It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Yeti575: It's absolutely beyond my comprehension why I would care that the devs, and owners, get to keep 100% of my *money.

Borderline makes me want to hard pass on GOG.

*assuming I spend it
You don't care that you can get the game directly from the ones making it, instead of having a middle man keeping a portion of the price you pay, and what is more, they telling you that makes you want not to buy it from them... And you tell this as if it was a completely rational thought that anyone should understand? No. Please elaborate.
Post edited June 10, 2019 by Links
Crawdaddy79: I wish they would take that banner off their ad within GoG. It's like they're asking for charity.
Yeti575: I honestly just spent 3 minutes of my life searching for a thread about this.

It's absolutely beyond my comprehension why I would care that the devs, and owners, get to keep 100% of my *money.

*assuming I spend it
You'd be spending the same amount of money either way, but if you buy it on GOG then more money goes back to the developers which will help fund their next game. If you like their games, then it's good if they get more of the money to work on the next one :)
Crawdaddy79: I wish they would take that banner off their ad within GoG. It's like they're asking for charity.
Yeti575: I honestly just spent 3 minutes of my life searching for a thread about this.

It's absolutely beyond my comprehension why I would care that the devs, and owners, get to keep 100% of my *money.

*assuming I spend it
Nah, they are leveraging the fact that people love them because of their continuous pro-consumer stance and actions since 1994. Good reputation goes a long way. That is something most, at least big publishers do not have nowadays and are in general hated by everyone. CD Project is not and it is fine by me that they leverage it in marketing. In business you play with your strengths.
smrtgi19: Now this is a licensed game, same as the witcher series, but you aren't paying license fees to whomever owns cyberpunk?
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but don't you understand that CDPR technically owns cyberpunk2077 as the game? Or am I very very very confused. They made the witcher right? or is this all comic book based...? uhhh..
Swedrami: Can't spell it out often enough.
The time between clicking the referral and arriving on GoG might be long enough for most people to forget about the "100% of the profit goes to CDPR when ordering through GoG"-thing if they weren't greeted by the same "100% of the profit goes to CDPR when ordering through GoG"-thing on GoG again.
It's definitely good to remind people. Although I can't understand why anyone would ever buy a game other than on Gog. It just confuses me to no end.
"Hey person, you want more limitations and less freedom and a bunch of random red tape and restrictions for no reason and probably pay a little more and get mistreated? LOl just buy it somewhere else" "No way I'm buying it on GOG because then I will not have any of that bad stuff!"
Post edited June 10, 2019 by fridgeband

*assuming I spend it
I guess some people don't get it...? No problem, I will explain. Basically, people don't contextualize their entire video game experience itself from just the video game content they are playing. People count the experience of their experience using the Store or Shopping Platform in with their game. This is very similar to how people count their experience in shopping at a grocery store as part of their experience with the food they purchased there. What happens is that people like shopping in a nice store full of nice people that are kind and patient and helpful, and ALSO has good products at fair prices. Then, after paying they go home and enjoy the food, which hopefully also tastes good after all that, metaphorically connected to finally sitting down and playing the actual in game content of the video game, which is also then judged by gameplay, story, graphics Very very similarly to how food is judged by texture, taste, smell, appearance, and so on.

People care about where their money goes because they care about who they support. Who is not as important as "WHAT" and what, is what they do. Your actions speak louder than most of the other things. So people have a choice between video game shopping platforms and grocery stores that have almost all the same products, but the shopping experience is drastically different. In one place you get treated like garbage and nobody cares and all the money goes to greedy people, but if I may make a loosely weird, but kind of funny and applicable metaphor, GOG is like the wholefoods, or friendly neighborhood locally grown market of the video game world. So people want to support them with their money in exchange for a better overall experience and better treatment as a customer.

People who understand this whole thing, (from what I have observed) basically they don't want to support other types of things being offered (out there) because they don't just feel that it's not as good of an experience, but they genuinely feel that they have been terribly wronged by many other platforms and publishers and developers. (Which is quite honestly true, just look at EA's history)

So to conclude, there is a strong sense of community and trust with people and GOG/CDPR because their main point is not just to be different, but to be different in a good way... And for that I have great respect.
Post edited June 10, 2019 by fridgeband
fridgeband: Forgive me if I'm mistaken but don't you understand that CDPR technically owns cyberpunk2077 as the game? Or am I very very very confused. They made the witcher right? or is this all comic book based...? uhhh..
Yes, you are confused.

As I already said 3 posts up:

The OP knows GOG is owned by CDPR. The licencing is for the setting, Cyberpunk 2020, like the person in post number 7 and the OP themselves in post 6 says.
fridgeband: I guess some people don't get it...? No problem, I will explain. Basically, people don't contextualize their entire video game experience itself from just the video game content they are playing.
It seems more a dig at Steam imo.

Regardless, are we then to assume that Keanu did his little appearance out of the kindness of his heart - and not for a nice stack of bitcoin ? If it was for a shiny stack of bitcoin, where'd that magically appear from ?

Not a trick question, it came out of that stack of 100% of the funds going to CDPr. Good use of pre-purchase funds ? Well, that's an entirely different question
VoltyBolty: Not really, with all the epic games launcher and steam bullshit going on about devs getting like only half the cut and shit like that, it makes sense to put that in. Plus, if you consider that they get 100% on GoG and and i have no idea how much on steam and epic games, but surely not 100% it's a smart thing to say since more revenue for them. That's only my take on it tho....
I bought The Witcher 3 at release from GoG for the very reason they advertise. I want to support these guys and am in love with their business model for GoG. I might even buy it again on Steam just because it's on sale there every other month.

