It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All-new Witcher 3 gameplay trailer, pre-orders launch; GOG.com unveils GOG Galaxy, the DRM-Free Online Gaming platform!

All-new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay footage, pre-order details, and a look at the exclusive content of the collector's edition. GOG.com unveils its upcoming new project taking a next step in the DRM-Free gaming revolution. All that and more in the CD Projekt RED & GOG.com Summer Conference. Watch it right here!
Post edited June 04, 2014 by G-Doc
Gamestop has the CE up for 150 dollars.

with exclusive gamestop stuff -_-

NOT ALL VERSIONS ARE EQUAL APPARENTLY!!!! jk :P
trusteft: I hope for the client, GOG people don't listen again to the people who advised them on the previous "well received" changes.

2 days to go.
skeletonbow: Well, you got your wish! http://www.gog.com/galaxy
I am not sure how I got my wish, but thanks for replying?
GOG Galaxy is Optional

GOG/Galaxy ought bring more games to DRM-Free sites like gog.com. Publishers will appreciate the incentive to prove purchase on DRM-Free downloads (MP and Social Features require a profile, which requires a validated purchase account. The proof-of-purchase apparently being nothing more than logging in to oens gog profile.

And developers may get some useful tools (MP matchmaking, achievements and unlocks, version updating, DLC libraries, etc etc)?. If so, a boon for small and large game studios.

Galaxy is non-exclusive, it is free as in freedom. Freedom to choose retailer. Freedom to play at will with no watch-dog interference. A reversal to the monopolistic rise of steam. No gatekeeper forcing rule on us. More.

* i just hope LAN play may be done exclusive of Galaxy. That no Galaxy profile will be required for LAN muti-player.
I've been meaning for years to start up a independent PC gaming project to cater for cross-game multiplayer since Steamworks denied me several titles I really wanted to play, and I think GOG have saved me a lot of work by building Galaxy!

One thing I would like to suggest to you as a feature I was planning would be to borrow the "web of trust" concept from PGP, and to apply it to multiplayer as a way to have expansive non-friends available, yet still avoid having to deal with cheaters, which are certain unless you use DRM to prevent modifying the client software.

On opposite ends of the extremes you have Nintendo's friend lists and PC free-for-alls, and whilst it's nice to be able to trust your friends not to cheat (and you can unfriend them if they do), it's also nice to participate in a global community wider than your circle of friends, and to make new ones using it.

The concept is that you add your friend, who you trust, to your list. You then see scoreboards and matchmake with them, etc. The trick is that all the people they have added (and thus, trust not to cheat) are also available to you as if they were your friends, and all their friends, and so on. 6 degrees of separation and all that jazz.

If someone is found to be secretly cheating, you would expect their friends to unfriend them, and they would drop off the web of matchmaking and leaderboards, etc. If a group of gamers all cheat (or just mod, perhaps) and want to play multiplayer together, then fair enough, they're not hurting anybody, so they can all trust each other but no-one else will trust them, and everybody wins. Kinda like netsplits in IRC, in the sense that there can be multiple logically-separate networks running alongside each other.

There are obvious kinks to iron out (i.e. what if your friend refuses to unfriend the cheater for some reason? Do you block the cheater somehow yourself (and thus anyone from their web of trust) or do you have to unfriend your friend as you can't trust their choice of friends anymore?) I think the former would work well, personally - and it would only take a few people to do (i.e. the people that added them directly) and the cheater would drop of the web naturally, so it's self-policing.

...but yeah...worth a go, I reckon. Discuss! :)
I signed up for the beta .
saberwolfxm: Can any one sum up what the conference was about? My data throttled at the moment so I wasn,t able to watch. Not to long just some of the major ones. Thanks
fronzelneekburm: Pre-order Witcher 3 - Get lots of goodies!

Also, have a look at this sweet trailer for GOG Galaxy - The Optional Client (I really like the sound of that!)

Also, Marcin took a much-needed swipe at Steam during the presentation. *THUMBS UP*
Thanks, GoG Galaxy does seem interesting and what I read in other posts it will have achievements as well. That was one of my favorite addition from last gen. Just hope it stays optional and not to buggy. I just wonder why the went with the name galaxy? I always figured it would be called GoGworks ( like a steamworks) . That's just strange.
Licurg: I signed up for the beta .
me 2
saberwolfxm: I just wonder why the went with the name galaxy?
Because they want to connect up not just the whole world but the whole galaxy for gaming?
(They would have gone "GOG Universe" but the ping time to other galaxies is killer.)
Quick question for the blues.

Went to the Witcher 3 preorder page and saw this in the FAQ:

"Will the content of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt differ between regions based on the age ratings?
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt doesn't have its official age ratings yet, as the game is still in production. The official age ratings will be annouced closer to the launch in February 2015"

Does that mean I could end up with a cut, german only version of the Witcher3 if I preorder it from you?
OK, so far good news only.

