It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
low rated
For crying out loud. Look, I understand not tying yourselves down to DRM and I too miss the old days of just being able to load from a disc. BUT this is really immature... and that's coming from someone who likes immaturity. This is literally just a cheap marketing stunt. Get over yourselves.
high rated
I was surprised to see a quote from Gabe Newell on the https://fckdrm.com/ link.
low rated
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one.
somberfox: In truth, it was only a side affect of the site's original focus of being about old classic games, from a time period where DRM didn't really exist. Being DRM free wasn't really at the heart of GOG until they started offering newer games and then they shifted their focus to being DRM free.
I miss those old days. People were not annoying preach butt holes back then.
ssokolow: It is specifically a gallery of places that guarantee their entire catalogue will be DRM-free. (No, I don't know how they reconcile Gwent with that.)
Because you need to distinguish between software and service

The software is DRM free, but to access the service you need to have an account.

I fully understand that ranked, match making service needs a secure and traceable system, and that requires account authentication.

I believe Gwent will be getting an offline mode at some later point.
For as long as games have been available to purchase digitally (and movies too) I've been fairly outspoken against them. Back when iTunes first popped up i questioned my friends why they would rather buy their music on a device that could lock them out of it if they did something like forget a password, or change the email associated with their account instead of just buying a CD and being able to rip it for the same music whenever they wanted.

Sadly, it's not really feasible to own everything as physical media these days. I will still only buy my movies on disc, same with my music, and MOST console games but unfortunately Steam holds most of my PC games though ive trended toward GoG when available. Ive never liked the fact that if i buy a game digitally i have no actual ownership of it, that i could lose it for any number of reasons.
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
Desmight: Steam's EULA uses the word "subscription" (it's actually called Steam's Subscriber Agreement now) . The store uses the word "buy", but it doesn't tell you that you're just buying a subscription (not a license, a subscription).
I've had arguments with people that absolutely deny that Steam is a subscription service, there argument is "you don't pay a monthly fee" and when shown the SSA they say "it doesn't mean that".
high rated
Probably could've picked a better name.

Sure, DRM might not affect you right now, but corporations hold the key and they'll only let you in as long as you can repeatedly prove ownership.
Pheace: I guess that confirms GOG Galaxy doesn't require ownership on the logged in account to access multiplayer as was asserted in a previous thread.
Server based Multiplayer is a service
What good is DRM-free if the batting average for newer games getting consistent updates (and possibly abandoned) abysmal?
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Mawthra
ginfanta: I was surprised to see a quote from Gabe Newell on the https://fckdrm.com/ link.
I'm not
What people say and what they do can often be entirely conflicting.

However when what you do and say conflict, don't be surprised when people use your words as ammunition against you.
Mawthra: What good is DRM-free if the batting average for newer games getting consistent updates (and possibly abandoned) abysmal?
Its a long term thing, need to get more players and pubs backing DRM so things like that stop happening.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by mechmouse
high rated
mechmouse: Because you need to distinguish between software and service

The software is DRM free, but to access the service you need to have an account.

I fully understand that ranked, match making service needs a secure and traceable system, and that requires account authentication.

I believe Gwent will be getting an offline mode at some later point.
Imo this is just a convenient distinction. Just like they are describing on that website, if you ask most people here what their issue with DRM is, it's a lack of control over what you purchased. It's the idea that some day some other than yourself is going to say "Nope! You're not playing today!" and you can't do anything about it.

That's what most people have issues with, and lately GOG is heading in that exact same direction. It's at best a convenient distinction to exclude multiplayer from that. Of course there are huge benefits to having multiplayer accounts linked to ownership so you can control the experience and keep it as good as possible. Of course there are huge benefits to managing the digital access rights to your multiplayer experience.

That doesn't change what it is. It's outside control over a portion of your game. And rather than GOG offering a unique matchmaking service that guarantees some form of multiplayer without third party control (direct connect, LAN) they've jumped in and are offering *and* promoting developers to use a matchmaking service which is exactly that, a third party control over your multiplayer. A service that one day is going to end and take that part of your game with it.

mechmouse: Server based Multiplayer is a service
Yes, and this is what gaming has and continues to be headed towards, even here on GOG. I'm honestly getting the impression that DRM-Free is slowly becoming a less meaningful term as time goes on. In 10-20 years it may be largely irrelevant if the bulk of the industry moves towards gaming as a service.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Pheace
nightcraw1er.488: Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
To be fair they are the only online store where all games (excluding Gwent since that is an online multiplayer game) are exclusively DRM free. Other sites that offer DRM free also offer Steam Keys and have games that are only available with Steam DRM.

Other factor could just be that other store fronts have not contacted GOG to be asked to be put on the list.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Not too mention that gog have put themselves as the only ones doing this, convinient. Forget all the other stores, the developer websites, the misdeed and re-implementors doing this, and the companies themselves patching out drm. Nope it's only you lot standing up against the masses (or should we say galaxy?)
wolfsite: To be fair they are the only online store where all games (excluding Gwent since that is an online multiplayer game) are exclusively DRM free. Other sites that offer DRM free also offer Steam Keys and have games that are only available with Steam DRM.

Other factor could just be that other store fronts have not contacted GOG to be asked to be put on the list.
Well that's not true. Folks who had to wait for the day one DVD patch for The Witcher 3 had to put up with some form of DRM. Not only did we have to wait for that patch, which if I remember right arrived corrupted. We had no choice but to install Galaxy on install. Oh yay, no DRM my ass.
ZFR: But what does FCK stand for?
Well that obviously stands for "Fully Control Kooky" DRM.

Great initiative educating people about DRM, Gog. Whenever I can, I always tell people about the benefits of DRM-Free gaming and buy my games from here rather than that other place. >_>
high rated
I don't hate steam from the bottom of my guts but man I was scared when I saw that I had "acquired" licenses. I want games, damn, my games. To own, you know?

Got me this ps4 game the other day (Assetto Corsa) phisically. Is that a... license? f**c no!
That's a game, period. I own it. As mr. F. Zappa once said, I quote: ""Communism (or steam licenses) doesn't work because people like to own stuff."