It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

blackcat29: I'd love to play but I am new to PBEM . If someone can walk me through the process I'd be quite grateful
Without the Wrapper I think it's - When you receive the turnfile in your email, you download it and put it in the Age of Wonders\EmailIn directory, then you load the file ingame and play it, then you email the file in Age of Wonders\EmailOut to the next player.

But this gets a bit tiresome so some fans developed the 'Age of Wonders Email Wrapper', which automatically downloads the turnfiles and makes a pinging noise when you have turns to be played, and automatically meails them to the next person when you're done. Just remember - when you press end turn with this, leave the option on ''Automated'' NOT on ''Manual''.

http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1122

Setting up the wrapper can be annoying and doesn't work with some emails, works with gmail for sure though. You might have to iddle with settings in Gmail like 'allow access to less secure apps', 'create an app password with 2-factor authentication' etc.

Getting the wrapper to work is sometimes tricky - be sure to read the manual if you run into issues, but also feel free to ask me/us how to sort issues out.

You can also start a PBEM game, with or without the Wrapper, with yourself - just set both sides to your email. Good way of testing it.

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,183,0,30 this is a generic and rather lengthly guide you might want to refer to.
goggogaowsm: I see a AOW1 game was started, are you likely to do any AOWSM May games? My PBEM is now working, I just can't do manual combat, but happy to play anyway, it otherwise works fine (do you lot usual do manual or fast combat out of interest).

Happy to sign up for a few games, also happy to wait till June if you don't tend to have many on the go at a time :)
southern: Sure, well 'May' was just a way of distinguishing the thread from previous ones, might keep using it for 2 more months who knows.

Hopefully you can figure out the SM bug you're having, but if you don't we can play on a map where the indies aren't super-strong and player-vs-player combat starts earlier, since that's always automated. Could give you some extra units or mines to compensate for having to automate the indie battles.
Ah okay, good to know it won't affect player v player combat (although I guess I still wouldn't be able to have players troops surrender to me). I'm happy to try without any compensations, but if after I've done a few maps its clearly making things harder and I can't solve the bug then maybe that could be looked into again :)

I think either way, I have a big learning curve on fighting human players anyway. I'm definitely good at the game, I love hard maps like Athendore 2, Race to Death, Dark Hordes, some Ibob levels etc, but the AI even with army advantages like on those levels, are still quite predictable and do stupid things. So I'm good at exploiting the AI, but much of that won't work against people, so probably I'll be pretty rubbish against you lot for a while :)
blackcat29: I'd love to play but I am new to PBEM . If someone can walk me through the process I'd be quite grateful
Definitely try the email wrapper, I got it working at the weekend for the first time to play against my brother, and it did take a bit of trial and error to solve some problems, but works really well once you've done it. I found it easier to set up with gmail than outlook if that helps. The person who made the program doesn't do it anymore, but he did kindly email me when I couldn't get it working, so if you run into problems and its the same issue I had, then maybe I can help.
Post edited May 18, 2020 by goggogaowsm
goggogaowsm: Ah okay, good to know it won't affect player v player combat (although I guess I still wouldn't be able to have players troops surrender to me). I'm happy to try without any compensations, but if after I've done a few maps its clearly making things harder and I can't solve the bug then maybe that could be looked into again :)

I think either way, I have a big learning curve on fighting human players anyway. I'm definitely good at the game, I love hard maps like Athendore 2, Race to Death, Dark Hordes, some Ibob levels etc, but the AI even with army advantages like on those levels, are still quite predictable and do stupid things. So I'm good at exploiting the AI, but much of that won't work against people, so probably I'll be pretty rubbish against you lot for a while :)
Yeah with no manual PvP combat, MP is much more about where on the map your guys are. having vision, and keeping track of how far the enemy can see and move are the new fundamentals. Cocealment is suddenly a thing too unlike vs AI.

A handicap is definitely merited for someone who can't manual combat vs AI.
southern: A handicap is definitely merited for someone who can't manual combat vs AI.
We need to give Arnuz this bug / feature. :)

He's taken my crown and left my ego a shadow of it's former self.

Edit: I'll be up for a new SM game or two as well. Vanilla games work for me. I actually dislike the crazy, crowded maps created by folks trying to push the boundaries of what can be done. (Or maybe it's because I never read the instructions I'm given.)
Post edited May 18, 2020 by Mimo
southern: Without the Wrapper I think it's - When you receive the turnfile in your email, you download it and put it in the Age of Wonders\EmailIn directory, then you load the file ingame and play it, then you email the file in Age of Wonders\EmailOut to the next player.

