principles, right?

And, please, stop talking as if those of us not overreacting like egotistical cry-babies were all douches with no respect for your concerns. First of all, that's not true. Secondly, you are on no righteous quest of any sort to uphold core values and ethical principles, all most of you are doing is misinterpreting what GOG said and seeing things where there's absolutely nothing to be seen -- yet, at least.

Most of us don't go around spamming "it doesn't affect me, lol" -- in fact, I didn't see a single post of that nature, so far. Please, stop making things up, either regarding this situation or people that aren't overreacting and prefer to take the sensible course of action and waiting to see where this leads us. Other than that, keep complaining all you want, GOG are unethical monsters in your disappointed eyes, but somehow they haven't been censoring any of this, they didn't close the thread, they addressed, to the best the NDAs let them, pretty much all of your inflated concerns, so, use the thread to express your anger, I'm OK with that, everyone has the right to speak their mind, as long as they keep things civil.
First off, thanks for making multiple assumptions about me, my motives & agenda, and my future actions all the while knowing exactly nth about me.

Secondly, for someone claiming to practice, and expect others to also do so, respect and civility, you’ve expressed yourself (multiple times) in an aggressive, offensive, disdainful and patronising way towards those you disagree with – “overreacting bitching and moaning”, “egotistical cry-babies”, “bullies”, “making things up”, “fear-mongering”, just to name some of the name calling you’ve practised. Thanks for that also, but I’m pretty certain that I don’t want to follow your example.

Thirdly, I was a bit shocked by the aggressiveness you attacked me out of nowhere – this post of mine really seems to have been the last straw for you. So, I’ll return the favour of advising and suggest that maybe instead of telling people to calm down, take a deep breath and all that, maybe it’s you that should take a step back and leave this thread for a few hours to calm down – just a thought.

I’m not going to blame you if you missed the "it doesn't affect me, lol" posts – it’s not that hard in this massive thread of 2,600+ and counting posts, especially if you got tired by all the unfounded negativity and skimmed through those one-line posts taking them for another crude attack against GOG. But I’m not going to go and dig them up for you just to convince you that I didn’t make those up – I assure you I didn’t and the evidence is in this very thread.

I’ve debated quite a bit with myself (hence the late reply) if there’s any meaning in providing you with some context about me. I am going to, but since you think that I’m in the habit of making things up, you’re free to choose to not believe anything that I say here.

I don’t have a Steam/ Origin/ Uplay or any other account that comes with mandatory clients and the usual requirements and terms of industry standards and I will never have one. I have not purchased a single DRM’d game (sins of my youth while purchasing retail excluded) and I will never do so. I have not activated a single key on Steam from the various indie-bundles I’ve purchased and never intend to (games that come exclusively in the form of a Steam key as part of a bundle are non existent to me). I’ve also redeemed zero of the Steam keys from crowdfunding projects I’ve backed and always make sure it’s going to be DRM-free (a very welcome bonus if on GOG) before backing.
If GOG would ever drop “DRM-free”, I’d be left with very, very limited options and alternatives; and most certainly none where I could be 100% certain that every single game is truly DRM-free.

The fact that GOG has done a good number of positive things (something I don’t deny) does not automatically give them a free pass on everything they do or the way they do it – ten good deeds don’t magically mean that a questionable one shouldn’t be examined and criticised.

I’ve explained in a previous post why I oppose the current regional pricing model and the way it’s being implemented and what model I’d support – in absolute monetary terms, that is. I never claimed that GOG’s flat pricing model was the golden rule and solution to everything, but putting away one flawed system and replacing it with another equally (if not more) flawed one is not the solution either.
I’ve also stated that the actual price tag by and of itself is not my main concern, as I make very selective purchases based on my interests and financial state. My main reasons of opposing are the potential implications of its effective implementation (it’s all in TET’s post #909 and a couple of others, though you’d reply that there’s nth there) – when lawyers are brought into a discussion like this, I don’t expect much good to come out of their involvement.
I’ve also never claimed that everything is doomed because of these potential implications; I’ve only said that some developments are not unthinkable and that I’m alarmed because of the mixed messages I’m getting from all the vague answers and the complete luck of any commitment or promises – never said that the worst will undoubtedly happen, nor that anything I’m alarmed about will happen tomorrow or over night.
It all may seem so to you or you’re interpreting everything I say as such because you chose to go and stand at the exact opposite side.
But let’s examine one single thing of this whole discussion. You said “Nowhere did The Enigmatic T and/or GOG said they're adopting an unfair pricing system”. Let’s see what TET said:

