It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zenstar: do you consider hi scores to be manipulation?
GameRager: I myself see it as such, but to a smaller degree than achievements(shareable ones) due to there being a "barrier" to doing such(in local arcades)....i.e. one had to go to said arcade to do so, and usually could only limit bragging about such to those around him(while playing) and those who read the scores list.

Nowadays people can share achievements with everyone in the world who can read them, and can do so quite easily....so it's a more likely addiction.

zenstar: do you have an issue with the old arcades giving you 10 seconds to insert another credit while counting down, especially if they have a picture of your character / the person you're trying to rescue in peril? (i mean it's pretty obvious manipulation and it's totally tied into getting an extra coin out of you).
GameRager: I do, somewhat, for the reasons above & the fact that it's done to get more money from players.

zenstar: how do achievements elicit DLC purchase?
GameRager: They usually add more achievements to a game, and as such entice those who hunt them for the overall points/score or those who want/desire to collect more of them.

zenstar: not to mention the most played games that make the most money (looking at minecraft and fortnite here) don't use achievements as pressure at all and yet people are addicted to those two games moreso than most i've seen, and they make bucketloads of cash.
GameRager: That's because they are "free"(thus lesser barrier to playing/entry), and they use other mechanics(some even worse) to get people hooked to them.

zenstar: i just find it odd that people rail against achievements (the "external" ones) without having an issue with all the other, pretty similar hooks. i mean some people here are even ok with in game achievements, but argue against the external ones.
GameRager: You seem to be assuming(or worse, trying to paint others) as if some here have no issue with other mechanics just because we don't list them all here and how much they bother us & why....that isn't usually the case.....most here are likely trying to stick to the topic at hand(achievements) or save time by not mentioning every mechanic they dislike and why.

As for internal ones....well one cannot brag online to other as easily with those(as said before in this post by me and also by others in this thread).
==========================================

falloutttt: It's just achievements, man.
GameRager: "I don't experience issues with said achievements so they're not a problem for others or worth worrying even a bit over"

I do hope you''re joking or being silly a bit here, as the above is how you seem to be coming off to me with this bit.

========================================================

zenstar: also: it's very easy to allow cheat codes and turn off notifications when they're used. this is done a lot. loss of cheat codes has nothing to do with achievements.
GameRager: Some might want to use both, and most games disable achievements(for obvious reasons) when using ANY cheats(or even the console in some games).

zenstar: you realise that different people are triggered by different things. if rate of frequency doesn't matter then do you also suggest we do away with all chapter based games? because for a small percentage of people they need to buy all episodes if they buy the first.
what about sequels? same thing. some people buy a franchise because they must collect the franchise. so now we do away with all franchises and sequels?
GameRager: Not sequels(as most games are self contained), but imo "chapter style" games(small or large) are very iffy propositions due to companies possibly folding before all chapters/etc get released(like with Telltale) or due to poor sales of prior chapters/etc.....also not saying they should be banned with this bit, btw.

Also there you go again(as others did) with assuming banning is the only solution....there ARE more options than banning and not banning things, you know. :)

zenstar: this is why i warned of a slippery slope. if "any person being triggered into buying something" is your limit then i'm afraid we need to ban all human thought.
GameRager: Slippery slopes are often fallacies for a reason. ;)
No, that may be the first time ever I din't joke or was being silly actually. I know it's weird.

My government is selling alcohol, weed, tobacco, etc... We have gambling and pharmaceutical companies selling whatever they want, literally. Addictive drugs like candy.

And I don't really have a problem with all that. Well, except for pharmaceutical companies. People should be able to make their own choices. Not fucking government telling us what we should or shouldn't do.

But achievements seems to be a problem, an addiction in the world we live in. That's what I mean by what I said.
low rated
Sorry for interjecting, but...

After the idea of achievements as dlc was brought up...

I think it would be an ok idea to have achievements as a non-paid dlc. Download if you want them, don't... if you don't. People with addiction to achievement hunting would still have issue though.

Anyway, just thought about the idea of dlc and it was interesting in this context
kai2: Sorry for interjecting, but...

After the idea of achievements as dlc was brought up...

I think it would be an ok idea to have achievements as a non-paid dlc. Download if you want them, don't... if you don't. People with addiction to achievement hunting would still have issue though.

