It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welks: Since megaupload closed and there is no other way to download the patches, could anyone upload them to another server, please?
OUTCAST in HD (High Definition)... Yeah! There are patches! (download ‘HD‐V3’)
Mediafire (alternate link)
Where do I actually put the high res files, which folder do they go in and how to install? Couldn't see it in the OP sorry.
just put the contents of the folder in the zip packed file (it is called "OUTCAST_V3_PARCHE-HD_Y_FARO_GOG_ByZenger.zip") into the main OUTCAST folder and run the APLLYMEGAPATCH.exe. You do not have to move any of the files supplied with it anywhere. Just mind that you should NOT have the files in a folder called "OUTCAST_HD-V3" in your main folder, that is just what the zip file brought with it.

btw, another link from a forum with download links:
http://planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=824#824
peititon to Zenger.

Please, can you make a new or alternative patch that show again the travelling map when loading the maps ? I cant understand the ressont to remove them in the V3 patch...

thx in advance
Link i dead, but found a new link for the Outcast HD version form mister _Zenger_
Thanks for the great work, just made a test and it works like a charm.

Link: http://www.openoutcast.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=20487

Ps. If other community members like to upload files like these(only patches or support files are alloud, dont ask me to upload games or other files not related to support game issues)for the GOG members i am willing to offer FREEspace from my hosting server, that is fast and not capped.
Welks: Since megaupload closed and there is no other way to download the patches, could anyone upload them to another server, please?
jacobbrett: OUTCAST in HD (High Definition)... Yeah! There are patches! (download ‘HD‐V3’)
Mediafire (alternate link)
It's been several months and I absolutely forgot about this but still, thanks a lot!
I justed installed the latest HD patch V3 for Outcast.
Using a 16:9 resolution of 1280x720 for my widescreen monitor produced an image, where almost 1/3 of the image in the lower part was cropped off.
Which is painful to play with, because you don't even see where you're walking.

Tried to use a 4:3 resolution of 1280x1024, but the picture was automatically stretched to my 16:9 widescreen monitor, which was painful to look at.

Is there any possibility to change the FOV (by adding more pixels left and right) for a real widescreen experience in 1280x720?
I know there is an ingame FOV to change perspective, but it does not help.

Added 2 screens.
1) 1280x1024
2) 1280x768
Attachments:
Post edited June 12, 2012 by truemmer
truemmer: Tried to use a 4:3 resolution of 1280x1024, but the picture was automatically stretched to my 16:9 widescreen monitor, which was painful to look at.
You might be able to fix this in your graphics card options. Look for settings related to scaling, and see if there's an option to "preserve aspect ratio" or similar. That should change things so that when you use a 4:3 resolution for a game it will letterbox with black bars on the sides rather than stretching the image horizontally.
Thanks for the info.
I've done that and it works.
Still would love to see a real widescreen solution with added pixel left and right.
truemmer: Still would love to see a real widescreen solution with added pixel left and right.
This has been requested before... I'm pretty sure that it's basically impossible to do, given the way that Outcast was coded. Personally, I'm amazed that the high res patch even works at all, given that the original game couldn't go higher than 512x384. Back then widescreen monitors didn't exist, so most developers didn't even consider supporting resolutions with different aspect ratios.

So yeah, I think that the patch enables running in widescreen but this will cut off the top and bottom of the image, and there's no real way around that.
This is really an awesome patch, thanks a lot for sharing.

It's a pity that death scenes don't work anymore with this patch though. As soon as you die or an important character dies ("You have failed your mission"), the game crashes with the message "oc1 has stopped working".

Also, I'm not sure if this crash to desktop will happen with other messages (for example when you've completed a goal or something). Can anybody please post experiences about this case?
What are the tested and accepted 16:9 resolutions? Are there any at all that doesn't stretch? If not, what is recommended to play on a 1080p native monitor? In case of stretch I will play non-scaling so it will be a box in the middle.

Edit: 1280x720 seems to work alright but I lose quite a bit of performance, about average 40FPS on a Q9450. I wonder if overclocking it a bit (20%) would help.

Anyone has any nice tweaks to increase performance? I will do it at expense of visuals but only if it's worth it of course.
Post edited June 25, 2012 by Nirth_90
Using a resolution of 1280x720 you will lose a lot of information, too.
Like I said before, the lower 1/3 of the picture is cut off.
I posted sreens here: http://planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=832#832

In fact, using a 4:3 aspect ratio with the full picture information like 1280x960 will decrease performance even more, because more picture information has to be rendered.
I had a loss of 5fps using a 4:3 ratio instead of a 16:9 ratio.
Post edited June 27, 2012 by truemmer
Yeah, the performance loss with 1280x720 was too high for me. Currently I run 800x600 but I'm trying to up the eye candy to compensate for loss of resolution (altough I can't say I miss increased eye candy except for high quality textures).
Hey guys,
When I'm trying to install the patch, I can choose the resoultion but then this message comes :
"unexpected error while creating file "loader.exe" make sure that you have written permission over this file".

I'm using the GOG version and Windows 7
Any help ?
Post edited July 10, 2012 by Jimmdon