At the same time, I really don't like it shoveled in my face that more money goes to the devs if I buy Cyberpunk from GoG. I don't like such obvious attempts at manipulation. I like Steam's ecosystem, and there is a social cost to me when I choose to buy a game elsewhere.

If their banner improves their revenue, then I have no ground to stand on because I want CD Projekt to succeed. They got where they are today by kicking everyone else's ass at making comprehensive gaming experiences and that needs to be rewarded. For me, it does have a negative connotation due to the manipulation aspect, but I don't think it's negative enough to keep me from buying directly from GoG.
Crawdaddy79: (...)
In the very loose sense in which you use the word manipulation, all advertisement is "manipulation".

Wouldn't you like it better then if all "manipulation" was "obvious" as you call it?
fridgeband: I guess some people don't get it...? No problem, I will explain. Basically, people don't contextualize their entire video game experience itself from just the video game content they are playing.
Yeti575: It seems more a dig at Steam imo.

Regardless, are we then to assume that Keanu did his little appearance out of the kindness of his heart - and not for a nice stack of bitcoin ? If it was for a shiny stack of bitcoin, where'd that magically appear from ?

Not a trick question, it came out of that stack of 100% of the funds going to CDPr. Good use of pre-purchase funds ? Well, that's an entirely different question
Gog/CDpr spend money on advertising like anyone else right? They're just extra smart because instead of spending millions on spamming ads everywhere, they said "hey you know what will be more effective?" Keanu Reeves, Boom! Quick maths. Very smart move on their part.
VoltyBolty: Not really, with all the epic games launcher and steam bullshit going on about devs getting like only half the cut and shit like that, it makes sense to put that in. Plus, if you consider that they get 100% on GoG and and i have no idea how much on steam and epic games, but surely not 100% it's a smart thing to say since more revenue for them. That's only my take on it tho....
Crawdaddy79: I bought The Witcher 3 at release from GoG for the very reason they advertise. I want to support these guys and am in love with their business model for GoG. I might even buy it again on Steam just because it's on sale there every other month.

At the same time, I really don't like it shoveled in my face that more money goes to the devs if I buy Cyberpunk from GoG. I don't like such obvious attempts at manipulation. I like Steam's ecosystem, and there is a social cost to me when I choose to buy a game elsewhere.

If their banner improves their revenue, then I have no ground to stand on because I want CD Projekt to succeed. They got where they are today by kicking everyone else's ass at making comprehensive gaming experiences and that needs to be rewarded. For me, it does have a negative connotation due to the manipulation aspect, but I don't think it's negative enough to keep me from buying directly from GoG.
I really don't understand how that's manipulation. Can you help me understand why and how you think that? From my perspective Gog is just saying, "hey to everyone who cares, we're just letting you know but if you buy it here, etc." Just seems honest really. EA would never be nice enough to do that.
Post edited June 13, 2019 by fridgeband
Links: In the very loose sense in which you use the word manipulation, all advertisement is "manipulation".

Wouldn't you like it better then if all "manipulation" was "obvious" as you call it?
Clearly I didn't mean it in the loosest sense. I meant it in the sense that they are implying that I should be tagged with guilt should I choose to buy the game elsewhere.
Links: In the very loose sense in which you use the word manipulation, all advertisement is "manipulation".

Crawdaddy79: Clearly I didn't mean it in the loosest sense. I meant it in the sense that they are implying that I should be tagged with guilt should I choose to buy the game elsewhere.
No way, of course they don't mean that silly, They just know that lots of people (like me) care a lot about that detail and are being honest to let us know so that we can be happy about that. They don't mean anything bad in any other way. I can't speak for them since I am not them, but I'm so sure they mean well that I would almost be willing to say I'm 100% sure they mean well, and not what you're thinking. Just relax, make some tea and do some meditation. Gog = good people. It's all fine. breeeaaathh....
fridgeband: No way, of course they don't mean that silly, They just know that lots of people (like me) care a lot about that detail and are being honest to let us know so that we can be happy about that. They don't mean anything bad in any other way. I can't speak for them since I am not them, but I'm so sure they mean well that I would almost be willing to say I'm 100% sure they mean well, and not what you're thinking. Just relax, make some tea and do some meditation. Gog = good people. It's all fine. breeeaaathh....
I appreciate your perspective but it cannot change my own. I know they put the text on their ad with the intent of generating more revenue. This is the nature of advertisement for any business. The only way it generates more revenue is by dissuading people from purchasing elsewhere. It goes against what I thought I understood of GoG's business practice.
fridgeband: No way, of course they don't mean that silly, They just know that lots of people (like me) care a lot about that detail and are being honest to let us know so that we can be happy about that. They don't mean anything bad in any other way. I can't speak for them since I am not them, but I'm so sure they mean well that I would almost be willing to say I'm 100% sure they mean well, and not what you're thinking. Just relax, make some tea and do some meditation. Gog = good people. It's all fine. breeeaaathh....
Crawdaddy79: I appreciate your perspective but it cannot change my own. I know they put the text on their ad with the intent of generating more revenue. This is the nature of advertisement for any business. The only way it generates more revenue is by dissuading people from purchasing elsewhere. It goes against what I thought I understood of GoG's business practice.
You thought GOG's business practices WASN'T to encourage people to buy games from GOG? Your understanding of how businesses work and survive is very different from mine.
Mailanka: You thought GOG's business practices WASN'T to encourage people to buy games from GOG? Your understanding of how businesses work and survive is very different from mine.
Yep, I was going to write to fridgeband again, but what you said is about it. They are either stubbornly defending a ridiculous position, or their reasoning is completely divorced from reality.