It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Two related things annoy me now the most:

- Apparently I can't trust GOG Downloader to make uncorrupted downloads, even when it claims the download went fine.

- In the alleged paradise where I'm at the moment, the internet really does suck. I purchased the most expensive AIS 3G data sim that they had in offer, and even that comes with a measly 4 gigabyte download cap per month. After that it drops to 2G/EDGE speeds.

To add salt to the injury, the 3G part does not even work where I am at this very moment, so I am re-downloading the corrupted Blade of Darkness installer over a max 20kB/s connection (usually less). I presume that will be counted to the 4GB/month limit, even though I can't even utilize the 3G speeds...

I feel obliged to do this and install BoD properly, because now I apparently have a failed partial BoD installation on my hard drive which I can't get rid of. Damn GOG, why did you have to remove the default pre-installation integrity check from the new installers?!? Yeah I know there is the manual digital signature method to check the integrity, but I didn't remember it at that point, and it is far too many clicks away. In my opinion the GOG installers should ALWAYS perform the integrity check before the installation, regardless of installer size and whatnot.

One internet shop in this village is offering what sounds like a pretty good WiFi internet deal, 2Mb WiFi connection for about 9.7 USD/month (currency converted). But when I asked about it more, they first want a 32 USD deposit which was not mentioned on their homepage (making it cost 42 USD for this one month), and someone hinted that it is offline quite often, e.g. for some reason they put it offline whenever it rains (ie. when I most probably wanted to use the connection anyway). If they are afraid of thunderstorms, maybe they should use UPS?

There's one place here in this village with a pretty good internet, though. We were a couple of nights in a local motel which includes wired (not wifi) internet with the room price, and it seemed to easily give 5-10 Mbit/s speeds. Too bad we had to move from there, I would have downloaded some corrupted GOGs from there in no time.

On the bright side though, I decided to buy a cheapo HP Ultrabook laptop here (it cost around 500 euros, comes with genuine Windows 8), and even I am quite surprised how well it runs games. It has NVidia GT 630M. For example, Far Cry 2 runs smoothly with pretty much all graphics options at max (1366x768 resolution), as does Assassin's Creed and a few "semi-new" GOG games I tried on it.

I'm going to try out also Witcher and Witcher 2 on it, but I presume it will have serious problems with at least the latter. Even then, I guess I should reverse my stance that laptops costing under 500 euros are not worth it for any gaming besides indies, and games newer than 10 years. Apparently you don't really need to spend well over 1000 euros to a humungous gaming laptop (like my ASUS G75VW), you can get a pretty nice gaming laptop for far less money, as long as you choose wisely, maybe staying clear of Intel graphics.

And I also bought an UPS unit here. Even though laptops have battery backup, it is still quite handy preventing damage from sudden thunderstorms and "dirty" electricity. Just today the power went down for awhile, I didn't notice it besides the UPS unit making a signal sound.

EDIT: And now as I came back a couple hours later, the BoD download had aborted with an error something like "corruption in chunk 3, please contact the support", with no option to resume the download. Damn it... Now I am starting to feel GOG Downloader isn't that reliable yet, I really hope the future revamped version is.
Post edited July 02, 2013 by timppu
Still haven't got my new tyres (unsurprisingly, since they're shipped from the UK). For the time being, I'm using my brother's bike for my errands.

Fucking hell it's weird. It's a basic utility bike, something that most people around here would consider ordinary. However, I'm now used to riding the big-wheeled mountain bike, and, with the exception of the fatbike, it's really hard to think of two bicycles further apart. The geometry is completely different and the weight distribution way off. There's a close-ratio seven-speed hub gear system instead of the sixteen-speed wide-range derailleur that I'm used to. I have to use a foot brake, something that my bikes haven't had in years, and the brakes in general feel underpowered. That's probably due to the MTB having the most ridiculously overpowered brakes for urban cycling rather than the brother's bike being shit, but it feels odd nevertheless.

Oh well. It's still a bike, and any bike is better than no bike, I guess.
tinyE: Roman is checking into my B&B today and is here for FIVE DAYS!!!!! God help me!

Okay so it's really just someone named Roman but wouldn't you be scared?
i guess it's a roman Holiday for him
you know there are some really fucking petty people in the world, and atm they are getting on my fucking nerves - so basically 90% of the fucking idiots I have to work with.

thank you for letting me rant.
Ian: you know there are some really fucking petty people in the world, and atm they are getting on my fucking nerves - so basically 90% of the fucking idiots I have to work with.

thank you for letting me rant.
Employers should pay extra if you have to work with petty people or stop hiring petty people.
My little son decided to get up at 6 a.m this beautiful Saturday morning.
I could very well have lived with seeing the beauty of this day several hours later.
So tired.
Had a stressful week (my colleague is on holidays) and wrote an exam on environmental law yesterday.
Thought I would give TOR another try now that it's free to play. Stopped when my assassin's story was done, but there's still 15 levels to go or something crazy.