But this gets a bit tiresome so some fans developed the 'Age of Wonders Email Wrapper', which automatically downloads the turnfiles and makes a pinging noise when you have turns to be played, and automatically meails them to the next person when you're done. Just remember - when you press end turn with this, leave the option on ''Automated'' NOT on ''Manual''.

http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1122

Setting up the wrapper can be annoying and doesn't work with some emails, works with gmail for sure though. You might have to iddle with settings in Gmail like 'allow access to less secure apps', 'create an app password with 2-factor authentication' etc.

Getting the wrapper to work is sometimes tricky - be sure to read the manual if you run into issues, but also feel free to ask me/us how to sort issues out.

You can also start a PBEM game, with or without the Wrapper, with yourself - just set both sides to your email. Good way of testing it.

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,183,0,30 this is a generic and rather lengthly guide you might want to refer to.
Okay here is where I am at:

I downloaded the e-mail wrapper

I have G-mail

Having difficulty finding those settings in g-mail you are alluding to, as such I think that when I created a test game playing both sides, when I sent off the file the wrapper received an error message stating that the username and password were not accepted.

Would you be able to direct me to those settings or let me know if this is a seperate issue. I really appreciate the support, I have always loved this game since I was young and really looking forward to playing with others
I think if I am able to set the two-factor authentication I should be able to get through because the pop-up I am receiving is about improper credentials. If anyone knows where I can set that on gmail that would be great!
blackcat29: I think if I am able to set the two-factor authentication I should be able to get through because the pop-up I am receiving is about improper credentials. If anyone knows where I can set that on gmail that would be great!
I think that's because Google doesn't know the wrapper is safe, so you have to allow less secure apps. Instructions on how to do that are here:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

That's what sorted it for me at the weekend.
I honestly don't know where any gmail settings are as they seem to change things each year. I just look up guides to the gmail UI.
blackcat29: I think if I am able to set the two-factor authentication I should be able to get through because the pop-up I am receiving is about improper credentials. If anyone knows where I can set that on gmail that would be great!
Sign in and go here: https://myaccount.google.com/security

There should be some settings there that will let you either set up 2FA or just lower the security standard, whichever way you want to go.
Good news!

Thanks to the support I've received and some troubleshooting I was able to get PBEM to work with a singular email account for both players.

I'd like to run a test if anyone is willing to send me a quick scenario to see if it works between other players.
My e-mail is: humeniuk.laforest@gmail.com and I go by Zak for the character titles. Pretty sure this will be just a formality but want to be sure before getting involved in a serious game.

Greatly appreciated
blackcat29: Good news!

Thanks to the support I've received and some troubleshooting I was able to get PBEM to work with a singular email account for both players.

I'd like to run a test if anyone is willing to send me a quick scenario to see if it works between other players.
My e-mail is: humeniuk.laforest@gmail.com and I go by Zak for the character titles. Pretty sure this will be just a formality but want to be sure before getting involved in a serious game.

Greatly appreciated
I've added you to my little red book of aow PBEM emails. Which out of aow1 and aow2 are you interested in?

Also, what do you mean by 'character titles'? Do you mean that when starting a game, we should rename the leader you're playing to Zak? Kind of a very cool idea actually, to rename the ingame leaders to the forum names. I will do that in future. But you probably meant something else? If you mean you want to be known as Zak, I don't know you you can change your name on GoG, but you can change the text underneath it (ie 'Old user' for me) by going to 'my settings' on any forum discussion page.
Post edited May 20, 2020 by southern
Ahhh true, I just meant I know sometimes the player's names are listed in the order in the title so you know who is going next. Also I am a fan of the original: AoW 1 for me :)
My email is... you can add it for aow2 or aowsm games :)

[*Post modded by PainOfSalvation: Please refrain from posting your email address as this is against Forum Code of Conduct.]
Post edited May 22, 2020 by PainOfSalvation
Thereunto:
ZFR:
blackcat29:
I've staken the liberty of starting a PBEM with us 4 in, 'First Conflict', thread I shall post presently
goggogaowsm: My email is... you can add it for aow2 or aowsm games :)

[*Post modded by PainOfSalvation: Please refrain from posting your email address as this is against Forum Code of Conduct.]
Heh, I didn't know it was against forum rules to post emails - but we can PM them anyhow. I already noted yours down.

It looks like the AoW2 players are less in evidence right now, so would you be up for a 1v1 with me?
Post edited May 24, 2020 by southern