It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
As long as I can download my game without having to ask for it, or play it whenever I want, even if my internet is down, I'm fine. I paid for the game, I want the publisher/website/dev to trust me with it, and leave me alone to play it as I wish.
DRM FREE Games Ever!! Forever!!
Magmarock: What, that doesn't make any sense.
RusNeuroMancer: Windows verify if it's licensed via MS servers. Hence, The Witcher 3 require DRM platform (Windows) to run.
Oh right the platforms have DRM. Yeah that can't really be helped I think.
Did anyone else notice that people who dislike GOG's DRM view are also the people who promote Piracy?
groze: Because if you want to engage in conversation and healthy discussion with a party that has different beliefs, politics and policies than you, you don't open that dialog with "FCK [insert whatever thing they believe in]". That's not building bridges, it's downright burning them.
einexile: In the US it also reeks of Trump hysteria. There's a broad coalition of fine people who oppose our new president, and then there are the folks who put kids in front of the camera and instruct them to display their middle fingers and recite potty mouth. It's not hyperbole to say that this petulant attitude and style of presentation helped get him elected.

Was there something wrong with IDK DRM or did you just not think of it?

I'll add that as long as GOG sells games that require account creation for participation in multiplayer, the site should also list Humble, Steam, and any other service that sells a significant number of DRM-free titles.
Nah, DRM is so evil it deserves this kind of abuse.

After all, do people go "Homicide isn't very nice. We think it would be great if murder got punished".

OK not a great example because murder has been illegal for some time - however DRM is so fucked up it needs to be purged from society, there are no benefits whatsoever for the consumer, it takes away consumer's freedoms, and can be abused. It is pure evil, and it must be destroyed.
I recently started using GOG and am loving the fact that a game is really mine, keep up the good work and never allow DRM here at GOG.

reetmic.net
Engerek01: Did anyone else notice that people who dislike GOG's DRM view are also the people who promote Piracy?
There's a lot of comments on this thread. Would you happen to have a direct example.
Kanashe: Yeah, no. Some of these games still function on cloud save stuff, unless yer one of those chumps who believes "well, I should have my safe files on my PC! Nyeh! Nyeh! Nyeh!", to which I can just say "Oh sure, an what if your HD goes kaput? Enjoy losing all your progress asshole."
Er, yes. You do not have to use cloud saves for a game if you don't want to. I don't. It's a choice, it's mandatory. You may want to look up the words "optional" and "mandatory" before you continue attempting to present the illusion of a retarded crack monkey throwing up something that may one day resemble an ill-conceived argument, so at least said argument will contain slightly fewer hilarious inaccuracies.

Not entirely sure how you equate cloud saves with DRM, since cloud saves have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with DRM. They have nothing in common with DRM, and certainly were never created for any purpose that even closely resembles any purpose that DRM was ever created for or used for, and they can not ever be used in any realistic way for any purpose that DRM was created for or used for, ever.

