It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: What's really depressing for me is that I keep seeing Discovery get good reviews. Apparently this level of writing is not only perfectly acceptable today, it's even praise worthy.
It is.
You forget that we live in an age where most writing has to fit in a tweet.

For those few of us who actually remember what the world was like when written word was valued, and when immersion meant a good book found in a local library, it's complete trash of course.

Completely unrelated, but gotta give credit where credit is due...
Has anyone paid attention to Saru's hands when he walks? They swing in a very weird way from side to side. While there's much to complain about Discovery, I think the actor has in this case managed to capture an alien movement maybe better than any other actor in Star Trek history. Too bad it means practically nothing in the context it is in.
PixelBoy: Has anyone paid attention to Saru's hands when he walks? They swing in a very weird way from side to side. While there's much to complain about Discovery, I think the actor has in this case managed to capture an alien movement maybe better than any other actor in Star Trek history. Too bad it means practically nothing in the context it is in.
I noticed that in the last episode when he walks onto the bridge at one point. I think he does a great job as Saru all around, I also like the expressions when his senses go off. One of the very few good things about Discovery.
PixelBoy: Completely unrelated, but gotta give credit where credit is due...
Has anyone paid attention to Saru's hands when he walks? They swing in a very weird way from side to side. While there's much to complain about Discovery, I think the actor has in this case managed to capture an alien movement maybe better than any other actor in Star Trek history. Too bad it means practically nothing in the context it is in.
It's to be expected, it's Doug Jones, a veteran of acting under heavy make-up as various strange creatures in Guillermo Del Toro's movies such as Pan's Labirynth, Hellboy and this years critical darling Shape of Water (which I have not yet seen, I'll make up for it once it's out on DVD). I noticed a lot of such nice touches to his portrayal of Saru, and it's defiantely my favourite character in the show. Unfortuantely he's not free from the "sudden stupidity syndrome", but then no character here is. He's still the most likeable and definately portrayed by the best actor. In fact, seeing him as captain would probably be the only thing that I could possibly look forward to in season 2 at this point.
Post edited February 07, 2018 by Breja
PixelBoy: You forget that we live in an age where most writing has to fit in a tweet.

For those few of us who actually remember what the world was like when written word was valued, and when immersion meant a good book found in a local library, it's complete trash of course.
What I don't understand is why ctitics praise trash like Discovery and The Last Jedi over good stuff. I mean, if all modern writing was bad and we would see universal decline of stories quality, then one could indeed say about different generations. But really there are tv-series today made with smart and worked through story, that require thinking to understand it and having deep ideas.

And such things are even among "pop-corn" entertainment. "Agents of SHIELD" for example has very solid story and deep characters. Or "Dark Matter" that maybe not the best space adventure, but still having a lot to think about. And it also dark, edgy - everything that Discovery trying to be, but in successful way.
I was quite serious in my post that I overall didn't mind the episode. I think you guys are being a bit too hard on the show. There were logical sidesteps in the old shows as well. The old shows conducted themselves with a little more restraint, or deference, but it still happened.

It's like with Tyler. It's early. They clearly don't trust him enough to reinstate his commission. They're just refusing to place further restrictions on him because of the special circumstances, and that's totally a Starfleet thing to do. You can fixate on whether Tyler is really Tyler but you can do the same thing every time somebody transports.

Obviously the issue of Tyler not being Tyler can still come into play, but I think what needs remembering is taking care not to mix an external method of viewing the show with an internal one. The characters don't concern themselves with Tyler as a plot device.

There's lots of ways Tyler can go yet and lots of different aspects that could affect his development. Was the Klingy Kruger lying about what she was really doing? Is Tyler's mind really in there or is Voq's mind just rearranged half of the time? Will Voq's mind eventually lose its ability to act like Tyler? If Tyler really is in there, will Tyler's mind being present on a Klingon head cause it to change more Klingon-esque over time? I think that the show will intentionally avoid some of this stuff so as not to get tangled up in too much scientific or logical consistency, as it has by now demonstrated a certain disregard for integrity for the sake of narrative as you guys know.

But I mean, what was so bad? Yes it's kind of juvenile that they need evil Georgiou to teach them how to be evil, and in my opinion they got the tone on that wrong. They need evil Georgiou because she's already won a war with the Klingons and that is experience they can use.
johnnygoging: I was quite serious in my post that I overall didn't mind the episode. I think you guys are being a bit too hard on the show. There were logical sidesteps in the old shows as well. The old shows conducted themselves with a little more restraint, or deference, but it still happened.

It's like with Tyler. It's early. They clearly don't trust him enough to reinstate his commission. They're just refusing to place further restrictions on him because of the special circumstances, and that's totally a Starfleet thing to do.
It's really not. Let me remind you - he already murdered a man. There is no way that would just be let go. Remember Lon Suder played by Brad Dourif on Voyager? He had a legit insanity plea. But even after he "got better" thanks to his mind meld with Tuvok and months of Volcan training, he was still confined to his quarters.

And no one is saying the old shows were perfect. But we just discussed this when talking about Spock's Brain. When a single, self contained episode is stupid it's very different from plot holes piling up in a continous story.

And, as we also alredy discussed, it's a matter of context. Of the chosen style. It's one thing for a comedy episode like Troubles with Tribbles or the wonderfuly campy Shore Leave to be silly. It's another for Discovery which is dead set on being (or at least trying to be) a stone faced serious war drama all the time.
Post edited February 08, 2018 by Breja
Disclaimer: yep, I still like Discovery.

