It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

grimwerk: Apart from that, I recently finished all eleven Hornblower books. I don't need to recommend them, I think. They're well regarded.
justanoldgamer: I've been meaning to read those for the longest time.
Consider skimming through a list of nautical terms first. Even better would be a list of nautical terms specific to the Hornblower books, if you can find that. It's not necessary, but I think it'd make the already terrific books more satisfying. I'd recommend this to my past self if I could!
Das Geheimnis der Runen, aus Guido von List.

The secret king, by Karl Maria Wiligut.
Post edited November 12, 2015 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Im reading Jason Dark´s "John Sinclair" books, which are horror stories.
Oh, and Im STILL reading the "Game of Thrones" books...after having almost finished a book I stop...after a couple of months I reread the book up to the last third and stop...and again and again and again... :(
I'm reading Roadside Picnic right now, after reading the Metro/Witcher books I've decided I really enjoy Russian/Eastern European authors.

Hope to read Futu.re soon.
Right now the Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle and James MacDonald. I figure I'll probably finish it tonight and by Star Wars Rise of the Empire Anthology is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Finished "Dragon Princess" by S Andrew Swann. Was hesitant to read a comedic fantasy by someone who typically writes science fiction, but it's really good, finished it in two days despite not having any time to read (who needs sleep right?!). Have the second one, "Dragon Thief," on it's way to me now.
Currently reading Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend. I picked this up as a result of a suggestion by a friend of mine over coffee last week. There are three of us that meet every two weeks for coffee and just discuss whatever for a couple hours. We all used to work in the same bookstore, and one of them was the manager of that store. She's dying of cancer and part of her coping mechanism is meeting for coffee with me and our other friend and just sharing some laughs and talking about whatever. Anyway, I digress. This book series (the Neapolitan Quartet) was mentioned during our last coffee meeting and I decided to give it a go. The author can really write. Very obvious even through the Italian-to-English translation.
Finished Dean Koontz Frankenstein(all parts), Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis, the Dark Tower by Stephen King (completing the series) in the previous month.

Reading The Truth: An uncormfortable book about relationships by Neil Strauss (whom I know), a fairly interesting read so far and acts as a sequel to the game in a sense. I can relate to everything that he says about monogamous relationships where you end up feeling stifled and eventually start to resent your lover or she starts to resent you.
Lionel212008: snip

... The Truth: An uncormfortable book about relationships by Neil Strauss (whom I know), a fairly interesting read so far and acts as a sequel to the game in a sense. ...
Thanks for putting this on my radar. Based on the reviews on AMZ I have to ask you to comment further when you finish it please. There is clearly a narrative arc of internal growth intended, despite its self-biographic nature - which can seem somewhat constructed, though I hope isn't - for the author's sake above anything else really... You see, already with The Game I wondered where the line between reality and fiction was to be found - and I don't mean at the level of basic facts, but of "gaming" the narrative sequence, the frames, the flow of events, the ressonance... Hence would be curious how self-honest you consider Strauss and his approach to writing. For now wishlisting.

What you think of the Kafka by the way? It's been a while I read it but it's a failry unique book...
Well, right now I'm reading 20,000 leagues under the sea. And I still don't understand who captain Nemo is.
While I do know Strauss, being that we are both journalists and it was through him that I got in touch with Mystery. Do keep in mind that I have never actually met either of them in person. Strauss seems to have a more pragmatic mindset while Mystery is someone I find to be extremely profound as an individual. Albeit he does seem to carry his fair share of baggage.
I'll leave my comments about Strauss once I finish the book. For the record; I have dabbled in the game myself.

As for Kafka, his style of writing is lucid and draws the reader in quickly to an seemingly unlikely sequence of events.I throughly enjoyed the story, despite it being grim and forlorn. It is an interesting allegory on being an outsider and the precarious nature of human existence. Something that I can relate to.

I intend to read the castle and some of Kafka's other works as well.

... The Truth: An uncormfortable book about relationships by Neil Strauss (whom I know), a fairly interesting read so far and acts as a sequel to the game in a sense. ...
Brasas: Thanks for putting this on my radar. Based on the reviews on AMZ I have to ask you to comment further when you finish it please. There is clearly a narrative arc of internal growth intended, despite its self-biographic nature - which can seem somewhat constructed, though I hope isn't - for the author's sake above anything else really... You see, already with The Game I wondered where the line between reality and fiction was to be found - and I don't mean at the level of basic facts, but of "gaming" the narrative sequence, the frames, the flow of events, the ressonance... Hence would be curious how self-honest you consider Strauss and his approach to writing. For now wishlisting.

What you think of the Kafka by the way? It's been a while I read it but it's a failry unique book...
Does anyone know of any English translations of Sapkowski's other books, like the Hussite trilogy or Viper? I loved the Witcher books and I would really like to read his other ones. I don't mind fan translations, just any version that's reasonable translated.
The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury.
For the record, it's only intelectual curiosity on my part on how much of the narrative in Strauss' books is fictionalized. Which even if it was the case to a large extent would neither increase nor decrease the literary or communication merit of the books. So don't feel obligated to evaluate such topic if you consider it inappropriate due to limited knowledge.

I think I bounced off Kafka - of which I only read Metamorphosis. It was too absurd I think, and I didn't see any of the dark humor / satire that some critics see in its grotesqueness. The thematic depth is obvious, though I'm really not sure what its intent actually is.

Thanks
When it comes to the game, I do think that there are certain parts of it that may well be exaggerated to provide a dramatic flair to the story. Especially those instances involving Paris Hilton. However, the principles of the game are certainly sound, being that I have field tested them.

However, the rules are something that must exist only in your head. By and large you can skip many of these rules. I also find that it is much easier to sarge in English speaking European countries like Germany rather than India. The game in India needs a fair bit of tweaking given the social conditioning that exists here.

In field, I have never used DHVs, negging and yet it has worked. Exceedingly well at times. So much so that it made me give up on video games even. I barely game indoors these days.

Do keep in mind that The Game is merely one man's perspective of how a series of events unfolded. And for a good story there must be exist a strong protagonist and an antagonist.

Neverthless, I have had stranger things happen to me.

Conversely, I find that the truth is a more honest account. That's my two cents on the subject.

Brasas: For the record, it's only intelectual curiosity on my part on how much of the narrative in Strauss' books is fictionalized. Which even if it was the case to a large extent would neither increase nor decrease the literary or communication merit of the books. So don't feel obligated to evaluate such topic if you consider it inappropriate due to limited knowledge.

I think I bounced off Kafka - of which I only read Metamorphosis. It was too absurd I think, and I didn't see any of the dark humor / satire that some critics see in its grotesqueness. The thematic depth is obvious, though I'm really not sure what its intent actually is.

Thanks
Post edited November 16, 2015 by Lionel212008