It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Ganni1987: Many people here disagree with this change and partially so do I, but I really have to ask, do any of you buy games on Steam or GamersGate?
Me, if not I'll miss out lot of recent titles. I can't be selfish (over some principles which in reality don't affect me directly) because my brothers love video games as well. They're underage, so it become my responsibility. I'll keep hunting for best deal regardless of the vendor's core values.
mobutu: Since other many DRM-free games are selling well on gog (otherwise gog wouldnt be so successful as it is today) you cannot blame that some games aren't selling well because of drm-free. So you would have to look at what really is the difference between them and you'll see regional pricing being the culprit.
Leroux: The others games aren't Day One releases of AAA games though and are most probably bought at much cheaper prices, so a boycott of these titles could be interpreted as (a) GOG's customer base not being interested in new AAA games all that much and preferring old games and indies, (b) GOG's customer base not being interested in buying games for more than $30, therefor not supporting Day One releases of AAA games and preferring to wait for sales or offers like $9.99 or $5.99 games.
that's what bothers me about this, our actions can be interpreted poorly

I love a good AAA, I don't have an issue paying more than $30 for a game & I bought "Banished", the "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. set, Red Faction 1&2 & 7th Legion all day 1 of their availability here.
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: Divinity: Original Sin is an example of the kind of game we're talking about; it's already launched on Steam for early access with regional pricing, and it wouldn't be very fair of Larian to give our EU and UK users a better value for the game if they buy it from GOG.com later as opposed to Steam now.
Bloodygoodgames: Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.
Sorry you feel that way (and man, it took a long time to read through the thread updates since Saturday). I can't say a whole lot about our plans for this because of NDAs / it's not the messaging that we've agreed upon with partners. What I will say is: maybe you should see how implementation for this works before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

Also: we've been paying attention to all of the comments in this thread (and had about an hour-long meeting about it this morning). Guillaume is writing a more in-depth explanations about what exactly we're planning on doing with regional pricing in the future. I think part of what you guys see as the disconnect between the tone of the messaging that we have here and how you feel is that you don't know all of the details for what we're planning. Regardless, we'll be posting something more in-depth tomorrow about this. Hopefully you (and the rest of the folks here in the forums) will be able to rest substantially easier once he's had his say.
Ganni1987: do any of you buy games on Steam or GamersGate?
I quited physical boxed gaming a very long time ago.
I only guy digital games on gog. Never bought any digital game from elsewhere. And never will, if it is drm infested, region.*whatever infested, anti-customer, etc. I choose not to take any crap from where and how i'm spending my money.
If gog or any gog-like will be no more then i'll simply quit e-gaming and exit this market for good.

Leroux: The others games aren't Day One releases of AAA games though and are most probably bought at much cheaper prices, so a boycott of these titles could be interpreted as
(a) GOG's customer base not being interested in new AAA games all that much and preferring old games and indies,
(b) GOG's customer base not being interested in buying games for more than $30, therefor not supporting Day One releases of AAA games and preferring to wait for sales or offers like $9.99 or $5.99 games, both of which could lead to the assessment that GOG isn't the right place for these releases and that it's not worth it to go DRM-free for such a small and particular customer base.
While it is true what you have said, I will mention this:
- gog got here and become extremely successful because of the "customer Love" consisting of: (drmFree + fairWorldwidePrice + support) ... so drmFree was a huge part of their success and they did prove that drmFree works;
- the price range proved successful as long as drmFree matters is 5-25$ (maybe even 30?);
- there is ONE AAA dayOne game on gog that was extremely successful: Witcher 2.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by mobutu
Bloodygoodgames: I can buy absolutely every game GOG sells on a bootleg DVD here in Bangkok. I haven't done as I've loved supporting a site that sticks to its principles no matter what.

Now that it's obvious GOG doesn't have principles, and are trying to whitewash the truth by telling us all how "wonderful" it is that we'll be getting these three big games (whatever!) with regional pricing, there's not really much incentive to buy here anymore now is there.

