It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finely ground aliens to take-out.

Shadowgrounds Survivor, a dynamic top-down shooter with swarms of alien horrors to spray with bullets, suggestive visuals, spiffy weapon upgrade system, and four player co-op mode, is now available on GOG.com for only $5.99. With that, its predecessor: Shadowgrounds, receives a Mac version and a permanent price drop to $5.99 as well.

In this indirect continuation of Frozenbyte's exciting alien shooter you'll follow a parallel story of the human commando facing the invasion on the Ganymede colony. The horror creeping in the dark corners of the Universe finally caught up with Terran colonists and the massacre that followed was only survived by a handful of the best trained, bravest, and quickest soldiers. Now it is up to them to put a stop to the extraterrestrial menace that threatens our existence.

Shadowgrounds Survivor delivers non-stop alien-shooting action over the course of 20 diverse missions, and it does so in perfect form. The old-school gameplay concept is paired with very modern visuals. You'll feel the heat of the combat and alien blood splatters as your guns rattle and spit a rain of bullets on your monstrous foes. Are you crazy enough to face the endless waves of beast in the timed survival mode? You can even share the fun with up to three more friends, in the fun and challenging co-op mode. Fun times! Dark and dangerous, but fun.

Humanity needs you again, so grab your upgradeable guns, and seriously kick some alien behind in Shadowgrounds Survivor, for only $5.99.
JudasIscariot: We never said that we'd stop working towards getting, or on, old classics. We simply expanded our scope to include new AND old games.
SimonG: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_search_for_game_rights_a_diaryesque_thread/post128

But this has showed us that you obviously don't consider it a priority anymore.
Why would that be, if the old abandonware-site MS-DOS classics like Hocus Pocus and Ken's Labyrinth were the goldmine that people like you suggest? Wouldn't they prioritize such a endless goldmine above everything else, especially the newer (indie) games that no one allegedly buys from GOG anyway?

SimonG: You build you trust and the userbase that made you big by resurrecting old games and bringing them to a new audience. But currently you are just living of the hype you have generated yourself. Not good enough.
No, their games still appear very much DRM-free, as far as I can tell. That's not hype.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by timppu
high rated
I am in agreement with those very unhappy about the current state of GOG. I joined GOG and have supported the site because it was doing something that no one else really was: releasing classic games legally, DRM free, and with most of the issues of running them resolved.

Somewhere along the way, however, GOG seemed to lose track of its stated purpose (it even says it right in the name: Good *OLD* Games). Somewhere in the past two years GOG decided that they really wanted to be Steam. They wanted to be a big dog and have all the latest releases and all that Steam money. Except GOG will never be Steam, and if the company continues down that path it will likely end in disaster. Steam has a near invincible lead in terms of branding, user base, catalog, and infrastructure. Look, if Electronic Arts, with it's vastly superior resources, branding, and above all exclusives compared to GOG can't take on Steam then how does GOG plan to do so? This is similar to the state of internet search: Google has such a dominant lead that even companies like Microsoft can't compete with them. How could a small time player even hope to compete unless they are doing something that no one else is? You must have a unique niche and that niche is OLD, classic games.

There are just SO many classic games that can not be bought anywhere. The late 80s and early 90s were a golden age of PC gaming. There are at least 300 classic games that GOG could release from that time and GOG doesn't have to do anything more than to acquire the rights! All of the technical work has already been done! DOSBox is one of the best pieces of software ever written. It works extremely well and most games work nearly perfectly. Why is GOG not leveraging this for all it is worth?! I just can't understand why GOG is throwing away the one thing that made it worth existing to begin with: resurrecting old games.

I hope that this is read and taken to heart by the GOG team. I want the site to succeed. I want to have tons and tons of classic games available for everyone to enjoy for all time. But, I think the GOG team needs to realize that the current situation isn't working. Please, GOG, return to your roots.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by scooney
Oh wait. Goodold Age III: Inquisition has been already released?!

Just kidding.
(Must this kind of threads appear on each release thread? ...)
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Huinehtar
ne_zavarj: Really ? Can you show me the release schedule ?
JudasIscariot: I can't, sorry. :(
Instead of giving names or even insinuating dates, the best course of action in this finger-pointing thread would be to simply say "we have lots of old classics on the way in the coming months, some of which will blow your mind"

C'mon say it :D

But seeing that old games are up to agreements and legal rights, sometimes filling in the gap with newer games and spreading out releases is how you keep folks coming back over time. I welcome newer releases. And a good new game today, is a good old game tomorrow. People just don't want their prized classics abandoned (which I know GOG will never abandon, as long as they can obtain rights).

It is, however, important to keep it 50/50 (or 60/40) in more favor of classics.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by JinseiNGC224
SimonG: Point is, you need our money more than we need you. Act like it.
Who is this "we"? You of all people talking on behalf of the "GOG community" (which you dislike so much anyway, right)?

