It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
high rated
victorchopin: I don't hate steam from the bottom of my guts but man I was scared when I saw that I had "acquired" licenses. I want games, damn, my games. To own, you know?

Got me this ps4 game the other day (Assetto Corsa) phisically. Is that a... license? f**c no!
That's a game, period. I own it. As mr. F. Zappa once said, I quote: ""Communism (or steam licenses) doesn't work because people like to own stuff."
mechmouse: Just to point out any software you have to install is licensed.

However a License is a thing, like stocks or bonds or the money in your bank account. It might not physically exist but it is there. its important, you own it and it has value

Having a license is good, it means you can use the installer to put the game onto your machine.

With Steam you get a license, but you also get a subscription. The subscription is what you need to download, install, and unlock the DRM.

You don't own the subscription, its not yours it controlled by Valve.
I know thats why Gabes reply/quote suprised me , unless the majority really believes he really sells DRM free games/software :D hahaha , which is far from, but many users seem to be so gullible they believe everything and anything they hear, see and or read.....
high rated
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one...
... but we dropped it for multiplayer games.

Here. Completed that sentence for you.

How about extending your FCK DRM initiative to multiplayer games too? LAN isn't difficult. Neither is allowing players to set up their own servers and host their own multiplayer games. It's just a decision on the dev's or publisher's part. Of course with private servers you won't get persistent world global games and all those 'features' associated with centralized, proprietary servers. But DRM-free is all about choice. I want to be able to choose not to join that global community and just play with friends. I want to be able to choose not to use that 'optional' client and still play multiplayer games.
If a multiplayer game is tied to a proprietary server, it will stop working once that server is down. If a multiplayer game requires Galaxy, control over that game lies with GOG, not with the customer. So, forcing a single server or a single client on a multiplayer game has exactly the same drawbacks as DRM has.

So, GOG. Please return to the ideal which you pretend to hold up with this initiative. Change the multiplayer of the games you own to allow private servers and encourage or force other publishers who sell their games on GOG to do the same.
high rated
Lifthrasil: Change the multiplayer of the games you own to allow private servers and encourage or force other publishers who sell their games on GOG to do the same.
Priority #1 is they need to force developers and publishers to keep the dang games up to date on GOG
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Mawthra
Loaderini: Haha, love the name! I did not know about Openlibra and now, thanks to you, I do! Also consider putting Smashwords there, it's an eBook platform that also likes to FCKDRM.
yup i just read the : https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#drm

Well, i dont read use ebooks, rather get a nice real book , but i wil never give or lend something i paid for, noway ...
what is mine is mine :D "every man for himself" is my motto
high rated
Ahhh, yes: Project Gutenberg, a wonderful resource!

At least, it *WAS* a wonderful resource until some asshole publisher in Germany sued them and the dumb fucking court decided to side with the publisher, so Project Gutenberg had to block access to German IPs entirely. Let that be a lesson to you all: Enjoy your online libraries while you can! They may be DRM-free, but that won't prevent some dumbfuck court from eventually blocking your access anyway.

So #FCKGermanCourts and #FCKSFischerVerlag!
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one...
Lifthrasil: ... but we dropped it for multiplayer games.

Here. Completed that sentence for you.

How about extending your FCK DRM initiative to multiplayer games too? LAN isn't difficult. Neither is allowing players to set up their own servers and host their own multiplayer games. It's just a decision on the dev's or publisher's part. Of course with private servers you won't get persistent world global games and all those 'features' associated with centralized, proprietary servers. But DRM-free is all about choice. I want to be able to choose not to join that global community and just play with friends. I want to be able to choose not to use that 'optional' client and still play multiplayer games.
If a multiplayer game is tied to a proprietary server, it will stop working once that server is down. If a multiplayer game requires Galaxy, control over that game lies with GOG, not with the customer. So, forcing a single server or a single client on a multiplayer game has exactly the same drawbacks as DRM has.