Don't forget to feed that monkey - it can't live on crack alone!
high rated
Back in the days when I started playing you were required to have the CD in your drive if you wanted to play a game. As a result, listening to a CD while you play wasn't possible without some extra work, but you also had to switch disks back and forth. I can understand why they would want to check whether or not I had a genuine copy at the launch of the game, but some of them forced you to have the CD-drive working the entire time. HD space was more precious 2 decades ago, but even with a full installation, you always had that annoying background noise and unnecessary hardware deterioration.
So in order to fully enjoy a game I was "forced" to instal some no-cd patches from various shady sites, not only doing something illegal, but also risking to infect my computer in the process.
Fast forward 20 years and the state of DRM is actually worse: games won't launch without internet connection, shut down when you lose your wifi-signal, stop working after you switch hardware, run some spyware in the background and more. As part of the online DRM, you also have to instal poorly tested patches that sometimes introduce new problems or in the worst case make the game unplayable for you.
Thank god that there are sites like gog that show the industry that releasing games without DRM isn't a risk, but an opportunity for them, since gamers are more likely to purchase a game when it comes without these digital shackle. Given that gog is part of CD Project Red (aka the Witcher guys), they put enough trust in the concept to not only sell other companies' games that way, but their own AAA titles and are very successful with it.
FCKDRM
Post edited August 23, 2018 by eidolon232
DontPay4Digital: I would like to educate people on DRM and how GOG bounces back and forth between standards for their own gain as a marketing tactic and how GOG/CDPR have proven they cannot be trusted. Don't mistake me for a Valve drone, I do not give money to any of these worse than rent seeking disgusting digital distribution "services" such as Steam, GOG, uplay, origin, etc. I did buy the physical Complete Editions of the Witcher games though.
I find this hilarious considering GOG itself is DRM using GOG's own standard on DRM for old physical copies. GOG is DRM and if you described GOG to me before paid digital distribution took off, I would have immediately considered it to be DRM and still do, and rightfully so.
GOG themselves consider offline CD keys found on old physical copies of PC games to be DRM, and rightfully so. Offline CD keys that I have experienced required the key once before the game is fully installed but do not require an official account nor do they require you to connect to a server for authorization at any point.
GOG requires you to have an official account with them and you have to be authorized by their servers to access the games you paid for. I consider that to be more and worse DRM than offline CD keys which don't require an account or server authentication at any point, yet for some reason GOG gets a pass. GOG should be considered DRM using GOG's own standards which consider offline CD keys to be DRM.
It does not matter if it is only required once before the game is fully installed and it doesn't matter if you can copy and paste it once you get past it, offline CD keys do not get a pass so neither should GOG. Funnily enough, years ago a friend of mine took his laptop into Walmart, opened a Warcraft 3 battlechest then installed it on his laptop. Warcraft 3 uses an offline CD key DRM, (we have never played online but I assume that key might be used if you want to play online, I'm not sure), yet once it was installed he copy and pasted to a flash drive and let me and my other friends install it on our computers, we never had to use the CD key. If someone bought that opened Warcraft 3 battlechest, they would be able to do the same.
It does not matter that it is inherent with paid digital distribution, it should not get a pass. The original source for the games I installed from physical copies is the disc or flash drive, the original source for the games you get from GOG is from their servers.
My argument here is not anti or pro-DRM, I'm just proving that GOG is not DRM free like they falsely advertise.

How about some disgusting things the founders of CDPR did. The founders claim they used to sell pirated games before they founded CDPR, they exonerate themselves by stating that it wasn't illegal.
CDPR sent legals threats to Germans who pirated Witcher 2 to either pay 1000 euro or go to court, but I bet not a single one of those Germans made any money from pirating Witcher 2 unlike the founders of CDPR.
The only reason CDPR gave to pay for the game was to "support the developer" which has nothing to do with the legality of it, but the founders sure weren't supporting the developers when they were selling their pirated games.
They couldn't say to buy the physical copy either, since the vanilla physical copies of Witcher 2 had Securom on it. They intentionally sabotaged the physical copy of Witcher 2 with Securom to get people to pay for it digitally instead so they can make more money which is hypocritical since Marcin said they "beat pirates" by selling nice physical copies with the entire game with them but they haven't done that for any of the Witcher games at release, only when they released the Complete Editions.

The only sites that fckdrm gave for DRM free media that are actually DRM free are project gutenberg, openlibra, and moving image archive, which all offer public domain works and don't charge for it which is completely different from the others. Conveniently enough, the website doesn't mention you can always buy a physical book or a physical CD which are truly DRM free and let you actually get something in return for your money, which makes sense since physical products goes against GOG's business model and some people might question the double standards on promoting physical copies of other forms of media but not games. GOG twitter blocked me for calling them out on posting a picture of old big box physical games and me telling them that giving money to GOG is a vote against physical games, so why post a picture of them?

Cue the GOG/CDPR drones stepping in and trying (and failing) to defend their favorite company. by providing no counter arguments and grasping for straws You aren't bad people for doing it, you are just too kind and nice to the point of being altruistic and I feel bad for you for letting yourself get manipulated by GOG and other companies.

