It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
So Anita is apparently going to be on Colbert tonight. There's a picture of her sitting at his desk.

Not that she has anything to do with GG, but surely we all know by now that this hasn't stopped her from jumping into the middle of it before and waving her hands around. Hopefully she just talks about her videos and/or gun control (which ties into that speech she canceled) and doesn't try to lie to people about how we're all women-hating tools of the patriarchy. That's probably too much to hope for given the timing, but... must retain... optimism...
low rated
htown1980: TB interviewing Stephen Totilo of Kotaku:
Listening to it currently.

Course if you don't like using a player in your browser or issues, downloadhelper or savedeo can help...
htown1980: I actually think the TB interview will be super boring. That guy is far too reasonable, in my opinion.

If you suck at watching youtube videos here is one that you will have trouble with:

TB interviewing Stephen Totilo of Kotaku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU

You can also get the podcast. Videos like this I tend to put on the background while I am doing stuff around the house.
My headset isn't wireless anymore, which sucks, because that made it easier. I get bored watching talking heads, it's why I prefer to read everything, I absorb it faster then most people speak. Listening to youtube stuff is just something I need to get used to it looks like, just gonna take time like anything else.
low rated
TwilightBard: I get bored watching talking heads, it's why I prefer to read everything, I absorb it faster then most people speak.
+1 Reminds me of how I feel whenever I'm looking for a few simple instructions for something and the only thing I can find are friggin' video tutorials on YouTube. Or how I feel when I see a news article that seems interesting and turns out to be a video.
low rated
Potzato: Ok now I have to buy cereal again ( I am already sold to intel sooo).
However the Felicia Day 'mock up' is of bad taste. People shouldn't have fun on feelings of fear or insecurity, however non-understandable that may seem. As a public figure, it was quite courageous of her to speak of it openly to begin with. There's no point in mocking that, even so slightly. It's easy to consider it unfounded when you are not the one directly affected by it.
How was she affected by it? She wasnt affected by anything in reality. It was all made up in her head. It's nobody else's problem but hers that she drank the anti-GG kool-aid.
Potzato: Ok now I have to buy cereal again ( I am already sold to intel sooo).
However the Felicia Day 'mock up' is of bad taste. People shouldn't have fun on feelings of fear or insecurity, however non-understandable that may seem. As a public figure, it was quite courageous of her to speak of it openly to begin with. There's no point in mocking that, even so slightly. It's easy to consider it unfounded when you are not the one directly affected by it.
TwilightBard: It's Ralph, sadly as much as we yell about him, he doesn't seem to really get the memo that we're not his excuse to attack people. He's been writing these inflammatory articles for a bit, taking old tweets and quotes out of context as fuel, and really become the thing we're fighting, and people are noticing and complaining about him too. Which is a good thing in my eyes, it's very easy for someone to fall into a trap and be the monster you're trying to fight.
He didnt make the cartoons, he got them from readers and posted them. And I dont see anything attacking her in those mockups, they just depict what ms. day said. She blindly drank the anti-gg koolaid. If she is too busy to read up on the internet and youtube to find out about GG, she should have STFU and not just repeat what her mentor that stupid prick Wheadon said about GG.
Post edited October 30, 2014 by keithdrop
htown1980: I actually think the TB interview will be super boring. That guy is far too reasonable, in my opinion.

If you suck at watching youtube videos here is one that you will have trouble with:

TB interviewing Stephen Totilo of Kotaku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU

You can also get the podcast. Videos like this I tend to put on the background while I am doing stuff around the house.
TwilightBard: My headset isn't wireless anymore, which sucks, because that made it easier. I get bored watching talking heads, it's why I prefer to read everything, I absorb it faster then most people speak. Listening to youtube stuff is just something I need to get used to it looks like, just gonna take time like anything else.
Yerp, nobody reads things anymore... :)

You can also download it from soundcloud if that helps (I don't know if or how that link would help - I am too old)

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/stephen-totilo-of-kotaku-comes-to-the-table-to-discuss-media-ethics
keithdrop: How was she affected by it? She wasnt affected by anything in reality. It was all made up in her head. It's nobody else's problem but hers that she drank the anti-GG kool-aid.
She tweeted at what she calls one the GG victims. After that she got attacked on twitter.
How was that all in her head?
Still she admits that she was wrong in crossing the street and shouldn't have done so.

