It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
TheGreatDustpan: Probably could've picked a better name.
maybe.... but this one is simple : no dictionary required : no degree needed, just plain English:
FCK DRM , no need to do research looking for a suitable name, plain and simple: FCK DRM will do.
I'm tempted to assume that GOG purposefully chose the rules for inclusion so that they're the only games vendor listed.
The list claims to contain "sources of DRM-free art and media". Itch.io and Humblebundle are sources of DRM-free games, just as much as grocery stores are sources of tomatoes. Whether a media store also carries media with DRM is irrevelant for someone looking for stores that carry DRM-free media.

Please, GOG, don't make this a marketing stunt! Show that you care and reward stores that have (clearly labelled) DRM-free games.

At least the following should be included:
http://fireflowergames.com/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&drm=download
I found no clear way on itch.io to filter for DRM-free games so I wouldn't recommend it.

mirage2000: Stallman was right.
Of course he was, though his free software philosophy is more about software as a tool and doesn't directly apply to games and other media. He has (understandably) a different view on what ethical media should be. See: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-versus-community.en.html
victorchopin: I don't hate steam from the bottom of my guts but man I was scared when I saw that I had "acquired" licenses. I want games, damn, my games. To own, you know?

Got me this ps4 game the other day (Assetto Corsa) phisically. Is that a... license? f**c no!
That's a game, period. I own it. As mr. F. Zappa once said, I quote: ""Communism (or steam licenses) doesn't work because people like to own stuff."
Just to point out any software you have to install is licensed.

However a License is a thing, like stocks or bonds or the money in your bank account. It might not physically exist but it is there. its important, you own it and it has value

Having a license is good, it means you can use the installer to put the game onto your machine.

With Steam you get a license, but you also get a subscription. The subscription is what you need to download, install, and unlock the DRM.

You don't own the subscription, its not yours it controlled by Valve.
TheGreatDustpan: Probably could've picked a better name.
My suggestion:

FUСK D*M
I like it. Even if its marketing based, it gets the message across.

I once had a talk with someone who asked me what DRM actually means (they thought it was "copyright protection" in name alone) and it took me like 30 minutes to explain, which this it will be far easier to do so, so thank you for that.

victorchopin: "Communism (or steam licenses) doesn't work because people like to own stuff."
I know its more of a joke but you seem serious.

Not to get too political on here but you're conflating communism with capitalism, that little thing which gave us DRM in the first place. The Problem with Digital Rights Laws is that they let the publishers dictate what should be done rather than giving the costumers fundamental costumer rights. gog actually does well in partaking in the discourse surrounding all of this. Before The Witcher got really popular nobody really cared much about all of this apart from a few people, compared to the vast spaces of gaming communities that exist. I've once read that The Witcher 3 sold millions on here alone so thats a huge success, more and more people actually seem to be in for this idea.

Once more and more people become aware that most DRM is actual garbage, the more people will seek out alternatives. gog and itch.io are simply just first steps towards the idea that you can have a functioning industry without needlessly strict rights for the costumer. The next step would be Steam actually dropping itself as DRM and remove most Copy Protection mechanisms to make it able to play at least single player games without using Steam or have stuff like Denuvo around. Some games already do this and thats great.

I think that every DRM free copy bought of whatever game is a success in that regard. As they like to say, the DRM-free revolution will not be televised.
Offensive name, I demand an apology and deletion of the name.

It really is just marketing until GOG mentions other DRM-free game sites
Post edited August 21, 2018 by tfishell
high rated
Praiseworthy initiative, I am surprised that people have not yet learned the enormous harm that DRM can do to honest customers.
These are just two of the most famous cases where DRM has caused damage:
https://kotaku.com/5988600/simcity-launch-plagued-by-locked-games-download-issues-and-server-queues
http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63365-Diablo-IIIs-DRM-Launch-Disaster.html

#FCKDRM
I can't stand DRM, I hate it since it appeared in it's most irritating form back in 2004 with Half Life 2 and the Steam client. Because many indie developers decide to publish their games on Steam only, I also have a Steam account however. Many of those developers don't infect their games with Steam's own DRM-system, Steamworks, so the games are basically the same as games are on GOG: Once downloaded, I can keep them forever and copy and paste them on my other PC even if Steam itself dies. My "modus operandi" with those games is strict and clear: I buy a game, download it. Then I quit the Steam client and try to start the game. If the game wants me to start the Client to play it, I uninstall it and ask for a refund.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Wolfram_von_Thal
low rated
tfishell: Offensive name, I demand an apology and deletion of the name.
haha, this!
ginfanta: I was surprised to see a quote from Gabe Newell on the https://fckdrm.com/ link.
mechmouse: I'm not
What people say and what they do can often be entirely conflicting.

However when what you do and say conflict, don't be surprised when people use your words as ammunition against you.
Mawthra: What good is DRM-free if the batting average for newer games getting consistent updates (and possibly abandoned) abysmal?
mechmouse: Its a long term thing, need to get more players and pubs backing DRM so things like that stop happening.
EA is at GOG and i have some games , only because i had them retail like crusader no regret, and a few old dos adventure games, but the games we all want will never come:

C&C games, Dune games and maybe a few i dont remeber right now but the c&c and dune are the games i played a lot.
Those games will NEVER arrive DRM free here, not in a gazillion years, i have the originals (retail) but that stuf is so badly programmed it wont run properly on multi/quad cores, it runs on win 98 to win7 64 bits but frying the cpu is not running a game but ruining a PC cause the game has problems with a multicore and quad core which is a sign of bad programming cause many old ( unpatched) games run on a quadcore under win 7 64 bits, the blame is westwood.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Barry_Woodward
low rated
Erpy: Is the site aimed at anyone other than the already-converted?
it's a total circle jerk.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Barry_Woodward
mechmouse: Steam, the client, is DRM.
OneFiercePuppy: No, it isn't. Here's one proof, which is all that is necessary to disprove a claim as broad and incorrect as yours.
Install a DOSBox game you got from GOG. Master of Magic, say. Add it to your Steam library manually. Launch it.
Go back to your Steam client. Launch a game you bought on Steam.
Both games are now running.

You are wrong because you mistakenly associate the clients passing of DRM information with DRM. The client is not DRM. The client helps DRM function. It passes along DRM information. It is not DRM. If it were, then I could not simultaneously run Master of Magic and Hexcells side by side, launched from the Steam client. But I am doing so right now.
While I agree steam will not attempt to enacts its DRM for games launched that way, The Steam Client will try to enforce its DRM onto DRM Free games bought bound to Steam when launched via default methods
Haha, love the name! I did not know about Openlibra and now, thanks to you, I do! Also consider putting Smashwords there, it's an eBook platform that also likes to FCKDRM.