It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fender_178: I also forgot that B550 mobos were relased to OEMs earlier this year...
Themken: Yes and no, they are 550s only in name = rebranded 450s :-(
Yes you are correct. B550A boards are rebranded b450 boards with PCI-E gen 4 enabled on the slot geared towards GPUs. While the Standard b550 is just a rebranded x470 without the restriction for GPU and M.2 on PCI-E 4.0
Read an rps article today about the coming intel cpu's

125 tdp! ( for the k versions even the 5 )

10900k 3,7 - 5,3
10900 2,6 - 5,3

with the k unlocked, now i am in doubt to k or not to k will be the question?
integrated graphics seem like a must so i don't need to use the 2060s in every situation
i do wonder if hte integrated output can run through 2060 though, never had the luxury situation of 2 gpu's

pricepoint as low as 480 for the 10900k
won't be surprised if euro prices will be around 600
Radiance1979: Read an rps article today about the coming intel cpu's

10900k 3,7 - 5,3
10900 2,6 - 5,3

integrated graphics seem like a must so i don't need to use the 2060s in every situation
i do wonder if hte integrated output can run through 2060 though, never had the luxury situation of 2 gpu's

The 10900 should be fine with a big air cooler but the K variant will probably need water cooling to perform without throttling.

There is no point in having the iGPU passthroug the 2060, you still be running both anyway. Modern GPU's are very good at being efficient. In any circunstance you don't need the 2060, it will almost "shut down itself" to the point of having the iGPU is no advantage.
Just like modern high performance CPU's are very hot, the same with theyr iGPU's. There is a reason why Intel drop them...

125W watt TDP means just that, a random number made to get the CPU more or less, fit a cooler design. It means nothing for the end user and it has no relation to power consumption. Expect the 10900k unlocked (not overclocked, just unlocked so it not throttles, call it the max allowed stock configuration) to pull around 200W, probably way more doing intensive tasks.
Dark_art_: The 10900 should be fine with a big air cooler but the K variant will probably need water cooling to perform without throttling.
A suitable air cooler will be perfectly fine.

Like a Noctua NH-D15 or a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph9415/75581.png
Post edited May 04, 2020 by teceem
Radiance1979: Read an rps article today about the coming intel cpu's

10900k 3,7 - 5,3
10900 2,6 - 5,3

Dark_art_: The 10900 should be fine with a big air cooler but the K variant will probably need water cooling to perform without throttling.

There is no point in having the iGPU passthroug the 2060, you still be running both anyway. Modern GPU's are very good at being efficient. In any circunstance you don't need the 2060, it will almost "shut down itself" to the point of having the iGPU is no advantage.
Just like modern high performance CPU's are very hot, the same with theyr iGPU's. There is a reason why Intel drop them...

125W watt TDP means just that, a random number made to get the CPU more or less, fit a cooler design. It means nothing for the end user and it has no relation to power consumption. Expect the 10900k unlocked (not overclocked, just unlocked so it not throttles, call it the max allowed stock configuration) to pull around 200W, probably way more doing intensive tasks.
Oke well i guess i won't be needing the integrated graphics chip. Figured it would come in handy with gog games and such.

I mentioned the 125 since Intel seems to be having 'trouble' with keeping their heat in check lately though i'm sure with what i'm planning to do it won't ever go over 30% usage ( i hope ;) ) or maybe i find myself booting up my vid hobby again.
With my current r5 2600 at 65Watts its almost twice as heavy in that department. Games such as Total War and Mass Effect Andromeda... NFSU already made the r5 throttle so the watercooler ( 280mm artic freezer ) is already in place. It would be weird to see the i9 reach those temps though but who knows, for now i'm planning to keep the thing in place. I do have a be quiet all system cooler ( shadowrock ) as an extra and if it fits i might consider that as a more quiet solution.

The i9 will be used as a 'minor' upgrade so i can use my ddr4 ram and the m.2 drives... only need a new oem win pro and a motherboard ofc.. prob going for a asus prime and that should do the trick

edit: and maybe i use two cables to see if that will do any good ( both cables connected to the monitor
Post edited May 04, 2020 by Radiance1979
According to Intel themselves their new 10900K draws up to 250W NOT overclocked, add a lot more if overclocking. With a powerdraw like that, I am sure they have managed to make a bit of a gaming performance gap between AMD''s 3000 series and their 10,000 series. AMD's 4000 series should close at least most of that in the autumn when it arrives amnd maybe more but we will see. Maybe they will not.

The TDP number is supposed to help when choosing a cooler but as it is now it is most unhelpful.

The new Intel socket 1200 can take the same coolers that the previous socket could except most coolers will be uncapable of removing such amounts of heat.
Post edited May 04, 2020 by Themken
Radiance1979: a be quiet all system cooler ( shadowrock )
This one? https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1743

That model "only" cools up to 190W..... as you can see, you need a really big cooler for the really big processors.