keithdrop: He didnt make the cartoons, he got them from readers and posted them. And I dont see anything attacking her in those mockups, they just depict what ms. day said. She blindly drank the anti-gg koolaid. If she is too busy to read up on the internet and youtube to find out about GG, she should have STFU and not just repeat what her mentor that stupid prick Wheadon said about GG.
They are ridiculing her for no reason at all.
She herself was directly attacked. So she then should have read up on the internet and come to the conclusion that that's not bad? I don't think people work that way.
It took her a few days to get back to normal and not cross the street.
She writes that the trolls are only a minority of the GG people, she writes that it was wrong of her to cross the street. Why ridicule her now for that? Why saying that she should have "STFU"?

And that "koolaid" saying is more than just bad taste.
Here's a quite recent documentary about the Johnstown Deaths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9o1vUSLhOs
If you're too busy to watch it all (although I'd recommend it) you could start at 1:12:00 for the koolaid.
low rated
was watching a podcast with kevin from attack of the show and he has a guy on this podcast The Verge Editor-in-Chief, Nilay Patel and is saying a lot of stuff like fighting a losing battle and making these websites lose averts is nothing and won't hurt anything. here is the link to this try to listen to this whole podcast so you will see what I am talking about in a more clear sense.

Personally I am not all that up to date on this but seen a lot of talk of trying to make these websites lose contracts with other companies and get heard on this but maybe someone can fill me in even more would be great! :)

48 minutes is where it starts

http://youtu.be/13AyMtCynW4?list=UUZOl2MQ5PnAB_8eKikDd05w

here is a total biscuit chat with internet aristocrat

35 minutes in

http://youtu.be/g30jXK7ACqY?list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ
Post edited October 30, 2014 by DreamedArtist
low rated
Anita Sarkeesian Colbert Report

Hilariously enough, at least in the mainstream media, the entire "gamergate" narrative seems to be framed around the gamergater harassment towards women.

Probably best to give up that label if they're serious about combatting "corruption in game journalism".
babark: Anita Sarkeesian Colbert Report

Hilariously enough, at least in the mainstream media, the entire "gamergate" narrative seems to be framed around the gamergater harassment towards women.

Probably best to give up that label if they're serious about combatting "corruption in game journalism".
Yes, because the general public are morons. The media has always gone for the lowest common denominator. That's why only welfare moms and old ladies read those celebrity rags you see at the grocery store. They KNOW THEIR AUDIENCE. No Harvard grad busting his ass to rise up the corporate ladder gives two wet shits what brand of shoes Kim Kardashian is wearing. He's too busy working, studying and learning his business. Same goes for the media spin on this GG thing. They have to frame it around the circus element because they know their audience isn't going to then get on the internet and spend 2 fucking months researching it. It's the information version of fast food... no, not even fast food. Cheap ass vending machine food. And by framing it how they see ft, they can spin that eternal echo chamber of leftist horseshit that they always churn up like fucking butter to get the masses demanding the heads of the evil super patriarchy. Pulling the wool over people's eyes has become a perfected science.

I just spent more time writing my above reply than most people outside this thing are going to spend thinking about GamerGate. That is an actual fact.
I personally feel that the pushback against radical feminists/SJWs/etc is just as important a pillar of GamerGate as concerns regarding journalistic ethics. So it makes me very happy to see another video from Christina Hoff Sommers eloquently explaining this aspect of the movement:

What critics of GamerGate get wrong

She's smart, composed, to-the-point, just great all around. We're very lucky to have her as a spokesperson for these concerns. :)
low rated
Emob78:
Framing the whole thing as a "conservative right" vs "liberal left" fight isn't going to help either- it just feeds into the whole "them backwards people can't stand gender equality" narrative that Colbert speaks on.
Unless gamergate IS a gamers vs feminism fight. In that case, everything is going right.
Emob78:
babark: Framing the whole thing as a "conservative right" vs "liberal left" fight isn't going to help either- it just feeds into the whole "them backwards people can't stand gender equality" narrative that Colbert speaks on.
Unless gamergate IS a gamers vs feminism fight. In that case, everything is going right.
In terms of PR it doesn't matter. If media spin can be used to make the public think you're a polka dotted 3 headed purple alien, that's what they'll get the public to think. You are now a polka dotted 3 headed alien, doesn't matter how you try and convince people that you aren't. It's all about perception and manipulation. And it's not hard to manipulate the minds of people who have reality tv shows and facebook likes bouncing around their tiny brains.

