It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

lace_gardenia: In the case of CP2077, just what IS the benefit of preordering supposed to be? Does one get some sort of extra? I can't find anything on the store page.

Does it let you pre-load the game before the release date or something?
The only preorder bonus you got (can't get anymore) was a discount for their merch store. The advantage of buying on GOG is DRM free and 100% of the money goes to CDPR since CDP own GOG and CDPR.

Right now preordering will not get you anything, but it will support CDPR. They have a whole statement about this in their "secret" dropbox, which was released shortly after the release date.

"Also, since pre-orders are live, you might be wondering if there’s any point in placing an order now. Yes, if you want to give us some extra support. Pre-orders help us build anticipation — the more copies you pre-order, the more likely it is for us to get retail (both digital and physical) behind the game. Therefore, if you like what you see, we will appreciate you "voting yes" for CP2077 with a pre-order. If you are still hesitating though, we would rather you wait for more materials or reviews. Our goal is for you to truly enjoy CP2077 and not regret a pre-order."
Post edited November 27, 2019 by xgribbelfix
low rated
[deleted]
Post edited February 12, 2023 by lace_gardenia
RonFreakingSwanson: I think pre-orders with all sorts of strings attached are dodgy. Paying up 25%, 50% more for a game for extra stuff long before you see what it is, how it plays, if it is even worth base price. Or "early access."

Same game, same price as CDPR is doing with CP2077 is nothing wrong. There is zero pressure to spend extra money up front when the game being offered is exactly the same as the one you buy a month after release.

Don't want to pre-order, don't. You won't lose anything by waiting for it to be released.
sodayi: On the one hand i would really, really like to support the developers on this particular game by preordering it via gog. But with a price of 59,99€ I feel like being ripped off.
I never spent this much on a pc game before, knowing that it usually will be available for ~40€ like 1 or two days after release. In preorder, people clearly should be paying less but instead they are paying more.
SUpporting developers is a good thing, but if i want to spend extra money just out of charity, i'd still rather give it to amnesty int. or other stuff.
... play Playstation or xbox you pay there 69,99 for games :D

for me 59.99 is ok, why everyone is schocked about that price 0.o.
but what is the price you want for a game that is not released ? 20 maybe 30 ?

the other side is yes i saw code vein on the pc for 49.99 and on the ps4 for 69.99 but i got the game on the ps4.
this 20 bucks wount kill you for a good game.

if the price is too high for you then wait any months untill Cyberunk 2077 is on sale anywhere, and we can say Thank you if the game cost only 59.99 because the most games are ripped off and the full game content you get only with DLC's and have to pay over 100 to 200 $/€ to play the game how it has to be.

i stoped Pre Ordering anything anymore, because it is not right to pay for something that is not released.

Kick Starter is another story because you spend money to someone who want to create something, but Cyberpunk 2077 is already mostly done and they had a plan and the money to create it.

All they need is to sell the game to get the money back and maybe to make profit but i think in the first week they will do + already when they release cyberpunk 2077.

RonFreakingSwanson: I think pre-orders with all sorts of strings attached are dodgy. Paying up 25%, 50% more for a game for extra stuff long before you see what it is, how it plays, if it is even worth base price. Or "early access."

Same game, same price as CDPR is doing with CP2077 is nothing wrong. There is zero pressure to spend extra money up front when the game being offered is exactly the same as the one you buy a month after release.

Don't want to pre-order, don't. You won't lose anything by waiting for it to be released.
ReevJax: I don't usualty pre-order because I don't trust the game publishers but this is from the guys who made the Witcher 3 , I mean come on.
The same i was thinking about Bethesda that they are a good company and community friendly ... yea then came my Fallout 76 pre-order, the biggest shit i ever saw the last years.
Greedy Devs do this "you can play the beta but just when you preordered the game" sure you play longer then 2 or 4 hours to test the game ... and then you cant give it back anymore because you palyed it over 2 hours this is how bethesda did it to me.
Post edited December 17, 2019 by mastermind2k
sodayi: On the one hand i would really, really like to support the developers on this particular game by preordering it via gog. But with a price of 59,99€ I feel like being ripped off.
I bought the Witcher 3 with the expansion pass with like a 50% discount on Steam(before Game of the Year Edition came out) and after completing it I felt like it's worth more than I've paid for it. So I bought the ultimate RED Collection here back in june.
Then don't pre-order? I mean it is simple. Act on your beliefs, but don't expect others to think like you do. Use your money how you see fit, and let others use their money how they see fit.

