It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Trilarion: Galaxy bundled installers
Didn't they improve greatly on this by now bundling 1 meg web installers to download Galaxy rather than bundling Galaxy anymore?
Just saying, if my statement above is accurate, we should give credit where due for improvements.
Still no Fireflower Games or Zoom in the list.
Post edited August 24, 2018 by Klumpen0815
Gede: I totally support this Full Consumer Knowledge on DRM. People should be informed.
That's great! It even fits with the shape of the logo:
Full Consumer Knowledge
on
Digital Rights Management

Though, personally I'd prefer "customer" instead. The word "consumer" always sounds to me like the sellers are trying to shove something down my throat, or treat me like a kitchen-sink garbage disposal. At least as a "customer" it seems like they might at least try to romance me a little bit first and talk with me rather than at me.

I mean, "consumer" seems like they are done with me as soon as they get my money, that they aren't interested in supporting their products, that they'll just keep pumping out new stuff and dropping the old. Whereas "customer" seems like they are interested in maintaining relations, as if they are more likely to service their products. That's what comes to my mind when hearing those words in the context of purchases.
Post edited August 24, 2018 by thomq
Klumpen0815: Still no Fireflower Games or Zoom in the list.
Zoom won't be. Yeah, still waiting for FF too, since they said they tried using that listed e-mail and it bounced, will try again and if still no luck contact support.
Klumpen0815: Still no Fireflower Games or Zoom in the list.
They don't want to hold a mirror up to their own. Of course I am willing to be proven wrong if someone can show me the latest two worlds 2 content played single player offline...yep, not even bothering with that any more eh? Now is "no drm except games built with it at the core".
nightcraw1er.488: I am willing to be proven wrong if someone can show me the latest two worlds 2 content played single player offline...yep, not even bothering with that any more eh? Now is "no drm except games built with it at the core".
According to the listed "features" and also the very first post in the release thread, confirmed in the 2nd by Judas, both parts of this DLC are multiplayer only, there will be another one that will have SP, so unless somebody'll change the game to make it SP when the devs won't, that's not exactly a fair request. They SHOULD mark the games in some obvious way though, to make sure people really know they're MP only.
If you hate DRM and want steam to know about it. Join the revolution
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/fckdrm

We will take this message in Steam too!! Please do give your support there too :)
The book publisher, Baen, requires all of their ebooks to be distributed DRM free. They also have a library where you can download and read a bunch of books for free.
low rated
Magmarock: Let me break this down for you.

1. go to website

2. download exe

3. double click exe

4. Archive exe, for it work with all versions and future versions of Windows for years to come.
xyem: Hahaha! Everyone who has experienced more than 1 version of Windows knows that isn't how it works. Sure, the executable is likely to run, but that doesn't mean it'll do anything useful.

Magmarock: you have any image to understand the "type of slurping" that you want,
xyem: Which part of selective mirroring did you not understand?
Do you not understand bash code. Look at the script again.
There's much room for improvement, yet I'm glad that the campaign is there. I'm among those who believe that there are better names out there.

Personally, having being more a console player I haven't been too unlucky with copy protection back then, apart from a few games with an activation key (and in my collection I can count them on one hand).

DRM struck me hard when I purchased an OUYA. A great idea for a console in my opinion despite the hate bandwagon, but what a nightmare for DRMed games. No way to know beforehand if a game could be played offline as there was no information anywhere about their DRM status. I remember asking to every single developer if their games had DRM or not before buying, and OUYA Inc encouraged the practice of implementing them, and compiling online spreadsheets with the information I gathered. Thanks to GOG and a few other sites I don't need to do this anymore.

Since I've decided to spare physical space in my little house, save a few more trees and produce less plastic, I'm trying to turn my entertainment collection as digital as possible: games, books (ironically, I can't find a DRM-free Italian edition of The Witcher's epubs), movies (will film studios ever learn?), music. But they all have the same minimum requirement to be DRM-free.
My little contribution to a healthier market.

For the future I hope to see a sort of DRM-free consortium offering this kind of goods together, and this looks like a beginning.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by Jeffry84
high rated
@Magmarock: it seems to me that's no longer as you say. Today some Windows installers are just a few KB and the only thing they do is downloading the full program, so so much for offline installing. They could be an exception, but I don't know for how long.
And the installation process today looks more like:
1: download the installer;
2: launch the installer;
3: accept the EULA;
4: uncheck the voice asking you if you want to install the Superduper Toolbar;
5: uncheck the voice asking you if you want to change your search engine to reallysuspiciousengine.kgb;
6: click on "Yes" a couple of times;
7: check the voice asking you if you really don't want also Chrome as your browser;
8: restart your PC;
9: revert your search engine to the one you used before reallysuspiciousengine.kgb;
10: find a guide to remove the Superduper Toolbar.
11: ignore 725 pop-ups asking you to switch to the premium version of the program.

