It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hummer010: I finally got around trying out your generic wrapper script, and it works fantastic!!

First I wrapped up KOTOR from GOG without issue.

Second, I wrapped up Drakensang off of a DVD, and it also worked without issue!

So much nicer than running a system wide WINE, not to mention that they are self contained, and can be tar'ed up and backed up.

Thanks again, you rock!
QuerkyBren: Wheres that? I'd like to use it for Far Cry.
Here. It's at the end of the 3rd post in this thread.
QuerkyBren: <snip>
adamhm: It should work now, with the updated version :)
i'm still getting this error with swat 4
adamhm: It should work now, with the updated version :)
seikkailija: i'm still getting this error with swat 4
Even with the latest version of the wrapper? Could you post the output of "xrandr -q" please?
ok that fixed itself somehow today but i got another error
pastebin.com/dz5PmaAQ
Post edited January 01, 2019 by seikkailija
I tested the data you posted but the script worked as expected with that, so there's likely to be some other problem or you were previously using the old version of the wrapper.

As for the new issue, which distro, GPU and graphics drivers are you using?
I have a question regarding available WINE versions.

I know that WINE versions are up to 3.21 and 4 is being developed. I can see and use them via PlayOnLinux but I can't get them via the official repository. Here is how I tried to get it.
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/'
sudo apt update
sudo apt install winehq-stable
This gives me 3.0.4. Not even 3.1. Of course much better than the Mint's 1.6 in the Software Manager.

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 and doing the above installed those packages. Here is the result for dpkg --list
ii wine-stable 3.0.4~xenial amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Window
ii wine-stable-amd64 3.0.4~xenial amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Window
ii wine-stable-i386: 3.0.4~xenial i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Window
ii winehq-stable 3.0.4~xenial amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Window
So my question is, is it possible to get the latest stable version of wine via the repository?
Engerek01: So my question is, is it possible to get the latest stable version of wine via the repository?
3.0.4 is the latest stable version. anything after that (3.1, 3.2, 3.3, ... 3.21) is a development version, ie basically a biweekly snapshot.
to install the latest development version use winehq-devel instead of winehq-stable.
The next stable release will be 4.0 in a few days/weeks.
immi101: 3.0.4 is the latest stable version. anything after that (3.1, 3.2, 3.3, ... 3.21) is a development version, ie basically a biweekly snapshot.
to install the latest development version use winehq-devel instead of winehq-stable.
Damn. Didn't see that coming. Is it possible to install development versions alongside the stable version and use them simultaneously? I am sensing POL is the better way to do that.
immi101: 3.0.4 is the latest stable version. anything after that (3.1, 3.2, 3.3, ... 3.21) is a development version, ie basically a biweekly snapshot.
Engerek01: Damn. Didn't see that coming. Is it possible to install development versions alongside the stable version and use them simultaneously? I am sensing POL is the better way to do that.
hm, don't really know how these packages are set up, as I don't use them myself. I would suspect that it is not possible. But maybe some other Ubuntu/Mint user here can clarify?
On Debian you have two packages available: "wine" (stable version) and "wine-development" (development version). Both can be installed side by side, commands to use them are the same than the packages names.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the same for Ubuntu/Mint, but a confirmation would still be needed.
Post edited January 08, 2019 by vv221
I just tried sudo apt install winehq-devel and it tried to uninstall the stable version so I did not proceed with the installation.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
wine-stable wine-stable-amd64 wine-stable-i386:i386

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
ocl-icd-libopencl1:i386 wine-devel wine-devel-amd64 wine-devel-i386:i386
Suggested packages:
opencl-icd:i386
Recommended packages:
libcapi20-3 libodbc1 libsdl2-2.0-0 libgsm1:i386 libosmesa6:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386
The following packages will be REMOVED:
winehq-stable

The following NEW packages will be installed:
ocl-icd-libopencl1:i386 wine-devel wine-devel-amd64 wine-devel-i386:i386 winehq-devel
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 53,9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 439 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
Engerek01: I just tried sudo apt install winehq-devel and it tried to uninstall the stable version so I did not proceed with the installation.
wine-devel just installs it in /opt/wine-devel
winehq-devel provides global access to the above through symlinks in /usr/bin

ls -la /usr/bin/wine
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jan 4 22:21 /usr/bin/wine -> /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine

You can't have two versions of wine used in /usr/bin that's why installing winehq-devel will uninstall stable one. However wine-devel can easily coexist. If you want to have multiple Wines installed, just launch things manually settting needed environment variables.
Post edited January 08, 2019 by shmerl
shmerl: wine-devel just installs it in /opt/wine-devel
winehq-devel provides global access to the above through symlinks in /usr/bin

ls -la /usr/bin/wine
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jan 4 22:21 /usr/bin/wine -> /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine

You can't have two versions of wine used in /usr/bin that's why installing winehq-devel will uninstall stable one. However wine-devel can easily coexist. If you want to have multiple Wines installed, just launch things manually settting needed environment variables.
Thanks a lot. This gave me an idea. Can I create a winedev command and use it whenever I want to use the development version?

Here is my plan:
1. I am going to install wine-devel by "sudo apt install wine-devel". So it won't touch the stable version.
2. I am going to create a winedev inside /usr/bin/ that will lead to /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine enabling the global access. I will need help on that one.
3. Now I'll be able to type "wine example.exe" whenever I want to use the stable version and "winedev example.exe" whenever I want to use the development version.

Would that work? I am going to test this when I am back home. I am just asking for advice in advance.

BTW, I hope I am not sabotaging Adam's topic. Maybe I should open a separate topic.
Post edited January 09, 2019 by Engerek01
Engerek01: Here is my plan:
1. I am going to install wine-devel by "sudo apt install wine-devel". So it won't touch the stable version.
2. I am going to create a winedev inside /usr/bin/ that will lead to /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine enabling the global access. I will need help on that one.
3. Now I'll be able to type "wine example.exe" whenever I want to use the stable version and "winedev example.exe" whenever I want to use the development version.

Would that work? I am going to test this when I am back home. I am just asking for advice in advance.
Yes, it should work as expected ;)
In the winedev script you will need to export some environment variables, then call /opt/wine-devel/bin/wine on the script arguments. This will need testing, but I think it should be enough if you set the following variables:
WINESERVER
WINELOADER
WINEDLLPATH
(cf. `man wine` to see what values should be used)
Post edited January 09, 2019 by vv221
You can meanwhile take a look at these scripts which I made for the purpose of using multiple Wine versions and different prefixes:

wine_env.sh
wine_run.sh

I'll explain how to use them with examples a bit later. But they give the general idea.
Engerek01: Would that work? I am going to test this when I am back home. I am just asking for advice in advance.
See above.
Post edited January 09, 2019 by shmerl