SimonG: And using your customers to do you legwork (you already use the community for most of the tech support) is simply cheap.
Lodium: Silliest argument i ever read in my entire life.
Simon has already confessed a long time ago that he visits GOG forums anymore just in order to troll (that's why I found it hilarious he is suddenly acting as the spokesperson of common GOG users). So don't mind if you see constant double-standards from him.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by timppu
scooney: I am in agreement with those very unhappy about the current state of GOG. I joined GOG and have supported the site because it was doing something that no one else really was: releasing classic games legally, DRM free, and with most of the issues of running them resolved.

Somewhere along the way, however, GOG seemed to lose track of its stated purpose (it even says it right in the name: Good *OLD* Games). Somewhere in the past two years GOG decided that they really wanted to be Steam. They wanted to be a big dog and have all the latest releases and all that Steam money. Except GOG will never be Steam, and if the company continues down that path it will likely end in disaster. Steam has a near invincible lead in terms of branding, user base, catalog, and infrastructure. Look, if Electronic Arts, with it's vastly superior resources, branding, and above all exclusives compared to GOG can't take on Steam then how does GOG plan to do so? This is similar to the state of internet search: Google has such a dominant lead that even companies like Microsoft can't compete with them. How could a small time player even hope to compete unless they are doing something that no one else is? You must have a unique niche and that niche is OLD, classic games.

There are just SO many classic games that can not be bought anywhere. The late 80s and early 90s were a golden age of PC gaming. There are at least 300 classic games that GOG could release from that time and GOG doesn't have to do anything more than to acquire the rights! All of the technical work has already been done! DOSBox is one of the best pieces of software ever written. It works extremely well and most games work nearly perfectly. Why is GOG not leveraging this for all it is worth?! I just can't understand why GOG is throwing away the one thing that made it worth existing to begin with: resurrecting old games.

I hope that this is read and taken to heart by the GOG team. I want the site to succeed. I want to have tons and tons of classic games available for everyone to enjoy for all time. But, I think the GOG team needs to realize that the current situation isn't working. Please, GOG, return to your roots.
This!! Great post. Translates my thoughts exactly without complaining and doing it in a respectful manner!!
scooney: Somewhere along the way, however, GOG seemed to lose track of its stated purpose (it even says it right in the name: Good *OLD* Games). Somewhere in the past two years GOG decided that they really wanted to be Steam. They wanted to be a big dog and have all the latest releases and all that Steam money. Except GOG will never be Steam, and if the company continues down that path it will likely end in disaster. Steam has a near invincible lead in terms of branding, user base, catalog, and infrastructure. Look, if Electronic Arts, with it's vastly superior resources, branding, and above all exclusives compared to GOG can't take on Steam then how does GOG plan to do so? This is similar to the state of internet search: Google has such a dominant lead that even companies like Microsoft can't compete with them. How could a small time player even hope to compete unless they are doing something that no one else is? You must have a unique niche and that niche is OLD, classic games.
Two words that will allow them to compete: DRM-freedom. This will still give them prime access to a significant audience Steam is not reaching (or not as strongly).

You'll always have a base who don't want any DRM, some of whom are still interested in newer games.

Granted, they will never have the selection Steam has, but if it can get even 25% of Steam's selection under a DRM-free banner, it will be a beautiful thing.

Just do some research on internet articles and look at the comments. You'll see "GOG is DRM-free, awesome, but they only have old games!" come up quite often.

scooney: I hope that this is read and taken to heart by the GOG team. I want the site to succeed. I want to have tons and tons of classic games available for everyone to enjoy for all time. But, I think the GOG team needs to realize that the current situation isn't working. Please, GOG, return to your roots.
You realize that releasing only classics was not helping them right? By expanding their repertoire to newer games while still remaining DRM-free, they reached a previously untapped audience.

Anyways, this is where we diverge. Older classics are nice and I'll play them, but I like newer games too and I care about not having DRM more.

For me, the lack of Linux support (the only open OS alternative for gaming) is far more distressing than a lack of older releases.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Magnitus
We don't know how much GOG is trying and how much others are cooperating with GOG. And also it's not our company, so we cannot help them much anyway - and we don't need to.

What remains is only that the releases lately were a bit disappointing from the perspective of someone who doesn't like indie games so much.
Magnitus: ... Two words that will allow them to compete: DRM-freedom. This will still give them prime access to a significant audience Steam is not reaching (or not as strongly). ...
But they don't have the games (you could say seeing what is still missing). So the audience is not being feeded (with good non indie titles). While Steam according to my current feeling has the games and a huge audience that doesn't really care about DRM.

