It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AndreeaB: I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time and it has not been as good as everyone is saying. In really struggling to get throw it
I read the first book and the third one and I stopped there and didn't feel bad about it. The whole story just didn't resonate with me at all. And Quidditch is one of the dumbest fictitious sports ever created.
greeklover: Started reading the witcher books in the suggested order. Finished "The Last Wish" in 2 days and currently reading "Sword of Destiny". I don't generally read fantasy but find them very enjoyable. I should mention that English isn't my first language and I have some difficulties with the vocabulary used, but it isn't a big obstacle.
Im.in the middle of Last Wish right now.
I'm channeling my younger years, after finding a couple of the Robert Asprin "Myth Adventures" collections. Volumes One and Two cover a dozen books so these will keep me occupied for a short bit.

I'll start on another Elmore Leonard book for my upcoming trip Wednesday. Quick reads while traveling.
The novelization of behind the green door.
WhiteElk: We got "What are you Listening to?" And probably got "What are you Playing?".

So, What are you Reading?

Order in Chaos by Jack Whyte
Book three of the Templar Trilogy
this message
AndreeaB: I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time and it has not been as good as everyone is saying. In really struggling to get throw it
andysheets1975: I read the first book and the third one and I stopped there and didn't feel bad about it. The whole story just didn't resonate with me at all. And Quidditch is one of the dumbest fictitious sports ever created.
Wow, thanks for telling me that because I felt so weird for not liking since all my friends love this series.
To me this book is so bland that i think that the movie is way better then the book.
Usually I’m reading several books in parallel.

I’m re-reading Blowback by Chalmers Johnson at the moment and am going to continue with the other two books of his American Empire trilogy, The Sorrows of Empire and Nemesis.

And I’m reading a new translation and revision of whole works of the Strugatsky Brothers, who are most famous for their novel Roadside Picnic (The book the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series is very loosely based on, plus a rather famous Tarkowsky movie from the 1970’s, called Stalker). The collected works of the Strugatskys will keep me busy for a while with the 6 volumes of about 800 to 1000 pages each, and two additional books that aren’t included in the collection for some mysterious reason (The Land of Crimson Clouds, Space Apprentice and Destination Amalthea).

And as a third ongoing project, I’m reading Snorri’s Edda and the Poetic Edda.

All that stuff will keep me busy for a while ;)

takezodunmer2005: Reading Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenent white gold wielder series again, though I'm only on the first book of a 6-book saga! I should finish the Gap series as I never did...
I remember reading the first volume a long time ago, and I loved it. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere. I need to get the whole series and give it a shot again.
Post edited May 09, 2017 by 4-vektor
Apart from the witcher books, I'm also reading "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz. It may be old but it's one of the best self development books out there.
4-vektor: Usually I’m reading several books in parallel.

I’m re-reading Blowback by Chalmers Johnson at the moment and am going to continue with the other two books of his American Empire trilogy, The Sorrows of Empire and Nemesis.

And I’m reading a new translation and revision of whole works of the Strugatsky Brothers, who are most famous for their novel Roadside Picnic (The book the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game series is very loosely based on, plus a rather famous Tarkowsky movie from the 1970’s, called Stalker). The collected works of the Strugatskys will keep me busy for a while with the 6 volumes of about 800 to 1000 pages each, and two additional books that aren’t included in the collection for some mysterious reason (The Land of Crimson Clouds, Space Apprentice and Destination Amalthea).

And as a third ongoing project, I’m reading Snorri’s Edda and the Poetic Edda.

All that stuff will keep me busy for a while ;)

takezodunmer2005: Reading Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenent white gold wielder series again, though I'm only on the first book of a 6-book saga! I should finish the Gap series as I never did...
4-vektor: I remember reading the first volume a long time ago, and I loved it. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere. I need to get the whole series and give it a shot again.
For a "Lite" read you might want to pick up "The mirror of her dreams" it's only a two-part series, but you'll absolutely devour it, I did!...And yeah, I'm re-purchasing all my old favorites via amazon kimble/digital as too many books while nice, is still just dead wieght!
Master and Margarita. After that in line is Heinleins Stranger in a strange land.

Previously read Roadside picnic.
finished the witcher's second in the suggested order book "Sword of Destiny" and let me tell you
I find both Yennefer and Ciri very annoying
A woman that can magically read my thoughts? - no thanks jeff
A girl that's all about "I'm your destiny bla bla bla" - 360 turn + moonwalk away
greeklover: finished the witcher's second in the suggested order book "Sword of Destiny" and let me tell you
I find both Yennefer and Ciri very annoying
A woman that can magically read my thoughts? - no thanks jeff
A girl that's all about "I'm your destiny bla bla bla" - 360 turn + moonwalk away
Yup. All the girls he likes are flawed somehow. On the other hand, he is also flawed (maybe that is what makes him fancy women so out of the common). The consequence is that his relationships do not last. Therefore he has a number of ex lovers he is fond of, or that drove him nuts, often both.

The theme is: He is different and (mostly) a loner and slowly obsolescing in a changing world. Then, his friends are a bit on the weird side. Happiness is elusive, although they have their moments. Work well done is a need, and has not much to do with happiness for him.

In this respect, a bit in the vein of, say, John Constantine from Hellblazer.
Getting ready to start the fourth book in the Alex Verus series. I'm finding it hard to not sit down with all the ones left and not move until I'm done. Fantastic series. Wish I had discovered it sooner, for me it's right up there with Kevin Hearne and Jim Butcher.

edit to say it's written by Benedict Jacka
Post edited May 11, 2017 by jadeblackhawk
I'm currently reading Phantastes by George MacDonald. I love classic fantasy so this book is ideal for me. It's lyrical, it touches on important themes, and it has fairies!
German translation of "Solaris" by Stanisław Lem.