It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Don't forget they were planning this since 2012
Attachments:
horror.png (108 Kb)
You know what's funny? What's funny is people are hypocritical and talk is cheap. There were at least 5 people in my activity feed on Steam that put 'negative' reviews of Skyrim where they denouced the curated workshop and blast Valve. ONE DAY LATER, 3 of those 5 people show up on the activity feed with purchases off of steam (activity feed shows when one of your friends buys a game off steam). True story.

That's what's going to happen here. Everyone is all hot and bothered but as soon as a certain title is released or in a sale, at least half (and probably more) of everyone bitching will be right there buying off of Steam. The true indicator will be the Summer sale because Valve knows PC gamers can't turn down a good sale, no matter where it's sold.

In case anyone cares about how much these paid mods are selling and making for the authors, the top two are:

Shadow scale set - 2043 subscriptions - 1.49 (lowest payment you can make) - $761 to the author (25%)
Purity - 1449 subscriptions - 2.99 (set price) - $1083 to the author (25%)
Yasha Sword - 1450 subscriptions - .49 (lowest payment you can make) - $177 to the author
Post edited April 27, 2015 by synfresh
synfresh: You know what's funny? What's funny is people are hypocritical and talk is cheap. There were at least 5 people in my activity feed on Steam that put 'negative' reviews of Skyrim where they denouced the curated workshop and blast Valve. ONE DAY LATER, 3 of those 5 people show up on the activity feed with purchases off of steam (activity feed shows when one of your friends buys a game off steam). True story.

That's what's going to happen here. Everyone is all hot and bothered but as soon as a certain title is released or in a sale, at least half (and probably more) of everyone bitching will be right there buying off of Steam. The true indicator will be the Summer sale because Valve knows PC gamers can't turn down a good sale, no matter where it's sold.
I've uninstalled Steam, so I won't know if there is a sale, and if a game I want is released, I'll buy it on PC only if can get it DRM Free... that's the way to do, otherwise Valve still wins.
synfresh: You know what's funny? What's funny is people are hypocritical and talk is cheap. There were at least 5 people in my activity feed on Steam that put 'negative' reviews of Skyrim where they denouced the curated workshop and blast Valve. ONE DAY LATER, 3 of those 5 people show up on the activity feed with purchases off of steam (activity feed shows when one of your friends buys a game off steam). True story.

You have lousy friends.
Or you are hoping this happenes.
Maybe you hate yourself and want paid mods(i mean 3rd party DLC with no quality control,support or soul).

So instead of being supportive you are a naysayer.That's just grand pall.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by Screamshield

Screamshield: You have lousy friends.
Or you are hoping this happenes.
Maybe you hate yourself and want paid mods(i mean 3rd party DLC with no quality control,support or soul).

So instead of being supportive you are a naysayer.That's just grand pall.
Nah, most just want to play games instead of deprive themselves of games in order to make a 'statement'. Not hoping for anything, it's called reality. Doesn't mean I'm buying them or am forced to buy them.

I support modders making money off their work. I just don't support the implementation since it's piss poor. Those are two different things.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by synfresh
synfresh: The true indicator will be the Summer sale because Valve knows PC gamers can't turn down a good sale, no matter where it's sold.
You underestimate the power of my YO HO HO
And I'm sure I'm not alone in this

In case anyone cares about how much these paid mods are selling and making for the authors, the top two are:

Shadow scale set - 2043 subscriptions - 1.49 (lowest payment you can make) - $761 to the author (25%)
Purity - 1449 subscriptions - 2.99 (set price) - $1083 to the author (25%)
Yasha Sword - 1450 subscriptions - .49 (lowest payment you can make) - $177 to the author
ah humanity...
Honestly, i feel like any kind of morals is a con in this world. Majority doesn't want to be treated right, they want to think they're treated right while they're getting their ass raped.
Relevant: http://imgur.com/a/bqcla?gallery
synfresh: Nah, most just want to play games instead of deprive themselves of games in order to make a 'statement'.

I support modders making money off their work. I just don't support the implementation since it's piss poor. Those are two different things.
Exactly this.

The important thing is that people don't buy any mods from Steam and be vocal about it.

