It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Yunipuma: Madam, really - YOU NEED A DOCTOR.
Call me hater or whatever, but that phrase of yours gets me really worried - what if people like you get the political power?
devoras: I just took that phrase to be an example of what a social/ gender norm is, not a claim that men should wear makeup, or that women should have short hair.
Yeah, that is what I meant - examples of gender norms.

Some examples of gender norms that have changed over time:
- wigs during the baroque period - used by everyone
- high heels on men (http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/06/high-heels-were-popular-among-men-before-women/)
- the color pink being considered a "female" color (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink#Gender)
Post edited January 12, 2020 by lace_gardenia
devoras: Honestly that's still playing into their silly games. There's no need to further clarify sex with chromosomes and such, best to ignore them, subtly mock and make fun of the ridiculous ideas if they make too much noise to comfortably ignore, and leave it alone. The normal scientific definition of male or female is all we need.
But the scientific definition of male and female is that made on the basis of genetics, and has been ever since we first started to understand genetics. It is a more fundamental definition than the traditional one of looking at external attributes, and it is also much less ambiguous.

devoras: I just want the silliness to be optional in games so I don't have to deal with it. If someone wants there to be an option to pretend that gender is a social construct in a game that's fine, whatever makes them happy, as long as it's an option I have the option to ignore.

I say keep it simple in games, male or female selection, then on top of that add an option for people to choose a different gender than their sex if they want. We don't need to have all this controversy, it's an easy fix. Everyone can be free to enjoy entertainment as they like.
I understand your flexible conflict adverseness, but the problem with this way of doing things is that it helps to normalize the idea that there are more than two sexes, and that you can change your sex, and that you feel uncomfortable in your body that magically allows your spirit to identify as another sex.
That is the thin end of the wedge. We know these wackos and we know how they operate, give them a finger and they take an arm, give them any space whatsoever and they'll wedge their foot inside the door. Voluntarily giving them space to pretend their ideas hold any merit, is the beginning of the end. It is pandering in its purest form.

lace_gardenia: Ok, let me attempt to clarify something here: in the discussion context you are talking about, "sex" and "gender" imply different things. Yes, the words are very much synonymous in everyday discussion, but here they are more specific. The word choice is unfortunate, but that's English for you.

Like so:
- "Sex" implies physical characteristics. This is not the part that is a social construct, and I have never talked to anyone who thinks it is.
- "Gender" implies mental and social/cultural characteristics. It is this part that can be a social construct, especially the social/cultural part (duh).

I found an article:
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html

You can compare to how in science, the word "theory" implies something else than it typically does in everyday discussion. Scientific fields have their own jargon, and this is not a new thing
BULLSHIT! All of this.

Gender is a grammatical term to classify nouns into one of three categories, which just happen to be named 'masculine', 'feminine' and 'neuter'. They bare absolutely no relation to "mental and social/cultural characteristics". The genders might as well have been named 'red', 'blue' and 'green', or 'animal', 'vegetable' and 'mineral', or any other group of three classes. In fact, some languages have a different number of genders. Does that mean their people have more sexes? No, of course not! Because their is no link between the two, other than that words describing a man or a uniquely male body part, tend to be masculine in gender. That's it.

If you want to decouple physical, mental/spiritual and social/cultural characteristics of sex, that is a different discussion. But you CANNOT hijack the word gender, and start using it and redefining it as suits your needs at any given moment!

You also don't do this in any other scenario. The word theory means the same in daily life as in science, and if you are using it differently then you are abusing the term and you should stop and get educated. This kind of nonsense is exactly how we ended up with people thinking 'gay' means 'homosexual' as opposed to 'merry, colourful, flamboyant', 'queer' means 'sexually deviant' rather than 'weird, odd, strange', and 'niggard' and 'blaggard' make any kind of comment on race.
This type of terminology hijacking is symptomatic of post-1960s western culture and it needs to be corrected. Currently, we are instead stimulating the problem by reward those who manage to be simultaneously ignorant and arrogant. And that leads to the kind of bullshit quoted above being perpetuated.
low rated
devoras: Honestly that's still playing into their silly games. There's no need to further clarify sex with chromosomes and such, best to ignore them, subtly mock and make fun of the ridiculous ideas if they make too much noise to comfortably ignore, and leave it alone. The normal scientific definition of male or female is all we need.
cLaude83: But the scientific definition of male and female is that made on the basis of genetics, and has been ever since we first started to understand genetics. It is a more fundamental definition than the traditional one of looking at external attributes, and it is also much less ambiguous.

devoras: I just want the silliness to be optional in games so I don't have to deal with it. If someone wants there to be an option to pretend that gender is a social construct in a game that's fine, whatever makes them happy, as long as it's an option I have the option to ignore.

