Hi all I've been trying to get keerfx for years now but I All ways keep getting the same thing when I give file location for install it says I'm missing all kinds of files ie data/whitepal.col
You could have asked on the keeperklan discord, we would have helped you out. I figure you already tried the basic installation steps?
1) Install GOG DK
2) Extract KeeperFX to a different folder
3) Run Launcher.exe from the keeperfx directory and press 'Install'
4) Point the launcher to where you installed GOG DK, so it copies the missing files over
-> Press play to play
If at step 4 you are getting told it can't find the files, there must be some weird rights issues going on for you. But if your computer does not allow the launcher to install the game for you, you can still do it by hand. Simply go into your gog folder, find the files the launcher is looking for, and copy them to the exact same place in your keeperfx directory.
The files it copies are listed here: https://github.com/dkfans/keeperfx/wiki/Launcher-Application
The Settings popout under fullscreen / Windowed / Mixed suggests that in Windowed Mode, mouse settings may need editing to prevent the window swallowing the cursor and being 'unable to release it':
1) 'where' am I supposed to edit the mouse-settings, and 'what edit'?
2) the GOG version of DK Gold is a DosBox implimentation, from which a keystroke comnbination is supposed to release a cursor. But this does not work for the KeeperFX version, seemingly. Is their a 'release' combo, as otherwise I have to quit the game - not ideal.
3) The 'modern' resolutions offered are great, but I wonder if there is an option to 'increase the overall viisble area' on-screen at once, in-game? This would reduce the total amount of manic scrolling/clicking in and out of the map/zooming required. I guess this could be seen as a 'bit of a cheat', but as a quality of life improvement, I am suprrised if it's not been added 'somewhere'.
Late response but:
1) in your keeperfx directory you can edit keeperfx.cfg with a text editor to change settings. You can also use launcher.exe for many of them.
2) in keeperfx.cfg you will find mouse release settings. Using 'altinput' command line (or from run options in the launcher) will always have your mouse released. Altinput used to suck, but with the new versions it just works.
3) Zooming out more was always an obvious feature, but we were limited by what could be rendered. We still were shackled by the original game. In KeeperFX 0.5.0 you can zoom out more. In any future versions after that there will be no limitations of the original game at all.