TheEnigmaticT: snip

I think the fact that we're offering them for the same price as any other store in the world

You can buy a day-one game like Divinity: Original Sin from any store on the 'Net for the same price, …

snip

We know that 1 euro isn't 1 dollar, and we want to try to offset that.

snip
And later on he brought lawyers, lawsuit threats and existing agreements for retail distribution into the discussion.
So, I’m asking you – putting all the above together, what sort of regional pricing model does it sound like to be? Does it sound like a new, freshly drafted model that’s based on actual fair pricing? Or like the one we all know how it’s structured and implemented?
I deduct it’s the latter – the question is, what about this deduction makes it unfounded and a slippery slope fallacy?

I’m not jumping ship and will of course wait - wait and watch how it pans out.

Believe what you want. Have a nice day.

P.S. Guillaume's posting more in-depth explanations tomorrow - let's hope those will actually clear up things and instil reassurance.

EDIT: additional quoting on one of TET's posts for context
Post edited February 24, 2014 by HypersomniacLive
nikmousa: A rather quick post from me (didn't have time to read 133pages!)

If I am getting this straight, there will be SOME games that cost euros instead of dollars (at least for me).

So instead of paypal making the conversion of, let's say 10$ = 7.22euros or smth like that, there will be a 7.22euro price tag at GOG.com to begin with? And the price will slightly fluctuate daily? That's more or less the same tbh

or

It's gonna be smth like 10dollars = 10euros flat? I really hope that's not the case. That's horrid!

PS
I just noticed that the humble store (not the Humble Bundle) changed to euros!
Although they state that:
-Humble Pricing is an automated price that is updated every night based on the US dollar price of the game.
-...we recognize that it doesn’t make sense for every developer or publisher. We also give them the option to provide an MSRP for each currency or region

Starbound moved from 15$ to 14euros. I guess that's the 2nd option.
Are we to expect smth similar? I'm a little confused :s
Hope not, Humble store switched to euros without warning and now Starbound is damn overpriced.

But I still have hope things won´t be that bad in Gog.
nikmousa: A rather quick post from me (didn't have time to read 133pages!)

If I am getting this straight, there will be SOME games that cost euros instead of dollars (at least for me).

So instead of paypal making the conversion of, let's say 10$ = 7.22euros or smth like that, there will be a 7.22euro price tag at GOG.com to begin with? And the price will slightly fluctuate daily? That's more or less the same tbh

or

It's gonna be smth like 10dollars = 10euros flat? I really hope that's not the case. That's horrid!

PS
I just noticed that the humble store (not the Humble Bundle) changed to euros!
Although they state that:
-Humble Pricing is an automated price that is updated every night based on the US dollar price of the game.
-...we recognize that it doesn’t make sense for every developer or publisher. We also give them the option to provide an MSRP for each currency or region

Starbound moved from 15$ to 14euros. I guess that's the 2nd option.
Are we to expect smth similar? I'm a little confused :s
Drerhu: Hope not, Humble store switched to euros without warning and now Starbound is damn overpriced.

Buy it straight from the devs. Better deal.
http://playstarbound.com/store/
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Niggles
DF1871: another 20% are games that can be aquired on Fan-sites for free as abandonware
'Abandonware' is not a legal term, and just a justification for a particular type of piracy where the game is no longer available in any legal form, and the IP holders no longer cares (or even exists).