I say keep it simple in games, male or female selection, then on top of that add an option for people to choose a different gender than their sex if they want. We don't need to have all this controversy, it's an easy fix. Everyone can be free to enjoy entertainment as they like.
cLaude83: I'M SCARED BECAUSE THE WORLD IS CHANGING

lace_gardenia: Ok, let me attempt to clarify something here: in the discussion context you are talking about, "sex" and "gender" imply different things. Yes, the words are very much synonymous in everyday discussion, but here they are more specific. The word choice is unfortunate, but that's English for you.

Like so:
- "Sex" implies physical characteristics. This is not the part that is a social construct, and I have never talked to anyone who thinks it is.
- "Gender" implies mental and social/cultural characteristics. It is this part that can be a social construct, especially the social/cultural part (duh).

I found an article:
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html

You can compare to how in science, the word "theory" implies something else than it typically does in everyday discussion. Scientific fields have their own jargon, and this is not a new thing
cLaude83: ALSO I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW LANGUAGES CHANGE OVER TIME
ok boomer
Post edited January 12, 2020 by lace_gardenia
cLaude83: But the scientific definition of male and female is that made on the basis of genetics, and has been ever since we first started to understand genetics. It is a more fundamental definition than the traditional one of looking at external attributes, and it is also much less ambiguous.
I'm suggesting that feeling the need to further complicate the definition of sex/ gender, based on their ridiculous ideas, is giving those ideas more legitimacy than they deserve. It's technically true that whether someone is male or female is based on the foundation of genetics, but for most purposes we don't even have to go that far. I can't look at someone and see their dna; I don't feel like I need to know their DNA in order to identify whether they're of the male or female sex. While that's better than their claim that they can change physical reality with feelings, it's still not good, because in a similar way you're suggesting that we can't identify someone's gender/ sex with our senses.

cLaude83: I understand your flexible conflict adverseness, but the problem with this way of doing things is that it helps to normalize the idea that there are more than two sexes, and that you can change your sex, and that you feel uncomfortable in your body that magically allows your spirit to identify as another sex.
That is the thin end of the wedge. We know these wackos and we know how they operate, give them a finger and they take an arm, give them any space whatsoever and they'll wedge their foot inside the door. Voluntarily giving them space to pretend their ideas hold any merit, is the beginning of the end. It is pandering in its purest form.
I don't think it does help normalize those ideas, not if it's optional. As long as it's not optional though, I won't engage in that entertainment. The removal of male and female in this game, for example, is sufficient reason for me to not buy the game because they have made it non-optional to create a character with a normal and conventional gender/ sex selection. As another example, the Battletech game was even worse, it went a step further and forced you to choose a pronoun for your character instead of your sex/ gender, I didn't make it past the character creation. I wasn't able to refund the game either because I bought it third party for a steam key, but I had it permanently removed from my account still and have blacklisted the developers from any future purchases. I've put a hold on any gog purchasing until I see how this situation pans out with cyberpunk when it's released.

I just want that sort of nonsense to be optional so I don't have to deal with it, then I don't care of they have it in as an option for others if they want it.
Post edited January 13, 2020 by devoras
Yunipuma: Madam, really - YOU NEED A DOCTOR.
Call me hater or whatever, but that phrase of yours gets me really worried
lace_gardenia: Why?
Because in your message there is a clear intention to blur the traditional gender conventions in society.
low rated
lace_gardenia: Why?
Yunipuma: Because in your message there is a clear intention to blur the traditional gender conventions in society.
You should relax, and let people dress and look as they like.

(also, Rosie The Riveter would disagree with you)
Post edited January 13, 2020 by lace_gardenia
Yunipuma: Because in your message there is a clear intention to blur the traditional gender conventions in society.
lace_gardenia: You should relax, and let people dress and look as they like.
I agree with that; but that goes both ways. If someone prefers traditional gender conventions they should be left alone too. For example, those women at the nascar race, the grid girls, shouldn't have been removed. Also the push for removing attractive sexy women from video games shouldn't happen. Women who want to be housewives are free to do and look as they like as well.

It also doesn't mean that I'm in any way required to think that a man wearing makeup or wearing dresses looks good. They are absolutely free to dress and look as they like, but that can be very off putting depending on how they choose to dress and look.
lace_gardenia: You should relax, and let people dress and look as they like.
devoras: I agree with that; but that goes both ways. If someone prefers traditional gender conventions they should be left alone too.

[...]