So, GOG. Please return to the ideal which you pretend to hold up with this initiative. Change the multiplayer of the games you own to allow private servers and encourage or force other publishers who sell their games on GOG to do the same.
I dont play LAN (local pcs) anymore and i wont play online ( i dont count simple browsergames as real online multiplayer), but you made a point................. but if they won't do it, i wont be bothered by it because i stick to browsergames
nightcraw1er.488: Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
wolfsite: To be fair they are the only online store where all games (excluding Gwent since that is an online multiplayer game) are exclusively DRM free. Other sites that offer DRM free also offer Steam Keys and have games that are only available with Steam DRM.

Other factor could just be that other store fronts have not contacted GOG to be asked to be put on the list.
There are lots of stores which offer drm free, try fireflower which is one that jumps to mind.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors
Lifthrasil: Change the multiplayer of the games you own to allow private servers and encourage or force other publishers who sell their games on GOG to do the same.
Mawthra: Priority #1 is they need to force developers and publishers to keep the dang games up to date on GOG
Good idea/ suggestion, but they ( developers/publishers) might reply that they already release the games DRM free, and forccing to have updates is a form of 'force' they might not like, just as many don't like DRM.

Anyway its very complicated cause "DRM is a disease and there is only one cure" ( adapted it from Cobra)
or "DRM is the disease. Meet the Cure" ( enter name here).
high rated
GOG.com: ...
Also your list of DRM-free sources is very incomplete. Especially in the Games section. Of course I understand that you are using this initiative mainly as advertisement for yourselves, but as it is now the information you provide is false. You create the impression that GOG is the only place where to get DRM-free games, but that's not true. I understand that you don't want to advertise for competitors, but at least add 'and others' to that line.

Or if you actually want to be honest and not only advertise GOG, then you should add fireflower games and Zoom platform to that list. Both are 100% DRM-free (i.e. even more DRM-free than GOG). You might also add itch.io, which is mostly DRM-free.

In the books section you might add audio-books: Librivox. It's not only DRM-free, it is completely free because those are public-domain works read by volunteers.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Lifthrasil
mechmouse: I'm not
What people say and what they do can often be entirely conflicting.

However when what you do and say conflict, don't be surprised when people use your words as ammunition against you.

Its a long term thing, need to get more players and pubs backing DRM so things like that stop happening.
gamesfreak64: EA is at GOG and i have some games , only because i had them retail like crusader no regret, and a few old dos adventure games, but the games we all want will never come:

C&C games, Dune games and maybe a few i dont remeber right now but the c&c and dune are the games i played a lot.
Those games will NEVER arrive DRM free here, not in a gazillion years, i have the originals (retail) but that stuf is so badly programmed it wont run properly on multi/quad cores, it runs on win 98 to win7 64 bits but frying the cpu is not running a game but ruining a PC cause the game has problems with a multicore and quad core which is a sign of bad programming cause many old ( unpatched) games run on a quadcore under win 7 64 bits, the blame is westwood.
You do realise that C&C/ RA had a period when the classic games C&C and RA could be downloaded for free, right?
As a matter of fact I legally own disk images from that period and those images do not install DRM upon installation and/ or running the games. I do agree with you that without recompilation from the source, those classics won't take advantage of multi-core systems natively and many of them won't install/ play on modern systems without an OS layer/ emulator that is compatible with them.

Also, Westwood (Studios) has sadly being assimilated by EA and exists today in name only.
Although to be fair, EA is not to blame for the situation that led to said assimilation. The cause was mismanagement by the board of Westwood. When they were on the verge of bankruptcy, EA merely swooped in to secure the assets.
The only company afaik. that has the rights to recompile the games is EA, though there might be other rights holders involved. Don't loose hope, even System Shock 2 has eventually been revived by the legal and negotiation efforts of Studio Nightdive.
Lifthrasil: Or if you actually want to be honest and not only advertise GOG, then you should add fireflower games and Zoom platform to that list. Both are 100% DRM-free (i.e. even more DRM-free than GOG). You might also add itch.io, which is mostly DRM-free.
Also, 3DRealms store is 100% DRM free
Great initiative. I don't think a lot of people realize how precarious their "ownership" of their digital collections is. Really cool that you're including all kinds of media and not just games.

You should include or make a mention of the Internet Archive on the site. I don't believe there's any DRM and they provide a plethora of content.
fronzelneekburm: Ahhh, yes: Project Gutenberg, a wonderful resource!