As soon as a game becomes available for sale anywhere, it de facto stops being 'abandonware'.
Drerhu: Hope not, Humble store switched to euros without warning and now Starbound is damn overpriced.

Niggles: Buy it straight from the devs. Better deal.
http://playstarbound.com/store/
Agreed.
TheEnigmaticT: Sorry you feel that way (and man, it took a long time to read through the thread updates since Saturday). I can't say a whole lot about our plans for this because of NDAs / it's not the messaging that we've agreed upon with partners. What I will say is: maybe you should see how implementation for this works before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

Also: we've been paying attention to all of the comments in this thread (and had about an hour-long meeting about it this morning). Guillaume is writing a more in-depth explanations about what exactly we're planning on doing with regional pricing in the future. I think part of what you guys see as the disconnect between the tone of the messaging that we have here and how you feel is that you don't know all of the details for what we're planning. Regardless, we'll be posting something more in-depth tomorrow about this. Hopefully you (and the rest of the folks here in the forums) will be able to rest substantially easier once he's had his say.
Cavalary: All right, was saying I just moved you straight from the strong support list to the boycott list and won't bother with anything else, but let's try a somewhat more reasonable message after just letting off a bit of steam Friday. This is darn difficult, mind you.

Regional pricing for on-line sales is wrong. There's absolutely no excuse or justification for it. For physical sales there are varying taxes, transportation costs, the shares taken by the various shops themselves and wildly varying bills, rent and wages those stores have to pay. On-line, nobody can argue that it costs 0.01 USD to send a certain number of bits to the US and 5.46 EUR to send it to the EU for a 19.99 USD / 19.99 EUR game (even 0.46 EUR would still be entirely unreasonable, if it'd be 19.99 USD / 14.99 EUR), and let's not even mention the even more outrageous situation for Australia / New Zealand. Hence, publishers merely do it because they can get away with it, there's absolutely nothing that can be said to justify it or your choice to give in to this.

When you gave in for The Witcher 2, it was as a result of a court order, after a lengthy court battle that you lost, and you tried to make up for it with some store credit and even "broke" the geo-IP for a while to allow people to pick their location when buying that as well, which incidentally was an even greater plus for those same Aussies who had even worse problems than pricing to worry about. In that case, you fought for us, the customers, and alongside us, and even though you lost one battle, you did what you could to make it so we won't lose it as well. And it was just one battle in a war, it happens, moving on.

Now, however, with this announcement, you did not lose a battle, you simply surrendered in the war, and contrary to what you said, you are pissing on our heads and telling us it's raining. As that video people have been sharing proves, only last summer you were saying this will never happen, that if you ever allow for any dent in your values that's the end of GOG, and just two months ago someone from support told me regional pricing will never happen, and now... There is nothing you can say to justify this or make it tolerable. Nothing! You had two clear, specific, core values, DRM-free and flat price worldwide. You gave up on one of them. It's not a question of slippery slope, of potential consequences to the no-DRM stance in the future as well or anything else, not right now and not specifically at least. It's a question of betraying one of your two core principles, and therefore betraying us. And hiding it in a so-called positive announcement, hiding your traces by making that video private, trying to justify it in who knows what way now is not making it any better, but worse.

As I saw someone else put it at some point on here, people like sales, coupons, free stuff, etc. everywhere, but people loved GOG. You were the good guys, you fought for us and we fought for you. Some people bought dozens or even hundreds of games on here (even if on big sales) just to support you, not because they absolutely wanted them, and definitely not because they needed to get them legally anywhere. Others shared your news, your offers, your announcements, supported you in other ways, persuaded friends and acquaintances to join GOG, make purchases as well, spread the word even further. It wasn't a client - store business relationship, it was an emotional attachment because it truly felt as if we were in this fight against the other, evil, businesses in this industry together. And you now proved not to be the case. That's a betrayal, and the reaction to this, the rejection, will be just as emotional and vehement and steadfast as the support used to be, and possibly even more so.

