It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

richlind33: But I think the key to bringing people together is to stop focusing on our differences and instead focus on that which we have in common, which greatly overshadows our differences.
Rusty_Gunn: I totally agree, but that is opposed by the zealots of "Identity Politics" . Case in point: Choosing to see a person as human first & foremost IE "colorblind" is often seen as "racist" when that seems to me at least was the "dream" that MLK had.
Funny you should say that. Watch this clip with Morgan Freeman. lol

I would have voted for him if he'd run for president.
*lol* I'd never want to have to argue with Mr. Freeman when he is pissed. :D
He sure nailed it, hard.
Post edited February 16, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: *lol* I'd never want to have to argue with Mr. Freeman when he is pissed. :D
He sure nailed it, hard.
As contrast, see how important February (black history month) is to MTV Decoded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDj4DH4mJw

Just to show I'm not on the "right side of history" ;P here is TL;DR's response to the above video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860FnDGISNg
Post edited February 16, 2017 by Rusty_Gunn
Looks like i missed the hippy gay love circlejerk
Klumpen0815: Ideally not by focusing on some mutual enemy...
richlind33: If by "enemy" you mean scapegoat, I agree; to my mind, however, there is a common enemy, actively engaged in crimes against humanity. But I think the key to bringing people together is to stop focusing on our differences and instead focus on that which we have in common, which greatly overshadows our differences.
Since you hold all the knowledge, what are these things will all have in common?
Post edited February 16, 2017 by Dismember77777
Dismember77777: Looks like i missed the hippy gay love circlejerk
richlind33: If by "enemy" you mean scapegoat, I agree; to my mind, however, there is a common enemy, actively engaged in crimes against humanity. But I think the key to bringing people together is to stop focusing on our differences and instead focus on that which we have in common, which greatly overshadows our differences.
Dismember77777: Since you hold all the knowledge, what are these things will all have in common?
Start off with all the things mammals have in common and see if you can work your way up to homo sapiens sapiens. And remember -- take itty-bitty baby steps! Wouldn't want you to fall down and get a boo-boo. lol
Dismember77777: Looks like i missed the hippy gay love circlejerk

Since you hold all the knowledge, what are these things will all have in common?
richlind33: Start off with all the things mammals have in common and see if you can work your way up to homo sapiens sapiens. And remember -- take itty-bitty baby steps! Wouldn't want you to fall down and get a boo-boo. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGonwMTPV6g

Its a start.
I will leave this here.

https://youtu.be/2XwaYLdjCGE
Dismember77777: Who said she was human though?
LeonardoCornejo: Unfortunately, biology. But trust me, you are not the only one who hopes she would face an unfortunate fate. Too bad meteorites rarely land on people.
No no, she doesn't deserve to die. Dying would indeed make her a sort of heroine. Being alive and continuing to suck will eventually cause her to fade away in obscurity which will be a much more painful lesson for her. Already she's fading - the mainstream media is too busy focusing on Trump now and the gaming press has realized they're losing a ton of readers so they seem to have calmed down.

Out of all of this, I at least have a nice little blacklist of devs I'm never going to support anymore with at the very top Double Fine. It's good to know what people don't deserve your money.
LeonardoCornejo: Unfortunately, biology. But trust me, you are not the only one who hopes she would face an unfortunate fate. Too bad meteorites rarely land on people.
Red_Avatar: No no, she doesn't deserve to die. Dying would indeed make her a sort of heroine. Being alive and continuing to suck will eventually cause her to fade away in obscurity which will be a much more painful lesson for her. Already she's fading - the mainstream media is too busy focusing on Trump now and the gaming press has realized they're losing a ton of readers so they seem to have calmed down.

Out of all of this, I at least have a nice little blacklist of devs I'm never going to support anymore with at the very top Double Fine. It's good to know what people don't deserve your money.
https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/419ssw/sierra_online_documentary_by_jordan_owen_ended/

Might want to add one more to your list.
Still not convinced that gamergate is a hate movement that only serves to damage the video game industry?