Abandoning Steam itself is not going to be a viable choice for most people, including me, I like games and until another vendor is supplying all the games that Steam does i'm not going to delude myself that I won't be using it anymore.
synfresh: ... That's what's going to happen here. ...
At least for me personally I can say that I can very well resist Steam. The total number of games I own on Steam is exactly one. So if I say that I won't buy paid mods on Steam - at least I won't.

Gnostic: Don't insult DLC because DLC are suppose to work every time the game is updated. DLC is suppose to work with each other and won't break the game if all of them is installed together.
That's surely nice to have but the word DLC alone is pretty generic and could stand for everything as it is. And who says that mods are not fullfilling all these conditions. I think that indeed one could see them as kind of DLC - freelance, semi-professional DLC with slightly lower quality standards.

One should surely expect a paid mod to work fine most of the times the game is updated and it would be nice if the paid mod would work together with all major other DLCs. I guess without it it might not find many paying customers.
SentinelWolf: How different has the derivative work has to be from the original to be considered something else?
Valve might even just go to the point of renaming and keep on selling it, this time without giving modders a cut. ...
Taking two mods and combining them in one might for example constitute a derivative work. So it might be very simple, although I don't think Valve will do that (in the next time) because that would probably cause an even bigger uproar, even if they are legally entitled to do so.

Of course as a mod creator I would never put my work on the Workshop with such bad conditions.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by Trilarion
The worst thing about this is, that modders (the people actually doing the work, wou know) only get 25%.
The modders of TF2, DotA 2 and CS:GO did get $57 millions according to Valve, this means, that Valve has gotten $171 millions.
Paid mods are nothing new, but dass es nun auch Titel treffen soll, die nichtmal Steam exklusiv sind, ist mehr als nur dreist.

With Counter Strike and Half-Life: Gunman at least you didn't need the original game anymore after paying although especcially the fate of Gunman shows why OpenSourcing it at some point would have been the better way. Does anybody get Gunman to work any anything like WinXP SP3 or after?

The fact, that companies are shutting down fan remakes but like to earn lots of money in various ways with community effort and both trends are getting stronger at the same time is really brazen.
Gnostic: Don't insult DLC because DLC are suppose to work every time the game is updated. DLC is suppose to work with each other and won't break the game if all of them is installed together.
Trilarion: That's surely nice to have but the word DLC alone is pretty generic and could stand for everything as it is. And who says that mods are not fullfilling all these conditions. I think that indeed one could see them as kind of DLC - freelance, semi-professional DLC with slightly lower quality standards.

One should surely expect a paid mod to work fine most of the times the game is updated and it would be nice if the paid mod would work together with all major other DLCs. I guess without it it might not find many paying customers.
Well I meant that more as a joke, maybe I should put a smiley on it :P
synfresh: ... That's what's going to happen here. ...
Trilarion: At least for me personally I can say that I can very well resist Steam. The total number of games I own on Steam is exactly one. So if I say that I won't buy paid mods on Steam - at least I won't.
Right but you admit that you are not fully invested in Steam anyway (since you only own one game on there) so resisting Steam isn't that big of a deal. Tell that to someone that has at least over 100 games in the library (some many more). To just up and quit the platform isn't something that is realistic for most people. I actually agree with you that the 25% split to the mod author is low (I won't say unfair because before 25% it was 0). Here is the viewpoint of another mod author and how they look at the 25% split.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ErikWaananen/20150424/241949/In_Defense_of_Valves_New_Steam_Workshop_Storefronts.php
In the end all this means DRMed modding and I don't want that, no matter what, even with a 100% cut for the devs (which will never happen).
They can have my money without even demanding it if they make it OpenSource, but it should at least be DRM-free.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Well sure most people won't leave steam over this. What matters is that the bad publicity and complaints hurt them and Bethesda enough to make other companies not jump the bandwagon. And of course, the more people actually move away from Steam over it the better.

As for some cheap ass modders that don't respect themselves or the community they work for, or were simply paid for writing support... meh, gaming journalism and all that. Everyone has a choice to make, and live with the consequences.

I do hope gamers' memory doesn't turn to be as short.