I'll be downloading all my games over the next few weeks and then ......pretty much done here. Just like I became 'done' with GamersGate last year. Haven't bought a game there since.
: You will get pretty decent deals logging from Thailand, won't you?
high rated
Niggles: Just about now GOG staffers should be into reading this massive long thread .......
OldFatGuy: I seriously doubt it. I don't think it was an accident this news was dropped on a Friday afternoon. Someone likely stuck around and read the first few but that's likely going to be it. They knew what the response was going to be (their decision to try and hide the old youtubes proves this) and so they dropped it on a Friday afternoon, let it run it's course over the weekend and lose most of it's steam, and Monday they will probably press on as if this thread never took place.

At least I'm guessing that's their plan. If the apple cart is upset more than I think it is (and that would have to come from more than this thread) then I suppose they might further engage on this subject, otherwise I don't think they will. It's a losing fight, so best not to fight it.
I guess you didn't see the 30-plus replies I left at the beginning of the thread? After Saturday, we were pretty much arguing in circles and there wasn't a lot of reason to keep answering the same questions. But I can promise you that most all of the department heads at GOG have read through this thread (or at least large parts of it) and we're taking your replies to heart.
A rather quick post from me (didn't have time to read 133pages!)

If I am getting this straight, there will be SOME games that cost euros instead of dollars (at least for me).

So instead of paypal making the conversion of, let's say 10$ = 7.22euros or smth like that, there will be a 7.22euro price tag at GOG.com to begin with? And the price will slightly fluctuate daily? That's more or less the same tbh

or

It's gonna be smth like 10dollars = 10euros flat? I really hope that's not the case. That's horrid!

PS
I just noticed that the humble store (not the Humble Bundle) changed to euros!
Although they state that:
-Humble Pricing is an automated price that is updated every night based on the US dollar price of the game.
-...we recognize that it doesn’t make sense for every developer or publisher. We also give them the option to provide an MSRP for each currency or region

Starbound moved from 15$ to 14euros. I guess that's the 2nd option.
Are we to expect smth similar? I'm a little confused :s
high rated
Dear Gog-Team,

i just taked a look at my libary and noticed...that i didn't even downloaded 40% of the games because i bought games that i allready have or i will never play...
another 20% are games that can be aquired on Fan-sites for free as abandonware

i bought them to support Gog...as some kind of payback for the way you threat(ed) your customers...as a payback for your fair prices.

Through my "life" as a gamer i bought all games i played...after Steam and systems like this got more and more ground i first thought about getting "black copies" but decided to move to oldies and abondanware instead.
As i found gog..i thought the doors to heaven had opend :)..DRM-free, fair prices and not only a nice collection of Oldies and Indies...even some new games.

Dear Gog-Team...i abstained from getting all games at the releaseday, i abstained from getting all games with a german localisation, i abstained from getting many games at all...because i thought the Ideals of DRM-free and fairpricing are of enough value to pay this price.

And know you decide for me..that fair-pricing isn't of enough value :(

Dear Gog-team...why did i, and many other members too, end up with GoG the first way?
Because getting my games at the releaseday is soo important for me...
Because having access to a game is to important for me so i would use Steam
Because having access to a game...

What will happen...
1.(As i allready posted as a first reaction)...more regional pricing=less games i buy as a support&less games i buy at all
2.more regional pricing+restriction to prevent avoiding-regionalpricing=maybe buying a console or sailing under the black banner
I don't like regional pricing, but can I suggest that GOG could at least label those titles that have regional pricing visibly so, then customers know that game is regionaly priced.

That's all.
Leroux: The others games aren't Day One releases of AAA games though and are most probably bought at much cheaper prices, so a boycott of these titles could be interpreted as (a) GOG's customer base not being interested in new AAA games all that much and preferring old games and indies, (b) GOG's customer base not being interested in buying games for more than $30, therefor not supporting Day One releases of AAA games and preferring to wait for sales or offers like $9.99 or $5.99 games, both of which could lead to the assessment that GOG isn't the right place for these releases and that it's not worth it to go DRM-free for such a small and particular customer base.
Thanks, just came to post the same more or less.

@mobutu
Going by the announcement and TET's posts, we're talking about a completely different league of games than what's already on GOG.
Leroux is spot on.
For me it's more an addition to GOG than anything else.