If you were so desperate to get publishers too rotten to allow for fair prices for some of their games in one shop among several, just to count the major ones, you could, at the very worst, make an entirely separate site, without any visible connection to GOG, ran by an entirely different team, that would sell just those games, and leave GOG as it was. That'd have still been a blow, but it'd at least have been something else, wouldn't have soiled GOG directly.

If you truly believe you'll get many games like this, you could still do that. Once you get, say, 50 or so under those terms, new, DRM-free but not fair priced, make another site, selling just those games, without negatively affecting GOG. Guarantee that GOG will maintain its principles, so including the fair flat price one, and still get at least 150 new releases per year (100 from the old two games at least three years old per week rule, rounding down to give a week off during the summer sale and one during the winter sale, and 50 more to justify the fact that you decided to stop focusing just on those "older" games some time ago - which incidentally started the slippery slope that led to this, mind you), and put the others on said other site, with the rule that they may not stay there with non-flat prices more than two years after being included in the catalog or more than three years after launch, whichever comes first. Then, once you can get a publisher to accept flat pricing for one of those games, move it to GOG too, but if you can't get such an agreement before the game is on that other site for two years or three years have passed since it was first released, whichever comes first, it will be removed from that other site and forgotten about, since the point wouldn't be to cater to rotten unreasonable publisher demands forever, but just to provide a gradual way in for them towards a fair model. And either way name and shame, spell out precisely which publisher made this rotten demand and what they said to your attempts to persuade them otherwise.

Again, this other site idea would still be a blow, would still be a betrayal, but not as much of one and at least it'd be a betrayal by CD Projekt (which won't exactly be a first if you recall the going after Witcher 2 "pirates" bit or the fact that they just signed a distribution deal for Witcher 3 with the same rotten <bleep> who forced you into the regional pricing for Witcher 2), not by GOG.

Sorry for the length, but... I guess that's as reasonable as I can get. Adding any game on GOG with regional pricing, or of course adding region locks or other such things that may follow, is not tolerable under any circumstances. Period.
One of the best posts I've ever read on GOG.

Period. And I agree with everything you say 100 percent.
DF1871: another 20% are games that can be aquired on Fan-sites for free as abandonware
amok: 'Abandonware' is not a legal term, and just a justification for a particular type of piracy where the game is no longer available in any legal form, and the IP holders no longer cares (or even exists).

As soon as a game becomes available for sale anywhere, it de facto stops being 'abandonware'.
Dunno what to said; Blood and Blood 2 are only sold in Gog, if I´m not wrong. But funny thing, even with Atari like that..still keep the copyright and doesn´t release the source code (or sell the rights, Devolver tried to purchase it but was TOO much expensive)

Abandonware world it´s really weird...and greedy sometimes =_=
high rated
I wonder if the games that are coming here will be DRM-free only on GOG.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free anyway. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it to you'.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Pheace
Cavalary: All right, was saying I just moved you straight from the strong support list to the boycott list and won't bother with anything else, but let's try a somewhat more reasonable message after just letting off a bit of steam Friday. This is darn difficult, mind you.

Regional pricing for on-line sales is wrong. There's absolutely no excuse or justification for it. For physical sales there are varying taxes, transportation costs, the shares taken by the various shops themselves and wildly varying bills, rent and wages those stores have to pay. On-line, nobody can argue that it costs 0.01 USD to send a certain number of bits to the US and 5.46 EUR to send it to the EU for a 19.99 USD / 19.99 EUR game (even 0.46 EUR would still be entirely unreasonable, if it'd be 19.99 USD / 14.99 EUR), and let's not even mention the even more outrageous situation for Australia / New Zealand. Hence, publishers merely do it because they can get away with it, there's absolutely nothing that can be said to justify it or your choice to give in to this.

When you gave in for The Witcher 2, it was as a result of a court order, after a lengthy court battle that you lost, and you tried to make up for it with some store credit and even "broke" the geo-IP for a while to allow people to pick their location when buying that as well, which incidentally was an even greater plus for those same Aussies who had even worse problems than pricing to worry about. In that case, you fought for us, the customers, and alongside us, and even though you lost one battle, you did what you could to make it so we won't lose it as well. And it was just one battle in a war, it happens, moving on.