Then there is the need to have a case that can remove heart fast enough. Forget quiet and go for large wind tunnel.
teceem: A suitable air cooler will be perfectly fine.
Let's hope it does... Those 10 cores at full load can pump serious heat on heavy/prolonged runs...
Dark_art_: Let's hope it does... Those 10 cores at full load can pump serious heat on heavy/prolonged runs...
I've edited my post, adding a graph and mentioning 2 'popular' air coolers that can take a lot of heat.
Themken: According to Intel themselves their new 10900K draws up to 250W NOT overclocked, add a lot more if overclocking.
Holy Santa Claus!!!!!

Probably on AVX workloads but 250W at stock is not what is considered "mainstream", that's Bulldozer's level.
To get the most of that chip, some VERY serious water cooling would be in order.
Dark_art_:
Same kind of desperation as AMD a while back, throw more watts at it and hang in there while trying to make a new good architecture.
Radiance1979: With my current r5 2600 at 65Watts its almost twice as heavy in that department. Games such as Total War and Mass Effect Andromeda... NFSU already made the r5 throttle
You maybe want to check your motherboard settings as the 2600 should not throttle. Unless you have some weird airflow/cooler problem.

Funny, Yesterday I found the time to finally play with the Ryzen 1600AF (wich is nothing more than a 2600) and found a very nice thing. I'll do a full post later with all the data but to get the point, the power limit includes the memory power as well, wich means if your motherboard limit the power, lowering the memory speed, actually increases performance. This should be meaningless to "gaming" desktops but probably very worthy to laptops...

Themken:
Lets hope it's not FX9590 all over again... A lot of motherboards were trashed by that aberration!
Post edited May 04, 2020 by Dark_art_
Dark_art_: the power limit includes the memory power as well, wich means if your motherboard limit the power, lowering the memory speed, actually increases performance.
I found out the same thing on my 3600X while overclocking the memory using the stock cooler on my CPU a day when it was warm in my room.
Radiance1979: With my current r5 2600 at 65Watts its almost twice as heavy in that department. Games such as Total War and Mass Effect Andromeda... NFSU already made the r5 throttle
Dark_art_: You maybe want to check your motherboard settings as the 2600 should not throttle. Unless you have some weird airflow/cooler problem.

Funny, Yesterday I found the time to finally play with the Ryzen 1600AF (wich is nothing more than a 2600) and found a very nice thing. I'll do a full post later with all the data but to get the point, the power limit includes the memory power as well, wich means if your motherboard limit the power, lowering the memory speed, actually increases performance. This should be meaningless to "gaming" desktops but probably very worthy to laptops...

Themken:
Dark_art_: Lets hope it's not FX9590 all over again... A lot of motherboards were trashed by that aberration!
The ryzen 5 starts throttling around 55 degrees, no decent aircooler can put that cpu to rest if the usage is around 50% ( as is with the games i mentioned )
Themken: According to Intel themselves their new 10900K draws up to 250W NOT overclocked, add a lot more if overclocking. With a powerdraw like that, I am sure they have managed to make a bit of a gaming performance gap between AMD''s 3000 series and their 10,000 series. AMD's 4000 series should close at least most of that in the autumn when it arrives amnd maybe more but we will see. Maybe they will not.

The TDP number is supposed to help when choosing a cooler but as it is now it is most unhelpful.

The new Intel socket 1200 can take the same coolers that the previous socket could except most coolers will be uncapable of removing such amounts of heat.
Are you sure about this? i belief TDP is about wattage too! 125W is both thermals and electricity used ..
i mean i hope, else i need a new psu too

hmmm

TDP

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

with the ryzen i'm most of the time around 40 to 50 watts of powerconsumption according to afterburners measurements

and the new cpu features also

Configurable TDP-down

Configurable TDP-down is a processor operating mode where the processor behavior and performance is modified by lowering TDP and the processor frequency to fixed points. The use of Configurable TDP-down is typically executed by the system manufacturer to optimize power and performance. Configurable TDP-down is the average power, in watts, that the processor dissipates when operating at the Configurable TDP-down frequency under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload.

at 95W tdp
Post edited May 04, 2020 by Radiance1979
aha found it

i belief this is an OC stance locking all cores on? ( with how the cpu would be set factory i mean )

The motherboard makers have stated that they have done a great job to update the power delivery of their new motherboards for the 10th Generation processors, but this shows why Intel has to put aside its 14nm node and move to either 10nm or 7nm desktop processors if they want to keep up with AMD. The 300+ Watts power consumption is for all cores loaded up at the maximum 4.9 GHz boost frequency.

The i9-10900K features 10 cores, 20 threads a total cache of 20 MB and a 125W TDP. The chip has a base frequency of 3.7 GHz and a boost frequency of 5.1 GHz. However, using Intel's Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology, the chip can boost up to 5.2 GHz on a single-core and what's even better is the 4.9 GHz all-core boost. Some of the features of this particular chip include:

Up to 4.8 GHz All-Core Turbo
Up to 5.3 / 4.9 GHz Thermal Velocity Boost Single / All-core Turbo
Up to 5.2 GHz Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0
Up to 10C and 20T
Up to DDR4-2933 MHz dual-channel
Enhanced Core & Memory Overclocking
Active Core Group Tuning