It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
I've put together a Wine wrapper for Anno 1404: Gold Edition, allowing it to be played on Linux almost like a native game & with no Wine knowledge required.

Simply run the build script to create the wrapper. If the installer files are not alongside the wrapper build files then the path to them will need to be specified either by passing it as an argument to the build script with -respath="<path>" or by setting an environment variable named WINEWRAP_RESPATH containing it. You can change the path to build the wrapper in and the name of the wrapper directory with the -buildpath= and -dirname= arguments. The build path can also be set with the WINEWRAP_BUILDPATH environment variable.

The output will be a directory containing the game set up within a preconfigured Wine prefix, along with its own copy of Wine, extracted game icons, documentation, and start script(s). From there simply run the start script to play. The start script also includes options for creating a shortcut, configuring the wrapper etc.

(to uninstall simply delete the game directory and any shortcuts you created, and the game's user data directory in ~/.local/share if you don't want to keep your saves & settings)

User data is stored under ~/.local/share/anno1404

Full details are in the readme.txt and release notes. Here is the download link:

anno1404_wine.tar.xz
(143.7 kB, SHA256: ac18567e2f90176452e7e9a5eccb1b3cd274a776a445598ed7c028b2f7207529)

Last updated 2021/07/11

The wrapper uses Wine 6.0 + DXVK. Wine and Winetricks will be downloaded automatically if not present; to avoid redownloading for other scripts the downloaded Wine package will be stored in ~/.cache/winewrap

If anyone encounters any problems then post in this thread, Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers - News, FAQ &amp; Discussion and/or The "Judas&trade; does this run in Wine" thread v1.173.

For more of my Linux Wine wrappers check out post 3 in this thread: Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers - News, FAQ &amp; Discussion

Additional notes:

-You can enable DXVK's framerate display by setting the environment variable: DXVK_HUD=fps
If you want to create a shortcut to start the game with this set then use these arguments for the shortcut:

env DXVK_HUD=fps %command% play

- Additional packages may be necessary to enable Vulkan support on your system, e.g.: libvulkan1 and libvulkan1:i386
Users of the open graphics drivers may also need to install mesa-vulkan-drivers and mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
Post edited July 11, 2021 by adamhm
The script doesn't seem to be up to date with the latest installers.

Expecting:

082e448c4131187697417efd6a6258a66fe14e8268cacaa034c4c4d8b44d6e0f setup_anno_1404_gold_edition_2.01.5010_(13111)-1.bin
59f9661384dff077a3a3680ea3650c662a628a1aa29e39eec6dcee708aa78ec0 setup_anno_1404_gold_edition_2.01.5010_(13111)-2.bin
c5003e8c98b6eee6e7ce27d275ba3d7206210e4423555f6b9859feedbbc4b59c setup_anno_1404_gold_edition_2.01.5010_(13111).exe

but got:
d3d831c1318e7f4a10753a92ac41cb59748e2c1cfdaa253c69147de6c3f5cd52 setup_anno_1404_2.01_v2_(30326).exe
0bc631debf494cf484ae743105f43f994e89f10060fb72fb67ddb053d01ba8c9 setup_anno_1404_2.01_v2_(30326)-1.bin
ThzChz: The script doesn't seem to be up to date with the latest installers.
Thanks, fixed now :)
Game doesnt start for me on Pop! OS 19.10

Console does show me following:

Running: Anno4.exe
Working directory: XXXX
Not forcing virtual desktop
esync: up and running.
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.

or equal to 2.0.5.

or equal to 2.0.5.

-> Red 1.000, Green 1.000, Blue 1.000
<- Red 1.000, Green 1.000, Blue 1.000
Got it, i just needed wine 32bit stuff :)
Thanks so much. This plays so much faster and smoother than wined3d9.

Works great here with vkBasalt also for reshade effects.
Post edited February 22, 2020 by mouacyk
Hi!
I just tried your script and it works awsome!
One thing to be noted, before I managed to play: In the first menu appearing after running start.sh (or start-venice.sh) I needed to chose Advanced Options->Configure DXVX->Revert to default

Before that I get message: "Cannot Initialize Direct C"
adamhm: I've put together a Wine wrapper for Anno 1404: Gold Edition, allowing it to be played on Linux almost like a native game & with no Wine knowledge required.

Simply run the build script to create the wrapper. If the installer files are not alongside the wrapper build files then the path to them will need to be specified either by passing it as an argument to the build script with -respath="<path>" or by setting an environment variable named WINEWRAP_RESPATH containing it. You can change the path to build the wrapper in and the name of the wrapper directory with the -buildpath= and -dirname= arguments. The build path can also be set with the WINEWRAP_BUILDPATH environment variable.

The output will be a directory containing the game set up within a preconfigured Wine prefix, along with its own copy of Wine, extracted game icons, documentation, and start script(s). From there simply run the start script to play. The start script also includes options for creating a shortcut, configuring the wrapper etc.

(to uninstall simply delete the game directory and any shortcuts you created, and the game's user data directory in ~/.local/share if you don't want to keep your saves & settings)

User data is stored under ~/.local/share/anno1404

Full details are in the readme.txt and release notes. Here is the download link:

anno1404_wine.tar.xz
(143.7 kB, SHA256: ac18567e2f90176452e7e9a5eccb1b3cd274a776a445598ed7c028b2f7207529)

Last updated 2021/07/11

The wrapper uses Wine 6.0 + DXVK. Wine and Winetricks will be downloaded automatically if not present; to avoid redownloading for other scripts the downloaded Wine package will be stored in ~/.cache/winewrap

If anyone encounters any problems then post in this thread, Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers - News, FAQ &amp; Discussion and/or The "Judas&trade; does this run in Wine" thread v1.173.

