It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Pheace: I wonder if the games that are coming here will be DRM-free only on GOG.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free anyway. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it to you'.
Probably, games like Sang-Froid was drmfree in Humble Store and Gog, but without warning, drm free option dissapeared in Humble store and only gog has the drmfre version.
Elmofongo: The only thing that should matter is if games already on the site, especially old pc games like Ultima and Planescape, will not go above price because of this. And if new releases of old PC games won't suffer the region prices, Because so far from what I have this region stuff will only affect newer games from say 2007 to now.
Not necessarily - contracts are timed and once time is up, the rightsholders can demand to be treated equally. In fact, this is something to be expected and thus the older stuff can get repriced in the end.
high rated
The most important question : Will you make a sequel to your famous "i told you you don't work here anymore" video ?

Seriously, that would be hilarious. I'm not sure how it would be recieved by the public, but you certainly at least owe us this.

(As a PUNISHMENT, if anything.)
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Telika
amok: 'Abandonware' is not a legal term, and just a justification for a particular type of piracy where the game is no longer available in any legal form, and the IP holders no longer cares (or even exists).

As soon as a game becomes available for sale anywhere, it de facto stops being 'abandonware'.
Drerhu: Dunno what to said; Blood and Blood 2 are only sold in Gog, if I´m not wrong. But funny thing, even with Atari like that..still keep the copyright and doesn´t release the source code (or sell the rights, Devolver tried to purchase it but was TOO much expensive)

Abandonware world it´s really weird...and greedy sometimes =_=
Abandonware is not a world, it is a made up term to justify a certain type of piracy.

As you self say, Atari holds tightly on to the copyrights - that means that the copyrights is not abandoned, it is just hard to get to. And Blood is sold here - which means that it is not abandoned - just sold in one store only.
HypersomniacLive: So, I’m asking you – putting all the above together, what sort of regional pricing model does it sound like to be?
What ever dev's and publishers think is fair for them. Dev's and publisher decide how they'll price their games in future, GOG can only give suggestions and try to persuade them to not demand too much (will not work as game will be priced same as elsewhere).
Nothing changes. I'll shop around and buy the best deal. DRM takes value away, so GOG will still most likely be the place I buy most of my games. If they had sold Thief 4 on GOG, I would have bought it here, even for a small price hike. With newer games coming, I'm excited. Hopefully I'll be getting games much quicker and from fewer distributors.
Pheace: I wonder if the games that are coming here will be DRM-free only on GOG.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free already. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it here'.
Elmofongo: The only thing that should matter is if games already on the site, especially old pc games like Ultima and Planescape, will not go above price because of this. And if new releases of old PC games won't suffer the region prices, Because so far from what I have seen this region stuff will only affect newer AAA games from say 2007 to now.

So if this expect something like Crysis 1 being priced at $20 (or whatever Euro price it converts to)
There is no guarantee that old games will not become regionally priced when contracts get re-negotiated.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming/post909/
Elmofongo: The only thing that should matter is if games already on the site, especially old pc games like Ultima and Planescape, will not go above price because of this. And if new releases of old PC games won't suffer the region prices, Because so far from what I have this region stuff will only affect newer games from say 2007 to now.
gkoczyk: Not necessarily - contracts are timed and once time is up, the rightsholders can demand to be treated equally. In fact, this is something to be expected and thus the older stuff can get repriced in the end.
Well I was going to say. "Well games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Thief are priced the same on Steam"

But I found out that UT2004 is 15 instead of 10 and interestingly enough Thief 1 and 2 on steam is cheaper than GOG by $6.99 :P
Another reason why i don't like this thing is.

I refuse to pay inflated prices or have german censored versions.
So i jumped the VPN hoop for Steam a few times and used inner european imports sometimes.

You know what though i realized games aren't that important and the whole jumping hoops is too much of a hassle if they don't want my money they won't get it.

Aside from the DRM-free that's another thing i didn't have to do with GOG, jump through hoops just to play the games i want as i want to.