It also doesn't mean that I'm in any way required to think that a man wearing makeup or wearing dresses looks good. They are absolutely free to dress and look as they like, but that can be very off putting depending on how they choose to dress and look.
Sure. Current feminism (despite what teh interwebz say) is much more about making it possible to choose than the earlier waves were.

Regarding off putting feelings, It's still a good thing to be aware of where they come from, and why that is. Some reactions are "learned" over time.
devoras: It also doesn't mean that I'm in any way required to think that a man wearing makeup or wearing dresses looks good. They are absolutely free to dress and look as they like, but that can be very off putting depending on how they choose to dress and look.
lace_gardenia: Regarding off putting feelings, It's still a good thing to be aware of where they come from, and why that is. Some reactions are "learned" over time.
Like attraction to your own sex?
Post edited January 13, 2020 by LootHunter
lace_gardenia: Sure. Current feminism (despite what teh interwebz say) is much more about making it possible to choose than the earlier waves were.
From what I've seen I'm not so sure about that. We would have to do a point-by-point discussion on feminism though to determine where it goes wrong or right. From what I've seen, feminism has strayed from equality, which I am for, to ideas/ attempts at superiority and 'equity' instead of equality, which is unethical and I am definitely against.

lace_gardenia: Regarding off putting feelings, It's still a good thing to be aware of where they come from, and why that is. Some reactions are "learned" over time.
LootHunter: Like attraction to your own sex?
This is an insightful point. I'm not going to apologize for not being attracted to men, any more than I would expect someone who is gay to apologize for not being attracted to women.

What's a good example... imagine something that you enjoy, let's just say a cookie because I don't know what you might enjoy. Say you really like cream filled cookies, and you see a cookie. You look at it and on the outside, on a superficial level it looks like a cookie should look, but if you look a little closer you see it has a filling of dried insects instead. It's the wild swing from 'oh that might be good' and something you enjoy to 'oh god I'm going to nope on that' and something you most definitely do not enjoy that causes a strong repulsion fairly quickly.
No, that is innate, as far as anyone can tell.

I was thinking more about how (for example) "women wearing pants" used to be a Pretty Big Deal, and is not anything out of the ordinary now.
low rated
lace_gardenia: Sure. Current feminism (despite what teh interwebz say) is much more about making it possible to choose than the earlier waves were.
devoras: From what I've seen I'm not so sure about that. We would have to do a point-by-point discussion on feminism though to determine where it goes wrong or right. From what I've seen, feminism has strayed from equality, which I am for, to ideas/ attempts at superiority and 'equity' instead of equality, which is unethical and I am definitely against.

devoras: This is an insightful point. I'm not going to apologize for not being attracted to men, any more than I would expect someone who is gay to apologize for not being attracted to women.

What's a good example... imagine something that you enjoy, let's just say a cookie because I don't know what you might enjoy. Say you really like cream filled cookies, and you see a cookie. You look at it and on the outside, on a superficial level it looks like a cookie should look, but if you look a little closer you see it has a filling of dried insects instead. It's the wild swing from 'oh that might be good' and something you enjoy to 'oh god I'm going to nope on that' and something you most definitely do not enjoy that causes a strong repulsion fairly quickly.
Again, sure. You don't have to be attracted to everyone.

However, the reaction of some people isn't just "sorry, not interested" but instead anger and then violence - that is most def something that needs to be "un-learned". This is often called "gay panic", and it has (successfully) been used as an excuse for murder of LGBT individuals.

There is also a tendency in some people to see any mention in films or games of anyone LGBT as "showing it down [their] throat", no matter how small a role it really is.

Not saying that I think you are like that - i just thought it deserved to be mentioned.
Post edited January 13, 2020 by lace_gardenia
lace_gardenia: No, that is innate, as far as anyone can tell.
Ah, so sexuality is innate when someone attracted to own sex, and "learned" when not. Good to know.
low rated
lace_gardenia: No, that is innate, as far as anyone can tell.
LootHunter: Ah, so sexuality is innate when someone attracted to own sex, and "learned" when not. Good to know.
No, It's innate in general.

But thanks for pretending to not understand and being willfully dense.
lace_gardenia: However, the reaction of some people isn't just "sorry, not interested" but instead anger and then violence - that is most def something that needs to be "un-learned". This is often called "gay panic"
Or "bitch shield" when it's a woman who exibits such reaction against men. Of course, with your double standards and all, you don't want that to be "un-learned".
LootHunter: Ah, so sexuality is innate when someone attracted to own sex, and "learned" when not. Good to know.
lace_gardenia: No, It's innate in general.
You literally a few comments ago said that his "off putting" feelings to men that try to look and behave iffeminate are something that is "learned".
Post edited January 13, 2020 by LootHunter