Now, however, with this announcement, you did not lose a battle, you simply surrendered in the war, and contrary to what you said, you are pissing on our heads and telling us it's raining. As that video people have been sharing proves, only last summer you were saying this will never happen, that if you ever allow for any dent in your values that's the end of GOG, and just two months ago someone from support told me regional pricing will never happen, and now... There is nothing you can say to justify this or make it tolerable. Nothing! You had two clear, specific, core values, DRM-free and flat price worldwide. You gave up on one of them. It's not a question of slippery slope, of potential consequences to the no-DRM stance in the future as well or anything else, not right now and not specifically at least. It's a question of betraying one of your two core principles, and therefore betraying us. And hiding it in a so-called positive announcement, hiding your traces by making that video private, trying to justify it in who knows what way now is not making it any better, but worse.

As I saw someone else put it at some point on here, people like sales, coupons, free stuff, etc. everywhere, but people loved GOG. You were the good guys, you fought for us and we fought for you. Some people bought dozens or even hundreds of games on here (even if on big sales) just to support you, not because they absolutely wanted them, and definitely not because they needed to get them legally anywhere. Others shared your news, your offers, your announcements, supported you in other ways, persuaded friends and acquaintances to join GOG, make purchases as well, spread the word even further. It wasn't a client - store business relationship, it was an emotional attachment because it truly felt as if we were in this fight against the other, evil, businesses in this industry together. And you now proved not to be the case. That's a betrayal, and the reaction to this, the rejection, will be just as emotional and vehement and steadfast as the support used to be, and possibly even more so.

If you were so desperate to get publishers too rotten to allow for fair prices for some of their games in one shop among several, just to count the major ones, you could, at the very worst, make an entirely separate site, without any visible connection to GOG, ran by an entirely different team, that would sell just those games, and leave GOG as it was. That'd have still been a blow, but it'd at least have been something else, wouldn't have soiled GOG directly.

If you truly believe you'll get many games like this, you could still do that. Once you get, say, 50 or so under those terms, new, DRM-free but not fair priced, make another site, selling just those games, without negatively affecting GOG. Guarantee that GOG will maintain its principles, so including the fair flat price one, and still get at least 150 new releases per year (100 from the old two games at least three years old per week rule, rounding down to give a week off during the summer sale and one during the winter sale, and 50 more to justify the fact that you decided to stop focusing just on those "older" games some time ago - which incidentally started the slippery slope that led to this, mind you), and put the others on said other site, with the rule that they may not stay there with non-flat prices more than two years after being included in the catalog or more than three years after launch, whichever comes first. Then, once you can get a publisher to accept flat pricing for one of those games, move it to GOG too, but if you can't get such an agreement before the game is on that other site for two years or three years have passed since it was first released, whichever comes first, it will be removed from that other site and forgotten about, since the point wouldn't be to cater to rotten unreasonable publisher demands forever, but just to provide a gradual way in for them towards a fair model. And either way name and shame, spell out precisely which publisher made this rotten demand and what they said to your attempts to persuade them otherwise.

Again, this other site idea would still be a blow, would still be a betrayal, but not as much of one and at least it'd be a betrayal by CD Projekt (which won't exactly be a first if you recall the going after Witcher 2 "pirates" bit or the fact that they just signed a distribution deal for Witcher 3 with the same rotten <bleep> who forced you into the regional pricing for Witcher 2), not by GOG.

Sorry for the length, but... I guess that's as reasonable as I can get. Adding any game on GOG with regional pricing, or of course adding region locks or other such things that may follow, is not tolerable under any circumstances. Period.
Bloodygoodgames: One of the best posts I've ever read on GOG.

Period. And I agree with everything you say 100 percent.
I fully concur with the post as well.

