It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HereForTheBeer: Just finished "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson. Very interesting premise that takes you on three distinct journeys of speculation. I liked it, though it's not his best stuff.
I really enjoyed that one, but I just hope he continues the story, as it's obviously set up for a sequel or sequels. At least, I thought the ending was quite abrupt and got the feeling he planned on more.
HereForTheBeer: Just finished "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson. Very interesting premise that takes you on three distinct journeys of speculation. I liked it, though it's not his best stuff.
GR00T: ...but I just hope he continues the story, as it's obviously set up for a sequel or sequels. At least, I thought the ending was quite abrupt and got the feeling he planned on more.
I feel the same way, and he really set things up to expand on the setting laid out in the final third of the story. Even if there had not been a lot of details left hanging, it still feels like there are a lot of things yet to explore.
Reading Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenent white gold wielder series again, though I'm only on the first book of a 6-book saga! I should finish the Gap series as I never did...
Post edited May 04, 2017 by takezodunmer2005
takezodunmer2005: Reading Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenent white gold wielder series again, though I'm only on the first book of a 6-book saga! I should finish the Gap series as I never did...
It's actually 10 books, not 6. :)
F4LL0UT: Ender's Game
Dune Messiah
Like Reever said, it was pretty clear, albeit frustrating (as Frank Herbert wanted it to be): He had been exploring the future, and all the avenues of time that came after he decided NOT to fall for the trap ended up way worse. He did not like it, but he felt he had to choose the lesser evil.

Actually, he had been preparing the second and third books as he was writing DUNE. He wanted to depict the whole cycle of a messiah-prophet in different stages of his life. They are good once you realize they are not DUNE and accept them on their own terms. I came to realize that in my second reading of the series. Then I got to like even God Emperor of Dune, that had disappointed me the most when I was still looking for another DUNE. That said, Heretics of Dune is very dynamic and maybe the most entertaining one after Dune.

About the Butlerian Jihad, maybe you have found the reference in the author of Erewhon (not that very hard to spot). The author of the unauthorized, noncanon Encyclopaedia of Dune just made it up with some makeup story... That Herbert's son picked up! One of many affronts, sadly.
Tallima: Im 100 pages into the last wish. So far, it's been a good read. I got sword of destiny and blood of elves for Christmas, too. But now I am beginning to get confused of where I'm at in Witcher 3 and in the books.
Hi there. I am in the second book now. I heard that The Witcher games were set AFTER the last book. With plenty of hints to the readers that are optional but give you more if you actually read the books. Is that not the case with TW3?
Post edited May 04, 2017 by Carradice
Celton88: How does that compare to the Chanur Saga? I loved that series, but didn't like the Faded Sun trilogy at all. I kept waiting for the book to pick up the pacing, but it never did.
GR00T: It's (Downbelow) actually part of the same universe as Chanur, although I believe the time line is before the events of Chanur. This is the formation of the Union/Alliance setting that split humanity into three factions: the Union, the Merchanter's Alliance, and Old Earth (if memory serves, Tully was Earth).

It's much better than the Faded Sun series (but Faded Sun was an earlier work of Cherryh's, I believe, so she was still getting her groove).

Honestly though, the Chanur series is probably my favorite of hers and one of my favorite sci-fi series of all time. But Downbelow is certainly worth checking out. If you enjoy it, you should also look at the Cyteen series as well as 40,000 in Gehenna and Merchanter's Luck.
Make yourself a favor and do not miss Merchanter's Luck and then the excellent Rimrunners. Union/Alliance books are worth reading in their writing order.

Rimrunners is not only good science fiction and very entertaining. It is a great book on what maturity means, the time when you have left the first youth behind, in the flesh and in the soul. Probably one of Cherry's best books, and my favourite on par with Downbelow's Station.
Carradice: Make yourself a favor and do not miss Merchanter's Luck and then the excellent Rimrunners. Union/Alliance books are worth reading in their writing order.

Rimrunners is not only good science fiction and very entertaining. It is a great book on what maturity means, the time when you have left the first youth behind, in the flesh and in the soul. Probably one of Cherry's best books, and my favourite on par with Downbelow's Station.
Well, now you've just opened up a whole can of worms. Because then, you'd need to read Heavy Time, Hellburner, Tripoint, and Finity's End as well... :P
Carradice: Hi there. I am in the second book now. I heard that The Witcher games were set AFTER the last book. With plenty of hints to the readers that are optional but give you more if you actually read the books. Is that not the case with TW3?
I'm in the second book now too. But I may have to restart because I took a few week break and can't remember what's going on.