I trust CDPR and I love all of their games, and I like what I have seen thus far for Cyberpunk, so I pre-ordered. I didn't even pre-order for the extras (could care less about them), I pre-ordered because I love CDPR's games (and pro-customer stance) and I had the money then and wasn't sure I'd have it later.
ZaBici: Ok mudflaps. Every reaction is caused by an action. The reaction is pre-order, what do you think the action was? Money. They want money sooner.

You can find all sorts of reasons for why they want money sooner, I don't fucking care. The moment when money governs your reasoning, you already lost. A good game is never, NEVER made out of love for money. Unless it's a game about money.

So pre-order simply means the gate to greed is opened. Simple as that.
Au contraire, the moment money does NOT govern the behaviour of a company, that company already lost and is little more than a zombie that has yet to realize its death. Making money is the underlying and fundamental goal and necessity of producing video games at anything even approaching industry standard, let alone AAA-grade titles.

Too much greed can be detrimental, but to lose sight of the fact that a video game developer is not a charity is just outright self-defeating. Developing good games costs money, and that means they have to make money or they will not be developed.
mo_zing: Sorry CDPR, as good of a gaming dev you are you shouldn't be offering pre orders for something without a discount.
Literally makes no sense to pre order a digital game, unless it's discounted.
Wasn't there a 40% discount when the news broke that CDPR would work on Cyberpunk? And wasn't there also one during one of the recent sales?

There is nothing wrong or unethical about pre-orders. It is the way companies handle their pre-order business and the schemes they employ. Mankind Divided with its tiered system is a case in point. Square had to put a stop on it, while others still use it to nurture their pre-order signups.

In actuality there is no need to pre-order digital games! Without risk of a game being sold-out or out of stock for a long time, there is no need to to pay a small amount or full price to reserve a copy. Showing support to a company offering some (exclusive) digital good or DLC as bonus isn't a very good reason either. Supporting the development of a game doesn't count as there is kickstarter and other crowd-funding platforms as well as Early Access.

You may disagree with the following but CD-Project is no fan-project, small one or two or five person developer, nor is GoG. They are big-business and we are their customers is the extent of the relation. As individual one best supports their effort buying the product once it is out and bugs ironed out as best as possible.

That said if a pre-order option exists, a better approach could be to ask for a genereal 20% payment, put a 'no cancellation policy' in place taking effect one week before release, and an option to select the version one wishes to obtain in case there is more than one. If an order is cancelled a refund should automatically be granted and the amount credited to the customers' wallet or wired to their bank/pay-pal ... account.

They could also offer more than one option: A 20% discount, a 20% payment, paying the full price to receive some exclusive bonus DLC, item, you name it, pay minAmountX or maxAmountY ...

For a prospective customer this would be a win-win situation. It makes it an easy decision paying 20% of 59.99 (~12.00) than the full price, and as there is no risk of losing any money or not receiving anything at all because development has been cancelled or the game turns out to be no-good or not what it was promised to be. For the publisher it is also a win-win as it means a boost of pre-order sales. When a pre order is cancelled, the money will still land in their pockets, even though not the full sum in case of a 20% pre-order payment option.

In the end it is up to you or anyone whether it is worth taking the risk or not. If you don't neither you, GoG, or CD-Project will lose anything.
Does anyone have any idea if there might be any risk associated with waiting to purchase the PC box (I don't say 'physical copy' :P)? I don't pre-order games, but this is obviously not the normal situation, as it involves a tangible product just like pre-orders did originally.

I own the physical copies of TW:EE, TW2, and TW3--all purchased post-release--and since this edition includes at least a couple of seemingly interesting things I would like to have it on my shelf. I never pay full price for a game that doesn't yet exist, though--even from CDPR.

I suppose I'll just have to hope that it is still available post-release, and/or hasn't been altered/downsized in any way.
Dryspace: Does anyone have any idea if there might be any risk associated with waiting to purchase the PC box (I don't say 'physical copy' :P)? I don't pre-order games, but this is obviously not the normal situation, as it involves a tangible product just like pre-orders did originally.

I own the physical copies of TW:EE, TW2, and TW3--all purchased post-release--and since this edition includes at least a couple of seemingly interesting things I would like to have it on my shelf. I never pay full price for a game that doesn't yet exist, though--even from CDPR.