Read the posts on this page.

Amidst the literal dehumanisation and the death wishes that users always readily supply while the thread itself never gets closed because of it, self-proclaimed "veteran game developers" whom no one has ever heard from before, with 5 patreon backers and 11$ a month become the new heroes while actual veteran game developers like Tim Schafer are scolded for their association with what basically are neither new nor radical basic feminist ideas.

The movement is so pathetic now that it has to dig out its very own massive embarassments, just because very few of the former gamergate supporting "celebrities" haven't in the meantime turned out to be Trump-supporting alt-right nazis (and/or now live with their mom. Or serve six months in prison for assault). Reentrance for e.g. Jordan Owen, whose cooperation with Davis Aurini has been perfect laughing stock right until it "came out", with the crowning achievement the movie theatre premiere of Owen's version of their "documentary", which no one visited.

Quick reminder: Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini took near 100,000$ backer dollars total and weren't able to finish an even audible documentary. Instead, we got two non-audible versions, because Aurini wanted the punchline of his version to be the insinuation that Anita Sarkeesian was raped by her father.

So Owen, now considering himself a veteran documentary maker with "published" work, ha ha, wanted to make a documentary about Sierra On-Line. And, whoo-hoo, SURPRISE, the adventure game community thought his former work is slanderous alt-right excrement.

Big surprise!

Or, to quote actual veteran game developer Corey Cole in full:

After Mr. Owen's latest post here on Sierra Gamers, I followed his links to his profile and previous projects, and watched the trailer for his previous documentary, "The Sarkeesian Effect". In this documentary, he shows a complete lack of understanding of Sarkeesian's work, uses the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an epithet, and generally promotes ideas that I consider as hateful as rape, slavery, genocide, and... well, you get the idea.

I've been through this before - a major news network requested permission to film at The Hackers' Conference for use in an upcoming documentary. They managed to edit the footage in a way that completely changed the meaning and tone of the conference. When a speaker excitedly spoke about the power hackers have to improve the world, they edited out just enough of the speech to make him say we would use our power to take over the world. It was a hateful misuse of the power of the free press.

As a result, Lori Cole and I will not allow ourselves to be associated in any way with Mr. Owen's project. I would wish him luck, but I really don't. I expect the Sierra film will be as misleading and despicable as his coverage of Anita Sarkeesian.

For the record, Anita's "crusade" is about receiving *some* realistic representation of women in games and other media. When 50+% of the population appears in far fewer than 5% of lead and important roles in games, that is very wrong and deserves to be pointed out. Sarkeesian is *not* demanding 90% women in lead game roles. She is pointing out that there should be *some*, and that some of those women might actually wear practical, realistic clothing and serve a purpose other than being rescued. I think it's a quite reasonable request.

Along those lines, thank the creators for Rey in the new Star Wars film! There were even haters of that (and of Finn, the rare black co-lead) before the film came out. News blast - having a female lead in one important film does not overwhelm the vast majority of other films with no meaningful female characters. And I'm pretty sure nobody is demanding that *every* film feature powerful, self-sufficient women. Just some of them.

Oh, by the way, largest-grossing film of all time... is it possible that a few gaming and film executives might find room among their prejudices to realize that strong female characters *sell*? "Nobody will buy such a game" is the excuse that's been used for far too long.
(markings in bold by me)

Not sure how old you guys are, but I grew up with Tim's and Cole's games. And basically the lead devs whose games I love the most, from Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Tom Hall to Ragnar Tørnquist, all think that your gamergate shenannigans are plainly shit. And I don't think that's a coincidence, because I know that you always communicate your values along with the stories you tell.
Post edited February 18, 2017 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: Still not convinced that gamergate is a hate movement that only serves to damage the video game industry?