If GOG were serious about this then they would be promoting truly DRM free media such as physical books or truly DRM free games such as the physical Complete Editions of the Witcher games that is not only truly DRM free, but lets you actually get something in return for your money. But that doesn't make as much money as people giving money to GOG so they don't do that.
You do realise, that you only need the GOG account to PURCHASE, and thereafter DOWNLOAD, the game you paid for, right?

Once you've downloaded it, that game IS YOURS FOREVER. You can make thousands of backups and stash them in secret bunkers throughout the world, so that when the apocalypse hits and your gaming rig is caught in the initial nuclear blasts that wipe out humanity (including GOG's servers and personnel and even the Internet itself), you can reinstall your game to any other compatible computer (if you can find any after all the nuking).

And why the hell would I want to order physical copies of stuff? I then have to put them somewhere. The CDs/DVSs will eventually die (possibly faster than HDs, especially if you move your stuff around when you upgrade HDs, or you have a cloud storage for your stuff, or any other solutions). Someone then has to expend resources to produce the media, copy to the media, ship the media - all that is passed on to the customer, it's more of a pain in the ass for everyone involved, and to top it off even with my really inferior third-world Internet, it's still faster to download almost anything than it is to get it shipped via premium express post.

Wow and I thought that Kanashe was retarded, but you have just taken it up a notch. Actually you've taken it up so many notches, that I'm not sure when the Universe will manage to generate someone as amazingly retarded. If it wasn't a total pain in the ass, I would personally design, produce and ship a Retarded Moron of the Year statue to you. Well done.
clayborn902: I have always held the belief that the only thing that should keep you from playing a game is it's rating, hardware and having enough money to buy the game.
gamesfreak64: i dont do ratings , i always decide for myself so ratings are down the drain for me.
My main issues are money................. cashflow is extremely low (never been high tbh) and hardware is quite expensive
when 400 to 600 guilders were enough ( yuo could reuse old windows on new hardware) today it will cost > 600 euros ,
exchange rate of 2.20371 guilders = 1 Euro , so the new setup will be 2.2 times as expensive.

Unaffordable unless your willing to wait and save 2 years or more .....

Kanashe: Oh, I'd say GOG is run by elitist assholes, who have their heads really far up their own asses. While the community is mostly made of people who consider themselves special or part of some "movement" by buying games from GoG or supporting them.
gamesfreak64: I like the movement thing you mentioned :D a nice green shirt with GOG on it would be nice, then again i'm too old for that, but 20 years ago it would have been fun to have.
That's actually a great (albeit potentially cheesy and cringeworthy) idea - FCK DRM T-SHIRTS!

People will do a triple-take for these. First because FCK, then they'll go "French Connection - people still wearing those?", then they'll look again for the third time.

Probably needs some subtitle or something on the back - website address will probably suffice. Keep it mysterious enough that people will feel compelled to look into it.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by squid830
RusNeuroMancer: Windows verify if it's licensed via MS servers. Hence, The Witcher 3 require DRM platform (Windows) to run.
Magmarock: Oh right the platforms have DRM. Yeah that can't really be helped I think.
Yes, it could be helped. Release The Witcher 3 for Linux!
GOG.com: ...
Another thing, GOG. If you seriously want to FCK DRM, how about using Galaxy to circumvent the proprietary server DRM that some multiplayer games have? Add a feature to Galaxy that allows us to set up private servers or connect games via LAN that don't have their own LAN-mode. With that you would show that you are serious about wanting to fight DRM! ( see here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/galaxy_multiplayer_and_drm )
Post edited August 23, 2018 by Lifthrasil
lazarhead: Thank you, GOG, for spearheading this conversation. DRM is not only making games run worse, but ensures 10 years from now, they would be unplayable.
darthspudius: I hate to tell you this but games have had DRM on them going back multiple generations. It's nothing new and doesn't necessarily effect performance.
Teppic: Is this really called fuck DRM? Is GOG run by 12 year olds?
darthspudius: That was my first initial thought. Of all names, they had to pick something to immature and one that makes them look remarkably unprofessional. It kind of makes me sad as a customer to know I supported these idiots. What is also kind of sad is that people around here support it too. How stupid do people need to be, really?!

