It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Right click APPLYMEGAPATCH.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
SonataFanatica: It's a pity that death scenes don't work anymore with this patch though. As soon as you die or an important character dies ("You have failed your mission"), the game crashes with the message "oc1 has stopped working".
I too get the crashes on death/failure with the HI-RES V3 Patch.
(running Outcast on a lappy Win7x64/Core2Duo 2.5ghz/Nvidia 8600gs/RAM 4gb]

After testing, it seems to be the Cinemascope that's affecting it.
640, 800, 1024 resolutions + Cinemascope on = no crash
1280 + Cinemascope on = crash
1280 + Cinemascope off = no crash

I'd love to tryout nex01's high resolution patch, but unfortunately megaupload got shut down and the link is now dead
nex01: I just made a patch that fixes the crash at the game over screen when using cinemascope.
I made it only for 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions (1280x720+1280x768) since most people have widescreens only these days.
I also added a nice leather effect to the gameover scroll.
Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NOGNXMMO

I'm also working on an 1080p patch.
It's working so far but the DOF layers are shifted and the terrain dissappears when looking down to the ground.
I don't know how to fix this.
FPS are slow on my 2.6ghz Conroe, but it works noticable better on an i5 2410m Sandybridge
Hi - could you please reupload
I found this by googling http://www.openoutcast.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=20487
Do we just need the V3 version of the patch, or does each version need to be installed in order?
_Zenger_: Hi, I've made an EXPERIMENTAL patch to play Outcast in HI-RES, now You can play in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x768. Also I have fixed the problem with the last jump at the Cyana Lighthouse, now You can reach that last platform without problems.

A WORD OF WARNING THOUGH, YOU MUST APPROACH THIS PATCH WITH AN OPEN MIND, THE GAME ISN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK AT THESE RESOLUTIONS, NOT AT ALL XD, AND THE PATCH HAS PROBLEMS

What do I mean with that?, well, that It's very complex to do a thing like this, in my opinion of course, extremely complex, so if You are looking for the perfect patch, You will feel dissapointed.
That doesn't mean that the patch isn't worked enough, far from it. It has taken me a lot, a lot lot XD, of hours and effort to make this possible, I've fixed a lot, and I mean a lot of things, and many of them have been a real challenge, but, even so, problems still exist and if You are looking for defects You will find them easily.

That is why I said with open mind, like an experiment... opps It crashed, well.. no worries, let's try again, that kind of thinking, BECAUSE IT CRASHES, I thought I fixed all the crashes but no... something is wrong somewhere, something little, something silent.. and with time it may produce a crash.... so... why have I uploaded the patch?.. Well, for two reasons, first because I think I can't go on with this any longer, I'm really tired of this XD, and second because I think there may be people who want to see outcast in these resolutions, I think It is very curious to see and although there are problems, maybe, It worth a look for someone, like an experiment.

I just wanted You to know that there are problems, but if You don't mind, please try the patch, just for curiosity

There is a clasic problem that came from the old 640x480 patch, and it's the loading screen when You travel... well, now It appears.... like a mosaic XD. The reason not to fix this is because to do that I should do an "ugly" thing in the patch, and I rather not, if I can avoid it, after all, it is a loading screen

Ok, now the good things

- The Cyana lighthouse problem is fixed now

- This patch should (XD) work better in 640x480 than the old 640x480 V4 patch. The reason for this is because I've fixed some problems that, although rare, existed in the V4 version, also as I said this patch has the Cyana lighthouse problem fixed.

As with the V4 patch there is two versions, one with the visor, and one without the visor. What I mean by visor is the green rectangle that appears in the screen while playing, just the rectangle, the onboard computer, the voice, the icons when You get objects, ammunition, all is the same, I have just made a version without the rectangle so the screen is more "clean"

You can see what I mean here:

___ VISOR: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/zenger/PANEL_N.jpg
NO VISOR: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/zenger/PANEL_OUT.jpg

Perfomance
----------
In my PC, a Pentium D 2.8GHz:

800X600 WITHOUT DOF 25-30 FPS
800X600 WITH DOF 20-25 FPS

1024X768 WITHOUT DOF 15-20 FPS
1024X768 WITH DOF 12-15 FPS

1280X768 WITHOUT DOF 15-20 FPS
1280X768 WITH DOF 12-15 FPS

I'm curious to see the perfomance in better processors.