Anyway, just thought about the idea of dlc and it was interesting in this context
yeah, i’d be fine with that. doubt it’d help the addicts though as you say and that seems to be a large thrust of why they’re viewed as bad
low rated
I want an achievement for being intelligent enough to enjoy playing Kingmaker! lol
low rated
zenstar: i think that there should be options and settings to deal with achievements (on, off, private, public, whatnot) as you see fit. play how you want to.
Agreed.

zenstar: i think that the bad side here is overinflated, and the effects overstated.
i don't have proof though.
I agree, but I also think that some others(Not you per se) are downplaying or trying to downplay the negatives for their own reasons.

zenstar: neither do you. reddit posts are anecdotal evidence (hell, using someone's story as evidence is anecdotal by definition. unless they're an eye witness in a trial they are, unfortunately, anecdotal). memes and tropes are intentionally hyperbolic for comedic effect, and you're seeing a positive bias because people who are not adversely affected are not going to post memes or stories about how ambivalent they are.
The thing is I agree to that...both of us have no proof atm, but that doesn't mean that either of us is wholly wrong.

As for memes/tropes/etc...they usually have some truth to some of them, and such ones about achievement hunters wouldn't be a thing if it wasn't happening to some people somewhere(i.e. they likely have some basis of truth to them).

zenstar: so we're at a point where some believe in their gut that achievements are bad. and some believe they are not. but neither side can prove anything unless someone can post a link to a study done on this (omg i would love to read a study on this) but afaik there is no such study.
I did post one such example....I forget the name but some guy had 500K xbox gamerscore(on 360) and was buying/playing ANY games to get the points total higher....and that's just one example.

zenstar: so i'd like to sum up here: i don't begrudge you your opinion, but please realise that largely we've been discussing purely opinion here. none of us have objective facts here (and if you do have objective facts then link them).
You could try looking up the guy I just mentioned above...I forget the name but it shouldn't be too hard to find...though if you still cannot find it let me know. :)

zenstar: thanks for the chats
And to you as well. :)

zenstar: (now watch my previous long post that would go through will double post and spam everyone with my stupid garbage -_- )
I always copy and paste posts to a notepad and save them there as I go along in replying to them to avoid losing progress....maybe that would work for you as well?

==============================================

rjbuffchix: Good points. I guess I would just rather people be creative on their own, or amongst each other, than led by the developer. I welcome fan-made challenges (like finishing with a low-level character, etc), so really my hope would be to have gamers talking more amongst each other about stuff like this. Preferably on message boards just like this one!
Eh, either way works for me.....but fair points. :)

rjbuffchix: And I echo your other comment praising the amount of civil discussion. This topic has been a winner.
This :)
==============================================

richlind33: What's the point of joining a discussion if you're not going to read for comprehension? Or better still, what's the point of reading if you're not going to read for comprehension? lol
I note that you are still avoiding replying to that post I made to you from before. Are you genuinely not getting what I meant by it or are you trying to avoid having to answer it? ;)
=============================================

falloutttt: But achievements seems to be a problem, an addiction in the world we live in. That's what I mean by what I said.
Fair enough and thanks for clarifying your positions on that. :)
Post edited February 22, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
richlind33: What's the point of joining a discussion if you're not going to read for comprehension? Or better still, what's the point of reading if you're not going to read for comprehension? lol
GameRager: I note that you are still avoiding replying to that post I made to you from before. Are you genuinely not getting what I meant by it or are you trying to avoid having to answer it? ;)
My reply is what you replied to. lol
zenstar: so we're at a point where some believe in their gut that achievements are bad. and some believe they are not. but neither side can prove anything unless someone can post a link to a study done on this (omg i would love to read a study on this) but afaik there is no such study.
GameRager: I did post one such example....I forget the name but some guy had 500K xbox gamerscore(on 360) and was buying/playing ANY games to get the points total higher....and that's just one example.

zenstar: so i'd like to sum up here: i don't begrudge you your opinion, but please realise that largely we've been discussing purely opinion here. none of us have objective facts here (and if you do have objective facts then link them).
GameRager: You could try looking up the guy I just mentioned above...I forget the name but it shouldn't be too hard to find...though if you still cannot find it let me know. :)
yeah. i might not know the exact guy you're talking about but i've followed a few achievement hunters who've been pushing crazy scores before and i occasionally use an achievement hunter site (mostly because it has a lot of interesting stats) and there are articles about "quickest game finishes in this week's sale" etc.
Obviously people do go out of their way to inflate their achievement score. I don't deny that at all.

The only thing is i am yet to be convinced it's any more than hobby level enthusiasm.
I know many hobbies that cost a lot of money and i've seen people spend large amounts of money on things i think are silly, but it makes them happy and it wasn't detrimental to them. they didn't put themselves into debt or skip food to afford things or anything silly like that. when a hobby crosses into obsession then it's time to worry. but just because a hobby costs a lot of money and time doesn't make it instantly bad.

