It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The literal next G CPUs are 4000G and should be released this year. But the next gen after that 'Cezanne'- 5000 series laptop/ G processors- will be Zen3, and the desktop Zen3s are AM4 so their APUs should be too. They are currently slated for 2021 release.

Shifting to AM5 probably depends most of all on whether DDR5 RAM is actually ready for mass production- and I'm not 100% sure they've even stopped fiddling with the official specs for it yet. I'm sure AMD would like to offer AM5/ 5000 series/ DDR5/ PCIe 5 (maybe) for marketing purposes, but if there isn't enough DDR5 available we may get one more gen on AM4 after 4000- or even a dual socket compatible release as AMD has done before with AM3/+. They might postpone a release for DDR5 to get ready as well, but probably don't really want releases to be dependent on 3rd parties more than they are.
teceem: "interesting" depends on what you're upgrading from. I have an i7 6700... so for me it's not interesting at all.
It definitely looks like good choice for a budget CPU if you still have a 2 core.
If you play mostly old games and just want a CPU to make your Windows experience better it might be a great choice. Older stuff, even just a few years old, tends to work better with higher single core speeds.
Themken: I suspect not as there are presumably coming new APUs for it next year but for powerful processors, yes.
Judicat0r: You mean the next "G" CPUs?
Yes, like the 3200G.

Phasmid went into more detail.
Post edited April 25, 2020 by Themken
If AMD would get ultra elite programmers that wear black cloaks with weird sigils all over them and only speak in code (and do a black sacrament or some such) maybe they would be viable their drivers ARE VIRUSES to your PC and AMD hardware are toasty little fireballs that need liquid nitrogen just to keep the damn things from burning a hole right through to the centre of the earth once they get the thermals right... Then it MIGHT be viable
fr33kSh0w2012: If AMD would get ultra elite programmers that wear black cloaks with weird sigils all over them and only speak in code (and do a black sacrament or some such) maybe they would be viable their drivers ARE VIRUSES to your PC and AMD hardware are toasty little fireballs that need liquid nitrogen just to keep the damn things from burning a hole right through to the centre of the earth once they get the thermals right... Then it MIGHT be viable
What?
Phasmid: The literal next G CPUs are 4000G and should be released this year. But the next gen after that 'Cezanne'- 5000 series laptop/ G processors- will be Zen3, and the desktop Zen3s are AM4 so their APUs should be too. They are currently slated for 2021 release.

Shifting to AM5 probably depends most of all on whether DDR5 RAM is actually ready for mass production- and I'm not 100% sure they've even stopped fiddling with the official specs for it yet. I'm sure AMD would like to offer AM5/ 5000 series/ DDR5/ PCIe 5 (maybe) for marketing purposes, but if there isn't enough DDR5 available we may get one more gen on AM4 after 4000- or even a dual socket compatible release as AMD has done before with AM3/+. They might postpone a release for DDR5 to get ready as well, but probably don't really want releases to be dependent on 3rd parties more than they are.
Judicat0r: You mean the next "G" CPUs?
Themken: Yes, like the 3200G.

Phasmid went into more detail.
Yeah, LOL, I know. :D

It's just that "APU" is a word coming from long, long ago (Fusion, I remember those times quite well, sadly) and since then Intel started to release CPUs equipped with GPUs and basically the word has become more specific.

AMD refer as APUs to Pro products, mobile chips and 7th gen APUs on socket AM4, clearly the definition still exists and stands, no doubt about that, but has become more of a specific term to define a set of products along the CPUs with integrated graphics.

Edit:
And yeah we agree on the release schedule but I'm more optimist on the AM4 "turnover".
Post edited April 25, 2020 by Judicat0r
fr33kSh0w2012:
This thread is about CPUs, not GPUs. The code is still not perfect for them but not such a catastrophe. If we would talk about graphics, that is a different thing and they certainly need more improvement.

Most new Ryzen processors run cool. Stay away from the old ones!
Post edited April 25, 2020 by Themken
fr33kSh0w2012:
Themken: This thread is about CPUs, not GPUs. The code is still not perfect for them but not such a catastrophe. If we would talk about graphics, that is a different thing and they certainly need more improvement.

Most new Ryzen processors run cool. Stay away from the old ones!
Well that's good most older AMD CPU's ran so damn hot!
A friend wants me to build him a new PC. What should I get for him? He will mostly just play Dota and Tekken, and maybe occasionally a fancy game.

I can get him a cheap V56 from my Vegaguy, but what kind of CPU should I get? Is Ryzen 3600 still a great choice, or is there something new right around the corner? I'm honestly kinda out of the loop. Haven't paid much attention to PC components since I built my rig in 2017.
Random_Coffee:
New Intel CPUs next month, expected to be just a little faster and power increase higher than than. See my post 645 about a problem if trying to build cheap but fast Ryzen. What to get depends a lot on availability and prices where you live. This site may help: https://www.prisjakt.no/
Random_Coffee: I can get him a cheap V56 from my Vegaguy, but what kind of CPU should I get? Is Ryzen 3600 still a great choice, or is there something new right around the corner? I'm honestly kinda out of the loop. Haven't paid much attention to PC components since I built my rig in 2017.
I would definitely go Ryzen. Either a 3600 or 3700 depending on the build budget. Anything higher likely a waste.
An Intel alternative: 9600KF from NetOnNet (Kr2290) + cooler capable of cooling at least most of the 180W that thing wants at its highest + a Z390 motherboard for it so you can overclock it. Ryzen 3600 draws half of that power overclocked but is not quite as fast. If you get nice RAM for an AMD pc. the difference is not too big and less heat in the room.
Post edited April 27, 2020 by Themken
I'll check out some benchmarks to see if the difference in price and extra heat is worth it. I'll talk to my friend later in the week when I have time to find out more about what his budget is. I would lean for the Ryzen if it was my own build, but I'm kind of a FOSS-nut, and I'll be objective when it's not my PC.

I built my sister a Ryzen 2600X + RX 470 rig last year, and she's very happy with it. AFAIK it runs games like the newest Call of Duty without problems. Though I'm still mad that she didn't cancel the order and get the 3600 I found for the same price just minutes after ordering.. :P
B550 motherboards expected in June. Next generation Ryzen desktop in September.
I would like to see a new powerfull APU, i have a love for integrated graphics.