It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Magmarock: Do you not understand bash code. Look at the script again.
If you'd link to somewhere I could see it, I would have looked at it in the first place.

Not that it makes any difference to your arguments anyway. That's just one implementation and how much it sucks for whatever particular use-case you've moved the goal posts to this time is rather irrelevant.

EDIT: Added screenshot.
Attachments:
Post edited August 27, 2018 by xyem
richlind33: What I wouldn't give for a FCK PR initiative. o.O
Marketing is PR but not all PR is marketing. There's also information and plain communication with the public (which GOG tends to be rather deficient at).
Would sure like a campaign aiming for a blanket ban on marketing and advertising, since the whole point of that is to generate demand which otherwise wouldn't exist, so to make people get, and desire, things they don't need and likely wouldn't even want otherwise, and this despite the rampant overconsumption and the working conditions and exploitation of most who produce, or even sell, what's being demanded as a result.
But that's also not the topic here. (Nor is all this talk about Linux, but...)
I heartily approve of this -- thank you very much for being DRM free and remaining so forever.
vsublimer: It's not anti-steam, It's anti-DRM. YOUR logic is impeccable.
AlienMind: Steam IS drm lol
exactly. I don't know why gabe is even featured in the testimonials of anti-drm people... I was in vietnam, no internet connection, guess if I could play any of steam no games. NOPE, login or you got no access...
Magmarock: Do you not understand bash code. Look at the script again.
xyem: If you'd link to somewhere I could see it, I would have looked at it in the first place.

Not that it makes any difference to your arguments anyway. That's just one implementation and how much it sucks for whatever particular use-case you've moved the goal posts to this time is rather irrelevant.

EDIT: Added screenshot.
I did post a link, that script downloads a selection of programs and the dependencies needed to make them work and packs them into a tar file. IT 'S COMMENTED IN THE CODE. Jeez, do you not read or something. It's either that or a 300 gig repo mirror.
Kanashe: Yeah, no. Some of these games still function on cloud save stuff, unless yer one of those chumps who believes "well, I should have my safe files on my PC! Nyeh! Nyeh! Nyeh!", to which I can just say "Oh sure, an what if your HD goes kaput? Enjoy losing all your progress asshole."
I don't understand this argument, games that use cloud save still store their files on the drive. You can back them up both locally and on the cloud. Overwrite one with the other as you wish.
Post edited August 27, 2018 by Magmarock
Can't read 28 pages of posts obviously, but I just want to ad that I'm, like, 100% with you, GOG. I hate DRM with all I have, and "GOG or torrent" has become my motto and my lifestyle since... 2014, I believe. I will do everything I can to support you. You are the only hope game industry has. You are the only hope for games to stay games as they were since the very beginning of video games.
Thank you GOG for creating that page with the information about the DRM :)
Magmarock: It's either that or a 300 gig repo mirror.
False:
1. It's possible to make selective mirror few times smaller, that fit on SSD or HDD locally. It was told to you by few peoples already, yet you blindly ignore it.
2. You ignore distributions created specifically for usage without Internet.
3. You will ignore everything that doesn't fit into your narrative or comparison of unavoidable Windows integrated DRM with imaginary Internet requirement of Linux distributions.
Post edited August 27, 2018 by RusNeuroMancer
FCK DRM, alright, great!

But please GOG, stop putting obligatory online connection even to play over LAN in the games you publish, ok?

Cheers!
Post edited August 27, 2018 by KomodoC
Magmarock: I did post a link, that script downloads a selection of programs and the dependencies needed to make them work and packs them into a tar file. IT 'S COMMENTED IN THE CODE. Jeez, do you not read or something. It's either that or a 300 gig repo mirror.
In the midst of your self-righteousness, you forgot to consider that you didn't post a working link.
From now to the end of the DRM all my buys will be to gog.com if a game is not here will be like I can't buy it, so I'll need download it from other places ;)
Post edited August 27, 2018 by Loko61945
Loko61945: From now to the end of the DRM all my buys will be to gog.com if a game is not here will be like I can't buy it, so I'll need download it from other places ;)
you mean buy it from other places who also sell games DRM free?
I can't read the entire thread (too long). But I see some people annoyed by the name.

I don't mind if GOG wants call it "2 girls 1 cup (full of DRM)".

I will buy all my games here anyway.
Post edited August 27, 2018 by RPGDEX
FCK multiplayer DRM
Errr, why there are 10 more pages on this topic if you check it unregistered?