hell, i personally have spent a lot of time gaming. more than the average gamer i'd guess. and spent more money on a backlog that i have yet to work through than the average gamer (again i'd guess). but i wouldn't say that it was an unhealthy obsession for me. it's my hobby and i enjoy spending time and money on it.
zenstar: (now watch my previous long post that would go through will double post and spam everyone with my stupid garbage -_- )
GameRager: I always copy and paste posts to a notepad and save them there as I go along in replying to them to avoid losing progress....maybe that would work for you as well?
yeah. might have to start doing that
zenstar: but i wouldn't say that it was an unhealthy obsession for me. it's my hobby and i enjoy spending time and money on it.
I just want to quickly point out that that's an important point. Mental health is a complex topic and there are shades between a completely unaffected individual and an addict whose life is completely ruined by his addiction. It doesn't necenssarily have to be about extreme edge cases (though I don't want to disregard them, either). Could just be someone changing his gaming behaviour without having fun but out of compulsion. And that's not a dramatic case, but still unfortunate and unnecessary. Which is why achievements-as-DLC would help. Maybe not in 100% of cases, but just the chance to opt out and minimize exposure would absolutely make a difference. And from what I can tell at first glance, that model wouldn't take anything away from players who genuinely enjoy achievement systems, so this should be a win/win for the consumer.
low rated
richlind33: My reply is what you replied to. lol
And that's all I wanted...was that so hard? ;)
=========================================================

zenstar: The only thing is i am yet to be convinced it's any more than hobby level enthusiasm.
When one starts spending big amount of money on games they dislike to pump up said scores then it is somewhat of an addiction AND a slight detriment, imo.

zenstar: I know many hobbies that cost a lot of money and i've seen people spend large amounts of money on things i think are silly, but it makes them happy and it wasn't detrimental to them. they didn't put themselves into debt or skip food to afford things or anything silly like that. when a hobby crosses into obsession then it's time to worry. but just because a hobby costs a lot of money and time doesn't make it instantly bad.
That still doesn't mean(if you are inferring or alluding to such) that nothing should be done until it's near too late/too late, though.

zenstar: hell, i personally have spent a lot of time gaming. more than the average gamer i'd guess. and spent more money on a backlog that i have yet to work through than the average gamer (again i'd guess). but i wouldn't say that it was an unhealthy obsession for me. it's my hobby and i enjoy spending time and money on it.
That is subjective....to a good number of non-gamers, what we do is a bit bad for us. Of course to US it seems ok as we enjoy it and cannot be as un-biased about viewing ourselves and our own actions, which is why other people's views on such(if weighed carefully) are often helpful in some such regards(in general).

zenstar: yeah. might have to start doing that
Yeah, I do it many times here(on forum games and more important/longer posts). Yeah, one cannot easily add brackets/formatting in notepads/etc, but I can(and do) just add that stuff in once I paste it to a posting window anyways. :)
Post edited February 22, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
zenstar: but i wouldn't say that it was an unhealthy obsession for me. it's my hobby and i enjoy spending time and money on it.
lolplatypus: I just want to quickly point out that that's an important point. Mental health is a complex topic and there are shades between a completely unaffected individual and an addict whose life is completely ruined by his addiction. It doesn't necenssarily have to be about extreme edge cases (though I don't want to disregard them, either). Could just be someone changing his gaming behaviour without having fun but out of compulsion. And that's not a dramatic case, but still unfortunate and unnecessary. Which is why achievements-as-DLC would help. Maybe not in 100% of cases, but just the chance to opt out and minimize exposure would absolutely make a difference. And from what I can tell at first glance, that model wouldn't take anything away from players who genuinely enjoy achievement systems, so this should be a win/win for the consumer.
this is all fair.
and i'm all for appropriate privacy options and toggles to turn things on and off.
and i understand some people are badly affected and i agree they need help and these sorts of options would at least be a little something.

the bit i disagree with is saying achievements are makes games or gaming bad. i don't think they are bad, although i totally acknowledge some people are badly affected by them.

does that make sense? maybe it's a picky point, but like chocolate bars aren't bad, but when someone get obese because they're constantly eating them then they're bad for that person, that person needs help, but that doesn't make chocolate bars bad. that's kinda my angle here.
and yes, i'm for appropriate notifications on chocolate bars like amount of sugar etc. and if a study is done and it says there needs to be a notification saying "contains possibly addictive achievements" on the back then i'd think that was overkill, but i'd be ok with that.

zenstar: The only thing is i am yet to be convinced it's any more than hobby level enthusiasm.
GameRager: When one starts spending big amount of money on games they dislike to pump up said scores then it is somewhat of an addiction AND a slight detriment, imo.
depends on levels, but yes. i fully agree some people are obsessed beyond what's healthy. i'd still say most achievement hunters are in the hobby level though. and they may be playing games they dislike (some do, a lot don't even for easy points). but then they are doing something they like - getting achievements. like you might not like running on the treadmill in the gym but you like being healthy or the feel of having worked out.