It's no wonder the less than legal alternatives are so enticing for people, they usually don't have hoops to jump or hooks attached.
Elmofongo: The only thing that should matter is if games already on the site, especially old pc games like Ultima and Planescape, will not go above price because of this. And if new releases of old PC games won't suffer the region prices, Because so far from what I have seen this region stuff will only affect newer AAA games from say 2007 to now.

So if this expect something like Crysis 1 being priced at $20 (or whatever Euro price it converts to)
amok: There is no guarantee that old games will not become regionally priced when contracts get re-negotiated.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/announcement_big_preorders_launch_day_releases_coming/post909/
So meaning no games already here will change their price?
Telika: The most important question : Will you make a sequel to your famous "i told you you don't work here anymore" video ?

Seriously, that would be hilarious. I'm not sure how it would be recieved by the public, but you certainly at least owe us this.

(As a PUNISHMENT, if anything.)
Mwaaahahaha
high rated
Can someone from GOG explain me why should I pay MORE for the same DIGITAL product only because I live in Europe? Goddamn, even YOU are from Europe! Why should one side of the world feel inferior? Stick to your principles, for gods sake! Do not succumb to pressure and lobby of those distributors, that's the only way you can actually CHANGE something! If you can't make those prices the same for entire world then we don't need those games here.

Have you already forgotten what you have been saying all the time?

"Our prices are ALWAYS the same, WORLDWIDE. It doesn't matter whether you live in the sunny Bahamas (lucky you!) or some place where polar bears roam the streets, it's ALWAYS THE SAME price. Our company is based in Europe and VAT/tax is included in the games' prices. This means that GOG.com will always charge you the exact order total visible at checkout."

Do you want to make angry your fellow fans so much? Do you realize you are contradicting yourself? Are you prepared to lose your loyal fanbase and stain your name only because of short-term profit...? Well, I thought better of you, GOG.

If GOG changes this policy, then I swear I don't buy anything here anymore in the future.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Mich-666

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free anyway. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it to you'.
Niggles: Where can u buy drm free AAA games now?. Nowhere.
Let's go with the example TET used himself:

Impaler26: It's sad to see regional pricing coming to GOG! :(
I hope the games from those "big publishers" are worth it (somewhat at least)..."

Tet: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter FAQ:

Will this have DRM?

No. The box version will not have DRM. The http://gog.com/ version and the version of http://larianvault.com/ will not have DRM. The Steam version will not have keys to fill in or forms to fill out.
So even if GOG hadn't carried this game, this game would have been available DRM-free. So is that still worth dropping 'One World One Price' over?
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Pheace
high rated
amok: There is no guarantee that old games will not become regionally priced when contracts get re-negotiated.

Elmofongo: So meaning no games already here will change their price?
No, they can't promise that. And that's because, now they're allowing regional pricing on some games, other publishers will start to demand they want it on theirs.

After all, if $5.99 games in the US can suddenly be sold for 5.99 euros in Spain or 5.99 pounds in the UK, of course they'll go for it. In some instances, that's 30 percent more profit per game. The publishers would have to be fools not to see this and it's obviously something GOG hasn't seriously thought about. Either that, or frankly they don't care.

The argument 'It's regional pricing or no DRM-free game' has some merit to it. But a lot less so if it could've been bought elsewhere DRM-free already. Then it just comes down to 'It's regional pricing or we won't be able to sell it here'.
If they've managed to get something by the bigger publishers that otherwise would have been permanently locked into Steam/Origin/UPlay then this is a really big deal. It could potentially mark a big shift in the industry's attitudes toward DRM and as a result change the industry for the better. If this is the case then I support GOG's decision to allow regional pricing.

On the other hand, if it's something that would've been available DRM-free elsewhere anyway then their decision to sacrifice worldwide pricing won't make any sense and I will be very disappointed.

I don't see GOG making such a major shift in policy unless they had a damn good reason to, so I doubt these games would have been available DRM-free elsewhere if GOG hadn't taken this decision. That's why I'm really eager to find out exactly which games they've managed to get.

I don't think games already available here are going to change price due to this. As TET said already, it *could* happen, but only when the contracts come up for renegotiation, so it'll be a while at least before anything changes - and even then, just pointing out that changing the price for the worse won't improve sales is a strong argument against it.