At first I felt the outrage of everybody suddently accepting Tyler as if nothing had ever happened, but I calmed down after Tilly's scenes. Her explanations were good enough for me. The original Tyler died and his conscience was put inside Voq's modified body, while, according to the new doctor, Voq's conscience is gone (yeah, seems legit). If someone dies, but all his memories find their way to a new body, is he really dead? For all purposes, they considered him 100% Tyler and a different person from the one that killed Hugh. It's not that different from welcoming Picard with open arms after he was transformed into a Borg. That's part of their moral code. Starfleet officers are usually the epitome of Lawful Good characters, but those are prone to become Lawful Stupid (in Star Trek, the most notorious example is Janeway in Voyager's pilot episode). That's what I truly expect from Starfleet. Yes, it's probably going to backfire horribly. And it will be glorious to watch.

What keeps failing, in my opinion, is the non-existing chemistry between Michael and Tyler. Which is a shame because they have had great non-romantic interactions with other characters. They just don't click. On the other hand, Stamets' reaction to Tyler was perfect: not completely forgiving, but not annoying and revengeful.

The map shown in the previous episode was misleading. The Klingons only occupy 20% of Federation space, so the war is far from over. I don't think anymore they will travel back in time, and that's for the better.

The "plan" with Georgiou is so outlandish it might work. Let's remember that the only character who saw Georgiou dead was Michael. I didn't believe they would dare to do it... and then they did dare! Plus, more Michelle Yeoh (I welcome the fanservice).

I also noticed Jason Isaacs is still listed in the opening credits. It could mean nothing... or something.
Caesar.: according to the new doctor, Voq's conscience is gone
I think the main problem here is that they missed Voq's personality (and his body if that part is true) during the very first scan. How do they know that everything is completely gone now?
Caesar.: according to the new doctor, Voq's conscience is gone
LootHunter: I think the main problem here is that they missed Voq's personality (and his body if that part is true) during the very first scan. How do they know that everything is completely gone now?
Maybe it's one of those things that you need to actively seek to find in the analysis. Anyway, they will probably just come up with something like "Voq's personality was so well hidden that it could fool our scans" when he comes back. One can't take technobabble too seriously.
LootHunter: I think the main problem here is that they missed Voq's personality (and his body if that part is true) during the very first scan. How do they know that everything is completely gone now?
Caesar.: Maybe it's one of those things that you need to actively seek to find in the analysis. Anyway, they will probably just come up with something like "Voq's personality was so well hidden that it could fool our scans" when he comes back. One can't take technobabble too seriously.
Again, no one said anything about Voq disappearing or not being there anymore. Just that "the patient now presents as Ash Tyler". So, you know, exactly like he did before. Plus the doctor admits she doesn't understand the underlying science one bit. So basically:

-Hey, do you feel like a crazy Klingon today?
-Not really, no.
-Cool, we can roll with that. Here, have a GPS bracelet so we know where you are when you snap someone's neck again.
Caesar.: Maybe it's one of those things that you need to actively seek to find in the analysis. Anyway, they will probably just come up with something like "Voq's personality was so well hidden that it could fool our scans" when he comes back. One can't take technobabble too seriously.
Breja: Again, no one said anything about Voq disappearing or not being there anymore. Just that "the patient now presents as Ash Tyler". So, you know, exactly like he did before. Plus the doctor admits she doesn't understand the underlying science one bit. So basically:

-Hey, do you feel like a crazy Klingon today?
-Not really, no.
-Cool, we can roll with that. Here, have a GPS bracelet so we know where you are when you snap someone's neck again.
I think the new doctor mentioned that she had repeated one test that Hugh had not done at first but did later (the one that "proved" that Tyler had two mind patterns or something like that) and it looked normal now. But really, when you venture into technobabble territory wth made-up science, they could say almost anything and get away with it.
Ok, I watched the last episod and I know now the Discovery's greatest secert! And that great wisdom of show creators is follows:

To defeat klingons you just need to tell them that you can blow their homeworld. And that's all - they are so gulliable that they instantly do everything you say without question or request for proof or demonstration.
Caesar.: I think the new doctor mentioned
The doctor mentioned that she DOESN'T KNOW anything about procedure Voq/Tyler went through and so she can't think of any test to make sure klingon personality is gone. She literally said that she can't suggest anything other than simply asking him.
Caesar.: The map shown in the previous episode was misleading. The Klingons only occupy 20% of Federation space, so the war is far from over.
I think you are mistaken - it was Federation that occupied only 20% of it's former territory.
johnnygoging: The characters don't concern themselves with Tyler as a plot device.
Yes, and that's why compromised crewmember and potential enemy can walk free around the most significant Federation ship.
Post edited February 12, 2018 by LootHunter
Breja: One. So pretty much zero chance of the war wrapping up this season
Do you know what was your mistake? You tried to assess how many episodes should it take to finish the war through logic and common sense. But totally forgot that Discovery follows neither.
Post edited February 12, 2018 by LootHunter
Worst Star Ttrek ever!\

I thought ST:Enterprise was bad but discovery gives a new meaning to bad show.

Wish they never released this crap.
SPOILERS for final episode!

What an epic conclusion to a devastating war.

*Yawn*

[spoiler]

Who's that? Oh the unmemorable character from pilot everyone forgot about since then as it was not important at all.
Oh, he is the one to end the war because he can destroy Qo'NoS and that makes him quailfied to just overthrown every powerful house.
OK.

But we got Enterprsie so everything's cool, right guys? Right?!

[/spoiler]
Post edited February 12, 2018 by Vitek