For more of my Linux Wine wrappers check out post 3 in this thread: Adamhm's Linux Wine Wrappers - News, FAQ &amp; Discussion

Additional notes:

-You can enable DXVK's framerate display by setting the environment variable: DXVK_HUD=fps
If you want to create a shortcut to start the game with this set then use these arguments for the shortcut:

env DXVK_HUD=fps %command% play

- Additional packages may be necessary to enable Vulkan support on your system, e.g.: libvulkan1 and libvulkan1:i386
Users of the open graphics drivers may also need to install mesa-vulkan-drivers and mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
All working fine except for the multiplayer on local network using wifi. Any thoughts? I create a session but the other player cannot see it. We've tried turn off the firewall, but nothing works. We played it about two years ago and I do not record having this kind of problem. We are running the game on Debian. Thanks in advance.
Post edited June 19, 2022 by mathgamain
paykz0r: Got it, i just needed wine 32bit stuff :)
Hello,
I think i'm encountering something similar, but I'm not experienced enough with wine (hence my attempt of using this script).
Could you please go into more detail on what you did (steps you took) to solve your situation?
Thanks.
paykz0r: Got it, i just needed wine 32bit stuff :)
andreiuul: Hello,
I think i'm encountering something similar, but I'm not experienced enough with wine (hence my attempt of using this script).
The exact command depends on your distribution, but if you already have wine, 64 bit, you install the same packages but 32 bit, perhaps with :i386 appended to the name.
kajakks: Hi!
I just tried your script and it works awsome!
One thing to be noted, before I managed to play: In the first menu appearing after running start.sh (or start-venice.sh) I needed to chose Advanced Options->Configure DXVX->Revert to default

Before that I get message: "Cannot Initialize Direct C"
Yes great Work! I tried manually tinkering with wine and using PlayOnLinux, which failed me for the Venice addon and the fonts looked smallish/bad. But I can confirm, I also had to remove the dll overrides via DXVK -> Revert to default as kajakks reported. Then it really works great!

EDIT: I was installing the German version with the -planb flag, worked perfectly!

EDIT2: Ok now that I have been playing a while, sadly there are lots of crashes.. sometimes just 1min after loading a game, so I doubt it's that 32bit RAM problem :/ That's the error I am seeing most of the time when the game crashes:

01c4:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 00110094 "dlls/ntdll/heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 01c4, blocked by 0164, retrying (60 sec)
Post edited October 28, 2022 by tensionhead
adamhm: I've put together a Wine wrapper for Anno 1404: Gold Edition, allowing it to be played on Linux almost like a native game & with no Wine knowledge required.

Many thanks for this! As others have mentioned, I also had to configure DXVK -> Revert to default otherwise it threw an error.

My system is:

MX Linux 21
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Radeon RX570
16gb
I have it running in Lutris just fine. Makes all the Wine wrappers for you and allows you to tweak settings on the fly.

You might consider loading this. See attached screenshot for options. Running Glorious Eggroll Proton on this one. You can select things like DXVK with a flick of a switch. Makes running many Wine wrappers simple and intuitive.

So easy.

Edit, to make it even easier, Lutris will do install scripts for you with any dll overrides or whatever is needed. I find I rarely need to use them for. If you do, you just click a button on a website and it will auto install it for you. Anno 1404 can be found here for example: https://lutris.net/games/anno-1404/

Example script and it will do all this for you, but I find with the latest GE Proton, I didn't need the dx3 wintricks install:

[i]files:
- installer: N/A:Select the EXE downloaded from GOG
game:
exe: drive_c/GOG Games/Anno 1404 Gold Edition/Addon.exe
prefix: $GAMEDIR
installer:
- task:
description: Creating WINE prefix
name: create_prefix
- task:
args: /SP- /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NOCANCEL
description: Running Setup, please wait...
executable: installer
name: wineexec
- task:
app: d3dx9
name: winetricks
- write_file:
content: <InitFile><LanguageTAG>eng</LanguageTAG><UbiSurveyTime>36000000</UbiSurveyTime>& amp; lt;UbiSurveyTimeStatus>1</UbiSurveyTimeStatus><DirectXVersion>9</DirectXVersion></Init File>
file: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Roaming/Ubisoft/Anno1404Addon/Config/Engine.ini
mode: w
- write_file:
content: <InitFile><LanguageTAG>eng</LanguageTAG><UbiSurveyTime>36000000</UbiSurveyTime>& amp; lt;UbiSurveyTimeStatus>1</UbiSurveyTimeStatus><DirectXVersion>9</DirectXVersion></Init File>
file: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Roaming/Ubisoft/Anno1404/Config/Engine.ini
mode: w
wine:
esync: true[/i]
Attachments:
lutris1.png (71 Kb)
Post edited April 20, 2023 by xman1
One more post for Lutris here... This is currently what I am running in it if anyone cares to know (See screenshot). All organized in one place. I used to mess around with wrappers and getting things running. Now days, I click a button and point at a file and I am off playing everything instead of messing around trying to get things running.
Attachments:
Post edited April 20, 2023 by xman1