-------

-----------------
LINKS TO DOWNLOAD
-----------------

Sometimes the link is unavailable for short periods of time. Sorry about that, I don't know why. Maybe that happens when the file has been downloaded a certain number of times. It it says temporarily unavailable please try again later:

NEW VERSION V3
(this patch allows to play up to 1280x1024)
-------------------------

OUTCAST HI-RES PATCH V3:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H6CIR27L

------------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-

OLD VERSION V2:
------------------------
KERNEL V2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TDLUGODF

DATA V1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RG1OUTNB

Regards
Hi there, just wondering if you could reupload the patches as "megaupload" is not available any more :(
Someone please reupload nex01's patch, V3 is not good for widescreen / cinemascope.
Hey there folks, just wanted to let you all know I found another website where you can download the HD patch for the game

http://outcastii.free.fr/www/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633&sid=f1fd2fc24da947e5ebfe1053f2b76afa
Just tested the Zenger patch on Win 7 x64 w/ an ATI 5650 GPU. Works great!
The biggest problem I find with the resolution patch is that it not only removes the depth of field effect, which is a shame, but also the fog. This sucks because the fog not only masks the clipping of distant objects and characters, but I think also adds to the look of the game by itself.

If anybody knows of a way to use the patch while keeping the fog in front of the clipping, please share.
Hey

I read this entire thread but can't find a solid answer... is it possible to play in 1920x1200 res ?

Want to buy the game but kinda confused on what "mods" to choose and how to install them. I'm currently on a 2009 lower end laptop w/mouse. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!
I'm trying to figure out which high definition mods to use for Outcast as well. Can someone please post a link to the latest version of the patch?

Update:
It looks like the latest patch (HD-V3) can be found at this site: http://www.openoutcast.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=20487

With the patch, I tried a resolution setting of 1280x800 and it works fine on Windows 7 64-bit.

oLux: Want to buy the game but kinda confused on what "mods" to choose and how to install them. I'm currently on a 2009 lower end laptop w/mouse. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!
Post edited February 18, 2013 by IronArcturus
I have the latest resolution patch (HD-V3) installed and it seems to work fine except I have black bars at top and bottom.

I have a 16:9 monitor (native resolution 1920x1080) so I chose the 1280x720 option. In the launcher settings the "Framed" option keeps getting ticked on even when I disable it. The "Cinemascope" option is enabled, if I disable it the game cuts the image from bottom (can't seebelow Cutter's waist).

Any tips on getting rid of the black bars? Also is it possible to have a higher resolution like 1920x1080?

Edit: Well, choosing a 4:3 resolution seems to "fix" the black bars problem. I did notice another curious side effect of increasing the resolution: your map gets smaller/more zoomed in (as in you see less of your surroundings) the higher resolution you choose.
Post edited February 22, 2013 by jepeman
jepeman: I have the latest resolution patch (HD-V3) installed and it seems to work fine except I have black bars at top and bottom.

I have a 16:9 monitor (native resolution 1920x1080) so I chose the 1280x720 option. In the launcher settings the "Framed" option keeps getting ticked on even when I disable it. The "Cinemascope" option is enabled, if I disable it the game cuts the image from bottom (can't seebelow Cutter's waist).

Any tips on getting rid of the black bars? Also is it possible to have a higher resolution like 1920x1080?

Edit: Well, choosing a 4:3 resolution seems to "fix" the black bars problem. I did notice another curious side effect of increasing the resolution: your map gets smaller/more zoomed in (as in you see less of your surroundings) the higher resolution you choose.
what are you other preferences ? because i don't have the black bars with the cinemascope on 1280x720, but with cinemascope it will crash, and i thought that was fixed. back to without cinemascope it works fine, but half of cutter slade is out of the screen. which is disappointing especially when you are riding a twon-ha :(