I'm waiting for the moderator to come delete our posts because wrong think.
You only think the abbreviation FCK is immature because on first glance, you think it spells something it doesn't. But it doesn't actually spell that now, does it? It just that it looks like that to you at first sight, and for some reason this offends you, in this day and age when far more offensive things are commonplace in most societies.

So the problem is obviously you. Do you also see penises when you look at the clouds, and are shocked at how filthy nature is?

BTW I doubt GOG will delete your posts - since that would ironically go against one of the main reasons DRM is shit.

Interestingly, I have noticed people giving low ratings to posts such as yours, which I personally don't agree with (the giving low ratings that is). Those low rating things are supposed to be to filter out stuff that shouldn't exist on this site or this forum - like someone linking to someone fornicating with a donkey with an offensive slogan about exterminating vegan Muslims or something - not to filter opinions that they don't agree with.

You're simply complaining about something, and while I may not agree with you or your reasoning, you're not actually doing anything that will censor it (GOG may change it, but if they feel the need to pander to the ultra-sensitive, or they agree with certain people that borderline immature filthy humour has no place on a gaming website because for some reason all communications from all corporations must be 100% family-friendly and politically correct at all times, then that's up to them and I won't really care. I will simply be disappointed that political correctness has once again expanded to destroy ever more of our society, and lament the engulfing of yet another voice in the ever-expanding PC quagmire).
squid830: Er, yes. You do not have to use cloud saves for a game if you don't want to. I don't. It's a choice, it's mandatory. You may want to look up the words "optional" and "mandatory" before you continue attempting to present the illusion of a retarded crack monkey throwing up something that may one day resemble an ill-conceived argument, so at least said argument will contain slightly fewer hilarious inaccuracies.

Not entirely sure how you equate cloud saves with DRM, since cloud saves have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with DRM. They have nothing in common with DRM, and certainly were never created for any purpose that even closely resembles any purpose that DRM was ever created for or used for, and they can not ever be used in any realistic way for any purpose that DRM was created for or used for, ever.

Don't forget to feed that monkey - it can't live on crack alone!
Kanashe: Wanna tell that to all the retards who equate Cloud Saves stuff with DRM? Because, yeah there are people like that and they are in your DRM-Free camp. So yeah, you gathering of retards are the ones who started this bullshit in the 1st place. Listen, I get that mofos like you only exist so you can keep going with that DRM-Free crap, in hopes that something will change one day and all companies will stop doing it. But, well it ain't gonna happen, I mean you guys can keep dreaming that companies will suddenly take GOG's initiative (which they won't), but at some point you'll just have to accept it and live with it. But hey, until then enjoys sucking up to GOG or whatever is you sad mistakes of nature do.
I have yet to ever encounter someone who is in the DRM-free camp and equates cloud saves with DRM. So far I've only ever encountered one being who believes that cloud saves == DRM, and that is you. And you obviously enjoy being raped by large corporations, because with DRM you get fucked hard by Uncle EA and his filthy ilk.

I will never, ever accept DRM. There are a number of companies that don't do DRM, and (hopefully) never will. Any game that comes with DRM is a game I will not buy. There will always be alternatives.

In some countries, people said the same thing about discriminating against people based on the colour of their skin, or giving women the vote... "It'll never happen". Never say never - the anti-DRM movement is already much larger than it was when that crap first started appearing - most likely helped by all the people screwed over by always-on DRM shit - and unless large corporations buy out or exterminate all anti-DRM companies, it will continue to grow.
high rated
Kanashe: I simply don't give two shits about this DRM-free bullshit movement,
Of course! In fact I see that you posted 30 times in this thread because you want everyone to know that you don't give two shits about it.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by ZFR
Engerek01: Did anyone else notice that people who dislike GOG's DRM view are also the people who promote Piracy?
On this forum I'd say there's plenty of people who are simply ideologically against DRM, but yes there's definitely a lot of cheering on piracy forums about this particular topic so there's no doubt pirates among the fans as well.