At least, it *WAS* a wonderful resource until some asshole publisher in Germany sued them and the dumb fucking court decided to side with the publisher, so Project Gutenberg had to block access to German IPs entirely. Let that be a lesson to you all: Enjoy your online libraries while you can! They may be DRM-free, but that won't prevent some dumbfuck court from eventually blocking your access anyway.

So #FCKGermanCourts and #FCKSFischerVerlag!
dejavu feeling :D

so a court decided to do dumb things, we have many dumb rulings aswell, but don't worry by 2025 there will be one law and one rule: EUSSR or something like that name might be adjusted/ changed ....
The 'good' thing is : one law one justice so everyone gets the same judgement :D ( not !!!!) hahahaa

Anyway if they could delay it till say 2045 and then make one rule fits all of Europe...
i'd be gone then ..... to the spirit in the sky .......

link to original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQxH_8raCI
Post edited August 21, 2018 by gamesfreak64
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
Desmight: Steam's EULA uses the word "subscription" (it's actually called Steam's Subscriber Agreement now) . The store uses the word "buy", but it doesn't tell you that you're just buying a subscription (not a license, a subscription).
because you are buying a game license, but subscribing the the Steam services to manage it. these are two different things.

you are not renting or subscribing the game license, you are buying it. exactly the same as here on gOg.
nightcraw1er.488: Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
wolfsite: To be fair they are the only online store where all games (excluding Gwent since that is an online multiplayer game) are exclusively DRM free. Other sites that offer DRM free also offer Steam Keys and have games that are only available with Steam DRM.

Other factor could just be that other store fronts have not contacted GOG to be asked to be put on the list.
no they are not. there are other stores, such as Fireflower, where all games are DRM free.... and they do not have any grey area games such as Absolver or Gwent.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by amok
gamesfreak64: EA is at GOG and i have some games , only because i had them retail like crusader no regret, and a few old dos adventure games, but the games we all want will never come:

C&C games, Dune games and maybe a few i dont remeber right now but the c&c and dune are the games i played a lot.
Those games will NEVER arrive DRM free here, not in a gazillion years, i have the originals (retail) but that stuf is so badly programmed it wont run properly on multi/quad cores, it runs on win 98 to win7 64 bits but frying the cpu is not running a game but ruining a PC cause the game has problems with a multicore and quad core which is a sign of bad programming cause many old ( unpatched) games run on a quadcore under win 7 64 bits, the blame is westwood.
jorlin: You do realise that C&C/ RA had a period when the classic games C&C and RA could be downloaded for free, right?
As a matter of fact I legally own disk images from that period and those images do not install DRM upon installation and/ or running the games. I do agree with you that without recompilation from the source, those classics won't take advantage of multi-core systems natively and many of them won't install/ play on modern systems without an OS layer/ emulator that is compatible with them.

Also, Westwood (Studios) has sadly being assimilated by EA and exists today in name only.
Although to be fair, EA is not to blame for the situation that led to said assimilation. The cause was mismanagement by the board of Westwood. When they were on the verge of bankruptcy, EA merely swooped in to secure the assets.
The only company afaik. that has the rights to recompile the games is EA, though there might be other rights holders involved. Don't loose hope, even System Shock 2 has eventually been revived by the legal and negotiation efforts of Studio Nightdive.
i know about the gesture EA made :D i dont trust EA if the games are not from GOG, i need 100% DRM free games
btw i doubt if they fixed the multicore , EA loves to fix their wallets. thats what they really love to do.
Eeven the first decade is old shites i bought the box hoping it would fix the extreme cpu but nope.... so all they added were the imho ugly other cc generals, i also dislike RA3 and everythin after that with that imho ugly graphics thats 3d aswell...

MrFortyFive: Great initiative. I don't think a lot of people realize how precarious their "ownership" of their digital collections is. Really cool that you're including all kinds of media and not just games.

You should include or make a mention of the Internet Archive on the site. I don't believe there's any DRM and they provide a plethora of content.
I love the word plethora, reminds me of 3 amigos:

https://youtu.be/-mTUmczVdik?t=33s
Post edited August 21, 2018 by gamesfreak64