It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mk47at: Are there more chunks of the same file? I would try to concatenate them in the order that they are mentioned in the iss file after decompress()ing each chunk individually…
That's it! I'm over-complicate things. Looks like next chunks go RIGHT AFTER the first in iss file. I'll try to concatenate them now.

In case you still want to look at iss file:
https://gist.github.com/yancharkin/73519bbba2489e8a92e852d0d20081f5
getthat: In case you still want to look at iss file:
https://gist.github.com/yancharkin/73519bbba2489e8a92e852d0d20081f5
Thank you.
Unpacker:
https://gist.github.com/yancharkin/8cd1d49b053cbd59927c75f8df3b86dc

Usage: python unpack_gog_installer.py "<INSTALLER.exe>"

It's using wine and innounp (because, for now, it's the easiest way to get 'install_script.iss'), but can be modified for using innoextract.

Script has some problems, but mostly works.

But there is another problem: looks like something wrong with some installers. For example, in new 'Arcanum' installer, size of main exe = 674K, and in old = 1.9M, and, of course, game fails to launch (even when properly installed).
Post edited April 02, 2018 by getthat
Something OT:

getthat:
FYI: It's usually recommended to use

with open(…) as f:

instead of

f = open(…)

f.close()

Obviously both ways are correct, but it's harder to introduce bugs if you use the 'with' statement. ;-)
mk47at: FYI: It's usually recommended to use

with open(…) as f:
I'll keep it in mind :)
getthat: <snip>
Nice :)

So it seems clear now what needs to be done to unpack the contents of these new installers: for smaller files simply decompress them to regenerate the original file, and for larger files each part needs to be decompressed first and then combined to form the complete file.

getthat: But there is another problem: looks like something wrong with some installers. For example, in new 'Arcanum' installer, size of main exe = 674K, and in old = 1.9M, and, of course, game fails to launch (even when properly installed).
It's probably a packaging mistake by GOG, since they've needlessly complicated these new installers (and made them slower & less efficient) by doing it this way. I hope they go back to the way the "old" new installers were set up.
adamhm: So it seems clear now what needs to be done to unpack the contents of these new installers: for smaller files simply decompress them to regenerate the original file, and for larger files each part needs to be decompressed first and then combined to form the complete file.
That's right.

adamhm: I hope they go back to the way the "old" new installers were set up.
I hope so too. But just in case, I'm going to improve my script a bit.
I hope that tomorrow Gog will tell us something about these new installers and then decide to revert the changes...
Post edited April 03, 2018 by phaolo
phaolo: I hope that tomorrow Gog will tell us something about these new installers and then decide to revert the changes...
I hope that too. If not, I'll probably stop making any new purchases here.
Ok, it seems that this is indeed an error and I heard that Gog is going to fix this in the next days.
Post edited April 03, 2018 by phaolo
Here is much improved version of the unpacker (just in case): https://github.com/yancharkin/gogiunpack
phaolo: Ok, it seems that this is indeed an error and I heard that Gog is going to fix this in the next days.
GOG promised the Classic Installer by Default Option 6 months ago...

I hope they do fix those slow and buggy installers this time.
kbnrylaec: GOG promised the Classic Installer by Default Option 6 months ago...
I hope they do fix those slow and buggy installers this time.
Well ok, but we all know Gog's Soon™ by now.
It's not great, but still better than the decision to keep the installer as they are.
getthat: Here is much improved version of the unpacker (just in case): https://github.com/yancharkin/gogiunpack
You already got your first bug report ;)

-----

And said bug report is already closed, well done!
Post edited April 03, 2018 by vv221
immi101: *shrug* in the end it is just a different archive format.
it probably makes things a lot easier for the GOG packager if they only have to package the games once instead of doing it twice.
adamhm: I'm not sure it would be easier; the way the old installers were setup was a bit messy and inconsistent and I can see why GOG would want to redo them all, but the "old new" installers (the ones just prior to this change) were a lot simpler & easier and made a lot more sense.

The new approach is more complicated & means there's a lot more that the installer needs to do (which in turn means there's more scope for things to go wrong)... the install script for the new installer is over twice the size of the install script for the old installer
the script may be more complicated, but they only have to write that once. Once it is working they have the added benefit that for every game update they only have to package the data once and then push out the same data set over galaxy and into the offline installer. sharing work load & aiming for consistent data between the two distribution channels seems like a sensible development goal.
(obviously without any detailed knowledge about their work flow it's hard to make a real judgement about this change)