It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm not interested in most DLCs and I try to find out what games are going to have DLC for a lot of the game content, then I skip the game. XD

I suppose the best thing to do would be to stop purchasing games that will require DLC for helicopter flying and such. Of course, we don't know it in some cases until the game is released.

Too bad we don't have a lot of code devices like with the older consoles such as Codemasters to open up all that code for the DLCs. I know the game companies would hate it, and I'm sure somehow it would be illegal.

The industry needs to be mature and move on. Just give me a game, something to play, and stop trying to take my money for activities and gameplay that should be part of the game. I'm a penny pincher, I don't give money for extra unless I want it worth it.

It would be funny if game developers start to wonder why their DLC is not selling and start to make humorous angry statements like, "You don't understand. Please, just give us your money. The way we can get extra money is if you buy everything in the game." Or empty threats like "If you don't buy the DLC we won't make a sequel."

Well, I can dream.
chevkoch: Insane practices.

Haha, yeah - saving function as DLC, after this one it sure wouldn't be a surprise.
Kardwill: Nah, not as DLC. For something that you do over, and over, and over again, microtransaction is more likely.

"For the low price of 0.99 Euros, get 10 save tokens. Those tokens let you save ANYWHERE once. Don't miss that revolutionary feature"
The DLC will be for the autosave ^^
My apologies if you know of this already, but there's already a game which pretty much does this (albeit, as satire): http://store.steampowered.com/app/230050/
This seems just as bad as the ridiculous "Horse Armor" DLC of Skyrim. I really can't stand "DLC." Remember "expansion packs?" You know, those software packages that were optional? I didn't mind those since they weren't absolutely necessary to play the main game.

I remember when GOG used to bundle all the expansion packs/DLC as one product, so one didn't have to shell out more money for no reason. But now DLC seems to appear more and more. :-/
http://www.desura.com/games/dlc-quest

Not an endorsement. I don't have it. I've only heard of it as a successful satire piece about DLC.
rampancy: My apologies if you know of this already, but there's already a game which pretty much does this (albeit, as satire): http://store.steampowered.com/app/230050/
Either played or watched that played to a degree. Upgrade on [s]newgrounds[/s] Kongregate reminds me a little of that, except everything you need to start at the bottom rung, including getting loaned $1000 to get a start button to start flying through missions. Upgrade graphics music sound and menu options several times until you complete the game to a level of competency that you can play with rather than just colored triangles or crayon art. Thankfully totally satire and no micro-transactions.
IronArcturus: This seems just as bad as the ridiculous "Horse Armor" DLC of Skyrim. I really can't stand "DLC." Remember "expansion packs?" You know, those software packages that were optional? I didn't mind those since they weren't absolutely necessary to play the main game.
You mean for Oblivion? In which there wasn't a single mention of Horse Armor anywhere in the base game, and for which you didn't need the Horse Armor DLC at all as it didn't have any practical functionality, just made your horse look different? ... Yeah. I love informed opinions!
Fenixp: You mean for Oblivion? In which there wasn't a single mention of Horse Armor anywhere in the base game, and for which you didn't need the Horse Armor DLC at all as it didn't have any practical functionality, just made your horse look different? ... Yeah. I love informed opinions!
Ok, so it was Oblivion and not Skyrim. But my point still stands that it was just one example of completely unnecessary DLC and it doesn't add to the game at all. I wish GOG would continue to bundle all the expansion packs together (more so for older games) as one game pack, rather than doing separate DLC each for newer games.
Post edited January 07, 2015 by IronArcturus
rtcvb32: Maybe someone needs to compile a list of this crap and make a 30 minute video of THINGS WRONG WITH GAMES TODAY, and then list not only the games but publishers to avoid unless they promise not to do it again.
The Codex has got you covered!
There are different ways of handling it DLCs, and especially the pricing.

I have just succumbed to Origin and purchased Dragon Age II for half price (€10). As soon as I did so, I was greeted with a screen showing me the DLC options :-/ I was expecting this, but still. Most of them don't bother me since they are gear packs and I don't really care about those.

However, there are three expanded mission packs worth collectively 2160 Bioware points or whatever invented currency they use. I think it looks like about €25.

Yes, I was expecting to pay for more DLC. I'm a little miffed the sale itself didn't extend to the DLC on offer.

At least on Steam, when you buy a game on sale, there is usually a DLC discount as well. Hell, I just bought Shadow of Mordor and the DLCs on sale a couple weeks ago - and that is a recent game. Dragon Age II is now old, and the DLC are still up there in price.

Now if Dragon Age II were on GOG.com it would be a deluxe edition and everything would be included, as well as a sound track, wall papers, concept art and a scan of a vintage hand written memo from John Riccitello explaining why it is wrong for anyone else in the world to have money besides EA.
anomaly: There are different ways of handling it DLCs, and especially the pricing.

I have just succumbed to Origin and purchased Dragon Age II for half price (€10). As soon as I did so, I was greeted with a screen showing me the DLC options :-/ I was expecting this, but still. Most of them don't bother me since they are gear packs and I don't really care about those.

However, there are three expanded mission packs worth collectively 2160 Bioware points or whatever invented currency they use. I think it looks like about €25.

Yes, I was expecting to pay for more DLC. I'm a little miffed the sale itself didn't extend to the DLC on offer.

At least on Steam, when you buy a game on sale, there is usually a DLC discount as well. Hell, I just bought Shadow of Mordor and the DLCs on sale a couple weeks ago - and that is a recent game. Dragon Age II is now old, and the DLC are still up there in price.