I suppose I'll just have to hope that it is still available post-release, and/or hasn't been altered/downsized in any way.
Buying the phyisical edition now or after release doesn't matter. There are no preorder bonuses for this game. The attached pic shows what you get with the standard physical edition.
Attachments:
Post edited February 27, 2020 by xgribbelfix
In general, yes. Like AC Odyssey preorder was a total ripoff. You got a bad quest as a "preorder gift" that sends you to see a few places. All of which I had already visited before even starting the quest, so my "preorder gift" was to talk to a guy for a minute. Never again a Ubisoft preorder.

However, CDPR didn't really promise much. You got some discount vouchers for merch store and Displate. That's it. They put it there for fans to show support. Nothing more. And the way CDP conducts its business, I am happy to show support.

And I don't think $60 is too much, given that most AAA games nowadays start with $60 (standard), and $80-$90 (deluxe). And Ubisoft has also $110 (ultimate) versions. This game is $60, that's it. Probably DLC's are going to be more in the future. If you buy the game from a respectable source, the game will remain at $60 for at least a year. (Except Ubi games, which will be $35 for the ultimate version in one year and in Humble Bundle in two.)

Of course you can go to g2a or CDKeys or Kinguin, but especially in the beginning and especially if they are significantly cheaper, you can be pretty sure you are buying a game paid with a stolen credit card. At that point you might as well pirate the game since you obviously don't care about the company that provides you with the entertainment. I don't really get the attitude of "I want a great game, but I don't want to give money to the company -- developers don't need to eat or pay bills" in the first place, but ok.

So anyway, yes, in general the way preorders have been made in the past is a bit iffy, but at least CDPR is doing it the honest way. "We don't promise you much extra. You'll just show your support." I like honesty.
xgribbelfix: Buying the phyisical edition now or after release doesn't matter. There are no preorder bonuses for this game. The attached pic shows what you get with the standard physical edition.
Sorry for the delay--I just noticed your reply. How do you know it doesn't matter? That's the point of my question.

I'm not talking about "pre-order bonuses". I haven't pre-ordered a game since I built my first gaming PC in 2008 (Far Cry 2 if anyone's interested--sold it a week later on eBay).

But as we're talking about actual physical stuff in this case, there will come a time when CDPR will no longer be manufacturing and distributing. I was able to purchase a boxed copy of TW2 eight months after release, and TW3 nine months after release, but given that the kind of stuff-filled box CDPR is releasing is unheard of these days, along with the fact that they originally weren't releasing one at all, for all I know there could be a definite production run, with availability ending when the last is sold--whether that is pre- or post-release.

I haven't gotten an answer from GOG, and was just wondering if anyone had any opinions or knowledge on this matter.
Dryspace: Sorry for the delay--I just noticed your reply. How do you know it doesn't matter? That's the point of my question.

I'm not talking about "pre-order bonuses". I haven't pre-ordered a game since I built my first gaming PC in 2008 (Far Cry 2 if anyone's interested--sold it a week later on eBay).

But as we're talking about actual physical stuff in this case, there will come a time when CDPR will no longer be manufacturing and distributing. I was able to purchase a boxed copy of TW2 eight months after release, and TW3 nine months after release, but given that the kind of stuff-filled box CDPR is releasing is unheard of these days, along with the fact that they originally weren't releasing one at all, for all I know there could be a definite production run, with availability ending when the last is sold--whether that is pre- or post-release.
Of course that might happen. I wasn't sure about your time frame after release, since you said preorder in the original post i thought you meant maybe just few weeks/months.

In that case nobody knows except for CDPR i'd guess.
along with the fact that they originally weren't releasing one at all
They didn't?
xgribbelfix: They didn't?
I know that there were no plans for a boxed release in the U.S. (a box with a code inside), but that there were for certain other markets. The "full-featured" box was announced some time after the original release date was announced.

Do you feel that it would be a risky gamble to plan until after release to purchase the box? Given the nature of the situation, I suppose I could give CDPR the benefit of the doubt without being a complete hypocrite, lol.
Post edited April 03, 2020 by Dryspace
Everyone is free to pre-order.

My experience told me that, in the best of cases, pre-order is not a good investiment.
It simply allow you to enjoy the bugs and shortcomings sooner.

Even if the game is a smash it... you will get a GOTY edition, will all expansions, additional fixes for 1/3 the price.
£50 to pre order a digital game that is not due until mid September, this type of pre ordering should not be allowed, totally and utterly unethical.
Post edited April 18, 2020 by Macos10