It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
I wish the Fuck DRM crowd a good time here on GOG with the multiplayer games *snicker*
realMehKind: If you hate DRM and want steam to know about it. Join the revolution
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/fckdrm

We will take this message in Steam too!! Please do give your support there too :)
Yes, make an anti-steam community on steam! The logic is impeccable.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by AlienMind
maxkatzur: Thanks to FCK DRM, here comes the great-great battle for glory, peace, and freedom.
Now THAT man gets it. Now excuse me, I gotta let my cat walk over the keyboard while I'm on change.org and pretend to have changed the world.
low rated
Okay, read em. Most of it was just conspiratorial nonsense. Updates can disabled, Windows 10 upgrade could also be disabled, everyone spies on you and Ubuntu have been guilty of doing it. Linux OS's also depreciate (that means they don't get supported by new hardware.) I'm sure Windows does have back doors but for all the talk about them the Linux community has failed to produce a single solitary example of one. Also a lot of these article are really old and outdated.

If you’re going to criticise Windows, it’s better to use something more current… and honest. Simply lying and exaggeration to a Windows user base doesn't really get your message across. Since I’m not a fanboy I’ll help you out with this one.

Some real problems with Windows is the way it updates and activates.

The updates aren't forced but they do thing things around. So you might be used to setting up Windows one way then after an update that method will no longer work and you have to relearn it. For example: if you you wanted to disable the firewall you only needed to disable it through services. But after a few RS updates now you have to do it though GPEdit.

Activating Windows offline used to be done over the phone. This was bad but it’s seems a lot more complicated now. I don’t know too much of the details because I’ve not had to activate that way in a very long time.

AngeLusFr: Now tell me ONE reason to use Windows.
So you can play decent games.
Magmarock: If you want someone to notice your response use the reply button.
WinterSnowfall: And if you want to get into yet another Linux vs Windows discussion, at least do it in a more appropriate thread. I don't think OSes fit into anyone's definition of DRM.
Okay you kind of got me here. It wasn't my intention but you know how internet arguments go.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by Magmarock
It doesn't have a tiny market share like Linux does. If Linux had more than three users, people would make games that run on it.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by DoomSooth
DoomSooth: It doesn't have a tiny market share like Linux does. If Linux had more than three users, people would make games that run on it.
And of course you're talking about Linux as a desktop OS, not that thing which runs most of the internet backbone and the IOT world :). Yet I don't see anyone taking a stab at Windows Server on this thread, so let's behave and keep things on topic.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: And of course you're talking about Linux as a desktop OS, not that thing which runs most of the internet backbone and the IOT world :).
Of course. How many people have a backbone at home and are complaining about having no games to run on it?
Magmarock: So you can play decent games.
WinterSnowfall: And if you want to get into yet another Linux vs Windows discussion, at least do it in a more appropriate thread. I don't think OSes fit into anyone's definition of DRM.
Magmarock: Okay you kind of got me here. It wasn't my intention but you know how internet arguments go.
I really admire your bravery and foolishness to initiate such a discussion. You're either too inexperienced with the dark side of the Internet or have been really stoned at the time (no offense meant). Such discussions are never joyous, and should never be started.
That being said (and for the lack of the better ways of communication) I'm with you on some/many of your points. I'm not a Linux hater, I've nothing against it, I tried it once, that was quite enough for me. But I really think that Linux has a bigotry following that is as bad-mouthed as it is vocal (not that I'm pointing to anyone in particular in this thread, peace) and it's making the Internet a darker place overall.
Classic example I can think of is Playmore's Sengoku Anthology. Bought it, tried it once to see if it worked. Some months later installed it again and the DRM meant I wasn't allowed a second installation. Went to Playmore's site for techical help but the company went out of business. Luckly managed to find a German company that removes DRM once an installation so got a temporary fix. If GOG is reading this post I would love to get those games free of charge providing I give my game case details.

On a side note is the Steam version of Sonic Mania still got that DRM?
Post edited August 25, 2018 by pferreira1983
low rated
Magmarock: So you can play decent games.

Okay you kind of got me here. It wasn't my intention but you know how internet arguments go.
ng: I really admire your bravery and foolishness to initiate such a discussion. You're either too inexperienced with the dark side of the Internet or have been really stoned at the time (no offense meant). Such discussions are never joyous, and should never be started.
That being said (and for the lack of the better ways of communication) I'm with you on some/many of your points. I'm not a Linux hater, I've nothing against it, I tried it once, that was quite enough for me. But I really think that Linux has a bigotry following that is as bad-mouthed as it is vocal (not that I'm pointing to anyone in particular in this thread, peace) and it's making the Internet a darker place overall.
It's the former. The Linux side is the dark side. It's the darkest side there is. The levels of autism is so astronomical that it makes SJW's look normal by compression. It's where common sense, logic and honesty go to die and it kind of breaks the brain to try and make sense of it all. I mean just look at Richard Stallman look at that, "man." That's the physical embodiment of the Linux community.
Jeffry84: I give you that usually to install something on GNU/Linux it's better to be online and hence to be able to reach the repository mirror to download all the dependencies.
Actually, you do not even need to have an internet connection, if you use Debian. All you need to install additional software is having downloaded the (currently) 3 DVDs of Debian's stable release, they contain a part of the software archives. You could also turn an external HDD into an internet-less Debian software archive; 4-5 years ago I was told, approx. 50GB of disk space would be sufficient for that.

However, unless you have very good reasons to leave your system disconnected from the internet, you would use an online mirror to get your software packages from.
Jeffry84: I give you that usually to install something on GNU/Linux it's better to be online and hence to be able to reach the repository mirror to download all the dependencies.
ArcaneSlayer: Actually, you do not even need to have an internet connection, if you use Debian. All you need to install additional software is having downloaded the (currently) 3 DVDs of Debian's stable release, they contain a part of the software archives. You could also turn an external HDD into an internet-less Debian software archive; 4-5 years ago I was told, approx. 50GB of disk space would be sufficient for that.

However, unless you have very good reasons to leave your system disconnected from the internet, you would use an online mirror to get your software packages from.
No DVD drives. USB All the way. Because it's current year.
Post edited August 26, 2018 by Magmarock
Due to palsy in my hands I use trainers in my games. Dying cause my hands shake is rage inducing. With GOG the game is mine and I can play it the way I want. With Steam games I can loose access to games because I am playing them my way.
ezekialrage: Due to palsy in my hands I use trainers in my games. Dying cause my hands shake is rage inducing. With GOG the game is mine and I can play it the way I want. With Steam games I can loose access to games because I am playing them my way.
Wait does that mean you can cheat in gog multiplayer games?
okay, this is epic
ezekialrage: Due to palsy in my hands I use trainers in my games. Dying cause my hands shake is rage inducing. With GOG the game is mine and I can play it the way I want. With Steam games I can loose access to games because I am playing them my way.
Magmarock: Wait does that mean you can cheat in gog multiplayer games?
Offline only. I've been punished for cheating in offline only games on Steam.