This repeated for every single installation and update which have to be done one. By. One.

I give you that usually to install something on GNU/Linux it's better to be online and hence to be able to reach the repository mirror to download all the dependencies. But honestly, apart from that, I guess the only thing that won't work offline is my weather widget (and browsing, of course).
But at least with one command or a few clicks my system is up-to-date (at least repository wise, but that's enough for me and I chose so) and no program begs me constantly to update or to switch to some premium versions.

DRM wise, I guess it's more likely that Microsoft is more interested in your latest searches and what you do with your PC than Debian or the FSF. I can't say the same for Ubuntu though.

Moreover, the last time I used Windows 10 was on a friend's PC. Her wi-fi was off and we couldn't login to the system without an internet connection. This doesn't happen on GNU/Linux.

Honestly, I find Windows behaving more and more aggressively in time, whereas my Debian Stable experience has been quite peaceful. All can always be improved, no need to mention that.
I guess it's also a matter of habit and personal tastes. I'd choose repositories and manual global updates against mandatory, automatic, and irritating one by one updates anytime.
high rated
Magmarock: 1. You're first point does confuse since it's often singleplayer games that are hurt the most by DRM. DRM actually makes a little more sense in multiplayer games because it can also prevent cheating. apprenlty the mutliplayer is the reason Doom 2016 wasn't released here on gog. Which is a real shame because if they removed it and released only the singleplayer version of the game I'd still buy it.
The reality is not because doom has multiplayer it's that game companies simply stopped coding games that gave you the complete game. Duke 3D, doom and quake all have multiplayer and it didn't prevent you from owning and controlling the entire game. Modern "single player" games like doom purposely hold hostage the multiplayer/server code on the other side of the internet. They simply keep the matchmaking server code on some amazon or server inside their corporate offices. It's basically fraud but since the average gamer buyer is too computer illiterate to notice or care, part of the game is already being coded in a fraudulent and dishonest way.

The reality is same shit happened to diablo 3 and starcraft 2. Ever since riot games and mobile saw huge income from microtransaction, the big push is to finally get rid of game ownship completely and there isn't much gamers can do about it because they have zero market power. GOG is basically a small outpost in a river of game buying morons who don't give a fuck about videogames or videogame history.
Jeffry84: @Magmarock: it seems to me that's no longer as you say. Today some Windows installers are just a few KB and the only thing they do is downloading the full program, so so much for offline installing. They could be an exception, but I don't know for how long.
And the installation process today looks more like:
1: download the installer;
2: launch the installer;
3: accept the EULA;
4: uncheck the voice asking you if you want to install the Superduper Toolbar;
5: uncheck the voice asking you if you want to change your search engine to reallysuspiciousengine.kgb;
6: click on "Yes" a couple of times;
7: check the voice asking you if you really don't want also Chrome as your browser;
8: restart your PC;
9: revert your search engine to the one you used before reallysuspiciousengine.kgb;
10: find a guide to remove the Superduper Toolbar.
11: ignore 725 pop-ups asking you to switch to the premium version of the program.

This repeated for every single installation and update which have to be done one. By. One.

I give you that usually to install something on GNU/Linux it's better to be online and hence to be able to reach the repository mirror to download all the dependencies. But honestly, apart from that, I guess the only thing that won't work offline is my weather widget (and browsing, of course).
But at least with one command or a few clicks my system is up-to-date (at least repository wise, but that's enough for me and I chose so) and no program begs me constantly to update or to switch to some premium versions.

DRM wise, I guess it's more likely that Microsoft is more interested in your latest searches and what you do with your PC than Debian or the FSF. I can't say the same for Ubuntu though.

Moreover, the last time I used Windows 10 was on a friend's PC. Her wi-fi was off and we couldn't login to the system without an internet connection. This doesn't happen on GNU/Linux.

Honestly, I find Windows behaving more and more aggressively in time, whereas my Debian Stable experience has been quite peaceful. All can always be improved, no need to mention that.
I guess it's also a matter of habit and personal tastes. I'd choose repositories and manual global updates against mandatory, automatic, and irritating one by one updates anytime.
Agree.

xyem: ...
Magmarock: Let me break this down for you.

1. go to website

2. download exe

3. double click exe

4. Archive exe, for it work with all versions and future versions of Windows for years to come.

Linux

do this https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Deb-Mint-Cin-18.2.sh
Read this :

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Computer_Security_Education#Windows_Hosts

Now tell me ONE reason to use Windows.
Post edited August 25, 2018 by AngeLusFr
low rated
Jeffry84: ...
If you want someone to notice your response use the reply button. Anyway, that's a gross exaggeration of how to install thing in Windows.
high rated
Magmarock: If you want someone to notice your response use the reply button.
And if you want to get into yet another Linux vs Windows discussion, at least do it in a more appropriate thread. I don't think OSes fit into anyone's definition of DRM.