I recently bought the games of the D&D sale, even though I had most of the games as physical copies, just to support GOG and also have a digital version for a decent price (+ in some cases the English version). With GOG abandoning one core principle, I am not inclined to (this is marketing speech, what I mean is: I will not) show this kind of "support" anymore.
Pheace: I wonder if the games that are coming here will be DRM-free only on GOG.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free already. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it here'.
The only thing that should matter is if games already on the site, especially old pc games like Ultima and Planescape, will not go above price because of this. And if new releases of old PC games won't suffer the region prices, Because so far from what I have seen this region stuff will only affect newer AAA games from say 2007 to now.

So if this expect something like Crysis 1 being priced at $20 (or whatever Euro price it converts to)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Elmofongo
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: The strength of the reaction has made TheFrenchMonk and w0rma rethink our messaging priorities
That would have helped a lot, an awful lot, and probably made such a big difference this weekend and your Monday would be completely different. But there is no messaging in the world that will say we're "changing one of the things we've always advertised as what we stand for" that isn't going to leave many unhappy. It would be like Burger King deciding that customers had to accept all of their menu items as is, despite years of their motto being "Have it your way."

I think, but am not sure as I took very few marketing classes in college, that a better way to handle something like that would be to face it head on, no bullshit, no bones about it. For example:

"We have some exciting news and some unpleasant news. First we'll give you the exciting news, and that is that we've got some big name distributors coming on board, and that's going to mean a whole lot of exciting new games, with new releases, including three really big titles we here at GoG are very very excited about and we think you will too.

However, it wasn't easy getting these distributors to agree to come here to GOG, as they have traditionally gone against one of our core values of selling only DRM free games. So, in order to stick to that principle, we decided it was best for everyone (our company and you the gamers) if we compromised a little on another of our well advertised principles, and that is regional pricing.

We hope you guys will understand that we didn't wish to compromise on anything, but in order to bring a lot of new games from these new distributors, distributors that you've let us know you want, we were forced to in essence prioritize our core values, and we decided DRM free was important enough to perhaps compromise on regional pricing in a few cases.

By no means are we changing our overall policy on regional pricing, and every game currently here will remain as it is now, one price for all. And most of our new releases will remain that way too, in fact a very large majority. However, it became a choice between having an exciting new distributor, with lots of exciting new titles including big name, new releases under our policy of selling only DRM free games but instituting regional pricing on some of them, or not having these titles to offer DRM free at all.

So made the choice to try this approach and see how it works. We will monitor your feedback and how well this works or doesn't work and will respond to your desires as best we can. We hope at the end of the day that you too will be as excited as we are about this new development and we further hope that you understand that even though we may have compromised on one of our long time issues, DRM free games remains and always will remain one of the things you can count on from gog."

I dunno, just worked that out in a few minutes but something like that, where you meet it head on, I think would have made a big difference in how it was received, but even then you were going to have some upset folks. There was never going to be any way around that.
Pheace: I wonder if the games that are coming here will be DRM-free only on GOG.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free anyway. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it to you'.
Where can u buy drm free AAA games now?. Nowhere.
high rated

Also: we've been paying attention to all of the comments in this thread (and had about an hour-long meeting about it this morning). Guillaume is writing a more in-depth explanations about what exactly we're planning on doing with regional pricing in the future. I think part of what you guys see as the disconnect between the tone of the messaging that we have here and how you feel is that you don't know all of the details for what we're planning. Regardless, we'll be posting something more in-depth tomorrow about this. Hopefully you (and the rest of the folks here in the forums) will be able to rest substantially easier once he's had his say.
TheEnigmaticT: Well, yes and no. We knew that, especially given how little I was able to get clearance to tell you guys, that this would not go over smoothly. The strength of the reaction has made TheFrenchMonk and w0rma rethink our messaging priorities and we're telling you guys things that we had not initially planned to go into the details of yet.
I hope you'll address the questions that were raised.

And yes, you need to reassess your messaging priorities on more than one level - this bomb drop was done horribly and we're used to being treated better than this. And in case it needs to be repeated - no, it wasn't 'Good news'.

Speaking of messaging - you never told us how that poker game ended for you, winner?