Amidst the literal dehumanisation and the death wishes that users always readily supply while the thread itself never gets closed because of it, self-proclaimed "veteran game developers" whom no one has ever heard from before, with 5 patreon backers and 11$ a month become the new heroes while actual veteran game developers like Tim Schafer are scolded for their association with what basically are neither new nor radical basic feminist ideas.

The movement is so pathetic now that it has to dig out its very own massive embarassments, just because very few of the former gamergate supporting "celebrities" haven't in the meantime turned out to be Trump-supporting alt-right nazis (and/or now live with their mom. Or serve six months in prison for assault). Reentrance for e.g. Jordan Owen, whose cooperation with Davis Aurini has been perfect laughing stock right until it "came out", with the crowning achievement the movie theatre premiere of Owen's version of their "documentary", which no one visited.

Quick reminder: Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini took near 100,000$ backer dollars total and weren't able to finish an even audible documentary. Instead, we got two non-audible versions, because Aurini wanted the punchline of his version to be the insinuation that Anita Sarkeesian was raped by her father.

So Owen, now considering himself a veteran documentary maker with "published" work, ha ha, wanted to make a documentary about Sierra On-Line. And, whoo-hoo, SURPRISE, the adventure game community thought his former work is slanderous alt-right excrement.

Big surprise!

After Mr. Owen's latest post here on Sierra Gamers, I followed his links to his profile and previous projects, and watched the trailer for his previous documentary, "The Sarkeesian Effect". In this documentary, he shows a complete lack of understanding of Sarkeesian's work, uses the term "Social Justice Warrior" as an epithet, and generally promotes ideas that I consider as hateful as rape, slavery, genocide, and... well, you get the idea.

I've been through this before - a major news network requested permission to film at The Hackers' Conference for use in an upcoming documentary. They managed to edit the footage in a way that completely changed the meaning and tone of the conference. When a speaker excitedly spoke about the power hackers have to improve the world, they edited out just enough of the speech to make him say we would use our power to take over the world. It was a hateful misuse of the power of the free press.

As a result, Lori Cole and I will not allow ourselves to be associated in any way with Mr. Owen's project. I would wish him luck, but I really don't. I expect the Sierra film will be as misleading and despicable as his coverage of Anita Sarkeesian.

For the record, Anita's "crusade" is about receiving *some* realistic representation of women in games and other media. When 50+% of the population appears in far fewer than 5% of lead and important roles in games, that is very wrong and deserves to be pointed out. Sarkeesian is *not* demanding 90% women in lead game roles. She is pointing out that there should be *some*, and that some of those women might actually wear practical, realistic clothing and serve a purpose other than being rescued. I think it's a quite reasonable request.

Along those lines, thank the creators for Rey in the new Star Wars film! There were even haters of that (and of Finn, the rare black co-lead) before the film came out. News blast - having a female lead in one important film does not overwhelm the vast majority of other films with no meaningful female characters. And I'm pretty sure nobody is demanding that *every* film feature powerful, self-sufficient women. Just some of them.

Oh, by the way, largest-grossing film of all time... is it possible that a few gaming and film executives might find room among their prejudices to realize that strong female characters *sell*? "Nobody will buy such a game" is the excuse that's been used for far too long.
Vainamoinen: (markings in bold by me)

Not sure how old you guys are, but I grew up with Tim's and Cole's games. And basically the lead devs whose games I love the most, from Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Tom Hall to Ragnar Tørnquist, all think that your gamergate shenannigans are plainly shit. And I don't think that's a coincidence, because I know that you always communicate your values along with the stories you tell.
Yeah associate everyone you hate with gamergate, then call it a failure because the people you hate were failures. Great little trick. But the fact remains that the principles GG supports are valid, and that the facts it discovered are true and verified. You can associate it however many pick-artists you want but that remains true.

Ie, in a language you'll understand. Hillary may be a hacked robot but the principles she stands for are valid.