As far as I can tell, the game takes place after the books. But when you are reading stories and playing stories in the same world with the same characters, it can throw you. (well, it can throw me ☺️)

They are excellent books.
takezodunmer2005: Reading Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenent white gold wielder series again, though I'm only on the first book of a 6-book saga! I should finish the Gap series as I never did...
GR00T: It's actually 10 books, not 6. :)
Holy shit, you're right (Went to re-purchase it) it has been more than twenty years since I read it, the last time I completed it was on the sixth book, I never got around to the others as I was in the middle of the"gap" series and still waiting 'til that was concluded...Then I got into gaming, and that's all she wrote!
Post edited May 04, 2017 by takezodunmer2005
Carradice: Make yourself a favor and do not miss Merchanter's Luck and then the excellent Rimrunners. Union/Alliance books are worth reading in their writing order.

GR00T: Well, now you've just opened up a whole can of worms. Because then, you'd need to read Heavy Time, Hellburner, Tripoint, and Finity's End as well... :P
Indeed! Sorry, the comment would have been more properly addressed to Celton88. You already know the books, of course! :) I am looking forward to Cyteen and the rest, but got stuck with 14.000 in Gehenna, after the azis start bearing (free) children. I know much good awaits, so I will have to give it a try again...

Edit: I read The Angel with the Sword as well. Nice, although more of a sidequel to Union/Alliance, don't you think?

Carradice: Hi there. I am in the second book now. I heard that The Witcher games were set AFTER the last book. With plenty of hints to the readers that are optional but give you more if you actually read the books. Is that not the case with TW3?
Tallima: I'm in the second book now too. But I may have to restart because I took a few week break and can't remember what's going on.

As far as I can tell, the game takes place after the books. But when you are reading stories and playing stories in the same world with the same characters, it can throw you. (well, it can throw me ☺️)

They are excellent books.
Yes, they are. They deal with mature themes: loss, taking hard decisions, prejudices. Nothing is easy for Geralt. The first tale was OK--an example of his routine. The second got me: best subversion of classic tales ever (princessess in towers! Snow White!!). The stories of Geralt and his mates feel like meeting good old battered friends.

A friend from the States told me years ago that her absolute favourite in fantasy books (and she is an educated fan) is none other than Elvenblood. I have great expectations for that one. And the way to get there.
Post edited May 04, 2017 by Carradice
Carradice: Edit: I read The Angel with the Sword as well. Nice, although more of a sidequel to Union/Alliance, don't you think?
Yeah, definitely. It's very isolated from the actual universe it's set in. A good series though, although Cherryh only wrote the first one.
A Perfect Union of Contrary Things, Sarah Jensen with Maynard James Keenan
I'm reading Harry Potter for the first time and it has not been as good as everyone is saying. In really struggling to get throw it
Started reading the witcher books in the suggested order. Finished "The Last Wish" in 2 days and currently reading "Sword of Destiny". I don't generally read fantasy but find them very enjoyable. I should mention that English isn't my first language and I have some difficulties with the vocabulary used, but it isn't a big obstacle.
Carradice: Like Reever said, it was pretty clear, albeit frustrating (as Frank Herbert wanted it to be): He had been exploring the future, and all the avenues of time that came after he decided NOT to fall for the trap ended up way worse. He did not like it, but he felt he had to choose the lesser evil.
Well, I still feel like Paul's behaviour was unjustified. It's been a few months now and I don't recall all the details but from what I remember Paul chose to step into a certain trap when the solution to the problem, that anyone with his knowledge would have chosen, was obvious. I do understand why he acted the way he did after going blind, that's obvious since his sense of the future allowed him to see so sticking to the future he knew was the only way not to actually go fully blind. However, I don't remember seeing a legitimate explanation for why he should willingly step into that trap that ultimately took his eyes. Feel free to enlighten me, though.

But let me be clear: I still think that it's all in all a pretty good book and I do appreciate the direction Herbert chose for Dune's sequel. It was ballsy and even brilliant to destroy Paul like this, to show that he was in fact quite powerless compared to the entity that the finale of Dune gave us.

Anyway, finished reading Revelation Space which was pretty great. I was slightly let down by the fact that the answer to the big mystery at the book's core wasn't something that would really blow me away and question every decision I've made in life thus far but admittedly the reason may be that I've read it too late, after having seen similar things in other works and read too much about the Fermi paradox and stuff. Regardless, it was an excellent read and I'm very eager to read more by Alastair Reynolds.

Another book I recently finished reading was Dracula. I kinda regret having watched Coppola's adaptation before reading the original as it obviously spoiled the book for me but still, it was quite an interesting experience to read this classic and witness the original vampire story first-hand. The main characters were somewhat disappointing, with all of them being perfectly kind and noble people so there was pretty much no conflict between them at all, but the vampire mythos created there and the events that unfolded were pretty amazing.