It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"Malice" by, um... John Gwynne. In the past few years there seems to be a surge of more action-oriented fantasy (that is, getting away from bloated world-building and focusing on moving the story). So far I would put this in the same category, along with Abercrombie, Weeks, Daglish, Sullivan.

"The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Even though I'm halfway through "The Vampire Lestat" in my crusade to read all the vampire books, I had the urge to start this one too.
I'm currently reading The name of the wind and Leviathan wakes
Re-reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time in over a decade; I'm somewhat more than halfway through The Two Towers currently.
Started on the third book of the Wheel of Time series, The Dragon Reborn. I didn't like the second book as much as the first. I hope the third one is better.
I postponed the French literature thing and have already gotten halfway through Deux Ex - The Icarus Effect.

Very enjoyable read, including an orange-soda drinking badass :-D
jjsimp: Started on the third book of the Wheel of Time series, The Dragon Reborn. I didn't like the second book as much as the first. I hope the third one is better.
A warning, some of the books drag on for far too long. I have read up to the 10th or 11th book, that was a couple years ago though I intend to read the final ones as well (just missing the last one).
I gave up on "Malice". Perhaps I'll return to it someday.

So now I'm reading "The Once And Future King", along with the million other books I'm always slogging my way through.
The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy) by Brent Weeks.
jjsimp: Started on the third book of the Wheel of Time series, The Dragon Reborn. I didn't like the second book as much as the first. I hope the third one is better.
I think the first six were all great. It goes off the rails for awhile from 7 through 11. The last books written by Sanderson were all great considering he had to wrap up too many loose ends.
Post edited April 28, 2014 by Tooms
Tooms: I think the first six were all great. It goes off the rails for awhile from 7 through 11. The last books written by Sanderson were all great considering he had to wrap up too many loose ends.
I'm really enjoying the third book, and the second book was great until they got to Falme towards the end of the book with the Seanchen and a'dam. Just anything to do with the city bored me to tears...and then he rushed the ending.
Post edited April 28, 2014 by jjsimp
Cavalary: Now this is interesting, an article about the French series that inspired Martin to write A Song of Ice and Fire.
Ouch, that hurt. People who complained about Star Wars prequels / Batfleck / whatnot, I understand you now.

It looks like there were three paths to geekdom in the 90s, one for the privileged, through videogames, one through bad translations of Tolkien, and one through historical novels. It really pains me to see Druon's novels released with Martin's tongue-in-cheek endorsement, and the article about Druon illustrated with screencaps from Game of Thrones.

there are strikingly similar casts - a feeble but sadistic prince (Louis in the French book, Joffrey in Martin's) a vengeful princess (Isabella, Cersei), and competing Machiavellian schemers (Robert of Artois, Littlefinger). With both writers, the reader navigates the complicated plot through the viewpoints of less powerful figures, caught up in the wake of events.
That's bullshit through and through.

For starters, Druon's Louis is an adult, the first in a line of stupid, weak-willed, self-absorbed kings; he isn't more feeble or sadistic than three of four subsequent kings. Druon's Isabella is a queen oppressed by her royal husband's greedy lover and his pimp father; a dutiful and chaste wife who gave birth to a bunch of legitimate children, driven to desperation and threatened with murder, she flees to France and comes back leading a revolt against the English king. Literally, the plot kicks off with another character exploiting her prudishness.

Robert of Artois is THE hero (hur hur) of the series, so much that the series ends with his death, Druon writes an eulogy for him, and the final volume, written 17 years after the main sequence, is basically one guy recounting historical events with an occasional snarky comment. Everyone's a schemer in the books, and one might even argue Robert is THE schemer, but he's also THE everyone else - the warrior, the diplomat, the gallant knight, the boorish braggart, the chaste romantic lover, the sexy lover, the murderer, the adventurer, etc. And there's absolutely no mystery to his goals: he wants Artois, fullstop.

And while I understand that's true for Martin, too, most characters are powerful active participants in the events, but it's not even remotely remarkable either in epic historical novels or in fantasy - in fact, it's so unremarkable that people single out the instances where it doesn't happen, perhaps citing The Hidden Fortress as possible inspiration. Only one character might be described as an innocent victim "caught up in the wake of events", and she stands out so much as a showcase "look what brutal middle ages do to pure innocent maidens" test dummy it's annoying.

TL;DR whoever wrote that article is an illiterate, ignorant, filler-content-generating web-2.0 asshole. This picture illustrates my thoughts on the matter like nothing else.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by Starmaker
This thread.

I'll let myself out...
"Half a King" by Joe Abercrombie. Because I get to review it. Whoo!
Second book of the Night Angel trilogy - Shadow's Edge. If you ever wanted to be an Assassin with magic powers then this book is for you.
Post edited May 03, 2014 by Matruchus