IF the client remains optional 100%, then it is a great addition. Many people want a client and love steam for the client (I don't get them but whatever), so this new OPTIONAL client can definitely help attracting more customers and have less whining.

If GOG manages to continue adding old games and new games, this can definitely help in the long run, a lot.
LynetteC: Pre-ordered my Witcher 3 and got a couple of fair price codes ('cos I'm in the money grabbing UK!) and a code for Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition - shame I already own it!

Never mind, I'm sure Sinistar, foxworks or Sachys will help me to find it a good home. :-)
You can exercise your generous spirit here if you wish. :)
Licurg: I signed up for the beta .
WhiteElk: me 2
Me three.

By the way, did any of you who signed up for the beta get any sort of confirmation mail?
Post edited June 05, 2014 by fronzelneekburm
IAmSinistar: It's over now, here is a summary of what I gleaned from it.

Witcher 3

Release date is Feb 24, 2015 on PC, Xbox & PS

Standard boxed version comes with manual, compendium, map, soundtrack and stickers.

Collectors limited edition (pre-order only) adds polystone statue, 200-page art book, steel wolf head medallion, and steelbook game case.

Digital edition includes DRM-free game, digital artbook, bonus videos, map. Exclusive GOG edition includes extended soundtrack, comic book, concept art, detailed map, and Neverwinter Nights. Also a discount for GOG members who own previous Witchers. Mentions a "fair price" plan to give away extra games for non-US buyers, a la AOW3.

GOG loyalty discount on W3 preorder is 15% if you own one Witcher here, 20% if both.

GOG Galaxy

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

GOG's new online client and download solution.

Freedom Of Choice - You don't need to be online to play single-player. Online needed for multi-player and posting achievements.

Optional Client - Auto-updates of games. Can still download patches independently if desired, not forced to auto-update.

Cross-Play - You can multi-play with players on other services without needing to use those clients.

The Witcher Adventure Game

The Witcher Adventure Game closed beta available through GOG Galaxy.

W3 preorders come with two keys for The Witcher Adventure Game, which is not F2P but a proper game.

EDIT: Thanks to Tekkaman-James for catching the item I didn't get written down in time (the detailed map in the digital edition).
Well

- i think TW3 will not run on my PC ( not going to upgrade the hardware ) so i pass the game
- i don't need a GOG client since i'm using IDM to download my games ( also not interested in MP or cross platform gaming )
- i was expecting an announcement about more old game releases and new publishers

This conference was a letdown for me .
On the auto-update client, there needs to be one or more of the following (or it's an automatic don't use app):

1. A way to tell it not to auto-update particular games, and/or
2. It automatically doesn't apply updates that break save games until the user explicitly allows the given update, and/or
3. A way to back out to previous versions (and prevent the auto-updater from re-updating that game, so #3 is kind of a "superfeature" of #1).

The last thing I want to have is to be in the middle of an 80 hour RPG, the auto-updater applies the latest update, and my save games are now broken, and I have no way to recover from this other than replaying the first 40 hours of the game.
Maighstir: http://crowdtamers.com/about/about-trevor/marketing-maestro-for-hire has been mentioned a couple times already, but a quote from it:

This is worse news than yesterday's announcement of Bohemia pulling out of gog.
This is just speculation as I don't think there has been any official story, but ArmA used Gamespy for online multiplayer and Gamespy got shut down completely so there is no more online multiplayer. They updated the game apparently to add Steam support to it to continue to have online multiplayer via Steam, but GOG games can't rely on Steam for online multiplayer so their options are to have a multiplayer game on Steam and a single player only version of the same game on GOG. That is not viable because even though some players only want single player, many want multiplayer and people can easily buy a game expecting it to be multiplayer without reading the fine details and end up pissed off when they find out it is single player only, but available somewhere else multiplayer and wonder why no multiplayer here.

So that leaves a game company few options really. One is to just port the multiplayer matchmaking to Steamworks which is relatively trivial and that's what almost all game companies are going to do because of the low cost and ease of doing it, and the fact that Steam is the largest gaming platform out there with the largest reach. To keep the game on GOG.com with multiplayer would require them to either convince GOG to allow a game to use Steamworks for multiplayer matchmaking which probably is a no-go for GOG and for GOG gamers, or they would have to go and reengineer their own multiplayer matchmaking service /just/ for GOG.com which is a huge expense for an old game just for a fraction of their game players in all business reality.

So it actually makes sense from a business perspective for them to remove the game for sale from GOG.com for the time being at least. With the announcement of GOG Galaxy however today, once that service is actually launched, perhaps we will see the ArmA series get updated to support GOG Galaxy for multiplayer as well, and that would also allow gamers on GOG to play with gamers on Steam without having to have Steam accounts.