It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

xgribbelfix: They didn't?
Dryspace: I know that there were no plans for a boxed release in the U.S. (a box with a code inside), but that there were for certain other markets. The "full-featured" box was announced some time after the original release date was announced.
IIRC that was only for the Collector's Edition. The standard Edition was always planned for physical release in America.

Macos10: £50 to pre order a digital game that is not due until mid September, this type of pre ordering should not be allowed, totally and utterly unethical.
But you don't have to preorder. They only give the possibility to preorder. They are no downsides on ordering now or on release as there are no bonuses for preordering.

You have money right now and want to show support, go ahead.

You want to wait until there are more news on the game, specs, etc. go ahead.

They understand that not everybody wants to preorder.

"Also, since pre-orders are live, you might be wondering if there’s any point in placing an order now. Yes, if you want to give us some extra support. Pre-orders help us build anticipation — the more copies you pre-order, the more likely it is for us to get retail (both digital and physical) behind the game. Therefore, if you like what you see, we will appreciate you "voting yes" for CP2077 with a pre-order. If you are still hesitating though, we would rather you wait for more materials or reviews. Our goal is for you to truly enjoy CP2077 and not regret a pre-order." Source: "Secret" Dropbox
Post edited April 18, 2020 by xgribbelfix
Don't be a tool! Never preorder!
I never pre-order games digitally.
I only pre-order console games where I get a disc and use it as layaway, so that way if I decide I don't want the game can cancel my preorder with no issue.
People in this thread have no idea what "unethical" means. If you can't trust CDPR and their pro-consumer attitude who can you trust? I preordered because I trust them and they have shown lots of gameplay letting you know exactly what you are buying.

And even if CDPR pulls a Blizzard and straight up lies about their game like Warcraft 3 Remastered then you can:

Refund on Steam in under 2 weeks and under 2 hours playtime. If you go over that and have a good reason (like missing advertised features) you can still get a refund via Steam support.

Gog.com will let you refund in under 30 days no questions asked, which as I'm sure everyone here knows is also owned by CDPR

With CDPR's previous track record and the above safety nets to refund, I feel perfectly safe preordering this and showing my support to CDPR.
Pre-ordering lets me spend the money when I have it and guarantees that I will get the game when it's released. It's stupid not to take advantage of that. It's called being a fiscally responsible person :)

If you don't care about the game enough to play it in exactly 135 days from today, then pre-ordering is not from you and ethicality doesn't factor in.
Post edited May 06, 2020 by Starkrun
Starkrun: Pre-ordering lets me spend the money when I have it and guarantees that I will get the game when it's released. It's stupid not to take advantage of that. It's called being a fiscally responsible person :)

If you don't care about the game enough to play it in exactly 135 days from today, then pre-ordering is not from you and ethicality doesn't factor in.
If you pre-order because you have to spend money when you have it, you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, which is very far from the behavior of a fiscally responsible person.

Also, the more I care about a game, the less I would want to play it on the day of release. Ethics aside, I would call that "not being impatient and masochistic".
Dryspace: If you pre-order because you have to spend money when you have it, you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, which is very far from the behavior of a fiscally responsible person.

Also, the more I care about a game, the less I would want to play it on the day of release. Ethics aside, I would call that "not being impatient and masochistic".
When a person budgets money for something they want thats smart... If you can lose $60 or even $1000 now for something you want/need in the future then that is wise. Spend the cash now, gives you what you want in the future when you may not have the means too.

Say I have loads of money, I would still buy early when the money is available instead of waiting and trying to budget out $60 on the fly. Maybe I need new tires in 133 days and that $60 let me buy the fancy gas inside instead of the air... Maybe I have a swanky date and I can go to a better restaurant in 133 days because I have that $60 or.... Maybe I can spend it on hookers and blow!

What matters is had the means available and I spent it when I had no use for the $60 ;) That's being financially, and fiscally responsible spending on a budget! You cannot generate a scenario where this does not make sense.

TL;DR if you can stand to blow $60 and have no use for it then buy something now to generate happiness later... there is no negative
Post edited May 07, 2020 by Starkrun
Starkrun: ...
I admit I hadn't considered the hookers and blow. I stand corrected.
I, 90% of the time, pre-order, but was in two minds to do so for CP2077, the main reason for that is the pricing is steep, I'm a collector of sorts and wanted the Collectors edition of CP2077, but the price is way out there.

Sites like Ubisoft when selling their collectors editions usually charge £120 to £150 , i mean AC Odyssey was £115 for a decent size statue same for AC Origins which was £95 and the list goes on [for all the AC games] Origin prices are roughly the same.
I can't really get over how CDP can charge £250 for their collectors edition as that is nearly double of what prices are with other AAA collectors editions! if you throw another £100 in the pot you you would be on your way to being able to purchase the new XBox or Playstation concoles that are due out, and you will get a couple of free games with them.

If CDP are going to dip into collectors editions then i think the need to look at pricing, I'm lucky in that my pre-order does not take any money until 7 days prior to release and i can afford to put £50 a month away to cover the cost, it also allows me plenty of time to change my mind before release day and cancel my order.

As for pre-ordering be ethical, destroying a village just because it is there, murdering people just because the "MAY" have a deadly disease, testing on animals just so you can wear makeup or deodorant those are ethical dilemmas, pre-ordering a game is a choice of the individual and has no discerning impact on anyone else, the world will stay go round [unless you are a flat earther, it will just sit there]
[deleted]
Post edited February 12, 2023 by lace_gardenia
Alienminator: As for pre-ordering be ethical
For the record, I don't believe anybody said it was unethical for a person to pre-order. Someone claimed that it was unethical for a company to offer pre-orders.

"...pre-ordering a game is a choice of the individual and has no discerning impact on anyone else..."

Did you really believe that your actions don't have an effect on other people? I can assure you that the things you spend your money on, and how much you spend, absolutely affects me and everyone else, just as my spending behavior does as well.

For example, a company can try to get away with whatever it wants--whether it is able to get away with it depends on how many people support it with their money. Those who didn't support it are very much affected.