It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

66% off Mount & Blade: Warband, Napoleonic Wars, With Fire and Sword, and Viking Conquest.

Pillaging. What is it good for? Money, people, land. Riches and glory. Kingdoms falling to ground before you. Overwhelming power. You are king. You are god. You are a pirate. It really pays to <span class="bold">Weekly Staff Picks: Live by the Sword</span>, and you can kickstart your new, better life with up to 66% off several of the most open, powerful sword-swingin' contest simulators out there.

The Mount & Blade series is best known for its huge scale and organic, free-form sandbox gameplay. There are hundreds of unique locations out there - camps, villages, towns, castles, kingdoms. You're free to explore the world and find your own place and your own role.

You can become a roaming bandit. Traveling, pillaging towns and traders. You'll acquire your own warband, first there will be dozens of you - then there will be hundreds. You'll become a force to be reckoned with, capable of standing your ground against the greatest armies.

You can become a mercenary. A man or woman for hire. You have the experience, you have the numbers. Now earn your glory in battle - for the highest bidder that is. Navigate political alliances and courtly intrigue. Pick your battles, and you might just find yourself in good with the right people.

You can become royalty. Through battle you've proved your worth. Perhaps it's time to settle down? You've earned your rightful fief, it's not much - but it's a start. A village. A castle. A domain.

You can become king. To meet your foe in combat is one thing, to meet him at the dinner table is another. But you know you have the right to rule. Play your cards right, and you may just be able to be the spark that shifts continental politics - a bloody revolution awaits, but with enough support, you may just be the beginning of a glorious new kingdom.

There are hundreds of paths to take in the Mount & Blade series, and there are countless ways to rise and fall. Pick your flavor with the award-winning Warband, the Napoleonic Wars, the slavic With Fire and Sword, and the seafaring Viking Conquest.

<span class="bold">Weekly Staff Picks: Live by the Sword</span>with up to 66% off the Mount & Blade series, you're the king of your castle, the scourge of the land, or a common trader. The promo will last until Thursday, October 8, 3:59 AM GMT.

Stream watch:

Tune in to Twitch.tv/GOGcom this Wednesday, October 7th to see one of the Mount & Blade games live in action with a member of our #StreamTeam - we'll be going live at 4pm GMT / 6pm CEST / 12pm EDT / 9am PDT!
Licurg: Whenever I have money, GOG only makes sales of stuff I have or don't want. As soon as I have nothing left, you put up the good stuff. You're doing it on purpose :(
It's their way of saying You've got to stop buying all that stuff you don't want. Just because it's on sale doesn't mean you should buy it.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by Maighstir
NoNewTaleToTell: [snip]
Thanks for the infomercial!

EndlessWaves: As a certain berserker said: Live by the sword, Live a good long time.
Looking forward to next week's promo: "Go for the eyes"... o_o
Post edited October 05, 2015 by rodrolliv
Thanks everyone for their responses. :)
JudasIscariot: Good as you should finish the 59859508509850985095 other games you have first :P
THAT is a peculiar idea :-P
Any good tutorials on how to play this? Like the first one for instance? :P
Zoidberg: Any good tutorials on how to play this? Like the first one for instance? :P
Depends on what you play, do you mean the base game, or with a mod. How do you like to play? There are some guides over at gamefaqs.com, or there is Taleworlds forum. The base game is pretty easy, and a bit dull if you ask me, so I tend to play with mods, which then change things so a different approach is needed each time. But that is the best part, its really flexible.
"It really pays to Weekly Staff Picks: Live by the Sword"? Somebody didn't think that one through. ;)

Nice promo, though.
Zoidberg: Any good tutorials on how to play this? Like the first one for instance? :P
First thing I'd recommend to a new player is train a bit in the arena, to get used to the combat system, gain some money and XP and increase weapon skills (which affect damage and speed, + accuracy in case of ranged weapons).

Once you feel comfortable enough with your fighting skills (or had enough of training, more likely :P) you have several options: use the little money you have to form a mighty warband of paesants and farmers, or start doing tournaments (arena masters will tell you where they are). Winning tournaments is THE best way of making money and renown early on (renown increases the number of troops you can command, and it's also needed to be accepted as a vassal).

If you choose the first route, take it easy, try not to fight anything stronger than looters for now: low lvl troops tend to die like flies, and you yourself will be unarmored, which means even an arrow to the knee can knock you unconscious (and when you do, the battle ends immediately). Once your troops will be more experienced (tier 3 and above) you will be able to take on some more juicy targets.
To reduce casualties, it's extremely important to have a medic in your party, someone proficent in the 'surgery' skill; you can either learn it yourself, or train one of your companions (companions are special customizable NPCs you can hire at taverns). Keep your medic safe! Put him at the bottom of the party list (to reduce his chance to spawn) give him a good armor and a ranged weapon with plenty of ammo.
Last but not least, don't forget your troops need to eat, or their morale will sink (morale affects travel speed which is extremely important and if it gets too low some soldiers might defect). There's no warning message when food is low, so make sure to check your supplies from time to time.

Once you have a decent company you could either take mercenary contracts from one of the nobles or even join a faction and become a vassal. Being a vassal is a lot better because then you have a chance to keep the fiefs you conquer.

I hope that helps. If you want to know more feel free to ask. :)
should have added caribbean! to the list : )
Post edited October 06, 2015 by executor64
Bouchart: Was anyone else expecting to see a sale on Die By The Sword?
Yes! That was my first thought, as well. If you live by the sword, you'll die by sword. Or technically speaking, from loss of limbs that are cut off accidentally by very wacky swinging of the sword. You do want to cut off limbs but the ones that get severed are rarely the ones you aimed at in the first place. And you can keep hopping around even after you're disarmed, in both senses of the word. Monty Python black knight comes to mind - although he didn't give up even after both legs were gone, in the game the loss of the second leg results in death immediately.

I still have the original CD of Die by the Sword in my basement but I doubt I'll play it again, this game was more fun in local multiplayer than in adventure mode anyway.
If you're looking for a Warband mod, I recommend Silverstag.
I still haven't tried Warband yet, since I'm aiming for a total conquest of Calradia in vanilla Mount and Blade first. (This is taking forever. XP)
Nothing for me, but I hope everyone who wants them picks them up. ;)
UniversalWolf: If you're looking for a Warband mod, I recommend Silverstag.
Yes, that was one on my list to look at. From memory though, it just alters the base game somewhat, much like Floris. Which isn't a bad thing, but I found vanilla very plain.
expopower: I still haven't tried Warband yet, since I'm aiming for a total conquest of Calradia in vanilla Mount and Blade first. (This is taking forever. XP)
If you don't mind me saying so, consider going to Warband right away. When I finally made the switch it felt like Warband was an improvement in every single way. It's the same factions except with one more, a larger map, and cool new features, such as prison breaks and starting productive enterprises in the various towns, eg. bakeries, tool smiths etc. Perhaps most importantly, you can actually officially start your own kingdom, organize feasts, and recruit lords to whom you assign fiefs and that then follow you into war.