Now if Dragon Age II were on GOG.com it would be a deluxe edition and everything would be included, as well as a sound track, wall papers, concept art and a scan of a vintage hand written memo from John Riccitello explaining why it is wrong for anyone else in the world to have money besides EA.
Worst part is Bioware points never go on sale. So you still pay full price for the dlc's after all these years.
IronArcturus: ...
But "expansion packs" also still exist, kind of. At least that is what I consider (to stay with Bethesda) Fallout 3's and Skyrim's DLCs. They are separate stories that aren't necessary to enjoy the base game.
Also, and I don't even like Bethesda, at least you don't run into NPCs that tell you about these amazing adventures and then prompt you to buy DLC (afaik - correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

That seems to be the main issue here, if we're still talking about the helicopter. It just sits there, teasing you. It may not be necessary to have a helicopter but it's a dick move to put it there and go "lol nope, buy it".
enigmaxg2: If people keeps buying DLC's, game developers will continue to split even more parts of the games to sell them separately.

I'm still waiting for a DLC which is worthy to be called expansion.
Dragonfall for Shadowrun Returns. A full blown campaign, longer and better than the base game, with new gear, new characters, new skins, new enemies, branching story, a new "companions" system (rather than the expendable mercenaries of the base game), a complete reworking of the combat system... It was later re-released as a stand-alone expansion (free of charge for the people who already bought the DLC)

Now THAT'S what I call DLC made right :)
Post edited January 07, 2015 by Kardwill
I'm fine with DLC, as long as I'm not forced to buy the game in parts (ie. buy the DLC in parts after purchasing the game). I want to know already beforehand how much "the whole package" will end up costing me. Hence, I prefer GOTY and Gold Editions long after the game release, including all the official content, Horse Armor included. "Season Passes" don't really cut it either, because there I am paying for something which I have no idea how much extra content there will be.

This way, I can more easily decide myself whether I want to become a $200 customer like EA and Ubisoft are probably wishing. You want me to pay $200 for playing your game? Fine, then be frank about it, and don't try to trick me into paying that amount by hiding it into small microtransactions, micro-DLCs etc. Then I can decide already beforehand whether I really want to pay $200 for your game, before investing time on it.

Yes I know not all DLC is needed for a game to be considered complete and blaa blaa blaa, but the problem is that I have no convenient way of knowing beforehand which DLCs are "important" and which are "unimportant" to me (after all I'd need to play them myself in order to make such a decision)... so it is just more straightforward to consider buying them all at the same time for the full experience.

Same problem with "free to play" games as well. Well, at least they are free to start. I've yet to buy anything in any F2P game, but apparently some do that, considering how big Clash of Clans became. I'll still mention that nowadays I don't quite get the hate Dungeon Keeper Mobile got specifically, considering that to me Clash of Clans, and that Star Wars Clash of Clans clone from LucasArts, seem just as bad. Don't pay => wait for several hours for mundane things to be finished (and it seems to get worse, the longer you play the game).
Post edited January 07, 2015 by timppu
Cyraxpt: On the other hand, everyone is free to buy it or ignore it, sad that they taunt it by showing it to non-dlc users...
It's a sensible alternative to completely excluding players from missions where the helicopters are present. I mean, what's better: practically automatically exclude all players from a huge portion of multiplayer sessions if they don't own all DLC OR allowing them to join the matches but simply not allow them to use these items?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the direction Bohemia Interactive has taken with DLC at all, I generally don't like where the company is headed and it's outrageous that they want thirteen bucks for two helicopters while for the original Operation Flashpoint you'd get a huge new map, an epic campaign, tons of new SP and MP missions, DOZENS of new weapons and vehicles, big engine additions etc. for thirty bucks if you bought Resistance (not to mention the completely free Gold Upgrade for the base game). HOWEVER, I think people are misinterpreting the company's intentions with the stuff OP is ranting about.

Unlike say Battlefield ARMA isn't perfectly portioned into (compared to ARMA) small maps each of which has an exactly pre-defined set of vehicles and stuff (correct me if I'm wrong about BF here, I haven't played BF multiplayer since BF2), you can't just draw a clear line that says "this is DLC area". Any such attempts would be one incredible mess. Being allowed to participate in sessions which happen to include DLC content somehow somewhere on the map and display a popup when you try to actively use it is a much better alternative to just excluding them from these sessions in some way altogether. Getting a "you can't join this match because..." almost whenever you try to connect would be far worse (and I believe the rants would be even bigger than they already are).

As someone who experienced zillions of such popups and glitches in the original Operation Flashpoint because of all the unique custom content used in the vast majority of fan-made missions I can only be grateful for how BIS decided to handle missing DLC. What appears to be nothing else than insanely aggressive, intrusive and provoking advertizing is - on a purely technical level - probably the best way to handle the issue. The only real problem I see is - as I said before - how they portion and price the DLC.
Post edited January 07, 2015 by F4LL0UT
IronArcturus: But my point still stands that it was just one example of completely unnecessary DLC and it doesn't add to the game at all.
a) Correct. In other words, you don't need it if you don't want it. So why even care?
b)
IronArcturus: I didn't mind those since they weren't absolutely necessary to play the main game.
? Horse armor isn't absolutely necessary to play the main game. In fact, out of dozes of games for which you may buy DLC that I also own, I know of three which do have DLC that's considered absolutely necessary.
enigmaxg2: I'm still waiting for a DLC which is worthy to be called expansion.
Dragonfall, which already got mentioned.
Dragonborn and Dawnguard for Skyrim
Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches for Dishonored
Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2
Burial at Sea for Bioshock Infinite
Is that enough or should I go on?
Post edited January 07, 2015 by Fenixp