Start the download, go to sleep... wake up: still less than half done.

FFS MMOs.
All I wanted to do was replace one fence panel...

But the gate is bolted onto the 4x4 post through that panel, so the gate had to come off. Took it off, put on the new fence panel (simple), and then decided that the gate was in sad shape and warranted rehab.

No problem; we figured we'd use some of the wood pieces from the crappy fence panel to get the gate up-to-snuff. I tore into a bit and figured that it was going to take most of the day to rebuild it, so then went online to see if we could get a replacement gate at Menard's (home 'improvement' joint). A narrower width piece was shown online but not the wider gate we needed so I called the store. "Yeah, we don't carry those. That wider gate simply doesn't hold up under the stress." Bummer, 'cuz I'm now stuck rebuilding that wider unit. "Good luck." Dangit.

Anyway, just 6 hours and half the tools at our disposal later, along with four trips to Ace (a smaller hardware store nearby), I had the gate looking almost new. And I managed to put a fresh dent / crease in the front fender of the new-to-her trucklet when the sun shade fell over. Great - I JUST got the thing titled and registered Wednesday and she's driven it just twice.

$60 gate cost us most of a sunny Saturday and a new fender. But hey, the gate is up and it swings perfectly. heh
I lost power for six and a half hours. That bitch is not from me but rather one that is sure to come issuing from all of you after having been without my presence in the forum for 6 + hours.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. I once severely bruised my tailbone and wasn't able to talk out of my ass for several days which left me all but mute. How those around me suffered. I makes me weep to think back on it.
Its hot humid and disgusting outside fuck summer. Also fuck all of our lazy prick customers at work who treat everyone else like shit, fuck all the people who leave an ass ton of garbage in our outside garbage or messes for me to fucking clean up after I'm not your GOD DAMN MOM. Fuck my stupid ass exec assistant manager for being a lazy dick making all the other managers and the rest of us pick up his stupid ass slack. Fuck life for dealing me 5 shitty hands in a row last year between dealing with a fiancee's mental break, to diabetes, to my fucking father and his lies/divorce with my mom, loosing my job getting one for 3 weeks loosing it and getting another low wage job barely able to pay off fucking student loan debt and bills fuck it all. Heh I feel better now.
RuheBlut: Its hot humid and disgusting outside fuck summer. Also fuck all of our lazy prick customers at work who treat everyone else like shit, fuck all the people who leave an ass ton of garbage in our outside garbage or messes for me to fucking clean up after I'm not your GOD DAMN MOM. Fuck my stupid ass exec assistant manager for being a lazy dick making all the other managers and the rest of us pick up his stupid ass slack. Fuck life for dealing me 5 shitty hands in a row last year between dealing with a fiancee's mental break, to diabetes, to my fucking father and his lies/divorce with my mom, loosing my job getting one for 3 weeks loosing it and getting another low wage job barely able to pay off fucking student loan debt and bills fuck it all. Heh I feel better now.
Yeah, fuck summer. There should only be fall and winter. If I ever become a Batman villain, I'm going to freeze the world.
RuheBlut: Its hot humid and disgusting outside fuck summer. Also fuck all of our lazy prick customers at work who treat everyone else like shit, fuck all the people who leave an ass ton of garbage in our outside garbage or messes for me to fucking clean up after I'm not your GOD DAMN MOM. Fuck my stupid ass exec assistant manager for being a lazy dick making all the other managers and the rest of us pick up his stupid ass slack. Fuck life for dealing me 5 shitty hands in a row last year between dealing with a fiancee's mental break, to diabetes, to my fucking father and his lies/divorce with my mom, loosing my job getting one for 3 weeks loosing it and getting another low wage job barely able to pay off fucking student loan debt and bills fuck it all. Heh I feel better now.
langurmonkey: Yeah, fuck summer. There should only be fall and winter. If I ever become a Batman villain, I'm going to freeze the world.
welcome to Finland. Lets swap houses?

---

on personal side of bitching, my holiday started on friday and i have to go back to work to fill in some papers tomorrow.. also running out of beer.
langurmonkey: Yeah, fuck summer. There should only be fall and winter. If I ever become a Batman villain, I'm going to freeze the world.
iippo: welcome to Finland. Lets swap houses?

---

on personal side of bitching, my holiday started on friday and i have to go back to work to fill in some papers tomorrow.. also running out of beer.
I'd love to move to Finland but I doubt you want to move to MERICA.
iippo: welcome to Finland. Lets swap houses?

---

langurmonkey: I'd love to move to Finland but I doubt you want to move to MERICA.
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)
langurmonkey: I'd love to move to Finland but I doubt you want to move to MERICA.
iippo: Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)
This is usually true but I hate heat and humidity so much, Finland sounds like paradise. Too bad, there is no Finnish Foreign Legion, I'd join in a second. And I've experienced how cold it is in Finland and loved it. The only thing that bothers me about Finnish winters is the lack of sun.
Post edited July 07, 2013 by langurmonkey