So if it's a battle of ethics in journalism, then that's the way the true issue should be discussed. However, if people want to roll around in the pigshit and have a go at a wrasslin' version of GG, I'm game for that too. We have to be capable of fighting on different fronts at different times. There is a clear agenda at work here to remove all understanding and value of our present conceptions of reality, society, and human value. I'm sorry, no one is going to ever convince me that 'other-kin' or 'multiple systems' are normal behavior modes for human beings. It's the crazy trying to make normal crazy and their version of crazy normal. That's crazy.
low rated
babark: Anita Sarkeesian Colbert Report

Emob78: Yes, because the general public are morons. The media has always gone for the lowest common denominator. That's why only welfare moms and old ladies read those celebrity rags you see at the grocery store. They KNOW THEIR AUDIENCE. No Harvard grad busting his ass to rise up the corporate ladder gives two wet shits what brand of shoes Kim Kardashian is wearing. He's too busy working, studying and learning his business. Same goes for the media spin on this GG thing. They have to frame it around the circus element because they know their audience isn't going to then get on the internet and spend 2 fucking months researching it. It's the information version of fast food... no, not even fast food. Cheap ass vending machine food. And by framing it how they see ft, they can spin that eternal echo chamber of leftist horseshit that they always churn up like fucking butter to get the masses demanding the heads of the evil super patriarchy. Pulling the wool over people's eyes has become a perfected science.

I just spent more time writing my above reply than most people outside this thing are going to spend thinking about GamerGate. That is an actual fact.
Or y'know, maybe it's because that's the only part of the story that's going to be remotely interesting and relevant to John and Joan Q. Public's lives, I mean think about it, why on earth would average, everyday non-gamer types give a rats arse about ethics in game journalism? That's like someone trying to get you or I interested in the minutia of the machinations of the Hindu leadership hierarchy or something, it's just not something that's going to affect them at all

On the other hand, the way women get treated by any sub-section of society is much more relevant and relateable to the common man or woman
Emob78: Yes, because the general public are morons. The media has always gone for the lowest common denominator. That's why only welfare moms and old ladies read those celebrity rags you see at the grocery store. They KNOW THEIR AUDIENCE. No Harvard grad busting his ass to rise up the corporate ladder gives two wet shits what brand of shoes Kim Kardashian is wearing. He's too busy working, studying and learning his business. Same goes for the media spin on this GG thing. They have to frame it around the circus element because they know their audience isn't going to then get on the internet and spend 2 fucking months researching it. It's the information version of fast food... no, not even fast food. Cheap ass vending machine food. And by framing it how they see ft, they can spin that eternal echo chamber of leftist horseshit that they always churn up like fucking butter to get the masses demanding the heads of the evil super patriarchy. Pulling the wool over people's eyes has become a perfected science.

Fever_Discordia: Or y'know, maybe it's because that's the only part of the story that's going to be remotely interesting and relevant to John and Joan Q. Public's lives, I mean think about it, why on earth would average, everyday non-gamer types give a rats arse about ethics in game journalism? That's like someone trying to get you or I interested in the minutia of the machinations of the Hindu leadership hierarchy or something, it's just not something that's going to affect them at all

On the other hand, the way women get treated by any sub-section of society is much more relevant and relateable to the common man or woman
It's also an attempt at deflection. Even if they can't get the non-gaming public to pay attention, they can obscure the issue surrounding the ethics part in order to fuel the divisive feminist part. They know they are guilty as shit regarding the ethics issue, so they'd rather play the schoolyard bully game and start wracking men in the balls in order to get the 'ooohs and 'aaaws from the crowd.

It's just the old dinosaur media establishment desperate to stay relevant. No one watches MSNBC, no one but catatonic Alzheimers patients listen to NPR. But have Amy Goodman come out and punch Mitt Romney in the dick and suddenly they'd get bumped to a 4.5 in the ratings. People love a train wreck. We're at a point where actual discussions about feminism in media have become the equivalent of ambulance chasing.