Either way, nice opinion bro!
Vainamoinen: - Everyone is a nazi
-Gamergaytors are ebil
-Don't blaspheme agains saint Anita
You know Vaina it's been two years now you post the same thing, and I have to say that maybe we wouldn't be here today without you. So thank you, I at least aprreciate it that you've been trying to motivate and support us in your own way.

Oh and at least our e-celebs aren't in jail because they're rapists or con-artists called Mr. Shitface.
Vainamoinen: Still not convinced that gamergate is a hate movement that only serves to damage the video game industry?

Big surprise!

Cory Cole compared criticism towards Anita Sarkeesian to Slaver, Rape, and Genocide. When you say something like that you are so fucked up in the head your are beyond repair.

I'd like Cole to walk up to a Holocaust survivor and tell her what she went through is the same as what Sarkeesian is going through. Or a 15 year old girl who has been gang-raped, and tell her the same thing.

This is Social Justice gone completely wrong.

Big surprise!

Considering we are the ones against media outlets that organized a libel campaign against a swedish guy for making jokes, considering we are the ones against actual racism and sexism. I am pretty much sure we are not the hateful ones.

And if you think my emotionally loaded commentaries are "hateful" you pretty much sure have no idea how gamers spoke of Thompson when he was leading the anti gamer censorship campaign.

Yes, I stated identity politics tarnish the reputation of those they claim to represent to the point that they are used as validation for actual hate movements. Yes, I stated if something terrible happened to Anita Sarkeesian many of us would not feel bad.

But you are intentionally taking what I said out of context to brand us as a hate movement. Because as I said, that is why we must put an end to identity politics because identitarian movements harm those they claim to protect. And I also stated Anita Sarkeesian must not become a martyr and so we must not inflict any physical harm on her. The only harm that should be inflicted upon her by us is, as with any other con artist, financial.

I guess you could write at Polygon or Kotaku considering how you willingly take things out of context to spin a narrative.
Stig79: Cory Cole compared criticism towards Anita Sarkeesian to Slaver, Rape, and Genocide.
No, he didn't. Cole said that Jordan Owen "generally promotes ideas that I consider as hateful as rape, slavery, genocide". Which can quite easily be said about Owen, sadly. Look around, the peeps here know, that's why they have to play the disassociation game. So you're being off topic in talking about Owen in a gamergate thread, son. Some of the folks here have been shamed to their underpants after they had hyped "The Sarkeesian Effect" here for a year. But most of those are long gone. One of the greatest fuckwits (whom hardly anyone even liked, even though of course his stances were almost never attacked in this outrage team effort) even left over the shame, to my knowledge.

I personally don't consider Owen a "bad man". He's troubled, unstable, not very bright, and completely oblivious as to the consequences of his hateful actions. He wanted to be one of the great anti-feminist outrage incinerators "from the left" operating from his bathtub and, surprise, only found collaborators in Trump supporters. He has actively participated in an alt-right documentary about a white supremacist enemy concept together with ... well. A nazi. Great for Owen that he had that final fallout with the nazi eventually, quick congratulatory handshake here, but the slander movie that he eventually made anyway will absolutely effectively keep him out of making any more "documentaries" about his favorite games, at least those that comprise interviews with his favorite game designers. As I formerly said, Owen is unfortunately not very bright. He seems to favor traditional adventure games. And that is, naturally, a domain in which his stances, as I formerly demonstrated, are hitting a brick wall. The best storytellers have long since understood that the call for more diversified protagonists is a call for more creativity, not for restrictions of any kind.

Owen's idol game designers hate him. That's a bitter pill to swallow, but may ignite a little spark in that cobweb covered light bulb over his head.

I do hope Owen can grow and make a living in his musical endeavours. His 'documentaries' can fuck off. No one is funding that overpriced nonsense anyway.

Looking forward to hear from you what company you're going to "boycott" based on Corey Cole's facebook post.