but ultimately those are my subjective opinions / anecdotes. it'd take a psychologist or whatever to make these judgements. i've also seen at least a couple of these guys who've turned achievement hunting into a job. not sure where that fits into the whole hierarchy of things. when you turn you obsession into a job does it become a bit healthier?
zenstar: I know many hobbies that cost a lot of money and i've seen people spend large amounts of money on things i think are silly, but it makes them happy and it wasn't detrimental to them. they didn't put themselves into debt or skip food to afford things or anything silly like that. when a hobby crosses into obsession then it's time to worry. but just because a hobby costs a lot of money and time doesn't make it instantly bad.
GameRager: That still doesn't mean(if you are inferring or alluding to such) that nothing should be done until it's near too late/too late, though.
nah. i'm all for someone looking into it and getting a better picture. my current opinion is one thing, but that doesn't mean i'm right. nor does it mean i don't want the full picture / all the details. and once we've got those details we can do the right thing, whatever that may be.
zenstar: hell, i personally have spent a lot of time gaming. more than the average gamer i'd guess. and spent more money on a backlog that i have yet to work through than the average gamer (again i'd guess). but i wouldn't say that it was an unhealthy obsession for me. it's my hobby and i enjoy spending time and money on it.
GameRager: That is subjective....to a good number of non-gamers, what we do is a bit bad for us. Of course to US it seems ok as we enjoy it and cannot be as un-biased about viewing ourselves and our own actions, which is why other people's views on such(if weighed carefully) are often helpful in some such regards(in general).
other people's views, if they are a neutral 3rd party and have appropriate expertise.
back when i was a kid video games were instant "geeky stupid kids things" and if you played them in any real amount it was instantly unhealthy. nowadays the views are very very different, but there are still a lot of those old views around (just look at the US government making videos saying violent games cause mass shooters for example).
Post edited February 22, 2020 by zenstar
low rated
IMHO the main issue here is:

Are games made for adults or children?

If they are made for adults, adults should be responsible for their own actions. For instance: we don't end all gambling simply because some people have gambling addiction.

If games are made for children, children are relatively easily influenced and should have some level of "protection" from outside influences. For example: video game ratings systems and / or age requirements.

IMO the biggest problem with dlc, microtransactions, loot boxes -- and to a lesser degree achievements -- is that they are often made to attract / influence children. As an adult I can choose not to participate, but children -- for many reasons -- can find simply backing away from a game problematic (ie Fortnite).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. No real answer though.
Post edited February 22, 2020 by kai2
zenstar: the bit i disagree with is saying achievements are makes games or gaming bad. i don't think they are bad, although i totally acknowledge some people are badly affected by them.

does that make sense? .
Absolutely. And I don't know whether I would agree that they universally make games worse for everyone. I know they do for me, but I'm also quite affected by them. I know many people aren't (at least not to that degree) and in those cases I could see the benefits.
low rated
richlind33: My reply is what you replied to. lol
GameRager: And that's all I wanted...was that so hard? ;)
Remember that bozo that was on Oprah about 20 years ago, who wrote a NY Times bestseller called Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus? lol
Post edited February 22, 2020 by richlind33
zenstar: the bit i disagree with is saying achievements are makes games or gaming bad. i don't think they are bad, although i totally acknowledge some people are badly affected by them.

does that make sense? .
lolplatypus: Absolutely. And I don't know whether I would agree that they universally make games worse for everyone. I know they do for me, but I'm also quite affected by them. I know many people aren't (at least not to that degree) and in those cases I could see the benefits.
ah, then we are probably largely agreed. my main issue with this topic has been the claim that it universally makes games bad.
i don't see them as universally good either, like all mechanics in games they don't always fit and they need to be implemented properly to be beneficial otherwise they're forgettable.

i will admit to being proud of achieving some rare achievements though. not to show off, but simply to know that you're a select group of 5% of people who actually managed to <insert achievement here - i dunno, steal the monkey from the pirate>. and one of the reasons i play games is for a sense of achievement (not the only reason, but one of them)
low rated

does that make sense? .
lolplatypus: Absolutely. And I don't know whether I would agree that they universally make games worse for everyone. I know they do for me, but I'm also quite affected by them. I know many people aren't (at least not to that degree) and in those cases I could see the benefits.
You too, well I'll tell you a story as to why I absolutely hate them

I had just finished half life 2 (days before achievements were added)
had also finished HL2 episode 1 (a day before achievements were added)
was halfway into epsiode 2 and that day I saw a blank silver square and I said "OH GOD NO THEY DIDN'T DID THEY!"

I said "Tell me they didn't add what I think they added, Not F#cking achievements"

So I exited the game and saw achievements for the 2 and a half games I'd just FINISHED and I YELLED "YOU MOTHERF#CKERING C#NTS"

I was ultra mega p!ssed and I still am.

Thing is I did all those things that were now achievements that meant that I'd have to go back through 2 and a half games and start the whole game again and I didn't want to!
Post edited February 23, 2020 by fr33kSh0w2012