I can still get all the GOG goodness I have now, but the people who are interested in buying AAA games (and have the computers to run them) can now get them here as well albeit for the same regional price as anywhere else.

I think many people who were so far "forced" to buy the AAA titles an Steam will be happy to be able to get them DRM-free on GOG and have all their games in one place here, although they don't get a better deal money-wise.
high rated
This is my first post since I registered.

And I have to say this decision is a betrayal of the core values of GoG.

In today's world of openness of the net, regional pricing is outright discrimination and is only used as an artifical market fragmentation tool to abuse apparent regional price demand differences. These differentials will only lead to the activities which attempt to exploit them or circumvent them, i.e. illegal piracy.

To the GoG team, I respect you because of your business model, please don't change it for the sake of appeasing your suppliers. Concentrate instead on your customers and don't discriminate against them.

One world, one price.
TheEnigmaticT: I guess you didn't see the 30-plus replies I left at the beginning of the thread? After Saturday, we were pretty much arguing in circles and there wasn't a lot of reason to keep answering the same questions. But I can promise you that most all of the department heads at GOG have read through this thread (or at least large parts of it) and we're taking your replies to heart.
Sorry. FWIW, I did see your responses, and that's kind of why I was thinking what I said, because it did seem like you reached a point where it was going around in circles and no longer replied. Thus, I thought you guys were done. I can't imagine, however, that this thread comes as a shock.
Ganni1987: Many people here disagree with this change and partially so do I, but I really have to ask, do any of you buy games on Steam or GamersGate?
TBH I do, but contrary to my purchases on GOG never out of support for the store, the publishers or the developers, so only when the games are very cheap, like 75% off. At least that applies to Steam (and I have never bought a game from Steam directly because I don't agree with the way they handle their payment, so I've only bought keys from bundles, key sellers or traded them in for GOG games). I pay a bit more for "DRM-free" games on GamersGate, despite their shitty but weak installation DRM (but hardly ever the full price), and I'm a lot more willing to pay higher prices on GOG and bought many games for the full price here, but only because I considered the offers fair and wanted to support this distribution method, not because I was forced to pay more for no good reason (from the customers' perspective). I will continue purchasing from GOG despite regional pricing, but my willingnes to spend much money on the games will decrease significantly, because if they drop their principles, I see no reason to support them out of principle anymore either. They will become just another shop for me.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Leroux
Ichwillnichtmehr: I admit that I am not all that versed in exchange rate vs. purchasing power, and I only know about the money I spend, and I would spend 37,5% more in the regional pricing scheme, if we assume the US price as the base price.

It wouldn't kill me, but spending 1/3 more for the same product isn't something I would look forward to.
crazy_dave: The link posted by DarkAXI0M explains it. I should've just linked to that - an exchange rate for goods based on purchasing power parity would be the most fair for digital goods, though I understand why people don't as it different goods will have different rates and so forth. Regional pricing can be thought of a stab at that, but is too course-grained and often gets manipulated for reasons beyond purchasing power.

Basically the common thing we think of as the exchange rate is what countries and banks pay for goods and currency traded to each other. But it is not always in (rough) equilibrium with how we spend currency in our home country. That's why you'll sometimes see travel people trying to sell you on visiting certain countries as "cheap" because you'll buy currency at some exchange rate from a bank and then spend money in that country at a lower rate.
Well, 'purchasing power' is one thing, but 'disposable income' is another, and in many regions of the UK, at least, the majority of families have seen a significant decline in their level of disposable income over the past decade due to a combination of factors.

If Steam pricing is anything to go by, the principle of 'fairness' in pricing is all over the place. They have price parity on some titles, bargain prices on some titles, and absolute price gouging (66-400 percent markups) on other titles. For those publishers who believe they can continue charging what they like, I think they had best prepare themselves for a slump in sales. Games are a luxury good (like other forms of entertainment), and in the current economic climate people are making hard choices about where to spend their money, with more and more people looking for bargains.

We'll have to wait and see how GOG implements regional pricing, but if it is similar to Steam, then I know that I will be one of those people waiting for deep discounts. I just can't afford full price games any more.