Btw. I use both services.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Trilarion
scooney: I am in agreement with those very unhappy about the current state of GOG. I joined GOG and have supported the site because it was doing something that no one else really was: releasing classic games legally, DRM free, and with most of the issues of running them resolved.

well written! my disappointment is more the statements coming from gog staff though - defining hunting for old obscure games as not their job. I am perfectly fine with the release of new games but only in addition to and not "instead of" old games
scooney: How could a small time player even hope to compete unless they are doing something that no one else is? You must have a unique niche and that niche is OLD, classic games.
And/or DRM-free gaming. If someone claims that hardly anyone cares about DRM (or DRM-free), I'm pretty sure the same could be claimed about old games. I guess that's why it is called a "niche".

Anyway, I don't quite understand the idea that you should never try to compete with the big guys. Do these ring a bell?

- IBM
- Nokia (as surprising as it may sound especially to many US folks, Nokia pretty much owned the mobile phone market worldwide, until iPhone happened in 2007 or so)
- MySpace
- Altavista
- Yahoo

etc. etc. Heck, even Microsoft is now quaking in its boots pondering whether they will be able to hold their dominant position also in the future, or see people turn more and more to other technologies. Naturally, if no one would have tried to compete with these once-kings, naturally they would have remained as kings. So if anything, GOG should be commended, not blamed, for trying to offer a real alternative to e.g. Steam.

xxxIndyxxx: This!! Great post. Translates my thoughts exactly without complaining and doing it in a respectful manner!!
Well, it was certinly one of the better posts and not the usual entitled i want this and i want that and i want it only my way whining crap.
Sorry if i sound a bit cross, just sick and tired of evrytime i go to this store there has to be always some people that sours the air.

Annyway
ontopic
What about us that are actually glad GOG went this path?
I want both Old, Indies, classics and new games, and i want it DRM free.
Where shoud i go if GoG go back to Only God old games?
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Lodium
I'm just glad they are here period. What do I give a shit what path they went down so long as it's here.
I am definitely not impressed with the route that GOG is going. Sure if you want to bring Indie's and New games into the mix then they should not count as normal releases with the good classics. Especially with the new indie submissions, do you really believe that it will not interfere with future classic releases. Here are the list of games that have released since Wizardry and the amount of wishes.

Shadowgrounds Survivor +40
Wargame EE +19
Lords of Midnight +27
Spelunky +59
Papers Please +248
Divinity Dragon Commander +63
Jack Keane +111
Rise of the Triad +132
Penumbra Collection +490, 432, 409
Amnesia Dark Descent +1382
Ittle Dew +3
Influx -lol, zero
Brutal Legend +619
Settlers 4 +728
Tzar +132
Humans must Answer +5
Ring Runner -lol, zero
Dracula 4 +3
Dracula Trilogy +25-75
Jack Keane 2 +16
LSL Reloaded +23
Rogue Legacy +29
Magrunner -zero
Pandemonium 2 +199
Jade Empire +3,387
Project Eden +127
Inherit the Earth +93
Rayman Origins +297
Expeditions Conquistador +40
Race Driver Grid +22
Night of the Rabbit +25
Chaos Overloads +92
Wizardry 6+7 +1297, 2168 (May 23)
Wizardry 8 +3250 (May 23)

So in almost three months, they only released 2 games that had over 1000 wishes....in relation they released a crap load of games that should not have even taken release slots nor was requested or barely requested.

Not too mention, how many good old classics were released since Wizardry just under three months ago? How many of these games were bundled games or games that should have counted as a slot?

Maybe GOG should have an Indie release day now, and then a new game release day and stop taking up slots for games that people truly want.

Look how many of the above games had less than 100 wishlist requests...granted a couple of them were already known to be coming to gog...Night of the Rabbit for example....

GOG keeps saying...we got lots of surprises...and they love teasing...but holy hell has their lineup been horrible for the last three months. I do not come to GOG to buy games that are in tons of bundles or that are pure crap. I mean...wtf...

It is okay to defend GOG but come on, the quality has been sucking when it comes to older games, classics. GOG Indie is great but give it its own release date....you want to release new games...then stopping punishing those who only want older, classics from GOG. DRM free is nice on some of them, but I would prefer to at least see at least one classic released per week, and preferably two. There are plenty of games out there on the wishlist with a helluva lot more votes than the crap being released right now. It is just pathetic at the moment.
Magnitus: ... Two words that will allow them to compete: DRM-freedom. This will still give them prime access to a significant audience Steam is not reaching (or not as strongly). ...
Trilarion: But they don't have the games (you could say seeing what is still missing).
You have to start somewhere. GOG has obtained some semi-new AAA titles, and the success of some DRM-free indie games on GOG may help obtaining more.

At least it wouldn't help with that objective, if they just stopped trying.
Just too clarify, i do not mind new and indie DRM free games coming to GOG...but they need to up there releases then...

1-2 New, 1-2 Indie, and 2 Classics a week...instead of just piling indie games down our throats which is what will happen soon...